BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
those all seem expensive to me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Armenia and Georgia are cheap. Also, it would be wise to look into duel citizenship. For example, I am in the process of getting Italian Citizenship. My appointment is in a few years so I have ample time to collect the proper documents.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never been to Spain.
View Quote

But I've been to Oklahoma and it fucking sucked.

Before all the Oklahoma guys jump my shit this was Muskogee in the late 80s when it was still reeling from the oil bust.

I'm sure it's much nicer now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Mexico is the only place I can hunt whitetail deer but I hate Mexican food.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lots of ex pats moving to Mexico City lately.
Population is on par with NYC. So....
View Quote

The Mexican middle class are pissed at remote working foreigners and expats moving into their good neighborhoods because it's been pushing out the Mexicans. Lots of anger and frustration online and in news media.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Given the prices listed you could live in rural US areas.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Sign me up for  Bogata
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My monthly bills: $1050
condo is $650
electric bill $40
water bill $20
dining out every meal $300
500 mbps internet $25 (I pay $300 a year one time bill)
cell phone $15

ETA This can be much less if you don't live in a great condo like mine and if you cook your meals instead of dining out daily.
View Quote

How much for a biological lady for a month
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

But I kinda like the music...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear the ladies are insane there
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]
A former co-worker of mine married a Filipina lady and moved to the PI.  He's very happy there, and living well.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Mexican middle class are pissed at remote working foreigners and expats moving into their good neighborhoods because it's been pushing out the Mexicans. Lots of anger and frustration online and in news media.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The irony...
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#12]
If concealed carry for regular citizens is not a thing, screw that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Fuck no.

I'll elaborate: There's a reason those places are inexpensive.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sign me up for  Bogata
View Quote

Colombia is another place I'm very familiar with. There is a MASSIVE amount of seething hatred towards the American sex tourists that go down there and rent apartments to spend their money on prostitutes.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Are we not colonizing mars? Elon?
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Spain or Portugal?

I'm thinking Spain, but Portugal is intriguing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Colombia is another place I'm very familiar with. There is a MASSIVE amount of seething hatred towards the American sex tourists that go down there and rent apartments to spend their money on prostitutes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sign me up for  Bogata

Cocaine is legal up to a gram...

GD's ultimate vacation destination for hookers and blow
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I see that they forgot to mention of the difference between healthcare in the US and these third-world bargains!  Healthcare is kind of important for retirement aged folks.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sign me up for  Bogata

If I’m going I ain’t coming back!
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sign me up for  Bogata

I think sex tourists are scumbags too, so I can’t really fault them for that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#22]
i'd live anywhere for a couple years if someone wanted to pay me enough money.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#23]
But with some of those places, in how many do you also have to pay the police,judges,courts, etc., in order not to be prosecuted/harassed just because they can? I will stay here
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Goddamn, I need to type out my “Bryan sells everything and moves to Panama” tragedy so I can easily post it in threads like this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
With the cost of living in the United States soaring, more and more people are setting their sights on an international destination that won’t break the bank. Some locales are so affordable that with enough savings, you may be able to quit your job or just work part time and still live in the lap of luxury.  International Living released its annual report on the World’s Best Places to Retire, and the results may surprise you. From coastal getaways to European hotspots, several of the countries are not only beautiful, but they are also extremely inexpensive.  So, while the list is geared toward retirees, these countries may be great options for anyone with a healthy savings account or who doesn’t mind living on a budget.

Uruguay
Currently, the cost of living in the United States is $2,213, with rent for one person costing an average of $1,399 per month. Even with a steady income, living in the U.S. has become unaffordable for many.   If you are sick of working your 9 to 5, consider the Latin American destination of Uruguay. The country is exquisite, offering nearly 400 miles of coast, rolling hills and four distinct seasons. The cost of living is nearly half of what it is in the states at $1,143. As noted by International Living, depending on the neighborhood you can find a nice apartment at the reasonable price of $526 per month.

Spain
Whether you want to spend your days soaking up the sun on the Costa del Sol or are more interested in the vibrant cultural and art scene of Madrid, you simply can’t go wrong with Spain. The European country is steeped in history, offers great healthcare and has almost every type of geography imaginable.  The cost of living in Spain is approximately $1,246 per month, although it might be more in bigger cities or resort beach towns. Even in the most expensive neighborhoods, it will likely still be somewhat cheaper than the average cost it takes to live in the U.S. Plus, the first-class healthcare will save you big time.

