Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2024 9:04:55 PM EDT
tl;dr: Sea levels 4,000 years ago were 40' higher than they are today, but everything was somehow just fine.

ETA: Journalism is dead.

05-15-2024
'Hitra man' lived 4,000 years ago during the late Stone Age
ByEric Ralls, Earth.com staff writer

In 1916, a remarkable discovery was made during a road construction project on the island of Hitra in Norway. As workers were upgrading a road using gravel from the shore along Barmfjorden, they stumbled upon human bones amidst the sand and stones. These bones belonged to a man who had lived and died in Hitra approximately 4,000 years ago, at the very end of the Stone Age.

“We think that he drowned. When he died, the sea level was 12.5 meters (40'-OP) higher than it is today, and the discovery site would have been at a depth of 4 meters,” explains archaeologist Birgitte Skar from NTNU University Museum.

“Parts of the skeleton are well preserved, and must have been covered with shell sand on the seabed shortly after he died.”
View Quote

https://www.earth.com/news/hitra-man-lived-4000-years-ago-during-late-stone-age/

The same story was published in Newsweek, except they edited out the detailed sea level information and replaced it with a vague reference omitting the depth number, also suggesting this was only the case in that specific area, which is both misleading and a change from the source.

A prehistoric man thought to have died by drowning around 4,000 years ago has been reconstructed, revealing what he may have looked like when he was alive.

A team with the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim re-created the man's appearance based on measurements of his skeletal remains, as well as DNA data.

The remains were originally unearthed in 1916 on the island of Hitra, which is off the west coast of Norway, by workers who were upgrading a road leading up to a farm.

The remains are those of a man who died in his mid-20s toward the very end of the Stone Age, around 4,000 years ago.

The sea level in the area where the man died was higher than it is today, and the location where his remains were found would have been around 13 feet underwater. As a result, archaeologists believe he may have drowned.
View Quote

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/face-of-stone-age-man-thought-to-have-drowned-4-000-years-ago-revealed/ar-BB1mazzW

And here's the man.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
tl;dr: Sea levels 4,000 years ago were 40' higher than they are today, but everything was somehow just fine.

05-15-2024

In 1916, a remarkable discovery was made during a road construction project on the island of Hitra in Norway. As workers were upgrading a road using gravel from the shore along Barmfjorden, they stumbled upon human bones amidst the sand and stones. These bones belonged to a man who had lived and died in Hitra approximately 4,000 years ago, at the very end of the Stone Age.

“We think that he drowned. When he died, the sea level was 12.5 meters (40'-OP) higher than it is today, and the discovery site would have been at a depth of 4 meters,” explains archaeologist Birgitte Skar from NTNU University Museum.

“Parts of the skeleton are well preserved, and must have been covered with shell sand on the seabed shortly after he died.”
View Quote

https://www.earth.com/news/hitra-man-lived-4000-years-ago-during-late-stone-age/

The same story was published in Newsweek, except they edited out the detailed sea level information and replaced it with a vague reference omitting the depth number, also suggesting this was only the case in that specific area, which is both misleading and a change from the source.

A prehistoric man thought to have died by drowning around 4,000 years ago has been reconstructed, revealing what he may have looked like when he was alive.

A team with the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim re-created the man's appearance based on measurements of his skeletal remains, as well as DNA data.

The remains were originally unearthed in 1916 on the island of Hitra, which is off the west coast of Norway, by workers who were upgrading a road leading up to a farm.

The remains are those of a man who died in his mid-20s toward the very end of the Stone Age, around 4,000 years ago.

The sea level in the area where the man died was higher than it is today, and the location where his remains were found would have been around 13 feet underwater. As a result, archaeologists believe he may have drowned.
View Quote

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/face-of-stone-age-man-thought-to-have-drowned-4-000-years-ago-revealed/ar-BB1mazzW

And here's the man.

https://www.earth.com/_next/image/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcff2.earth.com%2Fuploads%2F2024%2F05%2F15180244%2Fhitra-man_stone-age_NTNU_1m-960x640.jpg&w=1920&q=75
View Quote

Hunter Biden's genetic ancestor? Test him for Coke
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]
He was just on an episode of Hawaii 5-0.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm surprised they didn't try to tell it was an African female warrior.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
At least he's white, blonde and blue eyed. Current "journalism" usually omits that it subs in a picture of an African.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At least he's white, blonde and blue eyed. Current "journalism" usually omits that it subs in a picture of an African.
View Quote

I'm sure the CNN/NPR/BBC version will right this injustice.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#7]
That’s a funny-looking warrior Princess who clearly commanded all the men
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve seen him before:

Anthony Kiedis Acting "Point Break" 1991
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#9]

He looks like the guy who was digging through my trash monday.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Looking at his picture maybe he hit his head falling off his surfboard.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
4000 years ago Is 2000 BC really still the Stone Age?

View Quote
Possibly in Northern Europe but I am skeptical.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#13]
THATS KEITH-FUCKING-RICHARDS

I've never been more certain of anything in my life
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Like they can accurately get all that info from some bones and stuff
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

05-15-2024

View Quote

View Quote

And here's the man.

https://www.earth.com/_next/image/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcff2.earth.com%2Fuploads%2F2024%2F05%2F15180244%2Fhitra-man_stone-age_NTNU_1m-960x640.jpg&w=1920&q=75
View Quote

Ridgemont High Man?

He lived long after Colt-Magnon man or Leanderthal man
Only 1500 years to the first pyramids.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
4000 years ago…Is 2000 BC really still the Stone Age?

View Quote

Bordering on bronze age.  Coulda been.  

