Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 42
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 3:45:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's funny, I liked it better the second time around as well. I was able to be more critical, knowing what would happen next - caught more lens flares, admittedly. I also saw it in light of this and the dozen or so other threads - all of which I had avoided before the first viewing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
saw it again today.  The fan service was nowhere near as distracting as it was the 1st time.  I think I actually got to enjoy the original parts of the story more with the excited-ness of seeing a SW movie at the theater out of the way.  I also was more impressed with the acting of the new people, esp Rey

It's funny, I liked it better the second time around as well. I was able to be more critical, knowing what would happen next - caught more lens flares, admittedly. I also saw it in light of this and the dozen or so other threads - all of which I had avoided before the first viewing.

Actually I enjoyed it more the second time for a different reason.  We noticed that the music for the scene where Rey realizes her true destiny is the same when Luke realizes his in Episode IV.  Williams knocked that one out of the park.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 4:51:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
saw it again today.  The fan service was nowhere near as distracting as it was the 1st time.  I think I actually got to enjoy the original parts of the story more with the excited-ness of seeing a SW movie at the theater out of the way.  I also was more impressed with the acting of the new people, esp Rey

I suspect I'll enjoy it more the next time I watch it - and maybe even grow to like it - because I won't be so surprised and disappointed that it's such a rehash of the Original Trilogy.  It's also possible that the next two will be good enough to lift this one up, but it'll always remain much less than it should be.

Quoted:
Actually I enjoyed it more the second time for a different reason.  We noticed that the music for the scene where Rey realizes her true destiny is the same when Luke realizes his in Episode IV.  Williams knocked that one out of the park.

The music, while good because it's "Star Wars Music", was almost entirely variations of the classic melodies.  It's probably the least work he's ever done for a feature film.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
lol yeah

but how many people go to avatar conventions or watch it a couple times a year.

making a shit load of money doesn't mean it has staying power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

for all the nay sayers and haters The Force Awakens has crossed $600m domestically as of the 29th. it took Avatar 34 weeks to hit $750m. at this rate TFA will pass Avatar as the highest domestic grossing movie of all time.....in about another week.

think about that.

people LOVE this movie. I went on Saturday. movie had been out for a week and people were STILL showing up for the Saturday afternoon showings dressed as Chewbacca! some old lady walking in had a star wars shirt on.

lol yeah

but how many people go to avatar conventions or watch it a couple times a year.

making a shit load of money doesn't mean it has staying power.
How many people killed themselves since they wanted to be reborn on Tatooine? Avatar fans are a demented lot.

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I suspect I'll enjoy it more the next time I watch it - and maybe even grow to like it - because I won't be so surprised and disappointed that it's such a rehash of the Original Trilogy.  It's also possible that the next two will be good enough to lift this one up, but it'll always remain much less than it should be.

The music, while good because it's "Star Wars Music", was almost entirely variations of the classic melodies.  It's probably the least work he's ever done for a feature film.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree on the Music point. Take a listen to the soundtrack; it has lots of new music and, yes lots of callbacks. It is different from what the Prequels did with no real hit single or music video released before the film, but it's there. Here's a good podcast on the music. http://www.rebelforceradio.com/shows/2015/12/30/star-wars-oxygen-vol-25-the-force-awakens-part-1

Here's the theme of the film. You hear it all over the place referenced all up in it!
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The score is quite enjoyable, and it meshed well with the movie.  However, one thing that may have already been posted in this thread (sorry, didn't read it all) is that John Williams only composed the score.  He did very little conducting.  Also, this is the first Star Wars film not to be scored by the London Symphony Orchestra.  So, in that respect, he didn't do as much work as he normally would.  Getting old sucks.

Quoted:

THIS x87.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The score is quite enjoyable, and it meshed well with the movie.  However, one thing that may have already been posted in this thread (sorry, didn't read it all) is that John Williams only composed the score.  He did very little conducting.  Also, this is the first Star Wars film not to be scored by the London Symphony Orchestra.  So, in that respect, he didn't do as much work as he normally would.  Getting old sucks.

