Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate plastic cladding on cars. It looks like shit and fades in the sun.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#2]
they really need to do a complete redesign and give the WRX AT MINIMUM 300hp.  

i used to own one and I had a lot of fun with it but these specs just haven't kept pace with what else is out there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to own an 07 STI. With each successive generation of the WRX, I become less and less enthused. I want an AWD, twin turbo, six-speed manual, two-door coupe modern equivalent of the 22B STI. Preferably with a flat six engine. That’s when I’ll seriously consider getting a new Subaru
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they really need to do a complete redesign and give the WRX AT MINIMUM 300hp.  

i used to own one and I had a lot of fun with it but these specs just haven't kept pace with what else is out there.
View Quote

Again. It will never happen unless it's an STI. I don't get why these manufacturers thing giving anything over 300hp is such a premium option when we have luxury vehicles and others with 400-700hp. 300HP isn't shit after drivetrain losses.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Gross. Glad I bought a ‘21 STI this year instead of waiting for this crap.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
That's.. uh... not good looking.  Front end just looks ugly. The black plastic trim around the wheel wells and everything looks bad... its just not a good look for this car.

271hp?  That's basically no power increase, right?

I was looking forward to the next gen WRX and STi.  But they aren't off to a good start.  STi needs a bare minimum of 350hp.  WRX should have been at least 300hp.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm...it actually looks pretty good this year.

Their design team is improving.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's.. uh... not good looking.  Front end just looks ugly. The black plastic trim around the wheel wells and everything looks bad... its just not a good look for this car.

271hp?  That's basically no power increase, right?

I was looking forward to the next gen WRX and STi.  But they aren't off to a good start.  STi needs a bare minimum of 350hp.  WRX should have been at least 300hp.
View Quote

I agree.

300 for WRX and like... 360+ on the STI would have been ideal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All I've wanted from Subaru for years is to put a turbo driveline in the crosstrek.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Still holding my breath for a proper, high performance auto tranny in a WRX...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why didn't it launch it on Gay Pride Month?
View Quote

Because Beating a Dead Horse Day was available?

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Sheesh, missed on styling and power. That's unfortunate.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#14]
They are really embracing that "honda civic" knock off look. This is BY far the biggest, 2 gens ago civic knock off ever.  Also, 271hp is crap, if they make a new STI it better have 400hp.

Also, they need to ditch the boxer, its feces.  Pure feces.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
All I've wanted from Subaru for years is to put a turbo driveline in the crosstrek.
View Quote

At least they are going in the right direction, they upped displacement to 2.5l from 2.0
& with it HP (282 up from 252) & Torque by 30 also
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

At least they are going in the right direction, they upped displacement to 2.5l from 2.0
& with it HP (282 up from 252) & Torque by 30 ft lb also.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I want to like it.

But I just can't
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

& with it HP (282 up from 252) & Torque by 30 ft lb also.
View Quote

152hp - 182hp
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#19]

With 50 more HP, I dig that. Styling is current and solid. I like cladding for protection against gravel. ?????

Edit: if the weight isn’t too heavy, and the power is direct when you hit the go-pedal… I could make 270hp fun… Honestly. I have 270 in my Cherokee and it can be fun, and it’s a Trailhawk so way heavier than the Subbie.

I still have a love for the WRX and the FoFo from racing in Gran Turismo. I know, no practical experience, just seeing them on the roads and the game.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#20]
None of the "hot" Japanese compacts do it for me these days. I'm sure it's the generation gap, but the styling went from cool, to cartoonish about 5 or 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

152hp - 182hp
View Quote

I must have been wishing/dreaming
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#22]
If that is the same new 2.4L that's going into the latest BRZ/GR86, then where is the HP from the turbo? Is a 43HP and 90 torque gain normal after adding a turbo? I would assume more HP at least. And yes, it does look like a Corolla.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It looks like a Corolla.
View Quote

I literally thought it was a Corolla when I saw it earlier.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Call me weird but the biggest turn off for me is the need for premium fuel for such a weak turbo charged engine.  If I'm driving a car requiring premium fuel I want some real HP.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#25]
What a pathetic joke.

I still have my 2006 WRX, which incidentally has developed an oil leak that I can't pinpoint (only 56K miles). It's widely believed that the 230hp/235ft.lb numbers were underrated and it was more like 265 for both. Even so, after 16 years, to have such a pathetic increase is pathetic.

The back end looks hideous, the black plastic trim is ugly as hell, and it's overall just a disappointment.

