Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/13/2016 7:49:13 PM EDT
Love it?  Hate it?  Own one?  Did you buy something else instead?  If so, why?

All comments on the 4Runner is welcomed and encouraged.  Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 2011 Trail that I'm the original owner of. I'll never get rid of it unless it starts having major issues. I currently have 33K with no major issues outside the front differential being replaced as part of a TSB.

With that said, it needs a 6 speed at the vary least. To say it's lethargic in the acceleration department is an understatement.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Just get a truck
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#4]
2013 Trail.

Love it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Have. I like it.

Other than no V8 option, I really like it. Would only consider the Lexus 460GX.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had an old one and both my brothers in law had newer ones.

Cons: pricey and small interior (compared to domestics).

Pros: reliable to the nth degree, will last 20 years with TLC and the last real SUV.  Tons of tech in the new ones make it nearly impossible to get stuck - unless you are trying.  

I switched to a Taco when my wife got an SUV, but I loved mine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 2014 SR5. It's been a great car for me so far. I average right at 18 MPG (50/50 highway/city driving). I do agree the car could have a little more pep in the gearing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag. I'm seriously considering getting a '16 Trail or SR5 4x4 in the next two months or so.

Definitely prefer the Trail, I just don't know how hard it'll be to get one. Watching local dealers inventory, the Trails seem stay on the lot about 2 days.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tag. I'm seriously considering getting a '16 Trail or SR5 4x4 in the next two months or so.

Definitely prefer the Trail, I just don't know how hard it'll be to get one. Watching local dealers inventory, the Trails seem stay on the lot about 2 days.

View Quote

Expect to pay around sticker for a Trail.

I am the proud owner of a 2015 Trail.    The truck is little under powered.   That is my only major complaint.  Brake dive is an issue but I just ordered a set of Bilstein 6112 for the front that will solve the problem.  

*Holiday Inn Express patron and Toyota salesman*

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought an SR5 in 2014 but haven't even had it in 4WD. It's just been on the interstates and over at the cabin twice. Only has 2500 miles and stays in the garage unless we have a long trip to make and take the pups. I'll probably start getting more use out of it since the Subaru will be borrowed for a few months. Right now I'm pretty pleased with it. I wish the milage was better but I didn't buy it for that, I needed a vehicle with more room and was dependable since the Ranger and Outback are over 10 YO.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife drives a '11 SR5.  It's a good family hauler and we haven't had any trouble with it.  I wish it had a rear view camera and a power outlet at the back of the front center console for rear seat passengers.  I have an FJ Cruiser but wouldn't mind a 4Runner Trail.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#12]
We got the wife unit a 16 limited and it's a great family vehicle. She was a dummy before we met and traded lots of cars and had some negative equity. She asked me how to get out of it the quickest without dumping lump sum. Told her to buy a Toyota and just drive the shit out of it. Turns out she loves it so that's a plus.

The limited is a full time 4wd with lockable center diff like the landcruisers(lc's got locking f/r diffs though). With the limited you also get the xreas suspension and it's pretty cool with all the shocks connecting basically acting as reservoirs for each other but it is something else to just go wrong as some point. Handles surprisingly well. But if it ever does I'll probably just throw a set of bilstein 5100s on it. I too feel it's a little underpowered but I drive a tundra with the 5.7 daily. She says it doesn't feel much different than the xdrive x3 we had with the turbo 4 banger in it.

It's a proven vehicle and you won't find a better vehicle in its class, period.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm driving a 14 and love it.  Family of 4 fits comfortably and it's not too huge.  This is my second one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm driving a 14 and love it.  Family of 4 fits comfortably and it's not too huge.  This is my second one.
View Quote

were getting one as soon as our ship comes in
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#15]
my wife wants one, unfortunately for her I bought a tundra this year so she has to wait :)    

I have become a toyota fanboy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Front timing cover tends to leak, off road shocks cost $$$$ to replace with factory parts.

If the left front shock is leaking then the right rear needs to be replaced as well.

Spring for extended warranty.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Front timing cover tends to leak, off road shocks cost $$$$ to replace with factory parts.

If the left front shock is leaking then the right rear needs to be replaced as well.

Spring for extended warranty.

View Quote
Timing cover was an issue on Tacos, never heard of it on the 4runner. The xreas shocks are only on the limited model.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Last years truck at tomorrow prices.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Went to get one but got. 2012 crew cab Tacoma.

The bed is nice to have for random shit.

That said with our first baby on the way the rear storage would be nice to have - I'll just get a topper
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#20]
2015 w/ 22 miles

LOVE mine!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#21]
A 4runner trail or TRD pro will probably be my next vehicle.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I am the proud owner of a 2015 Trail.    The truck is little under powered.   That is my only major complaint.  Brake dive is an issue but I just ordered a set of Bilstein 6112 for the front that will solve the problem.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also have a 2015 Trail, Put Bilstein 6112s up front, and 5100s in the rear after the first month. Brake dive is still there, but not as bad as with factory shocks/springs up front.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#23]
We just traded the wife's '06 SR5 with 196k miles for a '15 with 1,800 miles.  Immediately had a family death and had to drive to NOLA a couple of days later and doubled the mileage.

