Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
A Norinco 5.56 84S Underfolder/Knife Bayonet AKM in an M60 Barrel Bag was my " truck gun" for quite a long time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 11:52:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What exactly does 'bolt failures' entail and which 5.56 AKs were they happening in? I used to big into the AK world in 2008-2014 when $600 Saigas and the RGuns kits were a thing and don't remember hearing about a bunch of 'bolt failures' in 5.56 AKs.

@whiskerz
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aks in 5.56 tend to suck. Bolt failures used to be common.

What exactly does 'bolt failures' entail and which 5.56 AKs were they happening in? I used to big into the AK world in 2008-2014 when $600 Saigas and the RGuns kits were a thing and don't remember hearing about a bunch of 'bolt failures' in 5.56 AKs.

@whiskerz

+1

Never heard of a bolt failure in a 5.56 AK.

Have definitely seen front trunnions crack because material was removed to accommodate STANAG mags.

Use AK mags and that is not an issue.

The Arsenal 5.56 AKs had all kinds of feeding issues but that is another story.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
OP get either a Beryl, Galil or M90. Or look on the secondhand market for a SLR-106F or FR.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m looking at some of the models/brands some of you have suggested… What’s the deal with some of them having an 18” barrel (Beryl and the Serb rifles)?

Am I going to run into any funky issues with putting on a rail and M4 stock adapter? I was planning on getting one of those all in one GB and Front sights too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’m looking at some of the models/brands some of you have suggested… What’s the deal with some of them having an 18” barrel (Beryl and the Serb rifles)?

Am I going to run into any funky issues with putting on a rail and M4 stock adapter? I was planning on getting one of those all in one GB and Front sights too.
View Quote

Longer barrels are better for 556 is what it comes down to in my understanding. As long as you get the right adapter and stuff for the rifle you have it will work fine they aren’t quite like ARs there is a million differnt variations and they aren’t really useable in any platform but the one model and brand they are for. I would avoid the Combo blocks they are a pain in the ass to switch. Front sights and gas blocks are pressed on with a hydronic press and then drilled and pinned in place they aren’t very easy to change
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1

Have definitely seen front trunnions crack because material was removed to accommodate STANAG mags.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aks in 5.56 tend to suck. Bolt failures used to be common.

@whiskerz

+1

@whiskerz

In case you missed the @ asking about the bolt failure statement.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Valmet/SAKO will probably never produce another AK. The production line was shut down 25 years ago and they're all in on the AR train now (pending the outcome of the H&K lawsuit).
View Quote

Which is why I'm anticipating PSA possibly producing a version of these rifles.  Not a clone, but a modernized version maybe? Made to use more common 5.56 AK mags and not the original proprietary Valmet mags, which are rare and pricey. Not sure if the x39 rifles had proprietary mags or used standard AK mags as I've never seen one in person.

I think the Valmets predated the change in rifling twist rates in 5.56 and are 1x12. An updated version in 1x7, hammer forged and chrome lined would be appropriate.

I was tempted to buy an original when they were being imported. I really liked the look of them, but the price on them were always pretty high. At the time I was looking, I bought a brand new H&K 91 for $900. The price on the folding 5.56 Valmet was $1200.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Which is why I'm anticipating PSA possibly producing a version of these rifles.  Not a clone, but a modernized version maybe? Made to use more common 5.56 AK mags and not the original proprietary Valmet mags, which are rare and pricey. Not sure if the x39 rifles had proprietary mags or used standard AK mags as I've never seen one in person.

I think the Valmets predated the change in rifling twist rates in 5.56 and are 1x12. An updated version in 1x7, hammer forged and chrome lined would be appropriate.

I was tempted to buy an original when they were being imported. I really liked the look of them, but the price on them were always pretty high. At the time I was looking, I bought a brand new H&K 91 for $900. The price on the folding 5.56 Valmet was $1200.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Valmet/SAKO will probably never produce another AK. The production line was shut down 25 years ago and they're all in on the AR train now (pending the outcome of the H&K lawsuit).

The x39 versions can use standard AKM mags.

