BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
301 was the result of a weight reducing program for the Pontiac V8. As mentioned before it has a much shorter deck height and very thin wall block casting. They also removed most of the counter-weights from the crankshaft using CAD to keep the crank balanced and the engine mostly vibration free. Ended up with a Pontiac V8 that weighed only 475 pounds, and was still all cast iron, where the standard weight for Pontiac V8's of the 60's and 70's was 675 pounds. And the 301 will bolt in place of any other Pontiac engine as it still had the same engine mount location and bolt patterns and bellhousing bolt pattern of all the other Pontiac V8 engines. You can physically bolt on older heads, but there are no intake manifolds that will fit and no reason the do it as the crank can't take any extra power. Found a photo of the crankshaft showing the lack of counter-weights.

https://bangshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/CRANK.jpg
View Quote

My reaction to Pontiac engineers choices:

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I "commuter" with a v8, 4 on the floor Hurst, and the name "Grand Prix" ?

I'd call it a piss poor example of Detroit muscle, strangled by poor quality and govt. overreach

View Quote
Everything of that era had a V8.  The grand prix is not a sports car, have you heard of a trans am?
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Better at looking like something that some commie enviro-dipshit liberal arts professor would drive?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hell, My kids civic looks better than that boat.

1979 Jap cars that were better,....and looked better

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/gkm/1/421/57213/790x1024/1979-datsun-280zx

https://journal.classiccars.com/media/2020/12/mazda-rx7-silver-pick-4.jpg

Better at looking like something that some commie enviro-dipshit liberal arts professor would drive?

Your shtick is pretty lame. Japanese cars definitely aren't the end all be all, but blindly proclaiming all American vehicles are better than all Japanese vehicles by any metric (as you do) is silly.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Those G bodys are one of the easiest cars to work on. Literally an afternoon project to swap out that 301 turd with a 450 hp 383 in your driveway.
Their popular on the drag strip for a reason. Uncle Tony remarked he could pull a motor in like 45 min.....lol
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Everything of that era had a V8.  The grand prix is not a sports car, have you heard of a trans am?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still better looking than any Japanese or Korean car ever made, though.

Spaceboy,

DetrhoytMAK said "any Japanese..."

The mid-late 1970's were a horrible era for american cars

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Look at the Pro Stock cars from that era, Regals, Monte Carlos, Fairmonts, Monzas.
Bad ass cars.
View Quote
1979 was the first year I followed Pro Stock.  

A Plymouth Arrow won the championship.  Small block (355 CI) Mopar.  The Arrow was a Japanese import (Mitsubishi), but a decent looking car in my opinion.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Spaceboy,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Spaceboy,

You are correct about what he said but 78-87 was peak GM in my opinion.  The cars were smaller than the A bodies that came before them and had large engine bays.  I would take that grand prix over any z car.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#8]
That's near the absolute bottom of the barrel in terms of domestic cars.  Only about 87 feet of vacuum lines, and a pile of emissions stuff.

You cannot buy a Kia sedan that's slower than it today.  A Kia Rio is a couple seconds faster 0-60, gets double the mileage, and isn't going to rust out/die in under 100k.

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What 140 HP maybe?
View Quote

Downhill, with a tailwind
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ that era of American cars was fucking dogshit awful.
View Quote

WORD!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's near the absolute bottom of the barrel in terms of domestic cars.  Only about 87 feet of vacuum lines, and a pile of emissions stuff.

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/ab/1/395/10107/1920x1440/1979-pontiac-grand-prix

You cannot buy a Kia sedan that's slower than it today.  A Kia Rio is a couple seconds faster 0-60, gets double the mileage, and isn't going to rust out/die in under 100k.

View Quote

But absolutely no one will be excited to find an 800 mile Kia Rio in 40 years or so.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Saw that a few days ago

It's nice but it's no 77 masterpiece
View Quote

Like a ‘77 Can Am kinda masterpiece?
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I like it. But it would likely find a 400, and some 17” American Racing wheels on it.
I’m sure finding a 400 Pontiac motor is much harder than it used to be though.