Malta
Looks can be deceiving. A quick glance at the tiny island (archipelago) of Malta may make you think that only the world’s elite could afford to live there. Fortunately, the exact opposite is true. The island boasts a surprisingly affordable cost of living at $1,340 per month.   The country, surrounded by the clear blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea, is stunning. Rent is somewhat expensive, depending on where you live, but it is worth it considering the 360-degree views. Not to mention the fact that food and other things are significantly cheaper than in the United States.

France
If you have ever wanted to dine on world-famous cuisine, shop in the finest boutiques or visit renowned museums, now is your chance. France is a bargain for someone willing to live on a budget. The cost of living in the country is $1,451 or 1.53 times less expensive than in the U.S.   Ex-pats who reside in the country enjoy low-cost healthcare, one-of-a-kind destinations and villas for under $200,000. So, if you have a nice-sized savings or are willing to pick up a part-time gig, you might just be able to drop the morning commute for sipping wine at a chateau in the French countryside.

Ecuador
For real bargain hunters, a country like Ecuador is cheap and safe with a very comfortable year-round climate. The cost of living for one person in the country is $785. Ecuador is geographically diverse with miles of endless beaches, mountains and rainforests, leaving a little something for everyone.  Housing is economical with the average rent for one person costing around $322 per month. Retirees or young adults hoping to quit the corporate grind in favor of a more enjoyable lifestyle can live in the country for far less than the U.S.

Colombia
It is no wonder that ex-pats are flocking to Colombia. The country is rich in biodiversity. The large South American country borders the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean. The Andes Mountains carve through the West while the Amazon rainforest sits to the East.   The cost of living in Colombia is almost one-fourth of what it is in the United States at $546 per month. Rent, food and transportation expenses are all markedly less than you would expect to pay in the states.

Portugal
With an estimated cost of living for one person at $1,073, Portugal offers Americans hoping to live abroad a low-priced European option. The country itself is minuscule compared to neighboring Spain, but what it lacks in size it makes up for in culture. Portugal oozes Old World charm and is known for its incredible seaside communities.  The country’s public transportation is second-to-none, meaning you may not have to ever purchase a car. With the money you save you may never have to work again.

Mexico
Many Americans, familiar with the tourist-packed cities of Cozumel and Cancun, may shake their head at the idea of living in Mexico, but the country has a lot more to offer. Mexico is an ex-pat’s dream. It is close to the states, offers reasonable healthcare and is considerably less expensive than the U.S. The cost of living in the county for one person is $786 per month with the average rent costing only $354.   Mexico is more than just a spring break getaway for college coeds. In addition to the white sandy beaches, it is known for, the country has luscious jungles and sweeping deserts. For Americans looking for a bargain, healthcare is substantially less costly than in the U.S., and becoming a resident is relatively easy.

Costa Rica
The Central American country of Costa Rica is the perfect place to live abroad without depleting your savings. The cost of living is around $1,000 and rent for one person runs approximately $440 per month.   The tropical destination has cost-effective healthcare and is only a short flight from the Southern United States. The locals, by all accounts, are friendly, welcoming ex-pats with open arms. The weather is gorgeous, the water is warm and the housing is highly affordable.

Panama
Panama tops the list of best places in the world to retire, which means it could be a good option for anyone to live cheaply. It is no wonder that it regularly claims the title since the cost of living is under half of what it would cost in the U.S. at $1,112 for one person. Rent runs approximately $588 per month and food takes up another $365, but outside of that costs are minimal.   The country is centrally located, has a mild climate and offers world-class beaches. It seems only fitting that this charming retreat makes the list.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/money/economy/places-to-live-abroad-so-cheap-you-could-quit-your-job/?utm_term=incontent_link_9&utm_campaign=1232272&utm_source=yahoo.com&utm_content=15&utm_medium=rss

Would you live in any of these places?
View Quote

My buddy dated a dual citizen from Ecudor.  He spent several months down there over the couple years they dated.  He was running the numbers and looking seriously at moving down there.  He said as long as you stayed in the city the quality of life wasn't much different than the U.S.  But once you went rural, you were 3rd world in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Goddamn, I need to type out my "Bryan sells everything and moves to Panama" tragedy so I can easily post it in threads like this.
View Quote
i'd read it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Panama has great offshore fishing. I could do a Condo on the beach in Panama for awhile.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I could probably live in Portugal but would have a much more difficult time learning Portuguese than Spanish.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Beware, Popocatepetl

MEXICO CITY, May 18 (Reuters) - Mexican authorities canceled in-person classes for more than 100,000 students on Thursday in multiple towns clustered around one of the country's most active volcanoes as its fiery activity intensified in recent days, raising health concerns.

