Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably one of the indoor ranges close to me.  Gotta get some ammo and get back from Harvey 1st.  Thanks for the mag link.  Why were they made as 30 rounders?  For Illinois or something?

]
View Quote
FN has made 30's and 10's as an option for a long time.  30's never made much sense to me. IIRC Ohio used to consider any magazine over 30 rounds a machinegun by itself, so it was probably to comply to with stupid laws like that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I still have a 2,000 round can of factory FN SS192.

Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wait...you really think that if the police came and said "dear Arf member,we need help shooting looters" that having to use personal ammunition is somehow a stumbling block? There are 100,000  people holding a billion rounds of ammo on here waiting for the off chance that rioting occurs in their small town whose largest civil disturbance was a football game brawl in 1977.
View Quote
that just about made me pee a little  
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I believe it could be.  Here is the semi auto bolt.
http://www.57center.com/uploaded/images/Parts/Bolt%20Assembly.jpg500x4000.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does the AR57 bolt look like? Wondering if it can be machined to work with a lightning link??  
I believe it could be.  Here is the semi auto bolt.
http://www.57center.com/uploaded/images/Parts/Bolt%20Assembly.jpg500x4000.jpg
Hmm....interesting.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I want a better sling option.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They used to have it at $15 per box but lately it's been $18....Im waiting to see if it goes back to $15 before I buy another case
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just ordered 500 rds of the American eagle and 500 of the blue tipped FN stuff.  Thank goodness for PSA and the sale. ??
They used to have it at $15 per box but lately it's been $18....Im waiting to see if it goes back to $15 before I buy another case
American eagle is 15 a box, the FN is 18, both have free shipping for 10 boxes or more.

AE, is for dirt shooting.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

.22 TCM isn't in the same class as 5.7x28.

https://i.imgur.com/ewZJrfL.jpg
View Quote
Can you expand on why you say this?

They are pretty close performance wise. Bullet selection is more limited for TCM though, especially the 9R version.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the idea of that. Does it make reloading a little easier? 

But personally I find it ugly. I like the iconic look of a P90.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They are pretty close performance wise. Bullet selection is more limited for TCM though, especially the 9R version.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.22 TCM isn't in the same class as 5.7x28.

https://i.imgur.com/ewZJrfL.jpg

Looks pretty close to me.

Box of truth

I'd love one for a coyote/coon gun

I think if you could get a 30 grain Barnes bullet going 2200 fps you might have something if it can reliably penatrate 12-18"
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
5.7x28

https://i.imgur.com/Hcif6gx.jpg

.22 TCM

https://i.imgur.com/CL7P7Ep.jpg

Maximum Overall length....

5.7x28 - 1.594

.22 TCM - 1.265

The .22 TCM cannot reach the velocities of the 5.7x28 for several reasons, one of which is its crippled by its shorter overall length. It cannot use the more efficient bullets used by the 5.7x28. The weapons that utilize the .22 TCM are heavier, larger, don't hold as many rounds.

It also doesn't have anywhere near the penetration of the 5.7x28, not even close.

There are many more companies offering 5.7x28 than .22 TCM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks pretty close to me.

Box of truth

I'd love one for a coyote/coon gun

I think if you could get a 30 grain Barnes bullet going 2200 fps you might have something if it can reliably penatrate 12-18"
5.7x28

https://i.imgur.com/Hcif6gx.jpg

.22 TCM

https://i.imgur.com/CL7P7Ep.jpg

Maximum Overall length....

5.7x28 - 1.594

.22 TCM - 1.265

The .22 TCM cannot reach the velocities of the 5.7x28 for several reasons, one of which is its crippled by its shorter overall length. It cannot use the more efficient bullets used by the 5.7x28. The weapons that utilize the .22 TCM are heavier, larger, don't hold as many rounds.

It also doesn't have anywhere near the penetration of the 5.7x28, not even close.

There are many more companies offering 5.7x28 than .22 TCM.
It might help if you used real world numbers

Something like a a Glock 21 in 22tcm might be interesting.

If they are getting 2100fps with a 40 jhp out of a handgun just think what they could do with either a bonded 40 grain so, or a lighter Barnes bullet.

Iirc the 5.7 gets the same velocity, but with lighter bullets

Eta, looks like 34 grain bullets from the 5.7 go about 50fps faster

The Black Dragon Fang 5.7x28mm!
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Tested the 22tcm and 5.7 against some steel a while back. Also included some chrono numbers.

