Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Oregon switched to a 10 digit right after I moved here.  Took some time getting used to.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#2]
We're finally getting an overlay AC the end of this month. The whole state has been 304 since the beginning, but we'll soon have 681 for new numbers.

I'm used to dialing 10 after living in the Detroit area for quite a while. We went from 313 to 313/810/248/586/734 in a short time, starting back in '93. And I remember when Southern California was just 213 and 714.

I have a hunch people down here will have a hard time adjusting, with plenty of letters to the editor and general griping.

10 digit has been working for a while though, ever since I moved here a year and a half ago.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Haha, I just got completely lost reading that.

Do you mean hard as in having 7d across multiple NPA's? OK, perhaps "hard" was the wrong worng. I should have said "time consuming" because you have to data fill everything one at a time instead of ranging it out.

Much easier to build your routing table as

0-9 local, variable for 7d (Add NPA to ANY incoming nxx)

001 intl

12-19 ld

And then optionally break out any other NPA's you can call local to...

608 - NPA with local calling

If you set up 7d to multiple npas then you have to manually break out each nxx...

123 - add NPA A

124 - add NPA B

125 - add NPA A

Unless you have ranges...

100-125 - add NPA A

But either way, its still a lot of additional datafill you have to do in your table. Rather then setting up 0-9 to add your home npa, then break out 1+, intl and any other NPA you can call locally. And of course operator and N11 shit. Then again it would also have to take into account where you do your local call screening. In our case we actually screen in another table, so just because (In the above example) we have the whole of 608 set as local if we dont find 608-nxx in our local screening table it will kill it.

Hard to say "You should do this" as unfortunately every switch has its own little personality to making things go ring ring ring.
Or alternatively, you could just do like my ILEC did and say "Fuck it, you're dialing 10 digits". I just do the digit manipulation on my end, in my switch. They get their 10 digits, and I get to remember what gets 1+, etc ONCE (when I write the patterns). After that, ignorance is bliss until I use somebody else's phone.

I'm not real hip on provider switches, so my way of doing it (on commercial switches) is probably much different, conceptually.

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha, I just got completely lost reading that.

Do you mean hard as in having 7d across multiple NPA's? OK, perhaps "hard" was the wrong worng. I should have said "time consuming" because you have to data fill everything one at a time instead of ranging it out.

Much easier to build your routing table as
0-9 local, variable for 7d (Add NPA to ANY incoming nxx)
001 intl
12-19 ld
And then optionally break out any other NPA's you can call local to...
608 - NPA with local calling

If you set up 7d to multiple npas then you have to manually break out each nxx...
123 - add NPA A
124 - add NPA B
125 - add NPA A

Unless you have ranges...
100-125 - add NPA A

But either way, its still a lot of additional datafill you have to do in your table. Rather then setting up 0-9 to add your home npa, then break out 1+, intl and any other NPA you can call locally. And of course operator and N11 shit. Then again it would also have to take into account where you do your local call screening. In our case we actually screen in another table, so just because (In the above example) we have the whole of 608 set as local if we dont find 608-nxx in our local screening table it will kill it.

Hard to say "You should do this" as unfortunately every switch has its own little personality to making things go ring ring ring.
Or alternatively, you could just do like my ILEC did and say "Fuck it, you're dialing 10 digits". I just do the digit manipulation on my end, in my switch. They get their 10 digits, and I get to remember what gets 1+, etc ONCE (when I write the patterns). After that, ignorance is bliss until I use somebody else's phone.

I'm not real hip on provider switches, so my way of doing it (on commercial switches) is probably much different, conceptually.

Man I wish I could just set everything to 10d. That would be nice. Not my call. Then again, I'm off to a new job in 3 weeks so it aint gonna be my problem.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Shut the fuck up Donnie!  You're out of your element!!

RF
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was a kid, before everyone in the world had a cell phone, we could dial locally with only 5 digits (we had two local exchanges, 885 and 886, so we could abbreviate, dialing like this; 5-0-3-5-4 for 885-0354.

What really chaps my ass is the recording the phone company uses if you misdial, explaining that I have to dial MORE numbers "for my convenience"!!  

How stupid is that?? I gotta dial TEN instead of 5 or 7 numbers and that is somehow MORE convenient for ME??? These same morons that run the phone company obviously voted for BHO, if that is an example of their minds (such as they are ) at work!
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#7]
There's barely any damn people here yet I have to dial 10 digits no matter what or I get some annoying lady saying "You gotta dial the area code too even though you're still in the same area code. Oh, also I'm a bitch."

Pisses me off.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top