Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/9/2022 10:14:28 AM EDT
Researchers Find Massive Anti-Russian ‘Bot Army’

Disinformation Blitz Krieg

The Adelaide University researchers unearthed a massive organised pro-Ukraine influence operation underway from the early stages of the conflict. Overall, the study found automated “bot” accounts to be the source of between 60 to 80 percent of all tweets in the dataset.
View Quote

And the bots are still out there:

The fake tweets and automated bot accounts had not been detected and removed by Twitter before being analysed by the researchers, although some were possibly removed in Twitter’s March sweep.

Watt told Declassified Australia that in fact many of the bot accounts behind the 5 million tweets studied are likely to be still up and running.

Declassified Australia contacted Twitter to ask what action they may have taken to remove the fake bot accounts identified in the University of Adelaide research. They had not responded by the time of going to press.
View Quote

As Alex Jones says, their is an information war and that war is for YOUR MIND:

Critical Tool in Info War

This new research paper confirms mounting fears that social media has covertly become what the researchers call “a critical tool in information warfare playing a large role in the Russian invasion of Ukraine.”

The Adelaide University researchers tried their best to be noncommittal in describing the activities of the fake Twitter accounts, although they had found the vast majority – over 90 percent – were anti-Russian messages.
View Quote

What are they pushing:

They found the two main participating sides in the propaganda war have their own particular goals and style. “Russian social media pushes narratives around their motivation, and Ukrainian social media aims to foster and maintain external support from Western countries, as well as promote their military efforts while undermining the perception of the Russian military.”
View Quote

Yes, they want YOUR money

Did it work?

The research shows that fake automated social media “bot” accounts do manipulate public opinion by shaping the discourse, sometimes in very specific ways. The results provide a chilling indication of the very real malign effects that mass social media disinformation campaigns can have on an innocent civilian population.
View Quote

Download the paper
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Can look a lot closer to home to see the same thing in action
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can look a lot closer to home to see the same thing in action
View Quote

FPNI.  In before the usual suspects.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh boy

This is going to rustle some jimmies
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#4]
If cringe memes moved the needle at all the war would have been won five times over by now.

Also, IN before Ukraine thread sheriffs arrive.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quite a few members here support Ukraine with a seemingly rabid fervor.

If we were still in the ‘80s I’d be right there with them.

We’re not in the ‘80s, but we are in “The Great Reset”.  <——- THIS IS REAL

Klause Schwab
George Soros
The World Economic Forum
Plus lots of other bad actors
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All support Ukraine for a reason that has nothing to do with defending freedom and democracy.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#6]
lol People don't think Cyber warfare be like it is, but it do. You can't openly spend the amount of money we're gonna spend in this war and not try to influence public opinion of your citizens in order for them to support giving that much money.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Ukr is just a huge money laundering operation.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#8]
As Alex Jones says, their is an information war and that war is for YOUR MIND:
View Quote

pre-"information war" my mind was made up.

Kill bloody Russians.

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#9]
...pretty sure much of muh russian bots are Uke as well
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#10]
The paper clearly demonstrates that the much hyped "russian online disinfo" is actually a paper tiger.

However the massive army of Ukraine-bro bots demonstrate major preparation in advance for the War in Ukraine in the US.

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It is only just getting started:

World Bank: Ukraine Recovery and Reconstruction Needs Estimated $349 Billion!!!

This figure is expected to grow in the coming months as the war continues.

Pretty soon it will add up to real money!
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It is only just getting started:

World Bank: Ukraine Recovery and Reconstruction Needs Estimated $349 Billion!!!

Pretty soon it will add up to real money!
View Quote

Cloward Piven destroy the economy while Gramsci marches through the institutions...
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Lol, this research is just a comparison of two hashtags: #IStandWithPutin vs #IStandWithUkraine. Bots or no bots, there's no conceivable way that a majority of the world would tweet in support of Putin vs the country he invaded, lol.

With that said, I want to give the Putinheads some space and offer my congratulations. This analysis of twitter hash tags seems like a big deal for you guys, so please enjoy this victory lap during this anti-Ukraine crusade. I know that articles from off-brand no-name news sources like, umm, Consortium News, means a lot to you all. Congrats again! Now, back to the real world...
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lol, this research is just a comparison of two hashtags: #IStandWithPutin vs #IStandWithUkraine. Bots or no bots, there's no conceivable way that a majority of the world would tweet in support of Putin vs the country he invaded, lol.