The biggest obstacle to someone like PSA producing them is that it would be costly to set up production. It's an expensive weapon with lots of manufacturing steps, and I'm not sure a cheaper solution would be possible.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We are planning a big 4th quarter push on 101/102 and those configurations are on the list.

Right now we are ramping up the Sabre-10, expanding the catalog on JAKL, getting ready to launch the micro dagger, spinning up Soviet steel case ammo and launching 6.5cm/308.

The table is full, but we see the need.

Thanks,
Jamin
View Quote

Thank you for an awesome update.

Now do 50bmg ammo.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'd be all over a Valmet
View Quote

Years ago,  Barrett was offered a cost plus program to build the Valmet M76 for the Finnish Army. A semi auto version was planned for US domestic sales. Ronnie turned down the offer for some strange reason.
First time I ever heard of a cost plus program being turned down.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Years ago,  Barrett was offered a cost plus program to build the Valmet M76 for the Finnish Army. A semi auto version was planned for US domestic sales. Ronnie turned down the offer for some strange reason.
First time I ever heard of a cost plus program being turned down.
View Quote

Well damn that really sucks
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 12:48:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The biggest obstacle to someone like PSA producing them is that it would be costly to set up production. It's an expensive weapon with lots of manufacturing steps, and I'm not sure a cheaper solution would be possible.
View Quote

It doesn’t have to be cheap and they can farm out the parts and make it a specialty rifle.

With the lack of cheap, good magazines, and ass rape prices for 223/556, I’m surprised DSA hasn’t made a FNC. Maybe PSA could make an FNC, but without the shit trigger.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It doesn’t have to be cheap and they can farm out the parts and make it a specialty rifle.

With the lack of cheap, good magazines, and ass rape prices for 223/556, I’m surprised DSA hasn’t made a FNC. Maybe PSA could make an FNC, but without the shit trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FNC is a decent rifle, but I think it would be a fairly limited market.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#14]
So. 300blk Ak. Discuss
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So. 300blk Ak. Discuss
View Quote

Always wanted an AKS74U aka Krink in 300BO. Probably should have grabbed a third RGuns kit back in the day, but 300BO wasn’t on my radar then.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#16]
The PSA AK101 is quickly becoming my favorite AK

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Beryl only real current answer next to the PSA 101 w/ folding stocks.

wish I never sold mine.  The early imports had a cool Polish eagle on the front trunnions.

Sold it to fund a Dragunov.

mine was just for collecting.   not a fan of 5.56 AK's (AR's just shoot it better and more comfortably)

But if you want to minimize your ammo inventory - Beryl Beryl Beryl

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

wish I never sold mine.  The early imports had a cool Polish eagle on the front trunnions.

mine was just for collecting.   not a fan of 5.56 AK's (AR's just shoot it better and more comfortably)

View Quote

I almost jumped on one of the first group of Beryls imported, but I was Soviet/Russian focused and did t want to start collecting Polish stuff as well. They are a very cool rifle and about as modernized of an AK you can get before jumping into Galil territory.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I almost jumped on one of the first group of Beryls imported, but I was Soviet/Russian focused and did t want to start collecting Polish stuff as well. They are a very cool rifle and about as modernized of an AK you can get before jumping into Galil territory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same - it was my only non-Russian AK at the time (sold my Tantal as well) to fund the holy grail Russian dragunov (has a tiger already that I paid big $$$ to get the correct parts in the grey market for)
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same - it was my only non-Russian AK at the time (sold my Tantal as well) to fund the holy grail Russian dragunov (has a tiger already that I paid big $$$ to get the correct parts in the grey market for)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good call

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you everyone. I ended up ordering a Mini Beryl the other day
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Arsenal SLR-106UR That is outstanding.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I know they got a lot of hate here but I've never had any problems with my zasatava with the stanag mag well adapter.

Not my pic but you get the idea, great with a folding brace.

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a Arsenal SLR-106UR That is outstanding.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The FNC is a decent rifle, but I think it would be a fairly limited market.
View Quote

The trigger is garbage and it’s outdated, but you are correct. People would still buy it, just like the SAN SIG 55x. But, people still buy FAL and G3 clones.

*I meant to say assrape prices for 308/762.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you everyone
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top