Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 41
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
report of the lava on Kaupili being within 75 yards of Kahukai.  Moving north.  Houses in its path.

After Kahukai is Pohoiki... then some open grass land... then highway 132.  Then more housing that has not yet been evacuated... then forest land... then government beach rd... and ocean.

When it crosses 132 that should trigger the evacuation of several thousand people currently to the East of all this who will have to get out before Government beach rd gets cut. ( this would include the Civil Beat people )
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It's crossed kahukai.

alternate link to video.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjORSg_ghlc/?taken-by=milekalincoln
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Just in awe of this activity
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for posting these videos. Some of those folks are crazy, no way would I be that close to the lava.
View Quote
It's not moving real quick,  you can easily walk faster than anything other than the middle of the channel flows.

My wife and I got a chance on the Big Island a few years ago when they had a flow just west of what they have now.   Walked around in front of the toe for about an hour,  we had to travel about 100 yards in that time to stay in front of it.

It is truly awe inspiring to watch in the flesh.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's not moving real quick,  you can easily walk faster than anything other than the middle of the channel flows.

My wife and I got a chance on the Big Island a few years ago when they had a flow just west of what they have now.   Walked around in front of the toe for about an hour,  we had to travel about 100 yards in that time to stay in front of it.

View Quote
there are other risks from the gases and lava bombs if near a fountain... but the main other direct risk is if you're next to a "perched pool" because the sides of such pools are known to collapse and send a wave of lava out at nearly 35 mph.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for posting these videos. Some of those folks are crazy, no way would I be that close to the lava.

He's probably talking about the video near the fountains that were shooting out the lava bombs.

Those guys were way too close.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Leilani Estates New Lava Flow Crossing Kahukai at Pig House and Doghouse House 4:13 PM May 25, 2018

So it when into the woods (and houses) between Kaupili and Mohala to cross Kahukai.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How long will it take for the lava to cool after the eruption stops?
View Quote
... not to be a smart alec, but the Hawaiian island chain has been doing exactly this for millions of years, it's how that got there

On a funny, unrelated note, I noticed that this chick used a kinetic bullet puller to smash a chip in RoboCop 3 tonight

Smash chip scene

Link Posted: 5/26/2018 2:18:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Hawaii Eruption: USGS Conference Call (May 25, 2018)
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 5:17:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 5:58:37 AM EDT
[#11]
overflight video.

https://vimeo.com/271985003
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
lava flow on Kaupili st taking another house.

Black smoke = house ... or maybe a car.
gray smoke = wood/vegetation
white smoke = steam or gases from the lava vents themselves.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DeFB4QjVMAAw-Tq.jpg:large
View Quote
Color of smoke relates to fire intensity
Let’s use a forest fire for example, color of smoke is one of your biggest clues as to what is going on with flames you can’t see, as you approach the afternoon heat and loss of humidity along with likely stronger winds, fuels that have been heat treated and drying out from nearby fire eventually start to go off and the fire starts to rip. White, grey or blue smoke is low intensity and black smoke is high.
A lot of times driving to a fire in a local area and being first on scene one of the few things you know going in is color of smoke thanks to a helo or fire watch.

vegetation for Hawaii burning is a bit different than The rest of the county, there is generally a wet side and a dry side to the Hawaiian islands and fires rarely grow big because the wet side generally stays wet and the dry side generally stays dry.
Where as the rest of the country will go from wet season to dry season and hence we see fire season get going in late summer
Hawaii is a very different animal.

Cars and houses will always emit black smoke because they will always burn intensely along with the chemicals and all the other shit burning with it.

There’s your fire related fun fact o day
And in this case lava related fun fact
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Perhaps the 9th Circuit Judge in Hawaii can save them with a well timed ruling.
View Quote
Genius!
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Been following this off and on. What are the long term effects?
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg5EtqsycrQ

So it when into the woods (and houses) between Kaupili and Mohala to cross Kahukai.
View Quote
To me, it sounds like ammunition cooking off as the house burns. I can hear it as the camera man turns the corner.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

... not to be a smart alec, but the Hawaiian island chain has been doing exactly this for millions of years, it's how that got there

On a funny, unrelated note, I noticed that this chick used a kinetic bullet puller to smash a chip in RoboCop 3 tonight

Smash chip scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6j7FO0rWXs
View Quote
and she's smashing it with the wrong end... she's going to break the collet cap!
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Kilauea Volcano Eruption Update A'a lava flow on Kahukai and Kaupili 5:36 AM May 26, 2018
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#18]
https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/status.html

Fissure 22 continues to erupt lava that is flowing southeast to the coast and the lava ocean entry. Fountains at Fissures 6 and 13 feed lava into a channel that reaches the coast forming a second ocean entry.

