Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Never thought I'd say this,  but DG sounds like a good candidate for a union.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:25:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have literally never set foot in one and I never plan to.

Doesn't affect me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been hearing of Dollar General Stores closing and having staffing issues.

Makes me smile a bit.  When I was younger I worked in simular type stores.  Over worked, under paid, and treated like crap. I heard more then one from owners and managers that if I didn't the job to just quit. I guess the employees at that Dollar General did. Good for them

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13188365/wisconsin-dollar-general-shut-staff-quits.html

General chaos! Wisconsin Dollar General store shuts down after its ENTIRE workforce QUITS at the same time due to being forced to work seven days per week

Six staff members, including manager Trina Tribolet, quit their job at a Wisconsin Dollar General store due to being underpaid and overworked
   Tribolet also said that the company's food donation policy was also one of the reasons the entire staff decided to resign
   In a statement released after the walkout, the company confirmed that the store had been closed for three hours on March 9 due to the walkout

A Dollar General store in Wisconsin had been forced to remain closed after its entire staff resigned due to being underpaid and overworked.

Six staff members, including manager Trina Tribolet, at the Mineral Point store did not show up to open doors on March 9 and instead left a handmade sign saying they quit the night before.

Doesn't affect me.

Thank you for sharing this with us.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:44:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Our local DG has shut down randomly many times because of lack of staff.

Can't say I blame them. Seems like a terrible place to work.
View Quote

We have 2 stores in town, one is a DG Market.
The small one reduced their hours and is closed half the time due to lack of staff.
The market store went through a big revamp a couple of years ago and put in 4 self checkout stations and cut staff. Now the place is falling apart, the self checkouts are always broke down and the employee attitude is broken to the point that it seems like they can't hire anybody to work at that store anymore. I went in there Monday afternoon and there was one manager working the till, she was the only employees in the store. I asked her what was up with the situation and she said everybody quit and was waiting for school to get out so a couple of part timers could come to work.

DG is on a downhill slide and will turn in to another Kmart story before too long.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Retail managers are usually expected to fill in for absent employees, probably on salary so no extra pay. Manager of the store in OP get fed up with the BS.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Trina was mentioned twice.

They took it hard that she quit.

They coulda' made it if Trina woulda' stayed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:01:55 AM EDT
[#8]
We have them littered about here in W. Colo, but none close enough to be useful, when I had a Safeway 2 miles away.
Then 5 years ago the Safeway closed and has sat vacant till we got the dollar general/family dollar recently .  Yes, both stores under one roof, they say it’s the only one in the US.
Pretty weird layout, half the store DG, half FD.  Like right down the middle is a county line and the same cheap stuff on both sides.
Always seems like more employees than customers, they have little dog squeak toys at the checkout that say “squeeze me for service”.

I don’t think they’ll make it in this neighborhood.  I bought out here 25 years ago, it was much more affordable then, like everywhere, but still kind of a snobby area.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I was in a DG yesterday.  Customer in front of me didn't have enough money to pay.   Cashier took money out of her pocket to make up the difference.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Seems like it would make more sense to limit the store hours and shut down on Sundays if you can't find enough staffing to operate 7 days a week.
View Quote

Fuk the mule!  Load the wagon!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Retail managers are usually expected to fill in for absent employees, probably on salary so no extra pay. Manager of the store in OP get fed up with the BS.
View Quote

Lol

One of our investigators, a recently retired DEA/SA resigned to take a "Chief of Security" job with one of the nation wide security guard companies.  We wished him well in his new endeavor

He came back to work for us less than a month later. He's said he had worked almost 30 hours straight,  because he was salaried and he was expected to cover any shifts that were missed at his post

In his defense,  he was a good investigator for us
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#12]
A month from now the people that quit will  be bitching there's no place to buy stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#13]
There is a DG here that basically takes a full time deputy to staff.  The parking lot is a drug den and illegal swap meet, they traffic and sell drugs there, and there is every other sort of crime taking place either inside or out.  You wouldn't believe the number and variety of calls out there.

I've unfortunately had to go in there twice, and it was exactly as they're being described here.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:23:26 AM EDT
[#14]
One is our town is always fairly busy with customers,  but rarely more than a couple of half-interested employees.   The model works, I need them to take my money, not give me wine recommendations.

I always figured the back room was kinda like Trailer Park Boys and this is probably how Trina did it.

