Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No one is saying the didn't do a fine job.  

You can tell that they didn't give a flying fuck as to who was in the car or the truck when the bad guy opened fire on the officers.
I didn't see them stop and discuss about who might be in the car when they returned fire.

Running into the car means anything from slamming it at 120mph to tapping the truck to (like in a pit maneuver) to get the bad guy either pinched between the car and truck or get it so the truck door would not open.

View Quote

They clearly didn't have the angle to strike the truck in a way that would move it any significant distance.  Also, it would just pin his lower body, leaving him perfectly able to continue shooting.
Think about it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Always thought those SWAT guys showed big balls when tey came flying up on the last shooter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the LAPD had to do was run the fuckers over with a car.End of story.

I'd imagine the volunteer list to drive the car wasn't very long with automatic fire coming their way.

Go to 2:27 and watch.All those guys had to do was ram the truck into the car, bad guy squashed, end of story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9SJi7G_QY0#t=147

Always thought those SWAT guys showed big balls when tey came flying up on the last shooter.

IIRC, it was said that they came up on the shooter by accident.  they didn't plan on engaging like that but drove down that street to get on scene and ran into those cars stopped in the middle of the road.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not a tactically sound plan of action, Amigo. Airbags deploy, frame buckles, pillars deform, inertial reels lock, etc. Plus, no certainty it'll work to take him out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd imagine the volunteer list to drive the car wasn't very long with automatic fire coming their way.

Go to 2:27 and watch.All those guys had to do was ram the truck into the car, bad guy squashed, end of story.

Not a tactically sound plan of action, Amigo. Airbags deploy, frame buckles, pillars deform, inertial reels lock, etc. Plus, no certainty it'll work to take him out.

I agree I can't think of a more dangerous situation with no cover or concealment then being strapped into a car and trying to ram someone with a magazine fed semi auto rifle. Civilian cars offer concealment only other then maybe a few areas around the engine block.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I agree I can't think of a more dangerous situation with no cover or concealment then being strapped into a car and trying to ram someone with a magazine fed semi auto rifle. Civilian cars offer concealment only other then maybe a few areas around the engine block.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did a weapons effect video almost 20 years ago at Camp Guernsey.  Started with 9mm on frangible painted targets, to PAGST and soft armor, Kevlar helmets, cinder blocks, vehicles, then Peacekeepers.  We also used 5.56mm, 7.62, 40 mm (both 203 and Mk19), also M249/240B. 9mm easily ventilated pickups, both doors. Ugly. I have the VHS somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
CA folks can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the large capacity magazine restrictions did not take effect till January 1, 2000.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did gun stores have 30 round AR mags for sale in California in 1997? Or were they for sale only to special LEOs?

CA folks can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the large capacity magazine restrictions did not take effect till January 1, 2000.

That is correct.  A lot of 30-rounders were sold in 1999.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn't one of these guys "enhance" their body armor with cut up truck tires?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did a weapons effect video almost 20 years ago at Camp Guernsey.  Started with 9mm on frangible painted targets, to PAGST and soft armor, Kevlar helmets, cinder blocks, vehicles, then Peacekeepers.  We also used 5.56mm, 7.62, 40 mm (both 203 and Mk19), also M249/240B. 9mm easily ventilated pickups, both doors. Ugly. I have the VHS somewhere.

I need a middle finger smiley.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need a victrola to play VHS, right?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:06:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I've always wondered if Phillips and, the guy with the name I can't spell, had a Barrett, would they have been able to change their fate.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:16:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
They clearly didn't have the angle to strike the truck in a way that would move it any significant distance.  Also, it would just pin his lower body, leaving him perfectly able to continue shooting.

Think about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No one is saying the didn't do a fine job.  

You can tell that they didn't give a flying fuck as to who was in the car or the truck when the bad guy opened fire on the officers.

I didn't see them stop and discuss about who might be in the car when they returned fire.

Running into the car means anything from slamming it at 120mph to tapping the truck to (like in a pit maneuver) to get the bad guy either pinched between the car and truck or get it so the truck door would not open.

Think about it.

If he was pinned in between two vehicles then he would not have been able to move behind the car and use it for cover.

