User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My employer only recently relented and allowed direct deposit about a month ago. They insisted on giving everybody paper checks prior.

They also vehemently oppose WFH. Of course, they also get upset when something breaks after hours, and they call you and you say "sorry, but I can't access anything from home, so you'll have to wait until I'm back in the office".

Yep, and it's not just CNC... software is required to operate all sorts of machinery these days. Making products ranging from food to cars, and everything in-between.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand the opposition to work from home. I get that blue collar types don't understand that real work is done on computers.

I don't like to telework and given the option, I don't.

When my employees want to telework, I let them. If they aren't doing the work while teleworking, I remove the privilege. Easy as that.

Covid proved to a TON of organizations that WFH was good, increased Productivity, and decreased costs.

Adapt or die

My employer only recently relented and allowed direct deposit about a month ago. They insisted on giving everybody paper checks prior.

They also vehemently oppose WFH. Of course, they also get upset when something breaks after hours, and they call you and you say "sorry, but I can't access anything from home, so you'll have to wait until I'm back in the office".

Quoted:
Sooooooo, tell me how physical the control software on a CNC machine is again?

Yep, and it's not just CNC... software is required to operate all sorts of machinery these days. Making products ranging from food to cars, and everything in-between.
Good grief. Do you work at a strip club or a cocaine distribution warehouse? I've had direct deposit since 1998!

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Jesus Christ. Stop it. Just stop it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sorry but if your not in the trades than your not going to get far

Right? Lol. I’m starving to death from my tech career!
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
sorry but if your not in the trades than your not going to get far

Then maybe start an ironworker’s apprenticeship so you can feed yourself
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
"It is important to come into the office"
and also this:
"We've started hiring offshore workers"

These two diametrically opposed statements show that the author and article is FOS.

And as always, the statement "We can't find workers..." leaves off the super critical end of the sentence -- "We can't find workers... at the wage we want to offer."  If your business can't survive while paying the prevailing wage for workers, then your model sucks and you deserve to go out of business.

There may indeed be a sea change in the employment world as we head into recession, but this article is still crap because it combines that single truth into a truckload of BS reasoning with the intent of a gullible reader swallowing it whole.

The author also seems to forget that as long as the Liberals are in charge, there will be free money from the Govt raining down every time there is any so-called "hardship", thus blunting the 'I must work to eat' survival urge.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Try and get smarter. Maybe take some night classes or something.

That is true if you are a laborer in China or Mexico. Not now. Those who control the economy don't make anything, or supervise those who do.

Even big manufacturers are essentially finance companies inconvenienced by having to produce a tangible product.

Your thoughts on this are decades behind the world. Maybe longer than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand the opposition to work from home. I get that blue collar types don't understand that real work is done on computers.

When my employees want to telework, I let them. If they aren't doing the work while teleworking, I remove the privilege. Easy as that.

Covid proved to a TON of organizations that WFH was good, increased Productivity, and decreased costs.

Adapt or die

If you aren’t producing physical goods, you are irrelevant to real economic power

That is true if you are a laborer in China or Mexico. Not now. Those who control the economy don't make anything, or supervise those who do.

Even big manufacturers are essentially finance companies inconvenienced by having to produce a tangible product.

The rest of GD is here in person, thus we saw wb’s facial expressions and tone of voice, so we knew he was joking.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The rest of GD is here in person, thus we saw wb’s facial expressions and tone of voice, so we knew he was joking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Adapt or die

If you aren’t producing physical goods, you are irrelevant to real economic power

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then maybe start an ironworker’s apprenticeship so you can feed yourself
View Quote

I'm going to take a different line: programming is a trade.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 2:13:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wait until all those illegals Biden let in start taking over their jobs, getting paid under the table, and working for less than 1/2 the cost of an American.
View Quote

I'm totally sure that big bidness isn't lobbying or paying politicians under the table to enable the border mess. They would never do anything to undermine our security or way of life just to line their pockets. Perish the thought...
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Lol sorry no. Older workers will say I'm gone. Making way for the next generation.  To bad so sad that they don't want to work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm guessing older workers are going to start putting off retirement because of economic uncertainty. That combined with less jobs will put new workers in a bind. Hope they have a plan to attain success.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm guessing older workers are going to start putting off retirement because of economic uncertainty. That combined with less jobs will put new workers in a bind. Hope they have a plan to attain success.
View Quote

Older workers have been putting off retirement for a while now.  Boomers have a higher labor force participation rate for their age than the silent or greatest generations.  That trend existed during the Great Recession a decade ago.  The fact is that retirement is an unattainable goal for many workers because they failed to plan in their 20s.  Now that they’re in their 60s and 70s all that, “live for the moment,” attitude is catching up with them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Older workers have been putting off retirement for a while now.  Boomers have a higher labor force participation rate for their age than the silent or greatest generations.  That trend existed during the Great Recession a decade ago.  The fact is that retirement is an unattainable goal for many workers because they failed to plan in their 20s.  Now that they’re in their 60s and 70s all that, “live for the moment,” attitude is catching up with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know 4 people that, in the last week, said they are holding off on retirement for now until they know what the economy is going to do or depends is out of office, the dems lose control of one of the branches, interest rates drop and the market reverses course. All of them have good jobs that pay 6 figures and if they don't retire, they won't be training younger employees to take those jobs. [2 years of classes alone] All were leaving the end of this year or a year later.