THIS x87.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS x87.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS x87.

Click To View Spoiler

So you think the musical choice is hinting that Rey is related to Luke?  I'm sure Williams and Abrams didn't choose that music for nothing.

Or is that the Force theme?  Is it both Luke's theme and the Force theme?  I'm not even sure.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 3:22:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So you think the musical choice is hinting that Rey is related to Luke?  I'm sure Williams and Abrams didn't choose that music for nothing.

Or is that the Force theme?  Is it both Luke's theme and the Force theme?  I'm not even sure.
View Quote

I think that's reading too much into it.  It was the big epiphany moment for each of them so, same music.

ETA:  So that music was a last minute substitution?  Smart, very smart.  Made the moment 10X bigger.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#12]
This clip was so well done I felt I had to share it will you all

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/hN74bOubUug
View Quote

Awesome!
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 11:15:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw it today and thought it was awesome! I loved the Falcon action. I also liked Kylo.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#15]
that old dottering fool Lucas wants to direct episode 8. he's got a change.org petition going:

https://www.facebook.com/topic/George-Lucas/108208072540650?source=wtfrt&position=1&trqid=6238880645172675185
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/hN74bOubUug
View Quote

it was excellent. thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
that old dottering fool Lucas wants to direct episode 8. he's got a change.org petition going:

https://www.facebook.com/topic/George-Lucas/108208072540650?source=wtfrt&position=1&trqid=6238880645172675185
View Quote

I'm not so sure Lucas should do it, but I really really really hope Abrams is no where near it.  It'll probably be Michael Bay.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm not so sure Lucas should do it, but I really really really hope Abrams is no where near it.  It'll probably be Michael Bay.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's get M. Night Shamalamadingdong in there, or maybe the Wachowski sisters.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather see a fan do it.  Maybe Kevin Smith, even though he's said IIRC he'd be too scared to do it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Whoever the faggot that posted the spoiler to GD, may a million fucks be upon you.  Sucked to know what was going to happen.
View Quote

This.

When I saw it in GD, I closed my browser.  I don't even remember who the miserable fuck was that did it, so that I can put them on ignore for the future.

I finally got to see it this weekend with my daughter.    I thought all of the pieces were there, but the film lacked chemistry between the characters.   The only ones who really started to develop a chemistry were Rey and Han, and even that felt rushed.

I understand that they were essentially re-introducing us to the universe, without doing a reboot, and that there was a lot of ground to cover and still have an exciting story.   But I missed feeling like I had an emotional investment in the characters.

That being said...   Seeing the Millennium Falcon take off and fly again, on the big screen for the first time since my childhood, nearly made me cry.   The scene where the X-wings come burning over the lake was awesome.

I need to see it again, without a wiggly six year old on my lap eating popcorn and swedish fish.    It's not everything that I had hoped for, but it is far better than I feared it would be.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.

When I saw it in GD, I closed my browser.  I don't even remember who the miserable fuck was that did it, so that I can put them on ignore for the future.

I finally got to see it this weekend with my daughter.    I thought all of the pieces were there, but the film lacked chemistry between the characters.   The only ones who really started to develop a chemistry were Rey and Han, and even that felt rushed.

I understand that they were essentially re-introducing us to the universe, without doing a reboot, and that there was a lot of ground to cover and still have an exciting story.   But I missed feeling like I had an emotional investment in the characters.

That being said...   Seeing the Millennium Falcon take off and fly again, on the big screen for the first time since my childhood, nearly made me cry.   The scene where the X-wings come burning over the lake was awesome.

I need to see it again, without a wiggly six year old on my lap eating popcorn and swedish fish.    It's not everything that I had hoped for, but it is far better than I feared it would be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoever the faggot that posted the spoiler to GD, may a million fucks be upon you.  Sucked to know what was going to happen.

This.