That is a pretty rare set up though.  I don’t know how many 4speed cars GM made in that body style. But I bet excluding the El Camino. They only put a few hundred in all G body’s. Monte Carlo, Malibu, Grand Prix, Regal, Cutlass. After 73, 4speeds in Mid size cars became a rare thing. And there were few already between 70-72. Usually only the top of the line mid size sports coupes got them. SS, GTO, W Buick’s and Hurst Olds.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/ab/1/395/10107/1920x1440/1979-pontiac-grand-prix

View Quote

That is not exactly fair.  Mine weighed almost what my 2015 GMC 4WD truck does.  GP's were tagged as "personal luxury" cars, not muscle cars, not sports cars.  During the GTO heydays, they were still much heavier than a GTO.

I had an SJ with the handling package and on a good 2 lane or a highway it was a good touring car for the time.  

On the highway I got good MPG, in the low to mid 20's   then when I ditched the old style cat, it ran better and got better MPG.

It always started, even in the cold.  I drove it through 4 years of college on top of a WV mountain with winter temps in the teens and 20's on a regular basis.

In those days we did not know any better.   My previous car was a 77 Bonneville with a 400.  Black with red pinstripe and red crush interior LOL  

It was a different time, people wanted different cars.  My mom drove a 4 door Bonnie.  Moms didn't drive Suburban's back then.  Guys on railway crews did.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/0c96c781a5e6260d0827848aec47d205-381.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
301 was the result of a weight reducing program for the Pontiac V8. As mentioned before it has a much shorter deck height and very thin wall block casting. They also removed most of the counter-weights from the crankshaft using CAD to keep the crank balanced and the engine mostly vibration free. Ended up with a Pontiac V8 that weighed only 475 pounds, and was still all cast iron, where the standard weight for Pontiac V8's of the 60's and 70's was 675 pounds. And the 301 will bolt in place of any other Pontiac engine as it still had the same engine mount location and bolt patterns and bellhousing bolt pattern of all the other Pontiac V8 engines. You can physically bolt on older heads, but there are no intake manifolds that will fit and no reason the do it as the crank can't take any extra power. Found a photo of the crankshaft showing the lack of counter-weights.

I always just assumed they were pissed that the 400 got the axe and their V8 engine program was being eliminated.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#16]

That’s the Grand Prix I want. And a ‘77 Can Am.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I always just assumed they were pissed that the 400 got the axe and their V8 engine program was being eliminated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dad had a Pontiac, Buick, Jeep, GMC dealership, his dad started it in 1927.  For a street car I always love the Pontiac engine.  Gobs of mid range torque.  Unless worked over, most were done making power by 4500 rmp 5k max.

A lot of people were pissed at GM for killing the Indian V8.  Many felt, myself included, for a street car, it was better than the SBC.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Your shtick is pretty lame. Japanese cars definitely aren't the end all be all, but blindly proclaiming all American vehicles are better than all Japanese vehicles by any metric (as you do) is silly.
View Quote

If I had to pick one to be stuck with the rest of my life, I’d probably take one of the ricers. But we’re talking looks in this thread. That ‘79 Pontiac in mint condish is way cooler looking than those Japanese fagmobiles.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If I had to pick one to be stuck with the rest of my life, I’d probably take one of the ricers. But we’re talking looks in this thread. That ‘79 Pontiac in mint condish is way cooler looking than those Japanese fagmobiles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stuck with as in until rust do us part?  My memories of of most Japanese, Italian, British imports back then, were of listening to them rust.  Chevy Luv /  Isuzu  truck, when is the last time you saw one?  Engine was like a sewing machine though.  

Even in the early 80's Datus 210's in my OA had beer cans and scrap duct work in the floor boards.  My dad used to joke that it was because they were melting down old US tanks left over from the war.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Stuck with as in until rust do us part?  My memories of of most Japanese, Italian, British imports back then, were of listening to them rust.  Chevy Luv /  Isuzu  truck, when is the last time you saw one?  Engine was like a sewing machine though.  

