Quoted:

I'll grab some pictures this weekend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Egan Performance air filter showed up for the 500i. Might get a chance to run it this afternoon and see how it does.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/82898296-A8B9-4421-98A6-1D8F48CEF41E-2611071.jpg

I wish someone would make one of those for the ol' Huskies.
@fox2008, what does your airfilter mount look like?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Brother bought me a ms271 for my birthday. Picked up a can of vp gas just to have fuel to run it and some Stihl bar and chain oil. Have a sharpener on the way and picked up some chaps and a helmet since I'm a noob. Already spent hours watching videos on working saws along with how to make the cuts and aim the tree.

About a week after I got it my brother called and told me my mom was trimming and planned to cut down 2 small (6 inch diameter) trees with a 6 inch hand saw from wal Mart. Called her and told her to stop and id help. 2 hour drive and 10 minutes of cutting and both were down. Limbed them and cut them into foot long peices for her.

Now just waiting for my next camping trip. We won't be hand sawing downed trees for firewood anymore, it'll be super quick.

That said, for those who don't have gas station pump access to Ethan free gas where are you getting your gas? What oil are you running? Since I'm using the saw infrequently I may just stick with premix.

That said it's been too long since I've smelled premix, wonder if it's overkill to run vp race gas with amsoil just so I can smell that wonderful smell I miss about racing 2 stroke 125s

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It’s going to get into the low 30’s today….I prefer to cut in these temps. You’re cold for about 15 minutes until you start working…after that you start stripping off layers because it’s too hot.
View Quote

Truth.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Brother bought me a ms271 for my birthday. Picked up a can of vp gas just to have fuel to run it and some Stihl bar and chain oil. Have a sharpener on the way and picked up some chaps and a helmet since I'm a noob. Already spent hours watching videos on working saws along with how to make the cuts and aim the tree.

About a week after I got it my brother called and told me my mom was trimming and planned to cut down 2 small (6 inch diameter) trees with a 6 inch hand saw from wal Mart. Called her and told her to stop and id help. 2 hour drive and 10 minutes of cutting and both were down. Limbed them and cut them into foot long peices for her.

Now just waiting for my next camping trip. We won't be hand sawing downed trees for firewood anymore, it'll be super quick.

That said, for those who don't have gas station pump access to Ethan free gas where are you getting your gas? What oil are you running? Since I'm using the saw infrequently I may just stick with premix.

That said it's been too long since I've smelled premix, wonder if it's overkill to run vp race gas with amsoil just so I can smell that wonderful smell I miss about racing 2 stroke 125s

View Quote

I dont use mine that often anymore, I will not mess with fuel and oil and fuel cans.
I know that Stihl and Echo say 50:1

Don't care, become ungovernable

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Egan Performance air filter showed up for the 500i. Might get a chance to run it this afternoon and see how it does.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/82898296-A8B9-4421-98A6-1D8F48CEF41E-2611071.jpg

I wish someone would make one of those for the ol' Huskies.
@fox2008, what does your airfilter mount look like?

Thank you.

Here you go.

The gray plastic piece inside the filter looks 3D printed and fits tight over the round part of the intake body on the saw. The outside plastic cover keeps it pressed down and tight.

ETA: Ran the saw yesterday on a 3’ white oak and it ran good. I can’t say that I felt a noticeable power difference but I bought it more to make sure no fines made it through the filter…that’s a known concern with the 500i stock filter.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#6]
@Fox2008

I had the Egan air filter and Straight Shot on my power head when the Dyno test was done. .41HP gain. Dyno's are different and slight power differences are common, so who knows what the true OEM HP was, but advertised is 6.7HP

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@Fox2008

I had the Egan air filter and Straight Shot on my power head when the Dyno test was done. .41HP gain. Dyno's are different and slight power differences are common, so who knows what the true OEM HP was, but advertised is 6.7HP

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/308700/20221026_163110-2577305.jpg
View Quote

Nice…I was only running the 25” bar. I might have noticed a power difference with a bigger bar.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Here you go.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/59EAAE14-4926-4E46-99B5-A6472F64309A-2614374.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/128571D0-A39B-4604-B7AB-37D67F15F41F-2614375.jpg

The gray plastic piece inside the filter looks 3D printed and fits tight over the round part of the intake body on the saw. The outside plastic cover keeps it pressed down and tight.