A series of relatively small but powerful eruptions from the snowcapped Popocatepetl volcano prompted Puebla state officials to suspend both public and private school classes at all levels across 22 towns due to falling ash, according to officials.

Classes in the affected towns will temporarily be conducted online.

Falling ash, plus gases spewed by the eruptions, can be harmful when inhaled, and in a worse case scenario could trigger the need for massive evacuations.

Popocatepetl, meaning "Smoking Hill" in the native Aztec language Nahuatl, is one of the world's most closely monitored volcanoes. It rises only about 45 miles (72 km) southwest of Mexico City, home to about 9 million people or around 22 million including the metropolitan area.

Attachment Attached File

Images shared on social media in the picturesque colonial-era main plaza of the Puebla state capital showed many people wearing masks to protect themselves from ash in the air.

Even though schools in the state capital remained open, officials recommended that locals avoid outdoor activities.

Mexico's disaster prevention center Cenapred maintained its alert level for the volcano at yellow on Thursday, which indicates moderate risk.

Cenapred reported that over the past 24 hours it has registered 154 exhalations of mostly ash and gas from Popocatepetl, one "minor" explosion and one volcano tectonic earthquake.

Popocatepetl is Mexico's second tallest volcano at 5,550 meters (18,209 ft) above sea level, and on clear days is a fixture of the Mexican capital's distant southern skyline.

Reporting by David Alire Garcia; Editing by Richard Chang
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If concealed carry for regular citizens is not a thing, screw that.
View Quote
That's a huge sticking point in most places for me.

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I’ve been to Spain three times. We’re can I live there for cheap?? Answer you can’t.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looks like a list of third world countries aside from France and Spain. Neither of which I’m jumping for joy to live in. They have a lot of the same issues we have in the US, and are anti gun liberal nations.
View Quote

Malta allows ownership of just about anything including full auto but everything is registered and requires a license.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm moving to Bratislava.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Even with high prices in the U.S. and interest rates over 6%, there are 100s of thousands of houses that would cost less than $1200 a month with very little down.  Yeah, they aren't going to be in L.A., NYC, or beach front. but tons of areas with cheap housing compared to the first several on that list.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a nickel- I saw the documentary.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

But I kind of like the music.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Marbella (Spain, for the uninformed) is very livable on <$2500/month.  Especially if you aren't trying to play Expat Entrepreneur every night.  It can get pricey if you want Best Everything On The Beach(!!!), but even then, folks from California won't blink at any prices.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I could go for a few of those places. Keep a low profile from day one, be generous to the local police and charities and absolutely do not get involved in local politics. Patronize local businesses and help out when you can. Just spend your time enjoying peaceful activities and laughing your ass off whenever the US makes the news for the typical stupid shit we do here. That won't make you untouchable but the locals are less likely to harass a benefactor than some asshole tourist. Helps if you are an old fuck too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's Cartagena like?
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Would you live in any of these places?
View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#42]
There seemed to be a lot of people living in the Florida keys that had 2nd homes in Costa Rica.  I would probably choose that
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Looks like a list of third world countries aside from France and Spain. Neither of which I’m jumping for joy to live in. They have a lot of the same issues we have in the US, and are anti gun liberal nations.
View Quote

I understand it's not France

A few months ago I joined a ACL reconstruction group on Facebook. All the people from the UK were saying they had to wait 12-16 months for a referral and up to two years for a surgery. When I asked wtf is that, they all said socialized healthcare.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What's Cartagena like?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's Cartagena like?

Hot damn hot

Medellin Temperatures range from 15 to 30 °C (59 to 86 °F). Because of the pleasant springlike climate all year, Medellín is known as "La Ciudad de la Eternal spring”
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What's Cartagena like?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's Cartagena like?
Slow, like a snail?

Or fast, like a shooting star?
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a lot of colleagues that work in the UK ,it seems fairly common for them to spend a month on “holiday” in Spain every summer.  They also say it is attractive as a retirement location as their money goes further. Why not

I nominate the Philippines as a great location for cheap retirement. They love Americans, they all speak American. The moneys go far
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

But I have been to Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Malta is a hidden gem to live, but I heard they made it more difficult to get a long term visa or status.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Malta is a hidden gem to live, but I heard they made it more difficult to get a long term visa or status.
View Quote

I've always wanted to visit.  The Knights Hospitaller holding off the Ottomans was something out of Lord of the Rings.  It would be neat to stand on those same walls.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But have you been to Arizona?...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top