Quoted:

Grizzly won't roll over from a .308 either
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ain't nothing in North America a .308 won't kill. Shorter action, lighter weight. Works for me.

Polar Bear and Moose may need a few extra rounds

Grizzly won't roll over from a .308 either

Shot placement! I'm thinking it will
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

if you handload, it can do anything the other two can, and more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
.300 win mag?

it's really the new .30-06 as far as im concerned.

I use 300 win mag for my go to hunting rifle now.  It's nice to have a flatter shooting .30 caliber gun when you have to poke out to 300 yards and beyond.  The big draw backs to 300 win mag is recoil and need for a premium bullet.  I've seen some really shallow wounds with less than stellar bullet weight retention when it came to 300 WM using more traditional 30-06 bullets.  Especially quartering shots.  The various solid copper bullets on the market are a good fit for the 300 WM.

if you handload, it can do anything the other two can, and more.

No doubt, but from a commercial aspect 300 WM is loaded too hot for non copper solid and non bonded bullets.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
.30-06 FTW!

[

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If I'm going to get all Euro queer'd up and trudge though the forest with elves, ferries, and whatever other weird European shit you have in your woods.  It's going to be with a combination gun with two 14 bore barrels over a 9.3x74R and I'm going to be hunting capercaillie and Red stag.

You're doing it wrong if you use anything else
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Both rounds are better when necked down to 6.5.

The proper European hunting round is 9.3x74R.

I could concede that 7x57 Mauser could be a contender as well.

Neither round is as well balanced as the various 6.5s.

If I'm going to get all Euro queer'd up and trudge though the forest with elves, ferries, and whatever other weird European shit you have in your woods.  It's going to be with a combination gun with two 14 bore barrels over a 9.3x74R and I'm going to be hunting capercaillie and Red stag.

I'm thinking a 6.5 Mannlicher Shönauer would be more suited for continental hunting.

You would have to dress in Tweed from head to toe though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think more '06 offerings are loaded down to be safe in M1s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ain't nothing in North America a .308 won't kill. Shorter action, lighter weight. Works for me.

Flatter trajectory also

How does the .308 have a flatter trajectory when it shoots the same bullets as the 30-06 only slower?

I think more '06 offerings are loaded down to be safe in M1s.

No.

It's not "loading down" that makes factory ammo safe for a Garand. It has to do with bullet weight and the burn rate of the powder. Slow powders and/or heavy bullets can wreck a Garand, it was not designed for them and the op rod/gas system will not handle the heavy bullets/slow burning powders.

There are plenty of factory loadings out there that will ruin an M1.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm thinking a 6.5 Mannlicher Shönauer would be more suited for continental hunting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We may disagree on hunting caliber choice but we do agree on hunting attire.  Please tell me they make a Tyrolean Alpine hat in tweed!
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We may disagree on hunting caliber choice but we do agree on hunting attire.  Please tell me they make a Tyrolean Alpine hat in tweed!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure they do. Those Krauts love their wacky clothes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
30-06

You can push a heavier bullet for longer ranges
View Quote

x10  
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#9]
My opinion is that if you need to fire a 220 or 240 grain round in 30 caliber, go with a 300 Magnum.  And I have a 300RUM for that purpose..  Otherwise in the 308 vs 30.06 realm of 150-180gr rounds, I prefer the .308 for lighter recoil and being able to have a lighter gun for hunting on the move.  And my 4'10'' wife can easily handle a Model 7 in 308 but cannot handle a gun large enough to chamber 30.06.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've killed a few things with 7x57 and 9.3x62 and find them to be an excellent pairing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've killed a few things with 7x57 and 9.3x62 and find them to be an excellent pairing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like them too, but the 6.5s are perfect for most hunting. Light weight, low recoil, yet great penetration.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Which of the two calibers, the .308 or the 30-06 as an all purpose hunting rifle caliber?
View Quote

Either one of those will work.

308 is cheaper and I doubt you are going to take game past its range, of like a max of 1k -1200 yrds (general).
30-06 go for it if you want it, just a little more expensive and its going to go farther and harder than .308, so you need to ask yourself, if what you are hunting, you need to have that.  Click on precision Riles thread and there is a section for bolt rifles, check that out for a nice .308 marlin, I'm looking at
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My opinion is that if you need to fire a 220 or 240 grain round in 30 caliber, go with a 300 Magnum.  And I have a 300RUM for that purpose..  Otherwise in the 308 vs 30.06 realm of 150-180gr rounds, I prefer the .308 for lighter recoil and being able to have a lighter gun for hunting on the move.  And my 4'10'' wife can easily handle a Model 7 in 308 but cannot handle a gun large enough to chamber 30.06.
View Quote

I was the one that chimed in about 240gr Woodleigh bullets. As a point of fact, with proper powder selection, .308 or .30-06 could theoretically fire this same bullet. -06 of course, will have a velocity advantage. Even the 175/180gr bullets benefit from the larger case capacity of .30-06, velocity wise. More so if you handload. I shoot a 180gr Accubond from my 06, for everything (unless I'm hunting deer or antelope, and my choice for that day ends up being a .223 AR, with proper bullets). .30-06 is in theory more flixible, having a larger useful range of bullet weights and velocities.

