BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Cmon now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:38:15 AM EDT
[#2]
That new S&W pistol looks awesome. The ideal pistol would recoil like an airsoft and hit like a 44 mag. This seems to recoil like a 22 and hit like a... 9mm?

My only gripe about 5.7 is reloading seems to be terrible, and ammo costs are high.

Also, these go through soft armor, right?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That new S&W pistol looks awesome. The ideal pistol would recoil like an airsoft and hit like a 44 mag. This seems to recoil like a 22 and hit like a... 9mm?

My only gripe about 5.7 is reloading seems to be terrible, and ammo costs are high.

View Quote

Reloading for a pistol shouldn't be terrible. The coating on the brass is mainly for feeding through the 50 rd mags. I don't see why it would have any issues feeding from a regular magazine in a pistol.

That said, it's still sensitive to charge weight, but that's pretty easy to overcome.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

All due respect, seems like it was pretty effective at Ft. Hood
View Quote

People seem to forget that. Then make excuses for why it was so effective, like "well those people were innocent victims, not attackers"

It's a NATO round now. It's pretty neat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much… it’s hardly 60% of a 10mm, or 2/3 of a 9mm. Why would anyone want that?

How long were they left to bleed out? Ft Hood is a case study for the importance of timely first response, not for the round used. A .22 (well, a .22 different than 5.7) would have been approcimately as effective.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, with the correct ammo.
It IS out there, just pricy.

Tho even the cheap range ammo has been shown, in some tests, to not be bad.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#7]
It doesn't interest me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#8]
More crap, put it on the shelf with 10mm, all the foolish new rifle cartridges, etc....???????
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'll likely own a smith when they come out.
View Quote

They are already out.

https://www.smga.com/smith-and-wesson/mp57-57x28-5bl-22rd-blk-no-thumb-safety-optic-ready-threaded-barrel-66426?utm_source=wikiarms&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=deallistings&utm_campaign=wikiarmslistings
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Those stating the price of ammo, hard to reload, don't want to get into another cartridge are all valid points  Those saying it is pretty much the same as a. 22LR just stop already.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

People seem to forget that. Then make excuses for why it was so effective, like "well those people were innocent victims, not attackers"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stalin's chief executioner murdered hundreds of thousands with 25 and 32 ACP.  Any cartridge can kill when your shooting victims don't get medical treatment after being shot  point blank.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Those stating the price of ammo, hard to reload, don't want to get into another cartridge are all valid points  Those saying it is pretty much the same as a. 22LR just stop already.
View Quote

No one said that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I believe there was a video from Shot 23 that showed a 5.7 pistol that PSA is developing that is roughly the same size as a Glock 19. I am very interested in a 5.7 of that size.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I WAS looking to get a PS90 and SBR it. Two things kept me from it. One, the lack of decent ammo (SS190). Nor can you reload it either. It is not a caliber that takes half assed reloading lightly (0.1 grain could be the difference between a blown up gun or it failing to function in semi auto mode). And two, a distinct lack of Jaffa in my area (SG-1).

I did fire a FN-57 once. A doctor had one at a range I was at. Nice gun, it shot a lot like my Walther PPK in .32 auto. Once you get it on target, you simply squeeze the trigger until the threat is gone. There is no bouncing around with recoil, in fact there is little to no recoil. Neat, but I doubt I would trust my life with one...........
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Speer has a GOLD DOT 5.7x28mm defensive round that looks very promising.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Stalin's chief executioner murdered hundreds of thousands with 25 and 32 ACP.  Any cartridge can kill when your shooting victims don't get medical treatment after being shot  point blank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you actually looked into the wounds caused?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. I have a copy of the AAR and a teaching packet I used in the academy. That includes the autopsy summary on every fatality and the wound descriptions on the survivors. I have also stood right next the the pathologist during an autopsy on a 5.7 suicide.

It's a 40 gr jacketed bullet at 1800 fps for roughly 280 ft lbs.  Same as a 22 Magnum out of a rifle.  It's not the magic death ray guntards claim.  The wound channel is indistinguishable from a .380 ACP and the varmint bullets tend to fragment.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Recoil far too much/harsh… in a P90? Have much trigger time with one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the gun it's supposed to shine in, P90, recoil was far too much and too harsh.

Recoil far too much/harsh… in a P90? Have much trigger time with one?

No kidding.  The P90 is one of the easiest full auto guns to fire.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No one said that.
View Quote

Really?  So no one posted this?

"Non scientific bullet on steel test was like shooting a 22LR at steel at the same range. Same noise and same wiggle from the plate"
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

"Non scientific bullet on steel test was like shooting a 22LR at steel at the same range. Same noise and same wiggle from the plate"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one said that.

So? It makes the same sound. It makes the same wiggle. So would any other light varmint cartridge.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So? It makes the same sound. It makes the same wiggle. So would any other light varmint cartridge.
View Quote

Nice try. That post was clearly trying to imply that it is just like a .22LR. I hear that crap a lot and it gets old.  I am in no way saying 5.7 is the greatest and to get rid of your 9mm's. It has its pros and cons and some of the cons are legit but people should at least be factual.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much… it’s hardly 60% of a 10mm, or 2/3 of a 9mm. Why would anyone want that?

The proof, as they say, is in the pudding.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How long were they left to bleed out? Ft Hood is a case study for the importance of timely first response, not for the round used. A .22 (well, a .22 different than 5.7) would have been approcimately as effective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no clue how long first responders took to arrive, do you? I’d venture to guess it wasn’t too long given that it’s a military base.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Another thought is that there are a few 22LR cans that are rated to go on the 5.7...