As it was he was able to move and shoot.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you bother to read what I posted BEFORE you tossed in your 2 cents?      

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

LA did not form the first SWAT team.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Came across this and has some good info posted on what went down at the nearest gun shop during the shootout.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=973942

That shoot out (like the 1986 Miami Shoot Out) were watershed moments for Law Enforcement.

The 1986 shootout led to police agencies dumping the revolver and later the 9mm in favor of 40SW

The 1997 shootout led to police agencies to start issuing AR15's as standard equipment for regular Police Officers

Militarization of Police Agencies happened gradually over a long period of time, mostly it was attributable to the War on Drugs

with the LAPD forming the first SWAT team in the 70's

That's not what I learned on that ABC documentary show S.W.A.T.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about, oh say if they just drove up to the vehicle, got out and started taking fire from the gunman.

Oh wait, that's what happened.    
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Tag.  Thanks for posting
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I knew there was a reason I didn't like Dianne Feinstein.  

Good gouge.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Im surprised we havent had the Couch Commandos in yet telling us how they'd have stood up and calmly made head shots
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The day they realized 9mm sucks.

Im surprised we havent had the Couch Commandos in yet telling us how they'd have stood up and calmly made head shots

I have always thought it is kind of amazing that the police didn't get a lucky head shot and kill one of them sooner.  

Likewise for the fire going the other way.

About 2000 rounds fired and only those two dead is pretty crazy to think about.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:45:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry, I highly respect and always look forward to whatever you post, so if I offended you, I apologize. I'm an NTOA certified SWAT officer with hundreds of hours of specialized tactical training and experience; as well as being a tactical instructor in several disciplines. I did not mean to summarily discount your statement, but to explain reasons why it wouldn't have been a viable option. One may be pinned (mobility kill) but still be a lethal threat.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:55:18 AM EDT
[#19]
That was interesting read.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:56:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:   I'm sorry, I highly respect and always look forward to whatever you post, so if I offended you, I apologize. I'm an NTOA certified SWAT officer with hundreds of hours of specialized tactical training and experience; as well as being a tactical instructor in several disciplines. I did not mean to summarily discount your statement, but to explain reasons why it wouldn't have been a viable option. One may be pinned (mobility kill) but still be a lethal threat.
View Quote

I'm a couch commando with no tactical training who's wasn't there who can only look at the video and who didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night say:

"They should have rammed the car."

"They were already there."

"The minute the arrived on scene they started taking fire."

"Why not use everything available to you to stop the bad guy".

Everything else I have covered.

The cops did everything that people have been yammering on anyways, what would have been one more thing.

They pulled up to a guy with an automatic weapon that was firing at them.

They didn't have any weapons that matched the bad guys fire power.

They didn't have any concealment beside the car they drove up in.

Once they were getting fired at they didn't give two shits about anyone else, civilian or otherwise, they returned fire.

That's OK, continue on to discount what I have said, because who knows, perhaps had they rammed the car that portion of the shootout might have been over instead of going on another minute or so.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:53:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I remember watching it live on TV. I'd just shattered my elbow (radial head) so was in a lot of pain trying to get comfortable. I hadn't slept in probably 2 or 3 days. I was miserable. That shootout always reminds me of pain.

My roommate just had his hip replaced. We were a couple of cripples who couldn't work so watched it from start to finish.

A few memories:
-News stations originally reported there were 10 bank robbers in the bank.
-News stations, talking out their asses, said the robbery was gang related.
-The moment I saw Phillips raise his rifle and actually aim it, it was pretty clear it wasn't gang related.
-There was weeks of wild eyed speculation as to who put a bullet in Phillips head first - the police or Phillips himself.
-Police waited to enter the bank because they didn't know if there were any other suspects.
-I was amazed nobody else died.
-I called it - as soon as Matteswhatthefuckshisname stopped shooting I said, "They should let him bleed out" and as soon as they announced he was dead I said, "His family is going to sue". I was a goddam fortune teller that day, I should have played the lottery.
-I thought news stations were full of shit when they started reporting LAPD had to get rifles from a local gun shop. I was wrong.