Fissures 7 and 21 are feeding a perched lava pond and phoehoe flow that has advanced northeastward covering most of the area between Kaupili and Mohala Streets. The flow front has become an 'A' flow and is advancing slowly toward Pahoa Pohoiki Road. The latest observations indicate the flow front is about 150 yards from the road. On the west side of Fissure 7 a perched phoehoe flow (near Makamae St) broke out around 04:00am feeding short flows to the west. Overnight, flaming and vigorous spatter was observed from a cone on Fissure 8, while Fissure 17 was the source of multiple booming gas emissions. Sensors in the LERZ(Lower East Rift Zone) indicated that the lava ocean entries remained active overnight.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I love that A'a is onomatopoeia for what it sounds like if you walk on it barefoot.o
Ah!a-ahh! Ah! Ooh! Ahh!

Link Posted: 5/26/2018 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#20]
That's some crazy lava.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#21]
USGS Status Update of Kilauea Volcano - May 26, 2018
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Kilauea eruption A'a Lava flow in Leilani Estates. 7:07 AM May 26, 2018
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't think this has been posted yet.

Pahoehoe: Low volume flow rate, low flow rate velocity, forms lava tubes, few, many flow channels, thin flow units (0.2-2 meters or 0.7 to 6 feet), lower viscosity, slightly hotter

'A'a: High volume flow rate, high flow rate velocity, forms large channels, few, large flow channels, thick flow units (2-10 meters or 6-30 feet), higher viscosity, slightly cooler
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Pahoehoe: Low volume flow rate, low flow rate velocity, forms lava tubes, few, many flow channels, thin flow units (0.2-2 meters or 0.7 to 6 feet), lower viscosity, slightly hotter

'A'a: High volume flow rate, high flow rate velocity, forms large channels, few, large flow channels, thick flow units (2-10 meters or 6-30 feet), higher viscosity, slightly cooler
View Quote
The pahoehoe flows have certainly not been Low flow rate and are almost always much faster than A'a...  A'a is usually quite slow... like turtle can out run it slow.  I think the flow volumes can be comparable... but I suspect pahoehoe generally has much more volume.  The flows from these fissures have been primarily Pahoehoe... probably nearly 50 times more pahoehoe than A'a thus far.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Amazing watching the clinkers come down and then covered up
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The pahoehoe flows have certainly not been Low flow rate and are almost always much faster than A'a...  A'a is usually quite slow... like turtle can out run it slow.  I think the flow volumes can be comparable... but I suspect pahoehoe generally has much more volume.  The flows from these fissures have been primarily Pahoehoe... probably nearly 50 times more pahoehoe than A'a thus far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just copy and pasted.

I should have read it more carefully.

Here is from the USGS-

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vsc/glossary/aa.html
‘A‘a (pronounced "ah-ah") is a Hawaiian term for lava flows that have a rough rubbly surface composed of broken lava blocks called clinkers. The incredibly spiny surface of a solidified ‘A‘a flow makes walking very difficult and slow. The clinkery surface actually covers a massive dense core, which is the most active part of the flow. As pasty lava in the core travels downslope, the clinkers are carried along at the surface. At the leading edge of an ‘A‘a flow, however, these cooled fragments tumble down the steep front and are buried by the advancing flow. This produces a layer of lava fragments both at the bottom and top of an ‘A‘a flow

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vsc/glossary/pahoehoe.html
Basaltic lava that has a smooth, hummocky, or ropy surface. A pahoehoe flow typically advances as a series of small lobes and toes that continually break out from a cooled crust.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Album updated with more pictures.

these specific ones are from Yesterday I think.  Credit: https://www.facebook.com/andrewrichardhara

The flow crossing Kahukai

Also at the south side of the lava pool there's some flow trying to head South but bumping up against Kahuwai Crater.  (remnant of past fissure eruptions)

I believe these are from Yesterday.  Just about half an hour ago I heard over the radio that the flow had crossed Pohoiki rd.  Since the flow spread out a lot between Kahukai and Pohoiki rd... precisely where along Pohoiki rd it crossed was not made clear.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#29]
USGS flow map released.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/maps_uploads/image-447.jpg

Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I have heard repeated references to pig house and dog house in videos.  Are these references to a actual pig processing facility and someone’s pets dog house?  Just don’t understand reference.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have heard repeated references to pig house and dog house in videos.  Are these references to a actual pig processing facility and someone's pets dog house?  Just don't understand reference.
View Quote
One house that is now completely covered in lava had 2 dog houses at the entrance to the driveway.

Another house which they found a ridge they could stand on to overlook fissure 6 they also saw pigs (unknown if wild or escaped) Thus it was called the pig house thereafter.  This house still exists and can be seen on the hill opposite the USGS camera.  It is however now cut off from anyone accessing it as the only access road (Kahukai) has an active lava flow going across it currently.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for explaining that!

And all your contributions!
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Here's a good video with some awesome shots.