With that said, I want to give the Putinheads some space and offer my congratulations. This analysis of twitter hash tags seems like a big deal for you guys, so please enjoy this victory lap during this anti-Ukraine crusade. I know that articles from off-brand no-name news sources like, umm, Consortium News, means a lot to you all. Congrats again! Now, back to the real world...
View Quote

Thanks for joining the conversation.  Perhaps you could tell us how many Ukraine-bros are paid shills?  I don't have access to that kind of information.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Did I make it in before FS argues with everyone?
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Any one here actually effected or influenced by anything they see on twitter???

To me, twitter is too look at shout outs from a few actors and musicians I like, look at announcements from makers of products I like and maybe look at Thirst traps (boobie pics) from chicks that are trying to lure you to OF too look at their buthole for like 4.99 a month or whatever they charge.

You could wipe all of twitters servers and unplug the whole network and I'd be like "Oh Damn, Wow someone did it, Oh well...

I'll admidt to being the odd one here, as I'd be a bit more effected if someone shut down FB as I use it keep in contact with a lot of Shooters, Family, old friends that have moved, peeps I went to school with, used to work with and mostly FB groups about Hobby topics like Shooting, Custom C10 Trucks, suspensions, Car Audio and shit like that... I would miss the groups I'm in more than anything else on FB.

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did I make it in before FS argues with everyone?
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks for joining the conversation.  Perhaps you could tell us how many Ukraine-bros are paid shills?  I don't have access to that kind of information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fundraising is both an art and a science. I'm praying that Ukraine's team's methods result in more money received than spent, while also maintaining the high level of goodwill. One problem with this is that you're potentially giving ammo to the Pro Putin Uneducateds / Code Pink cohort. So the strategy must be to ensure their relevance stays small. But to be fair, these weirdos are doing a good job of alienating themselves from the rest of polite society already
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

To me, twitter is too look at shout outs from a few actors and musicians I like, look at announcements from makers of products I like and maybe look at Thirst traps (boobie pics) from chicks that are trying to lure you to OF too look at their buthole for like 4.99 a month or whatever they charge.

You could wipe all of twitters servers and unplug the whole network and I'd be like "Oh Damn, Wow someone did it, Oh well...

I'll admidt to being the odd one here, as I'd be a bit more effected if someone shut down FB as I use it keep in contact with a lot of Shooters, Family, old friends that have moved, peeps I went to school with, used to work with and mostly FB groups about Hobby topics like Shooting, Custom C10 Trucks, suspensions, Car Audio and shit like that... I would miss the groups I'm in more than anything else on FB.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoting from the academic paper:

We find that bot activity drives an increase in conversations surrounding angst (with p = 2.450 x 1e-4) as well as those surrounding work/governance (with p = 3.803 x 1e-18). Bot activity also shows a significant relationship with non-bot sentiment (with p = 3.76 x 1e-4), where we find the relationship holds in both directions. This work extends and combines existing techniques to quantify how bots are influencing people in the online conversation around the Russia/Ukraine invasion. It opens up avenues for researchers to understand quantitatively how these malicious campaigns operate, and what makes them impactful.

So yes, yes it did have an effect on Twitter.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Didnt know I was a bot

huh? Now I have to rethink my existance!
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What are they pushing:

They found the two main participating sides in the propaganda war have their own particular goals and style. “Russian social media pushes narratives around their motivation, and Ukrainian social media aims to foster and maintain external support from Western countries, as well as promote their military efforts while undermining the perception of the Russian military.”
View Quote

View Quote

To be fair, the only ones undermining the perception of the Russian military.. is the Russian military
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#22]
cool story, (Removed, CoC-6 ~guns762)

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Didnt know I was a bot

View Quote

Article says 70% were bots.  You may fall in the 30% mouthbreather category.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didnt know I was a bot

Precisely.  70% bots, 30% live people (some paid, others were just useful)
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#25]
And who would do such a thing?

Persuading public influence to justify support for a corrupt country.

Support that comes in the form of billions of dollars. Support that doesn't really make sense.

Unless that money wasn't truly sent just for that country's "support", but instead for that country's silence on certain matters.

Who would do such a thing?

I'll give you one guess who requested those bots.....

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Didnt know I was a bot

View Quote

Math. How does it work?
or
People don’t think statistics be like it is, but it do
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And who would do such a thing?

Persuading public influence to justify support for a corrupt country.

Support that comes in the form of billions of dollars. Support that doesn't really make sense.

Unless that money wasn't truly sent just for that country's "support", but instead for that country's silence on certain matters.

Who would do such a thing?

I'll give you one guess who requested those bots.....

View Quote

PUTIN!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Who did it?  Who is the target?

Origins of Twitter Bot Accounts

The researchers report that the overwhelming level of Twitter disinformation that was anti-Russian was from bots “likely [organised] by pro-Ukrainian authorities.”