Even in the early 80's Datus 210's in my OA had beer cans and scrap duct work in the floor boards.  My dad used to joke that it was because they were melting down old US tanks left over from the war.
View Quote

Pretty sure I’ve seen one of those Datsuns more recently than I’ve seen a ‘79 Grand Prix.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Pretty sure I’ve seen one of those Datsuns more recently than I’ve seen a ‘79 Grand Prix.
View Quote

I bet the Datsun was restored.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bro do you even donkmobile?

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Like a ‘77 Can Am kinda masterpiece?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I (briefly) had a maroon '78 GP when I turned 16.  I loved that car, but it got squashed by a drunk truck driver in a parking lot.  

I had a dark blue '81 GP briefly afterward, until some dick pulled into the road right in front of me and stopped.  It had some tiny, gutless V8 in it.  I think it was around 260cid.  

It was a nice looking car, but damn it was slow.  Even after I flipped the air cleaner cover over and put an ACCEL sticker on it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I (briefly) had a maroon '78 GP when I turned 16.  I loved that car, but it got squashed by a drunk truck driver in a parking lot.  

I had a dark blue '81 GP briefly afterward, until some dick pulled into the road right in front of me and stopped.  It had some tiny, gutless V8 in it.  I think it was around 260cid.  

It was a nice looking car, but damn it was slow.  Even after I flipped the air cleaner cover over and put an ACCEL sticker on it.
View Quote
Are you sure it wasn't an Oldsmobile?  They put a 260 in the cars of that era.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can think of at least two reasons why you're wrong.

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  It was definitely a GP.  I knew squat about motors back then.  I went to a speed shop and asked them if there was any performance parts available for my motor.  The guy laughed when I told him which motor it had.  He said they literally make nothing for it.   I think he said to find a 350 junkyard motor and start there.  The car got wrecked before I could anything like that.

eta:  I believe he referred to it as "the baby 8".  My 16 year old self was embarrassed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a '79 Grand Prix back in the day.  Bought it used in '82 or so.

I loved it!  
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

<Snip>

In those days we did not know any better.   My previous car was a 77 Bonneville with a 400.  Black with red pinstripe and red crush interior LOL  

It was a different time, people wanted different cars.  My mom drove a 4 door Bonnie.  Moms didn't drive Suburban's back then.  Guys on railway crews did.
View Quote
Big luxury barges that floated down the highway, that had over driven power steering and brakes , seats that were like sitting on the couch in your living room and had good mid range torque for passing on two lanes were very popular.

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Body looks like the Buick Regal I had around that year.
View Quote

It does because, Monte Carlo, Cutlass,Regal and Grand Prix were the same car with different front and rear styling.Same damn cars.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It does because, Monte Carlo, Cutlass,Regal and Grand Prix were the same car with different front and rear styling.Same damn cars.
View Quote

Yep. By that time the divisions could only do design and maybe suspension changes to suit their markets. Engines by then were shared throughout GM except for Cadillac. Which was still allowed to use their own. Don't recall the Buick turbo going into any other G body cars though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nice! I had a 77 Monte Carlo. Bought it from my grandfather with 43,000 miles on it and cruising on the highway was where cars from this era absolutely shined! Like an idiot I sold it to buy an 87 Accord

Not my pics, powder blue with the white vinyl top. Never should have sold it- she was a beast and a blast to drive

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120557/5D803778-CE30-43CA-BAFA-450CAF602651_jpe-2181551.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120557/710492A6-E232-4157-9706-7E5924D95D2B_jpe-2181552.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a 77 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham, pretty close to the same car except for body style. Had the 350 and about a million feet of crushed velour inside. Handle? Hell no but it would cruise very nice and smooth down the highway. Only real downside it it had a horrible vapor lock issue if you shut if off hot and then tried to start it in less then 20 minutes or so. It always did start but you had to crank awhile. Never had any issues other then that with it. Got decent MPG for a big car.