ETA: Ran the saw yesterday on a 3’ white oak and it ran good. I can’t say that I felt a noticeable power difference but I bought it more to make sure no fines made it through the filter…that’s a known concern with the 500i stock filter.
View Quote

Hope all 500i owners see this.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nice…I was only running the 25” bar. I might have noticed a power difference with a bigger bar.
View Quote

The best lil neat thing about the 500i (my opinion and saw guys who have played with the lil computer box) is:
That no matter what you do to it as far as performance, the ECM figures it out immediately and compensates.
The dyno numbers posted above are sweet
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@Fox2008

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/308700/20221026_163110-2577305.jpg
View Quote

Love those numbers, DYNO saw
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thank you.
View Quote

Did a quick google search and didn't see any performance aftermarket oil foam filters for Husky.
If you're willing to modify and are a bit meticulous you could probably fit/make one though.

Search here for quality filters, this is the manufacturer who makes the Max-Flows.
Uni Filter
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Did a quick google search and didn't see any performance aftermarket oil foam filters for Husky.
If you're willing to modify and are a bit meticulous you could probably fit/make one though.

Search here for quality filters, this is the manufacturer who makes the Max-Flows.
Uni Filter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Uni Filter

I may have to find someone with one of those 3D printer / scanners to scan the airfilter to make an adapter for a foam filter.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Added a new poll, this time what wood do you hate to cut? Is it the clean up on your saw? Pain in the ass to cut?

For me it is pine. Fucking shit makes one hell of a mess. Give me oak and juniper all day.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:46:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Being a Real Man - CHAINSAWS (Episode 1)
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:48:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Added a new poll, this time what wood do you hate to cut? Is it the clean up on your saw? Pain in the ass to cut?
View Quote

Of the stuff I've cut, Black Locust.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I switched to Echo/Shindaiwa Red Armor oil this past summer after reading so much about Stihl oil leading to dry and ruined bottom ends. Lots of information out there so everyone can research and decide for themselves.

50:1 is probably fine for homeowners cutting the occasional tree limb. Firewood bucking runs the engine longer and hotter which makes leaving enough deposited oil in the bottom very important. Again everyone has to read and decide but I have changed my own practices and will be using 32:1 for everything now. Oil is cheap, tearing down to replace cranks or bearings is not. No it won't smoke more.

Tune the saw to 4 stroke just out of the cut and clear up in it and keep a sharp chain. Dull chains kill saws, especially clamshell saws. Use good oil and enough of it. Use ethanol-free or at least neutralize it with Marine 360. These are the legs of the "stool" to keep a saw in good health.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/0HIZknM.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/0HIZknM.jpg

Black locust needles suck to deal with but I love burning locust….it’s one of the hottest burning woods in my area. Hedge is number one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Them boots will put some chips in yer socks
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

For me it is pine. Fucking shit makes one hell of a mess. Give me oak and juniper all day.
View Quote

I will be that guy
The wood I love cutting is cedar, the scent is wonderful.
I grab shavings and a few cookies for the smell.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got an Egan on my 461; absolutely love that it fits under the stock hood. The Max Flow hood follows the lines of the older gen Stihl 046 and I hate the way that big box looks mounted to a 461. Silly I know but whatevs.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any evergreen.  I've got a bunch of white pine and various spruce/fir crap.

Stupid sticky POSs.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I will be that guy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will be that guy

Cedar smells so good
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Took the 545 out:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52513633766_a30668b228_b.jpg

Those shoestrings!
View Quote

Those are called noodles, and when you're making them it's called noodling
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Took the 545 out:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52513633766_a30668b228_b.jpg

Those shoestrings!

Hashbrowns it is then!

Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I may have to find someone with one of those 3D printer / scanners to scan the airfilter to make an adapter for a foam filter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Uni Filter

@sierra-def

Get me the dimensions and I can 3D model a cage for you, I work in Autodesk Inventor every day.  There are a number of online places you can upload a 3D model to and get it printed / shipped to you.  I've used a couple different vendors for projects at work.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I hate cutting wood covered in glacial silt.
Dulls the saw quick,dirty the air filter quickly and gets in everything!

In Montana i really did not like cutting burned fir trees. All the damn soot.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Question for those of you with the stihl 500i.

Would you cut logs in the water where you have water spray going everywhere?

Husky with their air filtration hate it.
Air filter always gets wet and so does the plug.

Have couple of older stihls and a echo I use to cut logs in the water.

Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on the depth of water, especially with a fleece or paper filter.
An oiled foam filter would be what I would use in those circumstances.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

@sierra-def

Get me the dimensions and I can 3D model a cage for you, I work in Autodesk Inventor every day.  There are a number of online places you can upload a 3D model to and get it printed / shipped to you.  I've used a couple different vendors for projects at work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Uni Filter

@sierra-def

Will try to work on it tonight, thank you.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you get a cage for open ass foam filter, then you damn well better do at least a muffler mod
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In general I'd agree with this.....but I will say the 500i seems to have more open access to the air filter than other Stihl models.  I'm not sure it would be the best option for your use case.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In general I'd agree with this.....but I will say the 500i seems to have more open access to the air filter than other Stihl models.  I'm not sure it would be the best option for your use case.
View Quote

I fully agree with what you say about the 500i air box.
I got my riser and foam filter in yesterday from WCS.
No more tiny particles

I'll post a pic when I get it put on.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a foam filter Egan/Uni filter.

I would try not to, but I would, but I also abuse equipment.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ummmm......Nope
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ummmm......Nope
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Log just above the surface or just below.
Even branches below the water.

It will spray water no matter what.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Another reason why I will never own a fuel injected saw is the quality of fuel.
Even with fuel filtered multiple times there is always water and junk in the fuel.
In the Bush I can take apart and put back a carbon to getthe saws running again.

As I said I have other older saws that I use.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Man I wouldn't drop cash on a 500i to cut stuff in the water.  Especially if it is brackish or salt water.  That's beater saw territory.

Concur on the oiled foam filter for something like this, and even then once it gets soaked it won't breath.  You'll either have to completely squeeze the water out of it(not likely, but it would work in a pinch) or carry spare filters.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you get a cage for open ass foam filter, then you damn well better do at least a muffler mod
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just have to drill 3 3/8 or 10mm holes and let autotune do the work for me!
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Even with fuel filtered multiple times there is always water and junk in the fuel.
In the Bush I can take apart and put back a carbon to getthe saws running again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not fuel injection per say but rather electronic mixture controlled. It is still a carburetor, autotune works really really well.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:27:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Uni Filter

@sierra-def

Well looks like the UNI filters won't fit unless I cut a hole in the cover ( not gonna do that )

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Please stop by this thread, take part! Hold off on that upgrade and send money so the kids have one less thing to worry about for Christmas!
Tis the season! Donate for the kids!
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Please stop by this thread, take part! Hold off on that upgrade and send money so the kids have one less thing to worry about for Christmas!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:46:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Hey what'chu boys favoring for a firewood-splitter these days?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have a splitting maul but use a small electric hydraulic splitter since I live by the motto "work smart, not hard."
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:07:39 AM EDT
[#48]
@RTUtah

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
25t speeco/husky we went half and half on.
Sometimes I do use a maul but my arms won't take too much.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:16:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It is not fuel injection per say but rather electronic mixture controlled. It is still a carburetor, autotune works really really well.

https://slideplayer.com/slide/12891444/78/images/6/AutoTuneTM+%2C+how+does+it+work.jpquote]

Auto tunes do not last long in Bush AK.

Water and shitty fuel do them in.
Plus no real dealer to work on them.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top