I'm looking to get rid of my car as this oil leak is probably a prelude to a bad omen (though I doubt it's a head gasket issue as none of the signs are there).
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 2:43:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Still holding my breath for a proper, high performance auto tranny in a WRX...
View Quote

Auto is to satisfy the nannies, manual is for the drivers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whats Faster?
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was really hoping those plastic fenders were limited to the GT trim but nope...they ruin it for me.
View Quote

Same here. What are they competing with BMW for the most hideous car?
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Agree. I had a HB STI.  When I needed a new car, I switched to a Golf-R because the STIs no longer had a HB.  Now I an fanaticizing about the 2022 Golf R.

ETA:

VW sells hatchback Golf's as fast as they can make them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can’t believe they are still hung up on NOT selling a hatchback WRX.  Had a 2015 and loved it, but when half of them sold are hatches and they decided to only sell sedans?  Epic fail.

Agree. I had a HB STI.  When I needed a new car, I switched to a Golf-R because the STIs no longer had a HB.  Now I an fanaticizing about the 2022 Golf R.

ETA:
Quoted:
Hatchbacks don't sell unless it's a crossover or suv

VW sells hatchback Golf's as fast as they can make them.

That's every car and truck in 2021. No one wants hatches like the Golf. I may see one maybe once a month. Everyone wants a crossover or SUV. That's why you see one in every driveway.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Whats Faster?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whats Faster?

Auto is faster all day every day in modern cars. If you are buying a 2022 WRX you want an auto. If you are buying a 2002 bugeye you want a manual.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#31]
They get uglier every year
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
271 and 258what pathetic numbers in this day and age. Jesus subaru. And this is from someone who has had two turbo Legacies, and at one point owned a GC8, bug eye, and blob at the same time. What a fucking disappointment.

ETA VA .2 model. But uglier. If they'd bring back the hatch, it might look decent but that cladding and weird trunk/c pillar is gross.
View Quote

Right? They've hardly gave it any more power over the past 20 years and now hardly makes more power than a 4 cylinder accord. IDK why they don't give the wrx 300-320hp and the STI somewhere around 350-380hp, I imagine they'd sell a lot more. It's not like the technology isn't there yet. Beef up the internals a little and give it more boost.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I owned a 2012 WRX STI and am in the market for a new car.

This thing is ugly as hell and about 10 years down on power.
View Quote

I owned a 2018 wax and a 2019 sti, and I agree. What a shame.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#35]

There is symmetry there, for real. I would not be surprised in the least if one of those shoes was on the auto designers’ inspiration wall.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Right? They've hardly gave it any more power over the past 20 years and now hardly makes more power than a 4 cylinder accord. IDK why they don't give the wrx 300-320hp and the STI somewhere around 350-380hp, I imagine they'd sell a lot more. It's not like the technology isn't there yet. Beef up the internals a little and give it more boost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
271 and 258what pathetic numbers in this day and age. Jesus subaru. And this is from someone who has had two turbo Legacies, and at one point owned a GC8, bug eye, and blob at the same time. What a fucking disappointment.

ETA VA .2 model. But uglier. If they'd bring back the hatch, it might look decent but that cladding and weird trunk/c pillar is gross.

It's not even about the peak power numbers at this point either. These smaller engines, especially with the autos like the ford 2.3l/10spd, 2.0l/10spd honda, 2.0l 6spd man/7spd dsg VW, are fucking awesome. But Subaru went all in on CVT's like Nissan did and even after a several generations they're still fucking horrible compared to the better auto's out there. The Jetta GLI (i prefer the autobahn trim) manual or 7 speed is a damn nice sedan for those that don't want the GTI in a similar pricepoint to the WRX. There's a lot to be said for area under the curve on the powerband. There's a ton of ways to make the cars not suck. Better interiors and NVH which is something they've slowly been doing but are still behind on too.

20 years of incremental updates to yield what like 30hp to the WRX and like 10hp over 10 years for the STi? They just started unfucking the interiors across the subaru lineup in the '17-'19 model year range.

There's ways to have a nice car without having a ton of premium/luxury bells and whistles. Subaru seems to think people are ok paying more for the AWD to have terrible content everywhere else. As much as I like the Subaru AWD system in the manual's i'd almost take another manufacturer's front or AWD system at this point just because the rest of the content in the vehicles are just better. A great second focused set of tires goes a long way for traction in the winter, offroad, etc.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Call me weird but the biggest turn off for me is the need for premium fuel for such a weak turbo charged engine.  If I'm driving a car requiring premium fuel I want some real HP.
View Quote

The rest of the 2.4l turbos don’t need premium.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Prophetic.
Some lady just wrecked my 2013 Impreza this morning as I was driving home with breakfast.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Thing looks worse than the new Maverick.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Auto is faster all day every day in modern cars. If you are buying a 2022 WRX you want an auto. If you are buying a 2002 bugeye you want a manual.
View Quote

Unless they really pull some magic on the CVT for this generation (and I hate to spoil it but programming downshift blips isn’t it) the CVT in the WRX has always been slower than the manual and I don’t see that changing from everything we’ve seen so far. Even the redesigned BRZ has been shown to be slower with the CVT, and that’s not a promising start to back your theory.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Eta:
Attachment Attached File

View Quote

Subaru Ascent and the Outback upgraded engine:

2.4L H-4 Engine · Lineartronic 8-spd CVT w/OD Transmission · 260 @ 5,600 rpm Horsepower · 277 @ 2,000 rpm Torque

On regular unleaded.