The researchers asserted no further findings about the origin of the 5 million tweets, but did find that some bots “are pushing campaigns specific to certain countries [unnamed], and hence sharing content aligned with those timezones.” The data does show that the peak time for a selection of pro-Ukrainian bot activity occurred between 6pm and 9pm across U.S. time zones.

Some indication of the origin and the targeting of the messages could be deduced from the specific languages used in the 5 million tweets. Over 3.5 million tweets, or 67 percent, were in the English language, with fewer that 2 percent in Russian and Ukrainian.

In May 2022, the National Security Agency (NSA) director and U.S. cyber command chief, General Paul Nakasone, revealed that the Cyber Command had been conducting offensive Information Operations in support of Ukraine.

“We’ve conducted a series of operations across the full spectrum: offensive, defensive, [and] information operations,” Nakasone said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Got plenty here on arf.

Should be like Musk and purge them.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#30]
What has been achieved?

“The Russian invasion of Ukraine continues to exact a terrible toll, from significant civilian casualties and the displacement of millions of people to the widespread destruction of homes, businesses, social institutions, and economic activity,” said Anna Bjerde, World Bank Regional Vice President for Europe and Central Asia. “The Government of Ukraine now faces the difficult task of balancing recovery with the country’s immediate needs, including core public services such as health, education and social protection, which are critical to preventing further deterioration in living conditions and poverty in Ukraine.
View Quote

World Bank

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#31]
The current administration, and the puppeteers pulling the pedophile's strings, is a vastly greater global risk than Putin.

Fight me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#32]
What is the long term plan?

Plan to Break Up Russia

“Cheney ‘wanted to see the dismantlement not only of the Soviet Union and the Russian empire but of Russia itself, so it could never again be a threat to the rest of the world.’...The West must complete the project that began in 1991 …. Until Moscow’s empire is toppled, though, the region—and the world—will not be safe…” (“Decolonize Russia”, The Atlantic)
View Quote

US foreign policy is now exclusively in the hands of a small group of neocon extremists who reject diplomacy outright and who genuinely believe that America’s strategic interests can only be achieved through a military conflict with Russia. That said, we can say with some degree of certainty, that things are going to get alot worse before they get better.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Lol the actual paper is cancer.

From the study:  ". To measure bot activity, we classify a random sample of 26.5% of
accounts which posted at least one English language Tweet in the dataset using Botometer"

Botometer has an incredibly heavy skew to flagging any post with foreign language as bots if they post in lets say Ukranian and not English:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7580919/#:~:text=We%20further%20show%20in%20an,humans%20being%20classified%20as%20bots).

Also from the study:
"We found that 90.16% of accounts fell into the ‘ProUkraine’ category, while only 6.80% fell into the
‘ProRussia’ category. The balanced category contained 3.04% of accounts, showing that accounts exhibiting mixed behaviour are present in the dataset.

The whole study falls apart because Russians used English language only dedicated bots.

"We use Botometer [41] to quantify the extent of bot activity in the dataset by assigning scores to a random
sample of accounts. Note that we used Botometer’s ‘English’ scores throughout this paper – these scores
utilise both language dependent and language independent features during classification [41]. Botometer
provides an ‘overall’ bot score, referred to as the complete automation probability (CAP) and scores
corresponding to six distinct sub-types: AstroTurf, Fake Follower, Financial, Self Declared, Spammer and
Other."

"The rate limits allowed us to randomly sample 26.5% of unique accounts in our dataset which posted at
least one English Tweet. This random sample leads to an approximately uniform frequency of Tweets
from accounts with Botometer labels across the time frame we considered."

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The paper clearly demonstrates that the much hyped "russian online disinfo" is actually a paper tiger.

View Quote

Well that's a lie. To quote, "Pro-Russian non-bot accounts are most influential overall, with information flows to a variety of other account groups."
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

We're all affected by things we see in social media, especially twitter. Whether we like to admit it or not. Lots of arfcommer's opinions changed during the Floyd riots because of what was being pumped out on twitter.

There's a reason leftists are making huge noise in Musk's acquisition of twitter. It's not because they hate him, hell they loved him months back. It's because he now controls one very important tool in their arsenal.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Please tag me next time so I can address your concerns more quickly.