It does not make sense that a smaller, lighter .308 would "recoil" less than a .30-06 firing the same bullet at similar velocities. It would be physically smaller, and easier to handle ( more "handy" ) by a small margin. If loaded to it's potential, 06 would likely recoil more, given a rifle of the same weight, firing the same bullet, but at caliber distinct velocities.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that either one will work for most uses, for most people, in most situations. I doubt many people could shoot the difference between .308 and .30-06 in the field.

For those trying to remember the "never a mistake" quote: "The .30-06 is never a mistake". Colonel Townsend Whelen

Also: "Only accurate rifles are interesting".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townsend_Whelen

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

To get meaningful velocities with the 200+ grain projectiles in a 308 you need a 28" barrel. The ft-r guys are not shooting less barrel length than that when launching these bigguns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a 308 and a 300 WM. I don't see that I need a 3006 unless it's in a garand.

30-06 really is a pointless cartridge.

If you feel you need more than a .308, that significant increase begins at .300 WM.

Advances in bullet technology really have increased the capability of the .308 with 208-215gr. bullets vs the old 168gr.

To get meaningful velocities with the 200+ grain projectiles in a 308 you need a 28" barrel. The ft-r guys are not shooting less barrel length than that when launching these bigguns.

I chrono'd 2400fps with 40.3gr of IMR4320 with 208AMAX.  From a 20in barrel.

That doesn't go sub-sonic till past 1,400 yds.

It is too long for semi-autos though.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#15]

cause I dont hunt polar bears and I dont own a BAR

HK91's and FAL's for me,yall can have your own opinions even if their wrong
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmmm.  I shoot a .308 Win, because I can rock that one in my BIG AR.  Gotta keep that in mind.  We are an AR forum.  That trumps.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hmmmm.  I shoot a .308 Win, because I can rock that one in my BIG AR.  Gotta keep that in mind.  We are an AR forum.  That trumps.
View Quote

Wat?  Being part of a forum doesn't have any merit when discussing the pros and cons of specific calibers.

Just an FYI there is a company making a 30-06 AR.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

No.

It's not "loading down" that makes factory ammo safe for a Garand. It has to do with bullet weight and the burn rate of the powder. Slow powders and/or heavy bullets can wreck a Garand, it was not designed for them and the op rod/gas system will not handle the heavy bullets/slow burning powders.

View Quote

Thanks for saying the same thing with more words.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

It's not the same thing

Downloaded means loaded at lower pressures/velocity.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

German Salazar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
30-06 has a large number of factory loadings
308 all things equal shoots a tighter group.

I can't imagine it would matter in most circumstances outside of s shooting match

This. .308 has better inherent accuracy because of the case geometry. I shoot Palma, so .308 is mandated. But the long range matches I shoot are always open to any NRA target rifle, and usually F Class shooters. They can use any caliber that can throw a bullet 1K with accuracy. I NEVER see a 30:06 on the line.

That said, I have killed about 30 elk, some dozens of deer and antelope, moose, bears and sheep with my old 30:06. Hunting accuracy is more than acceptable.

German Salazar.

I learned something today. you are, of course, correct

Here's the man himself. You will notice that he is, like me, left handed.

Here's a pair of his rifles:

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff419/rgathercole/DSCN6721-575x431.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff419/rgathercole/bbb.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

German Salazar.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff419/rgathercole/DSCN6721-575x431.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff419/rgathercole/bbb.png

I've got a bunch of other things on the list, but my dad's M70 Target has a shot out '06 Krieger. One of our FTR friends says we can have his "old" gain twist barrels when we're ready to rebarrel.

The '06 will still be on the line in the future.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
30-06

You can push a heavier bullet for longer ranges
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It's not the same thing

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

It's not the same thing

However you want to describe it, some '06 ammo isn't loaded to it's potential to be safe in M1s, which is what I was saying to whoever it was that claimed '06 was ballistically inferior to .308.

I agree with the bold.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I have multiples of both.  For most purposes, I'd say .308 because of short action bolt guns and availability in a variety of semis.  The .30-06 is best if you are looking for the absolute highest velocity or heaviest bullet weigh.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Not really, I have a buddy in SW, AK that uses only a .243 Win, to hunt everything and has killed, Musk Ox, Grizzly's, (Polar Bears that invaded the village), Bou, Moose, Beluga whales.
View Quote

Shit, now i want to shoot a Beluga Whale with a .243.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:45:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I want a cheap -06 with a factory box magazine, irons, and a 22" barrel for the truck. Such rifles don't exist.
View Quote
Irons?  Why?  

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:06:39 AM EDT
[#28]
.308 because ar10-type rifles are cool
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:00:52 AM EDT
[#29]
I have 30-06 only because I have an M1 Garand but that is no small thing.  

I have a 308 that uses 190 gr SMK's at 2600 fps from a 24" barrel.  If you need more than that, you need something bigger than a 308.  I have loaded 210's for it but there's no ballistic advantage over the 190's.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top