Half Baked: Scarface quits his job
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The one closest to me runs with one person working regularly. Not safe at all boxes stacked everywhere because they have no one to stock shelves.
View Quote
One close to me got shut down by the city due to unsafe aisles from boxes stacked up. Honestly, I saw the pics, it was one of those times when the gov needed to step in
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Seems like it would make more sense to limit the store hours and shut down on Sundays if you can't find enough staffing to operate 7 days a week.
View Quote

And get called Hate Dollar?  No way.

Or Dollar Hate?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lol

One of our investigators, a recently retired DEA/SA resigned to take a "Chief of Security" job with one of the nation wide security guard companies.  We wished him well in his new endeavor

He came back to work for us less than a month later. He's said he had worked almost 30 hours straight,  because he was salaried and he was expected to cover any shifts that were missed at his post

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

It would be interesting, when a job interview gets to the point where the interviewer asks "any questions?" to ask, "why did the previous person in this position leave?". The brief silence and the look on the interviewer's face while they thought up some BS answer would possibly be telling.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quit your complaining. There will be a new Spanish speaking crew hired shortly at half those wages. They will have free access to bit coin atm’s in the store to send money back home.

Joe saw this coming and he has your back.

His lesson in economics will keep people frozen in place because cheap labor is just waiting to take their place.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I live in the sticks...there is a DG in a tiny hamlet that might have a population of 500. Surrounded by other little towns of 500... It's the best, clean, friendly, the staff is happy, the place is always busy.

There are othe DGs in the area, in more populated places, they are shit.  Messy, constant turn over...

Those stores pop up like mushrooms, they are everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#20]
A bunch of DG stores (like 500) closed yesterday due to profitability problems in a top down move.

I would expect that with one employee working in most of them that the loss due to theft causes more of the profit problems than paying the employees a bit more would.

That's a small town in WI. They very easily could pick the creame of the crop of retail employees by paying a decent wage there. There just aren't a lot of other jobs for them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#21]
The Dollar General close to me has a chronic staff shortage.  They are open odd hours, if at all, and nearly all of the aisles are cluttered up with inventory that hasn't been put away.  

A good video on this issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4QGOHahiVM&t=61s
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A bunch of DG stores (like 500) closed yesterday due to profitability problems in a top down move.

I would expect that with one employee working in most of them that the loss due to theft causes more of the profit problems than paying the employees a bit more would.

That's a small town in WI. They very easily could pick the creame of the crop of retail employees by paying a decent wage there. There just aren't a lot of other jobs for them.
View Quote

Family Dollar/Dollar Tree just announced they plan to close 1,000 stores over the next couple of years, with 600 of them happening in the first half of this year.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#23]
It happened here one time too.
They just locked the door and hauled ass. Lol
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Now they have the self checkout machine they usually have 2 people working the whole place with one just jumping back and forth to the front.  Fuck all that for just over minimum wage.
View Quote

This ,  had to go find one to check out .  Poor kid couldn't get his inventory stocked .
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Doesn't affect me.

View Quote

On the few occasions I want to get birthdayday cards, it's the place to go.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The ones in my town (4 of them) close early all the time because they don't have any staff yet they just built another one a few miles away in the next town.
View Quote

When it all comes crashing down maybe the govt. will find some use for all those stores in their convenient locations...
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Garbage stores.  People shop there because they think it's cheap but they are usually paying the highest per-unit price.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Screw giving the employer 2 weeks.
View Quote

seriously, do you think DG would give YOU 2 weeks notice

"I'll give you a bad reference.."

I wasn't planning on telling anyone I ever worked at a resume` stain like this place anyway
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here locally. Oddly enough they built a family dollar right next door now.

Local gas station where we have had a charge account for fuel for 30 years shut its doors last week. Best location in town in my opinion. Certainly will be in a few years when urban sprawl gets here. He brought our final fuel bill in Monday and I asked him why he shut it down and he said he was tired of dealing with employees. Based on who he's had working there I'd say he hasn't been paying them very well.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Seriously though, I know a neighbor lady who saw the local DG had a "Help Wanted" sign near the cash register. The place is kind of a local meeting place in a small community and she knew everyone anyway, so she dropped an application and hoped to pick up one or two days a week part time.

