Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2016 10:06:20 AM EDT

With all the things that he had done with his life - what else would he had done if he had stayed with us another 10 or 20 years?

Red
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Written more worthless crap for the critics to fawn over.

Not a fan.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember the newspaper headlines.......
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably not much considering he had been diagnosed with hemochromatosis and was starting to slide into the mental debilitation that comes along with its advanced stages.

Hence his suicide, just like his father.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe that he thought that whatever he would have done would probably have hurt his legacy.  At his best, he was exceptional.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmWuvdDVYAAe23X.jpg

With all the things that he had done with his life - what else would he had done if he had stayed with us another 10 or 20 years?

Red

View Quote
No doubt, shown us the ravages of cirrosis of the liver.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Dat. 505 Gibbs rifle in the basement of the New York City branch of Abercrombie & Fitch, doe.

BOOM

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dat. 505 Gibbs rifle in the basement of the New York City branch of Abercrombie & Fitch, doe.

BOOM

http://i.imgur.com/7Omh9Sn.jpg
View Quote
no cookie

9/10
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Liked guns, had a Thompson when that sort of thing was legal.

Tortured soul; ended the same as many other combat veterans.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Definitely a man's man.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I read somehwere that even as a journalist he killed some Germans.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Didn't try and hunt  nazi subs in his own boat?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Did things his way.

I got zero problems with his decision.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#14]
And he won't do that again.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Probably not much considering he had been diagnosed with hemochromatosis and was starting to slide into the mental debilitation that comes along with its advanced stages.

Hence his suicide, just like his father.
View Quote

Yep, at least he had the courage to take his life into his own hands instead of suffering through a hopeless creeping death.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#16]
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not a fan.

View Quote
reportedly the reason his prose was so spare, so basic, was that he set himself a goal of writing just so many pages a day, once he finished his quota he could proceed to get drunk.............so, write sparely, write quickly, get drunk sooner.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
reportedly the reason his prose was so spare, so basic, was that he set himself a goal of writing just so many pages a day, once he finished his quota he could proceed to get drunk.............so, write sparely, write quickly, get drunk sooner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a fan.

His contemporary and friend Robert Ruark did much the same.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a fan.

Except he would fill pages faster if he were more verbose, not less.  And while it is popular to describe his style as "spare," it isn't.  It is just different from what most writers write.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a fan.

Ruark certainly got drunk a lot, but his writing was more similar in content than style, and then only sometimes.  His Africa stories were very different than Hemingway's.  The hunting and fishing stories were his more personal version of Nick Adams, but his southern industrialist/writer stories were very different than anything Hemingway wrote.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]
So what was his major issue, queer, pedo or drug addict?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#23]
no his major issue was he was a commie sympathizer   what the hell is wrong with you all.      BETA males

a mans man  this a$$  found and trained the communist in spain

there was a time in america when left wing nut jobs owned guns, and hunted this guy was one of them  now they are a bunch of momma boy beta males
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hemochromatosis

WHAT IS HEMOCHROMATOSIS?

Hemochromatosis is an iron disorder in which the body simply loads too much iron. This action is genetic and the excess iron, if left untreated, can damage joints, organs, and eventually be fatal.

There are several types of hemochromatosis. Type 1, also called Classic Hemochromatosis (HHC), is a leading cause of iron overload disease. People with HHC (too much iron) absorb extra amounts of iron from the daily diet. The human body cannot rid itself of extra iron. Over time, these excesses build up in major organs such as the heart, liver, pancreas, joints, and pituitary. If the extra iron is not removed, these organs can become diseased. Untreated hemochromatosis can be fatal.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

At least two of the three.  He allegedly molested some of his daughters.
No idea about the gay part.  One of his daughters also comitted suicide - mariel i think.

Had to read, or try to read, "for whom the bell tolls" in HS.  It was really a pathetic story about a bunch of pathetic people.  I couldn't bring myself to read it all the way through.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No idea about the gay part.  One of his daughters also comitted suicide - mariel i think.

Had to read, or try to read, "for whom the bell tolls" in HS.  It was really a pathetic story about a bunch of pathetic people.  I couldn't bring myself to read it all the way through.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Margaux committed suicide by drug overdose. She and Mariel were granddaughters of Ernest Hemmingway. Mariel is still around. There is a third sister named Joan.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
no his major issue was he was a commie sympathizer   what the hell is wrong with you all.      BETA males

there was a time in america when left wing nut jobs owned guns, and hunted this guy was one of them  now they are a bunch of momma boy beta males
View Quote

huh. Well that the first time I've heard some one describe Hemingway as a 'beta male'
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Had his drink "Death in the afternoon" last night with a cigar.  

Odd pairing but I like the drink... Best with Oysters though.  

Untitled by Shift_Six, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#29]
This is an Oscar winning short film, made by a Russian animator, Aleksandr Petrov, of The Old Man and the Sea.

