BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They had that problem a lot.  Most of their battle planning, besides being hideously overcomplicated with separate fleets unable to support each other, was predicated on us doing exactly what they expected/wanted us to do.  That tends to not go well.
View Quote
We were reading and decrypting their radio transmissions, which further screwed up their plans.
We also intercepted their plans for Yamamoto's visit to the troops and shot down his plane.

Interesting read if you're into cloak and dagger stuff.

ETA: Happy birthday, LP!
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Japan was the only major power that went to war with limited goals in mind.  They knew of our building plans- build to Washington and London Treaty limits and replace overage ships in 1938, exceed limits in 1939, Two Ocean Navy in 1940.  Page one of BuShips report the week before PH shows what capital ships were in the building pipeline.  Remember, the first BBs since WWI had been commissioned in the Atlantic that Summer, but were undergoing a painfully slow workup program and unavailable to ADM Kimmel, who begged for them and the return of Yorktown.  Building times dropped dramatically 6 months after PH, and many additional ships funded.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/370939/Screenshot_20191207-201702_Gallery_jpg-1187194.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unjustified....

We were pushing them into an economic corner that the either had to loose face according to their culture or fight. They took what was to their  belief system the more honorable choice.
Unjustified by our standards

I love that we don't play by the same set of rules that the rest of the world does

Strategically though it was really stupid idea.

Oh hey guys let's declare war on some of the most powerful Nations on Earth!

I would have just stayed in my little corner, I would have put a lot of effort on turning coal into liquid fuel, that could have helped alleviate the oil embargo to some degree at least for the military, would have taken years to get that off the ground though, there is a shit ton of coal in Manchuria and Korea.
If they had gotten the carriers it would've been a really great idea. Why weren't the carriers in port ?

They were well underway to building a blue water Navy and 1st nation air force. You can't run it on coal.

After being told to basically fuck off after WW 1 they were already in a bad mood. The embargoes just capped it off.
Japan was the only major power that went to war with limited goals in mind.  They knew of our building plans- build to Washington and London Treaty limits and replace overage ships in 1938, exceed limits in 1939, Two Ocean Navy in 1940.  Page one of BuShips report the week before PH shows what capital ships were in the building pipeline.  Remember, the first BBs since WWI had been commissioned in the Atlantic that Summer, but were undergoing a painfully slow workup program and unavailable to ADM Kimmel, who begged for them and the return of Yorktown.  Building times dropped dramatically 6 months after PH, and many additional ships funded.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/370939/Screenshot_20191207-201702_Gallery_jpg-1187194.JPG
As you mention, building times dropped dramatically 6 months AFTER PH. In those 6 months the battles of Coral Sea & Midway occurred. If we didn't have our carriers to blunt their moves New Guinea and Australia are no longer viable to us. With those impressive gains and no real way to protect Hawaii or project power from western Pacific ports, how would that have changed the Japanese mindset of only achieving limited goals ? Would they have moved on Hawaii, The Aluetians..... ?
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#3]
How the USA has changed.   We can talk about the Japs attacking us @ Pearl Harbor but we are shamed into silence in talking about Muslims who attacked us on 9/11.  Sad times in the USofA.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Despite a surprise attack, a lot of heroes were made that day. From Wikipedia:

In the wake of the attack, 15 Medals of Honor, 51 Navy Crosses, 53 Silver Stars, four Navy and Marine Corps Medals, one Distinguished Flying Cross, four Distinguished Service Crosses, one Distinguished Service Medal, and three Bronze Star Medals were awarded to the American servicemen who distinguished themselves in combat at Pearl Harbor.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two daughters born on this date, one year apart. Happy birthday LP.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So acquiescing to our demands regarding their invasion and treatment of Manchuria so that an relaxation of the embargo would not be looked at as weakness on their behalf ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unjustified....

We were pushing them into an economic corner that the either had to loose face according to their culture or fight. They took what was to their  belief system the more honorable choice.
That is complete bullshit. We went over this a couple of weeks ago.
So acquiescing to our demands regarding their invasion and treatment of Manchuria so that an relaxation of the embargo would not be looked at as weakness on their behalf ?
Already done. Not doing it again.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/My-Midway-Movie-review/5-2272265/
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Made me sick to see all the flags at full staff, instead of half...

The damnable thing is that I’d wager most don’t even know what it is... my 8-year old daughter asked me what Pearl Harbor was today.. I responded “it was an attack on a naval base in Hawaii.”

Her response was “I don’t want to go there”.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Our carriers are what held them off at Coral Sea and allowed the victory at Midway which turned the tide in the Pacific. It would have greatly lengthened the time, material and lives lost to recaptured and beat Japan if the carriers were sunk at Pearl. I doubt if you could find anyone that fought in that war or their commanding officers that would agree to your 10% of our strength claim.
View Quote
So starting a war that gets your race and country wiped off the map in 10 years instead of 3.5 becomes a good idea? What kind of logic is that? Who thinks that?

Europe first was official US policy, and it pissed MacArthur and the Navy off. Whether that was 5-20%, no one will ever know, but the vast majority of the Army was in Europe.

And once you factor in atomic bombs, which would have been developed no mater the results of PH, the claim that any attack on the Us by Japan would have been a really good idea becomes totally ridiculous.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top