Another team member decided to be a fucking cunt on purpose, and posted the spoiler in a thread specifically created to warn people not to read the spoiler thread.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

i'm not gonna lie...I squeed when I saw the Falcon.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

The initial Falcon scene was nothing but bad ass. My only disappointment was that they found it in the condition it was in, the Falcon should have either remained in active service or it should have been destroyed in war. It's a legend.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

DO NOT WANT

Georgie, you were a genius for a few years there. All your great ideas happened - let's not forget, he also had the idea for Raiders of the Lost Ark - in one frenetic, amazing period in the mid 1970s.

Maybe you dropped acid and had the most amazing, profitable trip ever, I don't know, but it doesn't matter... Star Wars has moved on, and it's better now than when you left it.

It says hi.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I saw it without a wiggly six year old on my lap and can confirm, it's great.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'd rather see a fan do it.  Maybe Kevin Smith, even though he's said IIRC he'd be too scared to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a list of good directors that I think could do a good job....but really that's the easy part, it's the script/writing that's crucial. Everything that's really wrong with the franchise, and the latest movie, relate to that most profoundly IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have a list of good directors that I think could do a good job....but really that's the easy part, it's the script/writing that's crucial. Everything that's really wrong with the franchise, and the latest movie, relate to that most profoundly IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An Alfonso Cuarón Star Wars movie would be interesting.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I finally got to see it...

Was not impressed really, maybe it was ruined for me by the spoiler posted in GD.

I'm sure he isn't really dead though, they'll explain that away somehow.

Did anyone else notice that Kylo Ren has HUGE ears?
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Movie is still bad after time to reflect upon it since release.

That is all.

Continue gents.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#30]
It's about what I expected from Abrams -  it's a product, designed to sell tickets, and thus caters to the lowest common denominator.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think that's why he keeps his hair long now.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rian Johnson wrote eps 8 and 9 and is directing ep 8.

m

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:50:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Have people realized Kylon Ren is a bad mofo finally? Dude had to be literally holding his guts in after taking a bowcaster shot to the gut and he still merked on Finn and barely lost to Rey.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:54:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Have people realized Kylon Ren is a bad mofo finally? Dude had to be literally holding his guts in after taking a bowcaster shot to the gut and he still merked on Finn and barely lost to Rey.
View Quote

lol

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:57:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

This is the same bowcaster that sends stormtroopers flying twenty feet back with the Willhelm scream, and he just takes a QB kneel when he takes it to the gut.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:03:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

Who's more foolish, the Fool or the fools that sign his petition?

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:13:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

It's about what I expected from Abrams -  it's a product, designed to sell tickets, and thus caters to the lowest common denominator.
View Quote

Well what the fuck were you expecting from a STAR WARS movie?
I love Star Wars, have since I saw it when I was 5 the weekend it came out in '77, but lets face it they never have been (nor would they work as) something like an Ingmar Bergman film.
If you want something "highbrow" with Lucas attached to it go watch THX 1138. Seriously. I am actually violating the laws of man, nature, logic and considerate movie advising and flat out recommending THX 1138 to you, and I sincerely hope you watch it. That is how ridiculous your comment is.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:21:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey George...

FUCK OFF

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:25:02 AM EDT
[#39]
The moment I saw Ren Force freeze the blaster shot, I knew he was a bad motherf**cker.  Best part was after cutting down the village elder, ordering the execution of the villagers, he nonchalantly unfreezes the blaster shot.

Reminded me of Vader absorbing/deflecting Hans blaster shots in Cloud City with his pimp hand.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

DO NOT WANT

Georgie, you were a genius for a few years there. All your great ideas happened - let's not forget, he also had the idea for Raiders of the Lost Ark - in one frenetic, amazing period in the mid 1970s.

Maybe you dropped acid and had the most amazing, profitable trip ever, I don't know, but it doesn't matter... Star Wars has moved on, and it's better now than when you left it.

It says hi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DO NOT WANT

It says hi.

He also had Indy and Marion having a statutory rape type relationship. Lucas is nuts. He had awesome editors in the old days.