He made it from 29,000 paintings on glass, done by himself and his son. It took over two years.to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMoIoiN5aSQ

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hemochromatosis

WHAT IS HEMOCHROMATOSIS?

Hemochromatosis is an iron disorder in which the body simply loads too much iron. This action is genetic and the excess iron, if left untreated, can damage joints, organs, and eventually be fatal.

There are several types of hemochromatosis. Type 1, also called Classic Hemochromatosis (HHC), is a leading cause of iron overload disease. People with HHC (too much iron) absorb extra amounts of iron from the daily diet. The human body cannot rid itself of extra iron. Over time, these excesses build up in major organs such as the heart, liver, pancreas, joints, and pituitary. If the extra iron is not removed, these organs can become diseased. Untreated hemochromatosis can be fatal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hemochromatosis

WHAT IS HEMOCHROMATOSIS?

Sound like he was turning into Colossus. That would be awesome.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I liked a few of his novels but his WW2 crap sucked.

Ernie Pyle was the go-to guy for WW2 journalism.

Hemingway's WW2 stuff is ignored yer Pyle's is still read.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

This is an Oscar winning short film, made by a Russian animator, Aleksandr Petrov, of The Old Man and the Sea.

He made it from 29,000 paintings on glass, done by himself and his son. It took over two years.to make.

View Quote

Wow. Just watched the whole thing. That was really good
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a fan.  And I like (most) of his writing.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#34]

One of my favorite MST3K scenes was in "Attack of the The Eye Creatures." An old man sitting at his desk. Propped up against the wall next to him was a shotgun, which he picks up and begins loading.

The comment was "We now join Ernest Hemingway at his home in Ketchum, Idaho."

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ruark certainly got drunk a lot, but his writing was more similar in content than style, and then only sometimes.  His Africa stories were very different than Hemingway's.  The hunting and fishing stories were his more personal version of Nick Adams, but his southern industrialist/writer stories were very different than anything Hemingway wrote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a fan.

True. I did have typed out that the similarity I mentioned was only the writing before the drinking thing and not that their styles were the same.

His Old Man and the Boy is one of my most favorite books ever.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
Excellent rendition, definitely worth the time to watch ! Thanks for posting !
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

He was a correspondent during the Spanish Civil War; hell, he spent most of his time there shacked up with his mistress.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Love his book "Green Hills of Africa".

He was the most interesting man in the world perhaps.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Just finished THE HEMINGWAY PATROLS

https://www.amazon.com/Hemingway-Patrols-Ernest-Hunt-U-Boats/dp/1416597875

Definitely worth a read.  I always thought that stuff was just another reason to get drunk and go fishing, but it was a US government sanctioned U-boat defense.  Hemingway was not a communist or a leftist.  I'm surprised by a lot of the remarks here.  He was his own man.  Spain in the thirties was what Syria is today.  

Which side would you support in Syria today?

ETA Clarification:  By support, I mean which side would you go to that region and do something for, be it reporting, providing aid, picking up a rifle...
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

True. I did have typed out that the similarity I mentioned was only the writing before the drinking thing and not that their styles were the same.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a fan.

Both of the Old Man books were great.  I haven't read either in 20+ years but still remember parts like hunting in Louisiana and building their fishing shack in the Outer Banks clearly.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I read somehwere that even as a journalist he killed some Germans.
View Quote

Prisoners, yes

What a man
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I liked his short stories best.  Personal favorites being A WAY YOU'LL NEVER BE,  IN ANOTHER COUNTRY and THE SHORT HAPPY LIFE OF FRANCIS MACOMBER.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Both of the Old Man books were great.  I haven't read either in 20+ years but still remember parts like hunting in Louisiana and building their fishing shack in the Outer Banks clearly.
View Quote

I have both. My kids both enjoyed me reading to them out of the books. I feel those books made me a better father than I would have been had I not read them.

My copy of the first one, I took on a vacation with me. My dog got ahold of it and chewed the hell out of one corner. Makes the book that much more special. (For those who haven't read it, a large percentage of the book is about hunting with dogs).

Quotes like this are what I'm talking about:

"The old man knows pretty near close to everything. And mostly he ain't painful with it".

Sorry to derail the Hemmingway thread.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've read quite a bit about the man and I've never heard of him molesting his kids. Distant and emotionally abusive, but not that. He was completely self centered and arrogant, but a hell of a writer. He created the modern concept of a "man's man".
What authors do you prefer, so we have a frame if reference on your literary opinions?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://www.hemingwayhome.com/images/made/Cat-Pic-Hairy-Truman_731_600_100.jpg
View Quote

Right down to the polydactyl cat
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I was in Key West celebrating with him this weekend -  at least I thought he was there.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Interesting to watch a bunch of nobodies talk shit.

It's easy, isn't it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bob approves of this thread . . .

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#49]
He is legend.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

well,  his son Gregory was apparently a fetishistic tranny.....

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/GregoryHemingway.html
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top