With seniority, none of those jobs are bad and they all have their picks of holidays, OT, vacations, and pretty much everything else. Most also have a good chunk of coin put back but are down hundreds of thousands of dollars also.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#15]
We have the largest age group (boomers) retiring.

I think we will be just fine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I know 4 people that, in the last week, said they are holding off on retirement for now until they know what the economy is going to do or depends is out of office, the dems lose control of one of the branches, interest rates drop and the market reverses course. All of them have good jobs that pay 6 figures and if they don't retire, they won't be training younger employees to take those jobs. [2 years of classes alone] All were leaving the end of this year or a year later.

With seniority, none of those jobs are bad and they all have their picks of holidays, OT, vacations, and pretty much everything else. Most also have a good chunk of coin put back but are down hundreds of thousands of dollars also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interest rates won’t be dropping soon. Fed is shell shocked by the inflation figures rolling in each month.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any company that uses India based services should be charged triple their federal taxes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Gen X'er here, mid-senior level professional in the SaaS world. Employers have unrealistic salary and comp perspectives. Lot's of Sr. positions open, but the reason is not a lack of qualified people, the reason is companies being cheapskates. People are in retirement, can retire, and don't need some asswhip of a job for peanuts.  Good news for me, I will be employed as long as I want.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gen X'er here, mid-senior level professional in the SaaS world. Employers have unrealistic salary and comp perspectives. Lot's of Sr. positions open, but the reason is not a lack of qualified people, the reason is companies being cheapskates. People are in retirement, can retire, and don't need some asswhip of a job for peanuts.  Good news for me, I will be employed as long as I want.
View Quote

It is certainly "interesting" when companies post their biggest profits ever, and then don't increase anyone's salaries or their own hiring budgets.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I consult for a company that is based out of CA.  One of the biggest shareholder/owners is a hardcore D that has drunk the D agenda and drones on endlessly about how spectacular the progressive D's are doing business and the only way forward is a $15 per hour minimum wage.  5 months ago the company needed to hire some new employees.  This progressive D said that she would take care of it.  A week later I get an email from her that gives me email contact info for (4) new employees.  During a follow up Zoom meeting she tells everyone that she hired (4) new employees from the Philippines because they only charge something like $6 per hour (I don't remember the exact amount) and was so proud of herself for saving the company money.  Every single D is a hypocrite.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Is this going to happen? I think so.
I work for a global Fortune 500. We are very management heavy right now. More than I’ve ever seen.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I consult for a company that is based out of CA.  One of the biggest shareholder/owners is a hardcore D that has drunk the D agenda and drones on endlessly about how spectacular the progressive D's are doing business and the only way forward is a $15 per hour minimum wage.  5 months ago the company needed to hire some new employees.  This progressive D said that she would take care of it.  A week later I get an email from her that gives me email contact info for (4) new employees.  During a follow up Zoom meeting she tells everyone that she hired (4) new employees from the Philippines because they only charge something like $6 per hour (I don't remember the exact amount) and was so proud of herself for saving the company money.  Every single D is a hypocrite.
View Quote

she will feel heroic inside that she gave some brown skinned foreigners a chance at the american dream and will tell all her girlfriends at the next rally about it.. they will gush how great she is.....

btw she also gets to buy that new expensive car, purse, whatever she has been wanting
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Interesting read.

Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Interesting read.

View Quote

I think social media has undermined the old message that people need to work hard to attain success. It's really easy to see people living lives of leisure in lavish surroundings.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#26]
last gasp of the boomers. I read that the incoming workforce will be less than half of what it historically has been. They will be fighting tooth and nail for employees in the years to come
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Adapt or die

Link Posted: 7/26/2022 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Interesting read.

View Quote

Because they have learned that they are an expendable number to be let go the second some higher up's paycheck needs a bigger number. Some may be lazy for sure but an equal number learned that busting your ass doesn't get them a bigger paycheck, advancements,  and loyalty from most companies. [there are ALWAYS exceptions]

Link Posted: 7/26/2022 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Because they have learned that they are an expendable number to be let go the second some higher up's paycheck needs a bigger number. Some may be lazy for sure but an equal number learned that busting your ass doesn't get them a bigger paycheck, advancements,  and loyalty from most companies. [there are ALWAYS exceptions]

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting read.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top