I had to look it up and I admit I am surprised that man only started manipulating metal 4000 years ago.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kind of between the copper age and bronze age.  Definitely not stone age.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I had to look it up and I admit I am surprised that man only started manipulating metal 4000 years ago.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The copper age began about 7000 years ago dude.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Surprised they didn’t make him a transgender they/them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't know they had SUVs and coal plants in 2000 BC.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:45:37 PM EDT
[#21]
After they dug him up he was immediately vaccinated with all shots to stay current.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Should have made the resemblence to Brad Pitt a bit stronger.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He looks like the guy who was digging through my trash monday.
View Quote

The ancient guy was probably smarter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ragnarly don’t surf.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Apparently so, just barely:

The period lasted for roughly 3.4 million years and ended between 4,000 BC and 2,000 BC, with the advent of metalworking.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Age
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:59:26 PM EDT
[#28]
It's Encino Man, lol.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:23:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Glacial land subsidence followed by isostatic rebound is a thing. Sea level has been falling (land has been rising) in much of coastal Alaska since the last round of glaciers srarted retreating.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not even close.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:36:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Just be thankful they didn’t portray him as black like they did that dude they found in a cave in the UK.

Global warming has always been a scam and a leftist/commie scam to redistribute wealth
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just be thankful they didn't portray him as black like they did that dude they found in a cave in the UK.

Global warming has always been a scam and a leftist/commie scam to redistribute take wealth
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Heck, how high do they think sea levels were in Noah's day?

There is something way worse than climate denying..
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Has Spain claimed him yet?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

10k years ago, in some parts of Europe, prior to Anatolian Farmers and Western Steppe Herder genetic contribution (and in many places near replacement), dark skin tones are genetically supported. But yea often the press does a poor job using correct graphics widely, not merely archaeological articles

This guy was right on the cusp of the Nordic Bronze Age further south. Mid to Northern Scandinavia was relatively isolated from much - and the entire Nordic region itself was a separate and somewhat lagging European Region. The Amesbury Archer found in UK roughly 300 years prior from the widespread Bell Beaker culture was part of the Early Bronze Age/British Bronze Age. Technology and material  culture was different in Middle Norway even. 3-500 years later.

Sea level could be due to VLM/local terrain subsidence - don't see it specifically mentioned. Beat by flcracker - could be earthquake related as well.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#37]
He was a beach bum stoner. That's kewl. He was a warrior for your right to party.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#39]
I was born and raised in east central Mississippi. There are limestone cliffs on the side of streams and limestone deposits hundreds of feet thick with visible sea creature skeletons that are easy to see.

That's because the area was under the ocean for a few million years.

And don't forget the crude oil (from live animals) that are now thousands of feet below the Earth's crust.

Things change. Get used to it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

We have people living in the stone age right now. The cannibal (North Sentinel) island in the Indian Ocean and a couple of Amazon tribes would be an example. The stone age ended at different eras for different regions of the world. The civilized regions were thousands of years ahead of the primitive ones. I'm not even sure the natives in North America had metal implements before we came.

ETA: Got curious and checked. The native North Americas had no metallurgy skills. They didn't know how to smelt metals. As far as they got was cold hammering of copper, which was abundant at the time, and some heat treating to harden it since the hammering made it fragile. So borderline stone age.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I was born and raised in east central Mississippi. There are limestone cliffs on the side of streams and limestone deposits hundreds of feet thick with visible sea creature skeletons that are easy to see.

That's because the area was under the ocean for a few million years.

And don't forget the crude oil (from live animals) that are now thousands of feet below the Earth's crust.

Things change. Get used to it.
View Quote
NO WAY! I don't believe you.

Let me text Greta for advice
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#42]
How did they deduce the "warrior" part?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come on man! Didn't you see documentary series?
The Flintstones 1960 - 1966 Opening and Closing Theme (With Snippet)
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#44]
It's Pauly Shore, Encino Man
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:41:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Speculation.  Likely from the conditional quote from the researcher.

In the late Neolithic/very early Bronze in some European societies you can see some specialization in weapons that seem to indicate at least some martial use. Stone maces and a single example of a bronze cudgel have little use beyond symbolic (possible) but they also seem useful for whacking peeps. You also start to see indications of possible armor - boar tusk plates affixed to organic materials which often weren't preserved, but at least some were helmets. But they also could have status value, but some of that status appears to have been from martial specialization. Associated with more complex burials there seems to be some hiercarchy that develops, surrounding individuals with weapons. The most complex with weapons additional to bows, knives (daggers) and spears. Tho high status individuals predominately have various and not necessarily more/ or sometimes any martial weapons associated with their burials during this time.

Attachment Attached File

Later, on the steppes, when you start seeing chariots, stone tipped javelins and across Europe stone "battle axes" (above) you could make a better case for some separation when those are present in a smaller number of more substantial burials..

Attachment Attached File

I'm interested in seeing the whole "dagger" - only the tip is visible. Large bifacial daggers, finely crafted and pretty complex  start showing up in Southern Scandavia a few hundred years prior to this find. I'm not aware of any specific relation made to a warrior class but maybe. There's a few different types, and they don't seem to be substantially more useful than previous designs for most uses.

Since this guy didn't appear to be buried, context is over 100 years gone and we're making judgments based on artifacts, yea it's kinda speculative up unless there's some association - to this type of dagger, the stone arm/wrist guard (which you see throughout Neolithic Europe) or some other piece:- I'm not aware of .

ETA some pics  

Attachment Attached File

These are Danish but pretty sure representative of the types later found in Southern Norway and Sweden. They're pretty involved

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine"
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Prob just because he was a man
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Netflix version?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Origins of the Slav squat verified by science ... bitches.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top