Quoted:
The moment I saw Ren Force freeze the blaster shot, I knew he was a bad motherf**cker.  Best part was after cutting down the village elder, ordering the execution of the villagers, he nonchalantly unfreezes the blaster shot.

Reminded me of Vader absorbing/deflecting Hans blaster shots in Cloud City with his pimp hand.

Anyone else think that Ren is freezing shots and people with technology and not the Force? Is that why he's so frustrated? There's always that buzzing sound when he freezes something and doesn't seem to have to concentrate on it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Super edgy bruh.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The initial Falcon scene was nothing but bad ass. My only disappointment was that they found it in the condition it was in, the Falcon should have either remained in active service or it should have been destroyed in war. It's a legend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did the same.  I thought it was great, and then went "wtf is the Falcon doing in a junk yard?"  Then came the depressing CGI flying just afterwards. (somebody should fire their flight physics dept)

Abrams could've had all his nostalgia requirements in one scene.  Picture them with Han visiting a museum to break the Falcon out because in its computers holds a part of the map to Luke's whereabouts.  They enter and there it is in static display, along with the Tydirium Shuttle, wreckage of the Death Star, old stormtrooper armor, Wedge's X-Wing, etc.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This x1000.  I agree completely.  Normally, Disney makes EXCELLENT choices with their storytelling, but was influenced in no small part by abrams.  I'm betting they were a bit overwhelmed on where to start with this and went modern Hollywood, rather than making a good story.  I don't know if they did or not, but if I were in charge and it had to be Disney, I'd enlist the folks from Pixar to write the story up, with a caveat on making sure it was fan approved.  Not celebrity fan, but regular fan.  Lots of ways one could do that just by visiting forums.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Lol, the Falcon's flight profile was unrealistic. I have heard it all.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well, I finally got to see it...

Was not impressed really, maybe it was ruined for me by the spoiler posted in GD.

I'm sure he isn't really dead though, they'll explain that away somehow.

View Quote

First thing my daughter said.  He took off his mask and she looks up at me like and says "he looks like a sissy elf".
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

LoL I know it's a movie, but you watch The Force Awakens, and then you watch the original trilogy, you'll understand.  To put it in simple terms, in The Force Awakens it looks like a kid holding the ships going "pew pew" while playing in his bath tub.  Watch the trilogy, and you'll see they move more like aircraft.  

The whole point is that they seem natural in flight.  You don't want to be watching a dogfight scene and be distracted by weirdness.  TFA has shit CGI and there's no way around it.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is the same bowcaster that sends stormtroopers flying twenty feet back with the Willhelm scream, and he just takes a QB kneel when he takes it to the gut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Guess it was a bad time for his blaster bolt stopping mojo to be on the fritz...
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

LoL I know it's a movie, but you watch The Force Awakens, and then you watch the original trilogy, you'll understand.  To put it in simple terms, in The Force Awakens it looks like a kid holding the ships going "pew pew" while playing in his bath tub.  Watch the trilogy, and you'll see they move more like aircraft.  

The whole point is that they seem natural in flight.  You don't want to be watching a dogfight scene and be distracted by weirdness.  TFA has shit CGI and there's no way around it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not entirely accurate... I have watched the original trilogy somewhere in the dozens of times, and including the very unretouched original versions where the matte lines around the spaceships was painfully visible. Even as a kid watching ANH, the Falcon looked completely unreal physics-wise during the escape from the Death Star (you know what I mean, where they back out of the docking bay).

When I watch a dogfight using completely unrealistic spaceships, I re-tune my expectations. And don't forget, if you buy into the way this milieu operates, they're not just using the rockets at the back. There are repulsors that come into play as well, that contribute to the Falcon's flyability and stability.

Not an attempt at an argument... Only that you don't seem to be giving this new movie the pass you do the originals. Re-watch them; there are physics issues in those movies too, if you don't suspend that disbelief.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

why would space ships move like aircraft that need lift under their wings?

Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top