Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wonder what the noise levels were like in that workspace
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are all wearing vests and collared shirts, a couple have ties on.  Dress decently and then put coveralls and overalls on over that...hence the names "coveralls" and "overalls".
Wonder what the noise levels were like in that workspace
Some shops would be quieter than a modern shop.

Modern CNC is loud and obnoxious. Lots of compressed air flying all the time too which sucks.

Hell, go back to when the steam engine was outside the shop and ran the main drive shaft along the top of the shop next to the ceiling and all you would have is the chips being cut and hitting the floor. And the occasional blood curdling scream of the guy with his tie stuck in the lathe.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is that a power belt seen connected to each lathe that disappears up through the top of the photo?

There would be a motor turning a jolly big/long shaft the length of the assembly line and belts would connect it to each piece of machinery.
View Quote
Yep. One big motor at the end of the building. Steam engine, before that era but I believe the machines in the pic were more modern than the steam era. I could be incorrect.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Only fags and commies wear ties and long sleeves while working a lathe or mill.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/48680/John-C_-Garand-At-Work-486x600_jpg-1115714.JPG
View Quote
The guy was an ice skater for god's sakes. Not the hockey stick kind either.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
White privalege. People fail to realize that while racism was real and horrible, most white familys lost their privalege and were brought down to the bottom  during the depression. Sure some had wealth, but that isn't a large percentage.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep. One big motor at the end of the building. Steam engine, before that era but I believe the machines in the pic were more modern than the steam era. I could be incorrect.
View Quote
What is the attachment he's handling in the OP?  Taper attachment?  Some kind of tool post grinder?

I can't make it out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Also interesting, that apron is EXACTLY the same as the apron I wore up until we quit the apron service. I really miss wearing one. So convenient and handy.

O-1 mics in the big top pocket. Scale, pencil, 3/16 allen wrench in the small top pocket. Rag, and expediently used knick knacks in the waste pocket.
View Quote
Wore one like that for quite a few years.  Then I cracked a vertebrae in my neck and the weight of the apron, with all my crap in the pockets, hanging on that cord hurt my neck.  I found Rockler (the woodworking place) aprons with webbing straps that cross your back to work great.  I do wish they were a bit longer, they only go about halfway down your thigh.  They also have more and bigger pockets.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is the attachment he's handling in the OP?  Taper attachment?  Some kind of tool post grinder?

I can't make it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't make it out.
Can't quite tell. At first I thought it was a radius attachment, but that's not it. Besides, they take attention. I'm having a hard time believing someone could be running two lathes at the same time doing anything that took any real attention.

So, my best guess is, he's laying/levering those bars on the barrel being turned to remove/minimize vibration. Like a follower rest, sort of.

It's interesting that there appears to be live tooling (key/saw type cutter) that is swiveled up and out of the way on the back of the cross slide.

The tool post is pretty peculiar and makes me wonder if the lever he's using is a second op sort of slide deal. That could be used by feel/blindly with stops and what not.

Not used on general purpose lathes now, but who knows what kind of special tooling and contraptions they had back then. Second op Hardinge lathes can compete or surpass CNC lathes for certain applications.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not exactly. You can take a heavy cut at the correct speed and feed and throw a proper straw colored chip. The entire notion goes back to before carbide tooling was common. Throwing a blue chip meant you were running too high of surface feet per minute and/or too high of a feed rate.

There's a balance of time for the cut vs cost of tooling. And, yeah, some people get anal and stupid about having a notion that just because something takes longer, that makes it better.
View Quote
I agree, I was keeping it simple
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wore one like that for quite a few years.  Then I cracked a vertebrae in my neck and the weight of the apron, with all my crap in the pockets, hanging on that cord hurt my neck.  I found Rockler (the woodworking place) aprons with webbing straps that cross your back to work great.  I do wish they were a bit longer, they only go about halfway down your thigh.  They also have more and bigger pockets.
View Quote
I crossed my apron strings. From right shoulder to left hip then tie in the middle of the back. (opposite for left side of course).

It was like a ritual. Walk in. Punch in. Go get coffee. Walk to bench and start looking at where you left off while you don your apron and plan your next move. It was all automatic.

I would probably fumble with it, now.

They did tend to get heavy. Especially if you were doing assembly work. Half a set of hex keys, brass knocker, who knows what else we'd cram in those pockets.

Might have to buy my own. I had some denim ones and they sucked. The apron company ones were washed many times so were soft and light weight. Plus, toolmakers wear white aprons. Blue ones were for machinists and other lower workers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Can you imagine sweating all day in a stuffy suit, compared to the modern moisture-wicking wonder fabrics we have today?

I do understand heavy cotton for FR protection, but I can't imagine wearing a suit in a physically demanding work environment.