Funny this thread popped up today. I shattered my elbow that week trying to clear trees that were blown down in a bad windstorm. The trees collapsed our fence. Last night we had some pretty heavy winds that tore down my fence. I was joking around with my wife this morning that I'm not going anywhere near that fence which led to us discussing the BOA shoutout.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:01:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The owner, Bob whatever, had been in the business quite a while and made lots of money.  He felt as though California had legislated him into a corner and decided to fold the business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the read. Didn't B&B get fucked over for something related to that though? I may be remembering it wrong but someone here will know.

Nevermind it looks like they went bankrupt.

The owner, Bob whatever, had been in the business quite a while and made lots of money.  He felt as though California had legislated him into a corner and decided to fold the business.
I had an FFL license and got some great reloading supply discounts. Was buying supplies for guys at work. A great place to shop

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:04:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Came across this and has some good info posted on what went down at the nearest gun shop during the shootout.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=973942

That shoot out (like the 1986 Miami Shoot Out) were watershed moments for Law Enforcement.

The 1986 shootout led to police agencies dumping the revolver and later the 9mm in favor of 40SW
The 1997 shootout led to police agencies to start issuing AR15's as standard equipment for regular Police Officers

Militarization of Police Agencies happened gradually over a long period of time, mostly it was attributable to the War on Drugs
with the LAPD forming the first SWAT team in the 70's

First SWAT was in Philly.

ETA: If you're going to be a couch commando at least get your fucking facts right.  I mean it's right on Wikipedia for Christ's sake.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:05:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Those SWAT guys had huge cajones that day.

(starts @4:50 in the vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejD1Gml-ZGc

*Note Swat guy riding front passenger side shoots at him at 5:00 in the vid.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:36:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm a couch commando with no tactical training who's wasn't there who can only look at the video and who didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night say:

The cops did everything that people have been yammering on anyways, what would have been one more thing.

Once they were getting fired at they didn't give two shits about anyone else, civilian or otherwise, they returned fire.

That's OK, continue on to discount what I have said, because who knows, perhaps had they rammed the car that portion of the shootout might have been over instead of going on another minute or so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:   I'm sorry, I highly respect and always look forward to whatever you post, so if I offended you, I apologize. I'm an NTOA certified SWAT officer with hundreds of hours of specialized tactical training and experience; as well as being a tactical instructor in several disciplines. I did not mean to summarily discount your statement, but to explain reasons why it wouldn't have been a viable option. One may be pinned (mobility kill) but still be a lethal threat.

As the written word is devoid of tone and inflection, it's an imperfect medium in which to ensure true communication and shared understanding. I am not discounting what you've said, I'm only imparting my training and experience. I've also spoken to officers who were there that day and read the reports.

Communications were chaotic and they were receiving conflicting reports of how many gunman there were and where exactly they were at. The ad hoc team in the car came upon the second gunman suddenly and dealt with him based upon what they had before them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:00:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

< nonsense >

View Quote

Well, at least you recognize that you don't know what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:20:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The reality is . Better shooting. Any used centerfire hunting rifle and the event ends quickly.  Hell one Mosin and the shooting is over.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Ah, gunfights are easy, got it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:54:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I had an FFL license and got some great reloading supply discounts. Was buying supplies for guys at work. A great place to shop  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the read. Didn't B&B get fucked over for something related to that though? I may be remembering it wrong but someone here will know.

Nevermind it looks like they went bankrupt.

It sure was.  I used to make it an afternoon trip to ogle all the guns I couldn't afford.  Bob was usually acting like a prick (nice toupee, Bob), and his sales guys were mostly bullshitters who didn't know a lot about guns.  During the 1980s and 1990s, his selection of assault weapons and handguns was unmatched in L.A.  Wall racks filled with HK 91s, Colt AR-15s, shotguns, bolt actions, every cool optic made, and more.  The good old days...

