Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 56
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Update 8/23

So we are still having to tweak the door mechanism a bit.   The chain that opens the door is connected to the door by a wire that goes through the metal frame of the door.   That small wire rubs back and forth on the door metal, until it breaks.   Right now, its been breaking about every two days.

As much as I enjoy ladders, that's not very realistic to fix every two days.   I've messed with different wires, not wanting to get too stout, as it is a safety mechanism for the door to break away from the chain so we don't ruin the motor or the door, but It just broke again this morning.

I'm going to try a bit of a combination of a zip tie around the door, connected through a small loop of stouter wire through the chain and see how it goes.

The good thing about this, is I just heard Arnold yell, "Get to the Choppa!!!" When I started everything back up.  I didn't think he got that one in there.  He'd never seen "Predator".    
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would a grommet work?  Something smooth so it could slide freely in the door with a bigger hole and protected edges?

Have a photo/video to see what it is doing?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 8/23

So we are still having to tweak the door mechanism a bit.   The chain that opens the door is connected to the door by a wire that goes through the metal frame of the door.   That small wire rubs back and forth on the door metal, until it breaks.   Right now, its been breaking about every two days.

As much as I enjoy ladders, that's not very realistic to fix every two days.   I've messed with different wires, not wanting to get too stout, as it is a safety mechanism for the door to break away from the chain so we don't ruin the motor or the door, but It just broke again this morning.

I'm going to try a bit of a combination of a zip tie around the door, connected through a small loop of stouter wire through the chain and see how it goes.

The good thing about this, is I just heard Arnold yell, "Get to the Choppa!!!" When I started everything back up.  I didn't think he got that one in there.  He'd never seen "Predator".    
Would a grommet work?  Something smooth so it could slide freely in the door with a bigger hole and protected edges?

You beat me to it with the grommet.

For robotics, we used some kevlar line, from a boating supply store, for activating some of our mechanisms.  The line was about 1/8" diameter and was good for 2,000 lbs.

It was more than strong enough to lift a 150lb robot off the ground dozens of times.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

For robotics, we used some kevlar line, from a boating supply store, for activating some of our mechanisms.  The line was about 1/8" diameter and was good for 2,000 lbs.

It was more than strong enough to lift a 150lb robot off the ground dozens of times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 8/23

I'll have to draw out a sketch of the problem.  A grommet is a good idea, but would only solve half of the rubbing, I think.

There is also a bit of slack with the way the chain is attached and I'm not sure I'm wild about how that makes the door react when closing.  I'll have to have kids look at it next week.  We as be able to line the outside of the door frame as well as use a grommet on the hole to make things wear less.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#5]
@Guns762 ,

If you know an auto mechanic see if you can get a small piece of break line flared on both ends. That can be attached to the door and act as a anti rub bushing.

EBR
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Update on the door faults.

I realized a few days ago that we never put any grease on the door's tracks.  I did that, and it seemed to make a huge difference in the smoothness of the operation.   It's also not broken again, yet......but!!!!!

......last night late, I noticed it flashing a weird three flashes.  I unplugged it and left it till this morning, thinking there was a break in the linkage again.  It wasnt.

I called for tech support....  Woke his but up and told him to come save the day.  We still don't have access to the program, as we don't have the IP address, or the password.  They are in Japan right now.

Top_Men explained that he really couldn't do much, but suggested we unplug it for longer than 10 sec, and wait longer as the capacitors may be storing more energy and not allowing the helicopter to reset.  We had to play with the doors position too, as we think the magnet  was too far past the sensor and double tripping it, causing the program to fault.

That seemed to do it and the whole thing ran fine the rest of the day.  Top_Men paid me the $500 he owed me and headed home.

Best tech support ever!!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 12:43:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Page / 56
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top