Nice! I had a 77 Monte Carlo. Bought it from my grandfather with 43,000 miles on it and cruising on the highway was where cars from this era absolutely shined! Like an idiot I sold it to buy an 87 Accord

Not my pics, powder blue with the white vinyl top. Never should have sold it- she was a beast and a blast to drive

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120557/5D803778-CE30-43CA-BAFA-450CAF602651_jpe-2181551.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120557/710492A6-E232-4157-9706-7E5924D95D2B_jpe-2181552.JPG

Had a ‘77 Monte Carlo 350 4bbl. Cruising down the hwy was it’s thing. 24mpg interstate. Had a little punch to it. Liked to hear the 4bbl sing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nope.  It was definitely a GP.  I knew squat about motors back then.  I went to a speed shop and asked them if there was any performance parts available for my motor.  The guy laughed when I told him which motor it had.  He said they literally make nothing for it.   I think he said to find a 350 junkyard motor and start there.  The car got wrecked before I could anything like that.

eta:  I believe he referred to it as "the baby 8".  My 16 year old self was embarrassed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pontiac had a 265 ci (4.3L) version of the same V8 design as the 301 ci (4.9L) engine.

As you found out, it was barely able to hold together at stock HP levels which is why there were never any performance parts made for either engine.

The Olds 260 ci engine was Oldsmobile's version of the crappy 265/301 Pontiac. It never had a single performance part made for it either for the same reason.

I had an 80 Cutlass with the 260 engine. It was a gutless V8 with only a marginal gas mileage improvement over the sturdy 307 Olds V8, but I never had any issues with the 260 for the short time that I owned it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

150 HP with the four barrel. 135 HP with the two barrel.

Doesn't matter much as the 301 was one of GM's worst V8s ever (the Olds V8 diesel was worse).

It was so bad that I don't think there was ever a single performance part made for it. They are barely reliable at stock power levels.

More than 6 or 7 PSI and the engine would grenade within 1000 miles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What 140 HP maybe?

150 HP with the four barrel. 135 HP with the two barrel.

Doesn't matter much as the 301 was one of GM's worst V8s ever (the Olds V8 diesel was worse).

It was so bad that I don't think there was ever a single performance part made for it. They are barely reliable at stock power levels.

Quoted:
I'd drive the shit out of that.  I'd put a turbo on it and have fun.

More than 6 or 7 PSI and the engine would grenade within 1000 miles.
I'd like to see a turbo on that crankshaft!
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Wrong thread
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ugly as sin.  That was probably the worst era for American cars.
View Quote

No worse than the current shit they're putting out. An early fucking Chrysler 300 is halfway to being considered a classic. 90's LeSabres and Cutlasses already are "classics". Only slightly older, who can forget the Fiero? Flammable Tupperware!
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Someone knows their stuff

The 301 was simultaneously a genius and stupid idea
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's a great candidate for an LS swap.

That would be a really cool car.
View Quote

Fuck no Pontiac v8 or bust!
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Fuck no Pontiac v8 or bust!
View Quote

With fuel injection. And A/C.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

With fuel injection. And A/C.
View Quote

But of course

Oh and powersteering
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

And that’s why it only has 858 miles on it
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And that’s why it only has 858 miles on it
View Quote

That probably went into the personal collection of the dealer.

Hell the local Buick dealer here also sold Lotus back in the day. He had 3 of these in the lower garage. Lotus only built 20 of them worldwide. Don't know if he raced them, was holding them for buyers or what. But I stumbled upon them when my car was being repaired in the body shop.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1991-lotus-esprit-x180r/
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Could probably throw the obligatory LS in it and get a few more HP. Or just leave it a stock survivor for maximum MEH factor.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We had a 79 Regal.  Maroon, tan landau top, wire wheel hubcaps, tan leather interior.  I thought it was a decent car.   Of course, like all cars of the day, a weak, wheezing 3.8 v6, strangled by government regulations.

Closest pic I could find online.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145716/Screenshot_20211125-234310_Chrome_jpg-2181498.JPG
View Quote
We had a '78 , damn thing wouldn't get out of it's own way. It drank almost as much gas as the '70 Lesabre 350 that it replaced and was the generator of a lot of "damn I hope that car starts today conversations". The cars didn't look too bad but had dismal build quality and reliability issues. It was back to the dealer several times for them to throw parts at it under warranty until that ran out. Turns out it was less hassle and faster to just DIY it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

No it isn't, smoothbrain.Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top