Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]
4:15 AM in the morning and it's dark, and weather depending, the fog and really get thick there too.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Killed in the crash were Riese Lenders (pilot), 25, of Rancho Palos Verdes; Manuel Vargas-Regalado, 32, of Temecula; Abigail Tellez-Vargas, 33, of Murrieta; Ibrahem Razick, 46, of Temecula; Alma Razick, 51, of Temecula; and Lindsey Gleiche, 31, of Huntington Beach, according to the Riverside County Sheriff's Office.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
McCarran, who it used to be named after, didn't like the Jews (and I guess other racist crap. Ironically the Jews didn't like Reid, he had to elope because his wife's Jewish parents objected to her marrying Reid because he wasn't Jewish.

Reid didn't bother coming to the renaming ceremony "because of Covid"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Harry Reid rated an airport?

McCarran, who it used to be named after, didn't like the Jews (and I guess other racist crap. Ironically the Jews didn't like Reid, he had to elope because his wife's Jewish parents objected to her marrying Reid because he wasn't Jewish.

Reid didn't bother coming to the renaming ceremony "because of Covid"

Fucker is dead now.  Good riddance.   Rumor is his brother beat the shit out of him the time he supposedly fell off his treadmill and busted up his face.  Hope it hurt.

Rural NV didn't like him.  Only thing that kept him going was Las Vegas and Reno.  One election cycle he flew in to Reno and his entourage drove to town.   Somebody hung him in effigy outside city limits on the Reno Hwy.  

Good riddance!
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is the C550 a single pilot rated aircraft?

Between the weather, where the crash was, and the fact the aircraft was very active leading up to the crash, those holes in the Swiss cheese are already starting to appear.
View Quote

You can get a single pilot type waiver for the 550.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Per the victim list posted above, it looks like that was the case.

A likely fatigued and relatively inexperienced pilot (given his age) flying a jet to minimums as a single pilot.

Doesn’t exactly leave a lot to the imagination given what we know.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A likely fatigued and relatively inexperienced pilot (given his age) flying a jet to minimums as a single pilot.

View Quote

Plus repeating an approach they just did seems like a waste. Could it have gotten better? Or did it get worse?

Diverting to a towered Airport that's getting pireps and can adjust approach lighting seems like a better plan
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
never go below the glideslope.      :(
View Quote

Especially on a VNAV approach!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Plus repeating an approach they just did seems like a waste. Could it have gotten better? Or did it get worse?

Diverting to a towered Airport that's getting pireps and can adjust approach lighting seems like a better plan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To use a better plan, you have to actually have a better plan.

Back side of the clock flying, single pilot, crappy weather to minimums with not much experience, is asking a lot.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Survived impact but JetA engulfed them in flames, to a fiery death. Not the way to go…

Proper game plan was to divert to another field with better landing conditions?
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Charged fuselage? Like electric?
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like most FAA fatality reports, most are inconclusive, even with video recordings of crash.  So being an FAA crash inspector puts your report logic at wits within the inaccuracies of a local TV weatherman. Shit job, good pay, but who gives a fuck if you are right because you get a Govt. paycheck with excellent benefits, and the dead don’t complain…
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Wonder if the pilot was considering diverting but got pressured by the passengers to land? I would think a young pilot like that would be super cautious.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Like most FAA fatality reports, most are inconclusive, even with video recordings of crash.  So being an FAA crash inspector puts your report logic at wits within the inaccuracies of a local TV weatherman. Shit job, good pay, but who gives a fuck if you are right because you get a Govt. paycheck with excellent benefits, and the dead don't complain
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like most FAA fatality reports, most are inconclusive, even with video recordings of crash.  So being an FAA crash inspector puts your report logic at wits within the inaccuracies of a local TV weatherman. Shit job, good pay, but who gives a fuck if you are right because you get a Govt. paycheck with excellent benefits, and the dead don't complain
What did I just read?
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Not in aviation but NFW I would trust my life to a single 25 year old pilot!
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wonder if the pilot was considering diverting but got pressured by the passengers to land? I would think a young pilot like that would be super cautious.
View Quote

My thought given the age is that he was unable to be pilot in command and either say NO for the flight or divert if one carefully done approach showed it to be unsafe.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Survived impact but JetA engulfed them in flames, to a fiery death. Not the way to go…

Proper game plan was to divert to another field with better landing conditions?
View Quote

Diverting early is usually the best course of action. But depending on the age of avionics, the first he might have known the weather was shit was a controller or ATIS reception.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#19]
ATIS is talking to an inanimate ATC.  It’s gives current conditions, which could change rapidly.  I want a real voice, on a tower to help me decide if a landing is go, or no go.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the C550 a single pilot rated aircraft?

Between the weather, where the crash was, and the fact the aircraft was very active leading up to the crash, those holes in the Swiss cheese are already starting to appear.