As much as I admire certain traditions, there are some that I am glad have gone the way of the dodo.
View Quote
Keep in mind that air conditioning wasn't as much of a thing back then, so people weren't conditioned to 70 deg temps like they are now.  That makes a world of difference.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#13]
We have gone from hats, shirts, ties, gloves (for women) to wearing our undergarment (t-shirts) and gym clothes in public.  Blessed be the yoga pants worn by slim women.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Look at how the crowd was dressed at this football game.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/00/dd/1b/00dd1bfde771d21234e04ee90a5ccaee.jpg
View Quote
Christ look at those slovenly dressed ball players.  Get some pants, girls!  Shine them shoes!  Their shirts don't even have collars, disgusting
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Behind an apron or not, no way I'd wear a tie around lathes.
View Quote
Take into consideration that folks used to dress their best for even for the most unspecial events. The pic might be a "Aksel, some people from a magazine will be here tomorrow. Dress your best.", thus the white shirt and tie. The tie might have not been a regular thing at his job.

The oldest tool and die guy I ever worked with always wore long sleeves and a tee underneath. The guy started work right after WW2.  Sleeves rolled up. He was also the best manual machine guy I ever knew. Often saw him running three machines at once. He'd be at the Bridgeport, winding on knobs for cut, while the LeBlonde lathe was taking off .003" on a drive shaft and the grinder was recipping a face grind in auto. All that activity fueled by constant diet of Camels, coffee and ball busting anyone who was in earshot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Those were real men back then, operating 2 pieces of equipment at the same time AND working a 16 hour shift...with only 1 lunch break, $3 and hour.
View Quote
That was then.  Welcome to glorious new America, where the Men are effeminate, the Women are Men, and Otherkin are...err...and the lathes operate themselves.  Because everyone is too stupid to run them now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
posed photo
View Quote
Yep.  The bossman heard they were taking photos, and decided to pose as a working man.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always point out to my son how people dressed decades ago compared to now when we watch an old movie or see pictures.  Went from janitors wearing suits and ties to now most kids wearing what looks like they slept in.
you do realize old movies were fiction, right?

I like the old pics at Shorpy.com and looking at all the old photos posted there. Might just be a street shot of turn of the century Columbus, OH. Amazes me how well dressed the average folks were just walking down the street. Near every man you see will have on a tie. Even if if it's a shop keeper with an apron.

When I was kid in the 60s, my dad was painting contractor. He wore 'whites' and one of my chores was to polish the boots he wore to and from jobs. He kept a ratty pair in his truck for doing actual painting.  He also keep a set of spotless whites on a hanger in the truck. Those and the shiny boots went on if he was going to a contact for some possible business.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#20]
dupe
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Taking a large cut in steel on a lathe or a mill will result in the chip turning blue.
What the company was saying is time doesn't matter don't take heavy cuts.
View Quote
No, it has more to do with cutting speed.

Running too fast wears down cutting edges too quickly requiring time wasting resharpening.

Creating too much heat in cutting causes too much heat in the workpiece, leading to work hardening of the workpiece, and distortion due to excessive heat and induced internal stresses.

I came up in a serious as a mofo machine shop, and the phrase was "it better not be blue coming off the work, but it sure as shit better be blue by the time it hits the floor", meaning don't waste time in running so fast you need to replace/resharpen tooling, but don't be wasting time getting the stock off the part either. We were to take heavy cuts that still allowed for long tool life, yet by my time, we were using carbide insert tooling, but the situation was the same, get stock off quickly without distorting or work hardening the workpiece, and unnecessarily wasting tool life.

So much BS here about machining practices.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No, it has more to do with cutting speed.

Running too fast wears down cutting edges too quickly requiring time wasting resharpening.

Creating too much heat in cutting causes too much heat in the workpiece, leading to work hardening of the workpiece, and distortion due to excessive heat and induced internal stresses.

I came up in serious as a mofo machine shop, and the phrase was "it better not be blue coming off the work, but it sure as shit better be blue by the time it hits the floor", meaning don't waste time in running so fast you need to replace/resharpen tooling, but don't be wasting time getting the stock off the part either. We were to take heavy cuts that still allowed for long tool life.

So much BS here about machining practices.
View Quote
He was trying not to be pedantic for the 99% of readers who don't understand what you just said and never will.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He was trying not to be pedantic for the 99% of readers who don't understand what you just said and never will.
View Quote
Oh, like you know shit from shinola when it comes to cutting steel.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That was then.  Welcome to glorious new America, where the Men are effeminate, the Women are Men, and Otherkin are...err...and the lathes operate themselves.  Because everyone is too stupid to run them now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those were real men back then, operating 2 pieces of equipment at the same time AND working a 16 hour shift...with only 1 lunch break, $3 and hour.
What do you do for a living again?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe not but I can burn it good
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This was a time when all of society had more pride in their appearance and in their work.
View Quote
And tended to die in crazy work accidents.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And lucky to make to their 50's.