As far as where the SWAT officers stopped - they thought the suspect was further down that street.  Coming upon him right where they stopped was not the plan.  You can tell how surprised they were by the way they quickly crawled out of the car.  Steve Gomez (they one in the shorts) taught a tactics class I attended years after the shootout.  He mentioned that his M16's magazine was bent by all the heavy gear they had in the trunk and wouldn't function.  It taught them a valuable lesson about the frequency of checking their gear.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
First SWAT Municipal Bombardment Group was in Philly.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The reality is . Better shooting. Any used centerfire hunting rifle and the event ends quickly.  Hell one Mosin and the shooting is over.

You don't have Steady Aim and Hardline Pro?

You probably don't even have Blind Eye......noob
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've always wondered if Phillips and, the guy with the name I can't spell, had a Barrett, would they have been able to change their fate.
View Quote

No, but they would have gone much further if these druggies weren't dumbass amateurs that didn't have a fucking clue what they were doing. Had people like Platt and Matix been there that day the body count would be much higher. We were real lucky that these 2 screwups were who we got.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy to say in hindsight. I think the SWAT guys ultimately did a solid job by using the vehicles as cover and shooting his legs out from under him.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The day they realized 9mm sucks.
View Quote

Which a) they (LAPD) never actually stopped using and which b) the FBI is now going back to.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

How would that have changed their fates?

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was doped up on muscle relaxers and other narcotics, IIRC. He would have been pinned and kept fighting.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was in the neighborhood at the time....

LAPD now has a museum of their own that features a 'North Hollywood BOA Robbery' exhibit and includes all the home made body armor, complete with bloody bullet holes, that the bad guys wore.
View Quote

Interesting site about the shootout:

Hollywood Shootout

CW
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno. I was leaving that for the people who do the Tac stuff to field.

Definitely would have kept choppers away if they put a round through the chopper they shot at with the AK.

Maybe the LAPD would have needed greater distance between = wider perimeter.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Definitely would have kept choppers away if they put a round through the chopper they shot at with the AK.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt that a .50BMG, particularly give its size and weight, would have change anything. In the context of what those guys were doing, it would have done nothing that their automatic rifles weren't doing already.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LAPD now has a museum of their own that features a 'North Hollywood BOA Robbery' exhibit and includes all the home made body armor, complete with bloody bullet holes, that the bad guys wore.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/CWatsonjr_90041/hWood.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/CWatsonjr_90041/hWood1.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/CWatsonjr_90041/hWood4.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/CWatsonjr_90041/hWood2.jpg

Hollywood Shootout

CW

Guy on the right has a "fabulous" pose.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only haz Nintendo DS.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I remember watching the shootout live on tv.

I also remember the last time I was in the B&B gunshop.  They had 5,000 round cases of CCI Mini-Mags on sale (50 plastic boxes of 100) for $99.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Can't imagine going into a gunfight with an unsighted / boresighted rifle - especially when that's considered "the best" option.  Sounds like a pretty wild day.  Very fortunate that nobody was killed.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did gun stores have 30 round AR mags for sale in California in 1997? Or were they for sale only to special LEOs?

In 1999 I stocked up on mags for guns I didn't even own, knowing I would eventually own them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#45]
The big question is what ever happened to all the money they stole did they recover all of it?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
He was doped up on muscle relaxers and other narcotics, IIRC. He would have been pinned and kept fighting.
View Quote

As it was he was unpinned and kept fighting.
That made all the difference in the world because, as we all know, a fixed target is a lot harder to hit than a mobile target.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/CWatsonjr_90041/hWood.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/CWatsonjr_90041/hWood1.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/CWatsonjr_90041/hWood4.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/CWatsonjr_90041/hWood2.jpg

Hollywood Shootout

CW

Looks like the gutted the site and are revamping it to go with their forthcoming book.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout
"Before entering, they took the barbiturate phenobarbital, prescribed to Matasareanu as an anticonvulsant, to calm their nerves."

I have not heard of other drugs in my reading. Do you have a source?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I read somewhere they had been arressted a few weeks prior with smoke grenades and some other stuff but were released on bail. Imagine if that had started throwing smoke during the fire fight.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I read somewhere they had been arressted a few weeks prior with smoke grenades and some other stuff but were released on bail. Imagine if that had started throwing smoke during the fire fight.
View Quote

<shudder>
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top