I have a Optimus Micro in jail right now - thinking this might be a fun option.

Red

Military Arms Channel doing just that.....
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have no clue how long first responders took to arrive, do you? I’d venture to guess it wasn’t too long given that it’s a military base.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be surprised. Try almost an hour in a few cases.  Victims were shipped to hospitals all over. Darnall Army hospital ER is pretty small.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#26]
I wouldn’t want to get shot with it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes. I have a copy of the AAR and a teaching packet I used in the academy. That includes the autopsy summary on every fatality and the wound descriptions on the survivors. I have also stood right next the the pathologist during an autopsy on a 5.7 suicide.

It's a 40 gr jacketed bullet at 1800 fps for roughly 280 ft lbs.  Same as a 22 Magnum out of a rifle.  It's not the magic death ray guntards claim.  The wound channel is indistinguishable from a .380 ACP and the varmint bullets tend to fragment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow!  Ok then. That’s pretty interesting. So the 5.7’did little damage.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Another 5.7x28mm thread.

In for the
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's a novelty.

Buy 10mm.
View Quote

The 10mm is also a novelty.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

People looking at getting a 5.7 will not have their expectations met by a 10mm.

Disclaimer;  I have both.  Novelties can be fun.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It doesn't interest me.
View Quote

Well,that's two of us.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I believe there was a video from Shot 23 that showed a 5.7 pistol that PSA is developing that is roughly the same size as a Glock 19. I am very interested in a 5.7 of that size.
View Quote

Mmmm….. 5.7 needs a bit of barrel length for velocity, not sure a G19 sized gun would be worth it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Reloading for a pistol shouldn't be terrible. The coating on the brass is mainly for feeding through the 50 rd mags. I don't see why it would have any issues feeding from a regular magazine in a pistol.

That said, it's still sensitive to charge weight, but that's pretty easy to overcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The coating is also to aid in extraction from the chamber. Tumbling off the lube can lead to case separation.

I wash fired brass in warm water and simple green and agitate by hand before drying. Then it’s resize/deprime and trim like any other bottle necked case.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well,that's two of us.
View Quote

Well, that’s three of us.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I WAS looking to get a PS90 and SBR it. Two things kept me from it. One, the lack of decent ammo (SS190). Nor can you reload it either. It is not a caliber that takes half assed reloading lightly (0.1 grain could be the difference between a blown up gun or it failing to function in semi auto mode). And two, a distinct lack of Jaffa in my area (SG-1).

I did fire a FN-57 once. A doctor had one at a range I was at. Nice gun, it shot a lot like my Walther PPK in .32 auto. Once you get it on target, you simply squeeze the trigger until the threat is gone. There is no bouncing around with recoil, in fact there is little to no recoil. Neat, but I doubt I would trust my life with one...........
View Quote

While it is not for the first time reloader, it’s not as narrow a window of “0.1gr between blown up gun and failure to run a semi auto” like some say.

I charge cases with a Redding powder thrower and maintain ES/SD similar to FN ammo.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Handloading can bump it up a bit. I’m at 1950fps out of a PSA Rock and 2150fps out of an SBR’d PS90 with 40gr VMAX.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Handloading can bump it up a bit. I’m at 1950fps out of a PSA Rock and 2150fps out of an SBR’d PS90 with 40gr VMAX.
View Quote

That’s pretty sweet.

Now the question for me is, should I start saving my once fired 5.7 brass? I don’t currently reload.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That’s pretty sweet.

Now the question for me is, should I start saving my once fired 5.7 brass? I don’t currently reload.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s pretty sweet.

I’ve saved most of mine, what I could find after shooting anyway. I don’t plan to reload it anytime soon, so I’ll probably just sell it or trade for brass I can use.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, always save brass.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm sure it performs fine but I don't want to add another cartridge to my collection. Ammo appears to be pricey for me too.
View Quote

This is my situation as well. Always wanted a 5.7 (FN). The price of the platform and ammo was too much in my book.
Glad to finally see it is taking off across several manufacturers now so it may become more popular.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That’s pretty sweet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s pretty sweet.

Yes, and mail it to me

In all seriousness, if you think you’re going to reload someday and have the space it doesn’t cost you anything but time to bag it up
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Fun cartridge. Very little recoil lots of bark.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#42]
The .22wmr argument is pretty common, but how does .17hmr compare? .17hmr is a more modern cartridge compared to .22wmr. Is there any spitzer .22wmr ammo?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Cmon. It’s only money
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Is the FN red box still available??
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
i like it if i can get a p90 to use with the ammo...
View Quote

PSA has AR57s in stock
I just got a 12" barrel one.  
Just for fun and I like the function of the magazine.   I would get a Keltec P50 but for the break-open magazine change

Now I need to buy some ammo
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I use it for my truck, tractor, travel, bedside gun.  I wish better ammo was available at a good price.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I wish better ammo was available at a good price.
View Quote

Everyone does.................  
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#48]
A few good 5.7 ammo threads over in the handgun forum- ammunition sub.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Better than 9mm

Not as good as .45ACP
View Quote

So you like the short, heafty rounds and not the long skinny ones?

Who would have guessed?
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
the coating is ensure proper function of blowback design 5.7 guns. It prevents the brass from sticking in the chamber during extraction, and allows the shoulder to bump forward. You will find any non coated brass to hamper the reliability of 5.7 guns. Subsonic tend to work ok, but the effort needed to remove the coating is laborious. Leave it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top