Beep boop beep boop whirrrrr
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#38]
I've never looked at a single tweet that has #IstandwithUkraine and I've never had a conversation about it on twitter. What does that make me? 70-80% of twitter is bots independent of what the topic is. If bots are arguing with other bots and there's some collateral non-bot discussion, does it actually make any difference? It's like people swaying opinion in the state or local subreddits. It's an echo chamber that doesn't actually affect anything. I'm against the genocide that the Russians are trying to perpetrate in Ukraine and I didn't come to that opinion because of a bot army.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Ukraine bots are probably contracted out CIA/NSA bots.  With Elon taking over twitter maybe we'll get a glimpse of how much cooperation was going on.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well that's a lie. To quote, "Pro-Russian non-bot accounts are most influential overall, with information flows to a variety of other account groups."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it is true:
In fact, it was like someone had flicked a switch at the start of the war as pro-Ukraine bot activity suddenly burst into life. In that first day of the war the #IStandWithUkraine hashtag was used in as many as 38,000 tweets each hour, rising to 50,000 tweets an hour by day three of the war.

By comparison, the data shows that in the first week there was an almost total absence of pro-Russian bot activity using the key hashtags. During that first week of the invasion, pro-Russian bots were sending off tweets using the #IStandWithPutin or #IStandWithRussia hashtags at a rate of only several hundred per hour.

The reaction against these pro-Russian accounts had been swift. On March 5, after the #IStandWithPutin hashtag had trended on Twitter, the company announced it had banned over 100 accounts using the hashtag for violating its “platform manipulation and spam policy” and participating in “coordinated inauthentic behaviour.”

Later that month, the Ukraine Security Service (SBU) reportedly raided five “bot farms”’ operating inside the country. The Russia-linked bot operators were reportedly operating through 100,000 fake social media accounts spreading disinformation that was “intended to inspire panic among Ukrainian masses.”

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Didnt know I was a bot

View Quote
Within cells interlink.
Blade Runner 2049 - Second Baseline Test Scene [HD]
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#42]
In the game of BattleBots, Ukraine-bro bots beat Russian bots:

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Ukraine bots are probably contracted out CIA/NSA bots.  With Elon taking over twitter maybe we'll get a glimpse of how much cooperation was going on.
View Quote

IDK about CIA or NSA, but I do eat at the DFAC.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Fuck the Ukraine right their blue and yellow buttholes. When's biden dropping another 3/4 billion off over there?
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

From the study:  ". To measure bot activity, we classify a random sample of 26.5% of
accounts which posted at least one English language Tweet in the dataset using Botometer"

Botometer has an incredibly heavy skew to flagging any post with foreign language as bots if they post in lets say Ukranian and not English:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7580919/#:~:text=We%20further%20show%20in%20an,humans%20being%20classified%20as%20bots).

Also from the study:
"We found that 90.16% of accounts fell into the ‘ProUkraine’ category, while only 6.80% fell into the
‘ProRussia’ category. The balanced category contained 3.04% of accounts, showing that accounts exhibiting mixed behaviour are present in the dataset.

The whole study falls apart because Russians used English language only dedicated bots.

"We use Botometer [41] to quantify the extent of bot activity in the dataset by assigning scores to a random
sample of accounts. Note that we used Botometer’s ‘English’ scores throughout this paper – these scores
utilise both language dependent and language independent features during classification [41]. Botometer
provides an ‘overall’ bot score, referred to as the complete automation probability (CAP) and scores
corresponding to six distinct sub-types: AstroTurf, Fake Follower, Financial, Self Declared, Spammer and
Other."

"The rate limits allowed us to randomly sample 26.5% of unique accounts in our dataset which posted at
least one English Tweet. This random sample leads to an approximately uniform frequency of Tweets

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Also from the study:

Other."

No.  

Although the exact origin of self-declared accounts is unknown, it is worth noting that we considered predominately English
accounts.
It is therefore more likely that the intention of these accounts was to drive more disruption in
English-speaking countries

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Actually it is true:

View Quote

I note that you're quoting the article, not the paper. Could that be because the paper doesn't support your conclusion?

"Significant flows out of ‘ProRussia NotBot’ accounts indicate that information flows from these accounts to other groups, most commonly groups with a balanced or ‘ProUkraine’ lean. Most intergroup flows for groups with a ‘ProUkraine’ lean are to other groups with ‘ProUkraine’ lean, with no significant flows from ‘ProUkraine’ account groups to ‘ProRussia’ account groups."

In other words within the (very limited) source data for their study, pro-Russian propagandists were the most effective at spreading their message to outside groups (like Russian_Shills here on Arfcom).
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
cool story, Russian_Shill

View Quote

How's that "In Just Three Days  We Parade Through Kiev" masterplan working out?

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm not convinced that bot armies actually influence public opinion, so I'm also not convinced that that's their purpose.

They do seem to successfully make it harder to effectively gauge public opinion, and to monitor who thinks what.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top