So far, I love it.  I was never crazy about the 4th Gen, but the 5th Gen is improved all the way around.  Feels more "4Runner-ish" than the 4th Gen.  I wouldn't mind replacing my '99 3rd Gen with one, but mine only has 150k miles and only goes to the range and back as I usually drive a company car.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Just traded the wife's 2014 Highlander for a 2016 Limited.  Lost about 2 mpg, but gained quite a bit of range due to the larger fuel tank. Seems much quieter with its body on frame construction.  Cosmetically, I wish I could have gotten the trail exterior with the limited interior.  I'm not a fan of the limited's chrome 'braces' across the front. Overall, I'm pleased with the upgrade.

Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I just bought a 2016 Trail Premium for my GF. I'm a little jealous at the moment. I drive a base 2014 Taco RC 4x4.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Wife drives the '16 TRD. Interesting seeing a lady drive a FDE colored kind of beefy looking 4Runner. I think she should have waited until the next generation was released but she knows what she likes.  Glad she got this vs some European SUV she was considering.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I want one. Soon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Best car I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#29]
2016 TRD Pro. Love it... but haven't really driven it much, so... we'll see.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Compared to other crossovers or SUV's roughly in the same class, 4runner will (most likely):

Have higher reliability and resale value
Just as or more capable off road

Definitely less engine/transmission choices.

Others will probably have better MPG

Most others have higher tow capacity

Less bells and whistles

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, that's what I'm wrestling with right now.

I definitely want the 4x4, but it'll really only get used on forest roads, beaches, and snow. No mudding or rock crawling. So I don't know if I really need any of the additional features on the Trail to make it worth while. But I like the look of the trail over the SR5...
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
2016 TRD Pro. Love it... but haven't really driven it much, so... we'll see.
View Quote

Curious to see what your impression of it is.
My brother is just about to pull the trigger on one. Nobody has the TRD pros in stock around here.

I am playing with the idea of a 4th gen V8 4x4 4runner to replace my 80s 4x4 pickup for offroad duties.
80s truck looks awesome, offroads well and has lots of nostalgia but is utterly horrid to drive any long distances.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife has a 2010 4Runner. 160,000+ miles. Just scheduled maintenance.
New front wheel bearings at 100,000

Last week it wouldn't go into 4wd. The 4wd actuator inside the transfer case bit the dust. $3,000 repair. Did some online reading, this is the "Achilles heel" of the Toyota 4wd system; a common problem.

Otherwise it's been a great vehicle. Kinda cramped if you're a big person, tho
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a thread onT4R.org that shows that's not entirely true.

I have put tons of miles on both non KDSS and KDSS equipped models, I would opt for the KDSS. I would also hold out for a Trail if you want a Trail. It's a lot of money to spend to not get what you want...
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a '14 Trail Premium and I love it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have put tons of miles on both non KDSS and KDSS equipped models, I would opt for the KDSS. I would also hold out for a Trail if you want a Trail. It's a lot of money to spend to not get what you want...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. I got KDSS and have never regretted it. It's much nicer driving than my FJ. Really tight and flat around corners (for an SUV).
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Last week it wouldn't go into 4wd. The 4wd actuator inside the transfer case bit the dust. $3,000 repair. Did some online reading, this is the "Achilles heel" of the Toyota 4wd system; a common problem.

View Quote

Do you have the knob or the shift lever?
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#38]
2012 Limited, love it.  Better built than my previous two Tacos.  When the wheels fall off, I'll get new studs installed.

ETA: I agree it could use more power, and considered the TRD supercharger for a bit because of it.  It's adequate for most usage, though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I want a 2nd gen sooo bad...
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He has a limited with a knob. All other models from 2010-2013 had a mechanical shifter, 2014+ only Trail has the mechanical shifter.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know its not entirely true.  I paid invoice for mine.  Good luck getting a similar deal.

We sell 4x4 4Runners for sticker and can't keep them in stock.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#42]
My 2011 Trail with KDSS has a bit over 135k miles, much of which has been spent on trails in eastern Utah and western Colorado. Other than aftermarket modifications, the only thing that has broken so far is the auto down feature on the driver's window switch. Still on original wheel bearings, CVs, tie rods, U joints, etc. running 34" MTR tires, 4.56 gears, lockers, and about 1000lbs over standard curb weight.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Per the manual this is why they recommend 10 miles of 4x4 driving a month. Keeps it fresh
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Per the manual this is why they recommend 10 miles of 4x4 driving a month. Keeps it fresh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That right there is interesting. . . . . . . 2006 Gen4 here, 154k.  Shocks are finally going; otherwise nothing but scheduled maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Love it?  Hate it?  Own one?  Did you buy something else instead?  If so, why?

All comments on the 4Runner is welcomed and encouraged.  Thank you for your time.
View Quote

DO IT! and get a TRD PRO

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Meh....the 4Runner needs a diesel or a V8..
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Also have a 2015 Trail, Put Bilstein 6112s up front, and 5100s in the rear after the first month. Brake dive is still there, but not as bad as with factory shocks/springs up front.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not picking a fight, but how on Earth is it "ok" to buy this expensive of a vehicle and have to modify the suspension for any reason other than lifting or lowering?  It seems odd to me people are ok with something so expensive with this problem
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#48]
I have a deposit down on a 16 Limited. Supposed to get here end of the month/beginning of next.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Wife drives a 4th gen sr5. 130k on it. Been a great vehicle no issues with it. Just recently started to rust right above front window. New trail edition is coming in near future.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#50]
2015 Limited purchased last year. Currently has 12,000 trouble free miles. I also purchased the factory extended warranty, the dealer price matched that guy online who sells them dirt cheap it was like $400 bucks to take the coverage to 10 years 100k. Only thing I wish it had was a heated steering wheel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top