Attachment Attached File

Accord:
Click To View Spoiler

Camry XLE V6
Click To View Spoiler

Kia Stinger GT AWD ($42k, even more powerful available)
Click To View Spoiler

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#42]
271HP/258TQ?

Link Posted: 9/11/2021 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's not even about the peak power numbers at this point either. These smaller engines, especially with the autos like the ford 2.3l/10spd, 2.0l/10spd honda, 2.0l 6spd man/7spd dsg VW, are fucking awesome. But Subaru went all in on CVT's like Nissan did and even after a several generations they're still fucking horrible compared to the better auto's out there. The Jetta GLI (i prefer the autobahn trim) manual or 7 speed is a damn nice sedan for those that don't want the GTI in a similar pricepoint to the WRX. There's a lot to be said for area under the curve on the powerband. There's a ton of ways to make the cars not suck. Better interiors and NVH which is something they've slowly been doing but are still behind on too.

20 years of incremental updates to yield what like 30hp to the WRX and like 10hp over 10 years for the STi? They just started unfucking the interiors across the subaru lineup in the '17-'19 model year range.

There's ways to have a nice car without having a ton of premium/luxury bells and whistles. Subaru seems to think people are ok paying more for the AWD to have terrible content everywhere else. As much as I like the Subaru AWD system in the manual's i'd almost take another manufacturer's front or AWD system at this point just because the rest of the content in the vehicles are just better. A great second focused set of tires goes a long way for traction in the winter, offroad, etc.
View Quote

I really want to like the WRX, but they just got left behind in the power category.  They are almost 100hp short of ‘z’ cars or even domestics at similar price points.  Its a shame really… oh yea i would prefer the hatch as well.

I would probably wait for the STI anyway but all of the same shortcomings exist when comparing it to similarly priced performance cars.  In 2002 they were performance bargains, now they simply aren’t competitive.

-Mike
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I really want to like the WRX, but they just got left behind in the power category.  They are almost 100hp short of ‘z’ cars or even domestics at similar price points.  Its a shame really… oh yea i would prefer the hatch as well.

I would probably wait for the STI anyway but all of the same shortcomings exist when comparing it to similarly priced performance cars.  In 2002 they were performance bargains, now they simply aren’t competitive.

-Mike
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Mike

Are the numbers ridiculously underrated to prevent warranty claims after the MY12-19 issues?

And otherwise it just sounds like a 91 octane tune version of their standard high output engine, with a new turbo. But it's direct injection, so it should be able to sense and detune itself to 87 octane, or go nuts if you fill up with E85.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I will never own a pure DI car.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. I have driven WRX's and the powerband sucks. They have a flat spot off idle, then a short surge of power, then they go flat. I know they are quite a bit quicker than my Civic SI, but they don't feel it at all. And the clutch is ridiculously stiff for such a relatively low power car. Thats coming from someone who has only ever owned manual transmission cars and trucks.

I have a feeling with the 2.4 engine you'll be able to run regular gasoline in the WRX. They use that engine in the Outback XT & they use regular fuel. More displacement, regular fuel, same hp.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#47]
So when the bug eye replacement launched, I hated it. Then I loved it.

The current generation I hated at first, then I loved it.

As I look at this more, I kinda like it now. With some strategic wrapping/painting to dump some of the plastic, I think this thing would actually look badass. That black plastic trim just kills it though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#48]
lol all of the delusional STI owners thinking that it'll be 400hp

you will get 320hp and be thankful

so many guinea pigs are gonna be out there with their accessports and ots tunes
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been looking at the new Toyota 86 and the new WRX but they just lack the horse power - yea, they are nimble, but why the lower horsepower numbers?  They really need to bump those up.  As noted a few posts up, regular sedans now put almost as much if not more in some cases.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've been looking at the new Toyota 86 and the new WRX but they just lack the horse power - yea, they are nimble, but why the lower horsepower numbers?  They really need to bump those up.  As noted a few posts up, regular sedans now put almost as much if not more in some cases.
View Quote

Those regular sedans are also priced higher than the WRX, the Toyota and Camry start at 10k above the WRX starting price. Subaru has exploded WRX sales by keeping it the affordable option, even if that doesn't excite people chasing numbers. Unfortunately they are making way more money playing it safe than they ever did trying to push the boundary.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top