That lava lake is incredible.  As a long time nature/landscape photographer, I'd LOVE to be out there and photograph this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCQaUfIoDbg
View Quote
That Major without his cover has me triggered.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:15:40 AM EDT
[#34]
That one area of lava is out-flanking the PGV. Looks ominous.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
One house that is now completely covered in lava had 2 dog houses at the entrance to the driveway.

Another house which they found a ridge they could stand on to overlook fissure 6 they also saw pigs (unknown if wild or escaped) Thus it was called the pig house thereafter.  This house still exists and can be seen on the hill opposite the USGS camera.  It is however now cut off from anyone accessing it as the only access road (Kahukai) has an active lava flow going across it currently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have heard repeated references to pig house and dog house in videos.  Are these references to a actual pig processing facility and someone's pets dog house?  Just don't understand reference.

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That one area of lava is out-flanking the PGV. Looks ominous.
View Quote
it's a little weird.  It should be going down hill ... to the right in the USGS camera view.  But it swung left and seems to be filling in the area along pohoiki up to the perched pond of fissure 6 and 5/13.  It would still have to go up hill to reach PGV... so it should squirt out the side to the right through that field...
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 5/27/2018 1:48:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a good video with some awesome shots.

That lava lake is incredible.  As a long time nature/landscape photographer, I'd LOVE to be out there and photograph this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCQaUfIoDbg
Nasty guard, not a real major.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 3:09:45 AM EDT
[#39]
USGS reports that the South East side of the massive lava lake from Fissures 7 and 21 has started spilling into Pawai Crater.  That's one of the three craters in the ridge to the south.

This is a good thing.  any lava going there isn't taking houses... and potentially isn't feeding the NorthEast flow that's across Pohoiki Rd.   If enough is stolen from that flow long enough it could even kill it... for quite a while if not for good.

I was asked to explain... so I added some arrows to my map real quick.

Link Posted: 5/27/2018 3:38:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Total newbie about lava flows/eruptions like this but, is there a timetable for how long the flows are going to last? Simply incredible stuff.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 3:41:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Total newbie about lava flows/eruptions like this but, is there a timetable for how long the flows are going to last? Simply incredible stuff.
View Quote
Somewhere between next Tuesday and Christmas, 2,457 would be a safe guess.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 3:45:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Could be days, months, or years.... no one knows.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 3:58:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Reserve officers, when on active duty, shall enjoy all the same prerogatives as officers in the regular service...

IIRC. I couldn't find the exact reg.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 5:26:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Reserve officers, when on active duty, shall enjoy all the same prerogatives as officers in the regular service...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nasty guard =/=Reserves

When they meet the same standards, they earn the same prerogatives.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Over the past few hours I'm not seeing much sign of it slowing.  Still quite a bit of motion.

Link Posted: 5/27/2018 6:47:50 AM EDT
[#46]

Fissure 21 is feeding an 'a' flow that has advanced to the northeast and this afternoon crossed Pahoa Pohoiki Road onto PGV property. Fissure 7 is feeding a flow that has turned south toward the coast, and at dusk the lava was cascading into the Pawaii crater, adjacent to the western margin of the fissure 6 flow that feeds one of the ocean entries.

Well if the fissures have split duties like that... this flow we can see on the USGS cam isn't going to be slowing down.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Hawaii Volcano Eruption Update - Saturday Night (May 26, 2018)
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Fissures 22 and 13 continue to feed lava flows extending south to the lava ocean entry. Signals recorded on stations in the LERZ indicate that the lava ocean entry remained active overnight.

Fissure 21 is feeding an 'a' flow that has continued to advance to the northeast on PGV property. However, the rate of advance has slowed overnight coincident with an observed decline in the vigor of fountaining at Fissure 21. Fissure 7 activity has increased overnight, producing a large spatter rampart over 100 feet tall from fountains reaching 150-200 feet. The fountains fed a perched phoehoe flow 20-40 feet thick, and ultimately a flow that had turned south toward the coast last night.

Large cracks were observed overnight on Kupono St. about 360 yards north of Malama St, near Fissure 9. Fissure 8 had three vents active overnight that were spattering and flaming, and have doubled in size over the past 24 hours. Fissure 6 was inactive overnight.

It's right up on and maybe a little inside that green building on the edge of the PGV well pad.

http://www.kitv.com/story/38109291/big-islands-kilauea-volcanic-eruption-destroys-two-homes
The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports a new fissure 24. It is between Kupono and Nohea Street in Leilani Estates and is not threatening any structures at this time.

Lava flow crossed into PGV property overnight but has not impacted any wells. A special task force headed by Tom Travis continues to work to make the wells safe and to prevent any threats to the public from developing.  At this time there is no hydrogen sulfide detected.  The public will be kept informed of the situation
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Cam caught a couple helicopters in view checking things out.

Link Posted: 5/27/2018 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Pahoehoe lava flow on Luana inside Leilani Estates 8:24 AM May 27, 2018

Pahoehoe lava flow on Luana 8:36 AM May 27, 2018. Kilauea eruption in Leilani Estates
Page / 41
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top