Wooo!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And lucky to make to their 50's.

Wooo!
Lucky to make their 50’s? Looking back 300 years the only male in my family to not make it to at least 77 was my great uncle that 101st Airborne that died at Bastogne. The low average age we see when looking back was mostly attributed to young children and infants that got sick and died.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks, I was going to post something similar, but it's a day off and it was past time to get outside and mow.

I don't think it is any service to those who want to learn to let misinformation be passed along uncontested.

I've trained many apprentices, and understanding what exactly is happening at the tip of the tool and the face of the grinding wheel does wonders for how newbies approach the job, nothing pedantic about it, unless you think machinists can just come close to the actual dimension, spec or point being made.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#30]

I love this bar.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks, I was going to post something similar, but it's a day off and it was past time to get outside and mow.

I don't think it is any service to those who want to learn to let misinformation be passed along uncontested.

I've trained many apprentices, and understanding what exactly is happening at the tip of the tool and the face of the grinding wheel does wonders for how newbies approach the job, nothing pedantic about it, unless you think machinists can just come close to the actual dimension, spec or point being made.
View Quote
Actually, coming close to the nominal mean dimension is exactly what we do, every day.

Kuraki might surprise ya with his knowledge on the subject. He's one of a surprising number of people on this forum who actually know their shit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#32]
My Father was a Tailgunner on a B24 flying missions out of North Africa.

BOTH my Grandfather (a trained machinist) and my Grandmother worked for a small machine shop that was a subcontractor to Buffalo Arms. Grandma made .50BMG Feed Pawls, Granpa was in charge of QC for the shop.

Two nights a week, my Grandfather was also paid two bits (twenty-five CENTS) to get up in the middle of the night, walk a couple miles to the railroad crossing and then walk up and down the line inspecting the track for damage or sabotage. If it looked good, he set out a green lantern and waited for the train to roll by. A condition of the job was that he had to arm himself (no specification, no training required). I believe he carried a Remington model 11 that he borrowed from a neighbor,
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always point out to my son how people dressed decades ago compared to now when we watch an old movie or see pictures.  Went from janitors wearing suits and ties to now most kids wearing what looks like they slept in.

Whatever.  Staged photo and they are the boss.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm really surprised at how many doubt that workers dressed like that back then.

There are literally thousands of pictures of people in those times.  Wearing a tie was very common.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet he was an office guy. They just put an apron on for the pic.
I'm really surprised at how many doubt that workers dressed like that back then.

There are literally thousands of pictures of people in those times.  Wearing a tie was very common.
Some people just will believe what they want to believe and not the truth.  Even if it is shown to them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I knew a bunch of postwar era Motorola engineers (knew- they have sadly all passed) who told stories about being required to wear white shirts and ties well into the 70s, even when running machinery. God help the man who didn't tuck that tie into his shirt and roll those sleeves up, though. One of the guys told me how his mom lost all her hair to an electric laundry mangle when she forgot to tuck her long, red braid down the back of her blouse and it pretty much yanked her into the machine. The hair never really grew back properly and she took to wearing hats, which she despised. This made an impression on him about working safe, so he wore a bow tie every chance he got.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Most these days couldn’t multi task the lathes either.
View Quote
At least they can heat treat properly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most these days couldn’t multi task the lathes either.
Lol
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most these days couldn't multi task the lathes either.
Lol
To be fair, they didn't have very good/reliable thermocouple technology then.  I actually wrote a paper in college on the subject in a materials class.  I don't remember half of it, but that was a huge factor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm familiar with promo photos that don't actually represent what is going on. It might be.

But...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azjdwLdg70A
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet he was an office guy. They just put an apron on for the pic.

I'm familiar with promo photos that don't actually represent what is going on. It might be.

But...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azjdwLdg70A
Dog and pony shows were as prevalent 100 years ago as now. Any time the stock brokers are coming to see the facility we have the clean up and make the place look like nothing ever happens there then they bring in actors to film the visit.

The pictures of machinists wearing ties are propaganda photos.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This, my grandpa made about $60 a month wrenching on B25's during the war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$3 an hour???  Not likely! More like $3 per day.
This, my grandpa made about $60 a month wrenching on B25's during the war.
And that was 40yrs past this.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
To be fair, they didn't have very good/reliable thermocouple technology then.  I actually wrote a paper in college on the subject in a materials class.  I don't remember half of it, but that was a huge factor.
View Quote
I was going for the meme of the early 1903 receivers being heat treated by sight and not by pyrometer thus shattering.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait, are you telling me that chimney sweeps DIDNT break out into song and dance routines on a regular basis!?!
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top