Most insurance companies will give a big “fuck you” to that
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s a joke and a fucking travesty.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#22]
That being said I know of a high time delta pilot that landed well below mins on a gps approach cause he needed to get home.  People do stupid shit.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
ATIS is talking to an inanimate ATC.  It’s gives current conditions, which could change rapidly.  I want a real voice, on a tower to help me decide if a landing is go, or no go.
View Quote

Never did 135 air ambulance, I see
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ATC isn't the approach police. If the pilot says they want the approach, then they get the approach.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Assuming it's Part 91, it's legal to look/see the approach.

If it's Part 135/121, that's not allowed. You need the visibility to commence the approach.
View Quote
Partly why I wonder if the AWOS said the same thing as the METAR, but I bet we'll never know.

Either way, giving him the benefit of the doubt that it was a Part 91 flight (which it doesn't seem it was), he had his look on the first approach, and it sucked bad enough that he couldn't see the runway.  That's the time he should have just gone to an alternate instead of trying again in the same shit Wx.  It wasn't going to get any better in that 5 minutes.

Quoted:

Because the pax had their cars at French Valley and we're giving them shit because they wanted to divert to ONT? Not an unusual scenario.
View Quote

Wouldn't be surprised, but better to be slightly inconvenienced and alive than turned into crispy critters in a fiery crash.

Seems it's called PILOT in command, not PASSENGER in command for a reason.  He was being paid to do pilot shit, and sometimes that means saying "no" to passengers.  I'm sure his bosses at the 135 operation would have been pissed at him for a couple hours, but again, better to be fired than be ON fire.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:26:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Diverting early is usually the best course of action. But depending on the age of avionics, the first he might have known the weather was shit was a controller or ATIS reception.
View Quote

No ATIS.  AWOS-3.

CTAF/UNICOM: 122.8
WX AWOS-3: 119.025 (951-696-1018)
MARCH APPROACH: 133.5 134.0
MARCH DEPARTURE: 133.5 134.0
WX AWOS-3PT at HMT (11 nm NE): 118.375 (951-925-6886)
WX AWOS-3P at L18 (15 nm SW): 118.425 (760-723-6073)
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:29:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Partly why I wonder if the AWOS said the same thing as the METAR, but I bet we'll never know.
View Quote

I am assuming that the METAR is derived from the airport (F70) AWOS system that broadcasts that data on the AWOS frequency and is also sent to some external facility since it does show up on aviation related websites.

I just checked Airnav.com for a local airport and the METAR listed there is 21 minutes old.  Update...now one is nine minutes old.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:51:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
IN before 87 pages of 'not the pilots fault/non-explosions/SMEs/' ad nauseam
View Quote

But that’s the fun of it! Guaranteed laughs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:54:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Pilot, 26, and car dealership owner, 46, who are among six people killed in California plane crash when jet missed the runway in heavy fog - as their devastated friends pay tributes

Victims of a horrific plane crash where the aircraft burst into flames killing all six people inside have been identified by authorities.

They included the pilots, Riese Lenders, 25, of Rancho Palos Verdes, and 32-year-old Manuel Vargas-Regalado of Temecula, as well as his wife, 33-year-old Abigail Tellez-Vargas.

Ibrahem Razick, 46, who goes by Abe, and 51-year-old Alma Razick of Temecula and Lindsey Gleiche, 31, of Huntington Beach, were also killed.

Pictures and tributes have poured in for Lenders, who was remembered as a 'great man.'

'RIP Riese Lenders we were just getting going young blood! You went out this morning doing what you loved and truly mad you stoked daily,' one social-media post read.

'You will be remembered as my friend, my pilot and one hell of a great man! So fun and so in tune with life. You were a pleasure to be around.

'We will deeply miss your presence. Love all of us here at the Mamelli Family. You were adopted a while ago. I will miss you buddy.'

The 25-year-old appeared to love the outdoors, often posting on social media his adventures including skiing, surfing and camping.

Ibrahem Razick, who also goes by Abraham, was a car dealer and ex-marine.

Fullerton Ford and Hyundai/Kia Yuma both posted their condolences as they mourned the 46-year-old they described as a 'loving husband, father, brother and proud United States Marine.'

'Today our hearts are heavy in the Fullerton Ford OC family. Our owner Abraham Razick, tragically passed away yesterday. He was a loving husband, father, brother, and proud United States Marine,' the posts read.

'His spirit and passion for life will not be forgotten along with his commitment to making his community a better place. Honor, courage, and commitment are values he learned serving in the Marine Corps and values he lived by everyday.

'Rest easy, Abe. You'll forever be in our hearts. Semper Fi, Marine.'

Continued
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:08:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Bet its going to be a CFIT
View Quote

#2 leading cause of fatalities in GA.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or, possibly, quite the opposite.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#32]
I remember one time in the sim when doing a low non precision approach.  I busted out and spotted the runway but was way off centerline and started to turn towards it.  My sim partner said "this is exactly what it looks like just before you die"  "go around I said.  That has always stuck with me and served me well.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's not real in commercial aviation. Doubly so in 135 or professional 91.