Here.......
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh, you mean like the photos I posted from the ammo MANUFACTURERS WEB SITES
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It might help if you used real world numbers
Oh, you mean like the photos I posted from the ammo MANUFACTURERS WEB SITES
No, I mean numbers that happen in the real world
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

O.K. I've clocked Elite S4M at an average speed out of my FiveseveN of 2,418 fps. Buffman has Youtube videos reaching IIRC slightly faster speeds. REAL WORLD NUMBERS

And you think Armscor is publishing SLOWER than actual numbers?

Found the YouTube video of Buffman testing Elite S4M (his average was slightly slower than mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qz7JBECpvI
View Quote
You mean a 28 grain bullet from the 5.7 is going faster than a 40 grain bullet in the tcm?

Yes armscor is obviously posting lower numbers than everyone is really getting.

That 28 grain bullet you posted also does not reliably hit 12" after 4 layers of denim.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here is a video of S4M going through 4 layers of denim penetrating 11" , 12.5", and 15"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxBFtilO_C4
View Quote
Yes, it doesn't reliably reach 12". Seems very erratic.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes, it doesn't reliably reach 12". Seems very erratic.
View Quote
LOL!
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Kinda a ford vs chevy argument.  Neither one is ever going to convince the other.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#27]
When an AR-15 and PS90 fall in love and have a child...
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow!!  Like a freak of nature.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Those actually look pretty cool when SBR'd.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been considering that Hera furniture. How do you like it?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Works well in that package.
Maneuvers easy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#32]
So far, all the AR57s posted have been gen1s. Are they better for some reason? (Besides the non-fluted barrel that can be cut).

AFAIK, the internals are the same. Right?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Really?

It's an average of 12.83333333"

As I ve stated before I could care less whether you or anyone else likes the round or not, anyone can clearly see the .22 TCM can't reach the velocities or penetration of the 5.7x28 and now that Elite is selling DevestaTOR to "Joe Citizen" it's not even close!

DevestaTOR out of the FiveseveN penetrates four Level II vests AND a CRISAT plate.
View Quote
An average doesn't mean much when 1/3 is below the minimum accepted standard.

What's the velocity of 5.7s using 40 grain bullets? The .22tcm is new with one loading. I see a bunch of potential with it. Especially in glocks, m&ps, etc.

I'm still waiting for you to post 5.7 loadings that reliably meet the FBI standard 12-18" through bare gel + the 3 barriers that I've asked for in a different thread.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't have the forward grip, but I really like the thumbhole stock.  For, um, reasons.    I'm going to have a very similar setup shortly, but I won't have a mag to catch spent cases.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't have the forward grip, but I really like the thumbhole stock.  For, um, reasons.    I'm going to have a very similar setup shortly, but I won't have a mag to catch spent cases.
View Quote
I actually cut up a 30rd PMag for a brass catcher. Being in Colorado, it was not an easy decision to make, but I think it was worth it.

Matches the JMT 80 lower.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:49:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I actually cut up a 30rd PMag for a brass catcher. Being in Colorado, it was not an easy decision to make, but I think it was worth it.

View Quote
The one in my pic is a gutted GI mag. Its an ejection chute.
But I have a tactical liquor bag to catch the empties. You know....the black one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:14:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
But I have a tactical liquor bag to catch the empties. You know....the black one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No baseplate? I have reliably caught all 50 cases in the pmag. Still haven't figured out why all the necks are severely dented though, catcher or no catcher. I have no intention of reloading anyway...
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:15:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Just a warning fellas. I stacked the AE TMJ 5.7 deep when I got my PS90 and it fucking hates it.
It is straight up dangerous.

Just a warning. I thought maybe it was my rifle, but it turns out I am not the only one.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:19:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just a warning fellas. I stacked the AE TMJ 5.7 deep when I got my PS90 and it fucking hates it.

Just a warning. I thought maybe it was my rifle, but it turns out I am not the only one.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/149112/IMG_1083-303685.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/149112/IMG_1084-303686.JPG
View Quote
Interesting. I bought 1k of that garbage and ran out of adjustment on my five-seven sights because it's was so underpowered. Decided to only shoot it in my PS90 sbr. Guess I'll have to keep an eye on it. I'll never purchase that shit again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:24:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Whoa.

So far, AE has worked fine with my AR57, but I have heard horror stories.