Their first question was could she lift 40 lbs by herself all day long and she said no. She's in her 50's and could stand at a cash register all day but DG insists that when the delivery truck comes it's all hands on deck to unload the truck and she couldn't do it

oh well, their loss
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Dollar Stores: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fuck the Dollar Store corporation!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNPJZEU8FoY
View Quote

This, seriously the way they treat their employees, they deserve 15 an hour
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#34]
We stopped by a DG once when we were on vacation to pick up some pool floats. Employee is standing outside the front door (around noon) and tells me “we closed. Nuh uh we closed”

At noon on a Tuesday? I reply

“Yeah we got robbed. Cops are on the way”

Guess we basically drove right past the getaway car as we pulled up because they had JUST left.

What a shithole
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My middle son worked at DG as his first real job. He despised the methed out mental patient customers and the crazy low wages. He went to work at Publix as a meat cutter soon after. His pay doubled and he really likes working there.
View Quote

We had a guy who used to work for us. Lived an hour away. He turned in his notice and hired on at Target. He said if you showed up on time when you were scheduled you were golden.

Maybe he's in Loss Prevention!

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Probably 40 years ago when our first son was born we needed extra "diaper" money.

I was already a fairly succesful industrial salesman, but I was trying hard to keep my wife from having to work. I took a job at a big box store just stocking shelves at night.

I took great pride in being a smart ass to all of the white trash "managers". Every night at some point I said "so fucking fire me".
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#37]
FJO but that was a good look at these stores.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We had a guy who used to work for us. Lived an hour away. He turned in his notice and hired on at Target. He said if you showed up on time when you were scheduled you were golden.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My middle son worked at DG as his first real job. He despised the methed out mental patient customers and the crazy low wages. He went to work at Publix as a meat cutter soon after. His pay doubled and he really likes working there.

I worked at a Dillards in the dock for a while as a second job.  I already had a "professional" job, but needed some extra income.

It was a surreal experience.

No one was really responsible for anything in their own mind.  Taking initiative for anything not explicitly assigned was never a thing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  I have literally never set foot in one and I never plan to.
Doesn't affect me.
View Quote

GD at its best .
If it doesn’t affect me then fuck all y’all .
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here. The only reason I go there is to dig through the cheap Blu-ray bin,
but half the time I drive by, they're closed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#41]
They look like third-world junk stores. Cluttered, dirty, and stocked full of brands you'd only find at an open street bazaar in Bangladesh. The employees are hired because they are cheap, not bright. The one in my town has a constant turnover of drug addicts and circus clowns.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#42]

There's several by me. Always understaffed and boxes stacked in the aisle waiting to be stocked. The closest "dollar store" to me is actually a Family Dollar but they'll be closed randomly because of staffing. The Northern most Dollar General in that screenshot is about a 40min drive.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Prospering dollar stores are an indication of poor economic health.  Think about it.  Who shops there?  No middle class MILFs.  It's the poors.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

It cuts both ways. Only an idiot works there expecting a six-figure salary. Everything about them screams "bottom of the barrel." If the stores in my area are typical, the managers are as clueless as the employees.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Prospering dollar stores are an indication of poor economic health.  Think about it.  Who shops there?  No middle class MILFs.  It's the poors.

View Quote

And rural folk.  There aren't a lot of Whole Foods stores in the sticks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure a part of the draw in rural areas is the complete dearth of any other choices.  As much as they might be a dump, it probably beats a trip to the next town or county over when you need a thing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm sure a part of the draw in rural areas is the complete dearth of any other choices.  As much as they might be a dump, it probably beats a trip to the next town or county over when you need a thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DG or FD in a rural area is handy, you don't have to dress up like when you drive into town to go to Walmart.

Our local FD and Dollar Tree are in the same little shopping center that has a thrift store (cleaner than FD), church and bakery.   One stop cheap entertainment for everyone.   Used to have a nice pawn shop, but he gave up during covid.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#49]
McDonald's in my area shuts down dine in when they don't have enough people. Kind of funy when driving by with no cars parked but the drive thru line is almost out to the street.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#50]
I briefly worked for DG 20 some years ago.
View Quote
The hours were shit (especially truck days) and I could never figure out where all the merchandise went in the store. At one point I had to go help another store due to lack of staff (seems like a trend, huh?) and their shit was so ate up it was unreal. I tried to help them unfuck the mess over a couple weeks, and apparently I was the greatest thing since sliced bread and they asked my boss to transfer me there. Mind you I was 17 at the time, so I told the boss lady that if a kid my age runs shit better than grow ass adult MANAGERS there's no way I'm going back, especially for $7.25 an hour. She agreed and told them to poach elsewhere.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top