As an instructor, you drum into studs "how does every instrument approach terminate?"

The correct answer is "a missed approach." The crew determines the conditions of a safe landing. ATC/CTAF is there to assist in traffic flow and separation.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Most insurance companies will give a big “fuck you” to that
View Quote

As they should, but certainly not common where I was at when I was doing lots of light jet and turboprop stuff.

Throw in 135, and the FSDO might make you choose between single pilot or crew for all operations in that type. Multiple FSDOs have held that single pilot 135 approval in a type of aircraft means no one can occupy the the other seat. Others have allowed for a mild deviation in that regard. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can only answer for myself, but in my case, it was the exact opposite.

I found caution with experience and age.

The things I did as a 25 year old Eagle Driver...........
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That being said I know of a high time delta pilot that landed well below mins on a gps approach cause he needed to get home.  People do stupid shit.
View Quote

In a Delta jet or his own aircraft?

I have never heard of that in the airline.

I did it twice in the military as the only other option besides ejecting.
But military flying is different, sometimes circumstances you have no control over, puts you in a situation with very limited options and you do what you have to do.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was previously named "McCarran Airport" after an ardent anti-communist Senator from the 30s-50s who was a staunch opponent of Roosevelt's New Deal so of course they had to cancel his ass and replace him with Harry Reid.

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not the first time a pilot got a case of get thereitis in the soup.

I heard the offer to divert from the tower to this pilot.  He decided to continue his approach into the small airport rather than the properly equipped and less socked in airport.

Not long after I was forwarded a text from a passenger that I know on it.  He was sitting in the right seat for the ride.  His head went into the panel and cut him up pretty good.  He described what he saw and heard.  The annunciator was barking "too low. Terrain" over and over until the yoke holder quipped "shut the fuck up" and muted it.  Then he saw the field come into the window at almost the same instant as the plane hit the field.  Luckily noone was killed.

https://live.staticflickr.com/5665/30384817304_49cf49e1d4_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/5679/30400552664_2d79ecea04_b.jpg
Missed it by that much...  1/4 mile short.  

The pilot was very experienced too.  He knew better.
View Quote

Good grief...  

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#40]
"GLIDESLOPE!"
"GLIDESLOPE!"
"GLIDESLOPE!"
"MINIMUMS!"
"MINIMUMS!"
"MINIMUMS!"
"TERRAIN!"
"TERRAIN!"
"TERRAIN!"
"PULL UP WOOP-WOOP!"
"PULL UP WOOP-WOOP!"
"PULL....."

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It was previously named "McCarran Airport" after an ardent anti-communist Senator from the 30s-50s who was a staunch opponent of Roosevelt's New Deal so of course they had to cancel his ass and replace him with Harry Reid.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So vis below minimums for the RNAV... Wonder what the AWOS said, and if the AWOS said below min for the approach, why did he even try to get in there instead of just going to his alternate?
View Quote

Because Get-there-itis is a thing.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Dude only got his instrument rating in 2019.  He had no business in that plane.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Dude only got his instrument rating in 2019.  He had no business in that plane.
View Quote

The FAA said he was fine..... but see the note

Certificate: COMMERCIAL PILOT  
Date of Issue: 4/10/2023

Ratings:
COMMERCIAL PILOT
 AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
 AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND
 INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

Type Ratings:
C/CE-500

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.
CE-500 SECOND IN COMMAND REQUIRED.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ratings:
COMMERCIAL PILOT
 INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

Type Ratings:
C/CE-500

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.
View Quote

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ratings:
COMMERCIAL PILOT
 INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

Type Ratings:
C/CE-500

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#47]
A lot of young people on his flight. Too soon.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.
View Quote

Could he though?? Read the last line.

Needed a Second In Command. Who is that supposed to be?

It sure wasn't the dealership owner-

IBRAHEM H RAZICK

Airman opted-out of releasing address
Medical Information:
No Medical Information Available
Certificates
STUDENT PILOT

Certificates Description
Certificate: STUDENT PILOT  
Date of Issue: 4/21/2023

Limits:
CARRYING PASSENGERS IS PROHIBITED.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Uh oh
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#50]
That first paying pilot job is always the most dangerous. My first job was flying banners in Myrtle Beach, had several close calls and a brush with death, it's the nature of that business. My second job was flying cargo...err checks. It was my first 135 gig. My boss told me on day one that turning down a flight was not an option, I had to go no matter what. I flew thru my first thunderstorm, single pilot on that job. Scared the shit outa' me. It's easy to get sucked in when your livelihood depends on it and the boss is counting on you. Luckily I survived with no incidents, accidents or infractions.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top