That's not good.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:30:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No baseplate? I have reliably caught all 50 cases in the pmag. Still haven't figured out why all the necks are severely dented though, catcher or no catcher. I have no intention of reloading anyway...
View Quote
I cut off the baseplate lips and the feed lips. I could not get the mag to keep all the emptied cases without jamming
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:  Just a warning fellas. I stacked the AE TMJ 5.7 deep when I got my PS90 and it fucking hates it.

View Quote
AR57 ammo?  Mass-delayed blowback w/ an action that's not next to your face?  Make you a deal?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And you think Armscor is publishing SLOWER than actual numbers?
View Quote
Yes, they are. I don't know why, but they are. Everyone who chronos the 22TCM sees at least 2000 fps in the real world out of a pistol.

I think one of the only things holding the 22TCM back right now is the poor marketing by ARMSCOR.

It is similar to 300 Whisper vs 300 Blackout. The Whisper was a niche cartridge for many years, but once a good marketing company got a hold of it (AAC) it took off. I expect something similar to happen with the TCM, it is just too good of an idea.

I really like the 5.7x28mm and I think there is plenty of room for both it and the TCM, I don't see it as a competition really. The long OAL of the 5.7 gives better bullet selection, while the short OAL of the TCM gives more flexible selection of guns and magazines.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted: Do you think your vaunted .22 TCM can pull off shooting through ONE Level II vest?

DevestaTOR will EASILY do it.

Hell, even T6B will do it.

Frankly I don't give a shit about the FBI Standard!
View Quote
I would expect .22" TCM to go right through a Level 2 vest, and probably Level 3A as well.  Why would you not expect a 40 grn bullet doing 2000 fps to penetrate a Level 2 vest?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
READ!

Do you think your vaunted .22 TCM can pull off shooting through ONE Level II vest?

DevestaTOR will EASILY do it.

Hell, even T6B will do it.

Frankly I don't give a shit about the FBI Standard!

My duty rifle is loaded with Hornady .223 40 gr TAP Urban. I can pretty much assure you it won't go 12" but it will leave a permanent cavity the size of a grapefruit around 5" in. Think that won't stop a dirt bag instantly? The load is in use by several large SWAT units around the country. The track record is a hit to the torso and their down, body bag down.

I do carry TAP Barrier in case I need to engage a vehicle.
View Quote
You mean like this? It's not even backed with clay or gel and still goes through. It's not really my round, not yet anyways.

22 TCM VS Level II Body Armor

I know how you hold the FBIs standards in disgust, which should be a sign for the rest of us. While I'm a no one, I have shot people with a 556 and I sure as hell wouldn't want a round that penatrates so poorly. I suppose your experience shooting bad guys must be different. Good luck with that.

I think both these rounds could be kick ass if the 5.7 could actually show how they perform against the industry standards, and the .22 tcm needs more loadings. Just from the one tcm loading it looks like it shows a lot of promise if they can fit it in a few other polymer guns.

I'm surprised someone whose spent 30 years fighting bad guys doesn't favor more penatration. Hopefully you'll never need to test your theories.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You mean like this? It's not even backed with clay or gel and still goes through. It's not really my round, not yet anyways.
View Quote
I always thought you needed the gel or clay (or a body) to back the soft armor because that firm elasticity improved its performance.  Without anything in back I think more stuff gets through.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I always thought you needed the gel or clay (or a body) to back the soft armor because that firm elasticity improved its performance.  Without anything in back I think more stuff gets through.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other way. A loose floppy piece of soft armor is much harder to penatrate.

Picture a piece of paper. One backed by clay, the other hanging free. Now poke your finger through them both and see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The thought is the bearing surface on the Federal AE bullet is too short to properly retain the bullet in the case.

Reports indicate it works better in the FiveseveN pistol than in the PS90.

This is a Federal AE round that failed on Independence Day when we were blasting away with the P90 at 900 rpm....

https://i.imgur.com/4MawJUt.jpg
View Quote
If the 5.7x28 AE failures are so wide spread, I wonder why Federal isn't doing something about it.... Are people not contacting Federal? It seems Federal could have thousands of complaints if everyone that had a problem contacted them.  I want to buy about 500rds of the stuff to try out in my PS90 since there are many people that have zero problems with the stuff, then there are people that make it seem like I'll be dead on the floor of the range if I use it or at the very least I'll have over half of the rounds set back into the case. What are the variables in the PS90 where some people have nothing but issues while others have no problems at all. I've used tons of American Eagle ammo in other calibers and there's never been inconsistent quality from one batch to the next. Is there a simple crimper a non-reloader could use on these rounds?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top