User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is the V12 isn't it?

There was one for sale near me a couple of years ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love your threads. Talented and creative.
Thanks!

Some people hate them.  I have filtered out some pretty nasty comments from my 2JZ powered 1956 chev pickup videos on YouTube.  Ironically enough,  the only place I have ever embedded them and advertised them at was here.  
Screw em!

I recently dragged our 67 Buick up from the bottom of our lot and started turning wrenches on it. Got it started for the 1st time in about 12 years. Sadly, it has low compression in one hole, a cooling system full of rustsludge and a couple of the freeze plugs are pushed (no idea how that happened in CA). NFW am I putting money into the stock engine, it has very limited performance potential and next to no aftermarket.

Remembering the 56 chevy build thread had me looking at 2Js on various JDM importer sites.

Wife shot the idea down (it is her car) .
It is getting a 6.0 instead.

ETA: If you decide to 2J swap the van I will buy the 6.0

You want to be real different go with a 1GZ-FE
That is the V12 isn't it?

There was one for sale near me a couple of years ago.
Yes!  And they sound beautiful.  They can be had pretty reasonably cheap too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Been looking to do the same, but all the "deals" are low mile, 6 cyl Ford econolines.

Did pick up a wrecked low mile 6.0 van, but going in a 63 Nova. With a carb.

Technology scares me
View Quote
I had a 6 cyl econoline that I used to tote my atv's and motorcycles in.  That thing had more piston slap than you could imagine,  but it went absolutely everywhere and never let me down.

ETA:  I have never owned any of the V-6 versions though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#3]
nice, tagged to follow. I'm thinking about something like this for when my kids get a little bigger. I feel like with all the road trips for sports and shit it's going to be easier to have something all self contained like this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Buddy of mine has an '08ish 2500 van with 750k miles. No joke.  Current 6.0 engine has over 400k on it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just recently got a new Chevy 6.0 powered van for work. That 6.0 is no slouch.
View Quote
They are heavy drinkers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Tagged.

I kinda want to do this.

After your first round of sound deadener/insulation...how did you attach your wood stringers to the bulkhead?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tagged.

I kinda want to do this.

After your first round of sound deadener/insulation...how did you attach your wood stringers to the bulkhead?
View Quote
The 1x3 stringers were attached to the vertical ribs and the front and rear pinch seams with self tapping screws.  They are completely separate from the bulkhead,  No attachment there.  Once the bulkhead itself is insulated the cedar covering it will likely be tied into the existing completed walls.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They are heavy drinkers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just recently got a new Chevy 6.0 powered van for work. That 6.0 is no slouch.
They are heavy drinkers.
I have been driving the van for the better part of a week and have not had any complaints with the fuel mileage.  It's not a sipper,  but ittl be ok.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Shagging Waggin
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#10]
You going to have it ready for OSH this year?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gonna do a 4wd conversion as well? Then it could really be your camping van.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nope.

I contemplated buying an AWD van,  but they are either stupid expensive,  high miles (like 300,000+) or rusty as hell.  Or all of those.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

I contemplated buying an AWD van,  but they are either stupid expensive,  high miles (like 300,000+) or rusty as hell.  Or all of those.  

Leaves thread....
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You going to have it ready for OSH this year?
View Quote
I hope to.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Leaves thread....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

Leaves thread....
Are they cheaper in Montana?   Cause I looked all over.  SD, ND, MN,  and even eastern MT.  What I found wasn't where I wanted to be in those targets.

As I said in the OP,  This van isn't even quite what I wanted.  It just fell into the "Ittl do" and "Good price" category.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Paint scheme suggestion:

Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I know where there is a GMC Quigley for sale. Unfortunately it’s 2 years old and probably will want too much for it. 6.0 6L90.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I got a steal on an 05 Quigley 4x4 E 350 last spring.  I had been bugging the guy for 3 years, and he relented...…

I have decided to keep the inside mostly open, for camping hauling etc.  I have a fold out bed that works as storage when closed, and provides seating.  I have 270 watts of solar on the roof, a rear roof rack, and a nice ARB awning.

I like what you are doing.  I am sure you have found Expedition Portal, The SMB forum and have seen all of the Van Life youtubes.  great way to see tips and tricks.  I am not going to build mine out yet, or maybe not at all.  One thing I have gathered from all of those sources is that folks who build out generally have multiple version, as none are ever quite right.

There is a guy on the SMB forum who does swivel seat bases.  Best upgrade to mine, so far.  If you decide to ditch the bulk head divider, swivels can be a huge  benefit.  My driver swivel is a little tricky with my 4x transfer stick, but it can be done.  The passenger side takes about 30 seconds.

Having back country camped for the last 25 years in a Jeep, I have certainly died and gone to heaven, and its probably part of why I like mine more open.  grab a cold one from my ARB fridge, hop in my Sunset seat (the passenger swivel), and stretch out my legs next to my 125 pound dog.  Van life is good.....

edit: forgot to add, yes not one person who I have shown it to has not kidded about candy or rape or shaggin'
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I got a steal on an 05 Quigley 4x4 E 350 last spring.  I had been bugging the guy for 3 years, and he relented...…

I have decided to keep the inside mostly open, for camping hauling etc.  I have a fold out bed that works as storage when closed, and provides seating.  I have 270 watts of solar on the roof, a rear roof rack, and a nice ARB awning.

I like what you are doing.  I am sure you have found Expedition Portal, The SMB forum and have seen all of the Van Life youtubes.  great way to see tips and tricks.  I am not going to build mine out yet, or maybe not at all.  One thing I have gathered from all of those sources is that folks who build out generally have multiple version, as none are ever quite right.

There is a guy on the SMB forum who does swivel seat bases.  Best upgrade to mine, so far.  If you decide to ditch the bulk head divider, swivels can be a huge  benefit.  My driver swivel is a little tricky with my 4x transfer stick, but it can be done.  The passenger side takes about 30 seconds.

Having back country camped for the last 25 years in a Jeep, I have certainly died and gone to heaven, and its probably part of why I like mine more open.  grab a cold one from my ARB fridge, hop in my Sunset seat (the passenger swivel), and stretch out my legs next to my 125 pound dog.  Van life is good.....

edit: forgot to add, yes not one person who I have shown it to has not kidded about candy or rape or shaggin'
View Quote
I haven't checked any forums...  No.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I have camped in... Yes. in my mustang before for air shows that are far from home.

So this will be way better than my fathers 5.5 foot truck bed under a tonneau. Or the mustang.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#19]
My Asian buddy drew this for me!  Hahaha

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is there “free candy” painted on the side?  
View Quote
Pfffffttttt...

He's going with a full body wrap of pieces of candy with the words "FREE CANDY" in 24-inch tall dayglow lettering.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
If I ever decide I want a van, that's the one I want

Hard to find for a decent price, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One of my friends here built a stealth camper on a AWD gm van.

His has windows covered with curtains.

I used my 3 door Mustang as a camper and for hauling tools and gas to the airport.

I leaned the front seats forward for my pillow and back.  Worked great.
View Quote
 I have done just that in a hatch car.  Mine are not hatch cars.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Boooo.

Ran out of T&G.

Need to go get more.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Paint scheme suggestion:

https://i.imgur.com/mrM3nYk.jpg
View Quote
Local hotel has this for tailgating at husker games

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/14294/MuttCutts-13-1_jpg-912398.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paint scheme suggestion:

https://i.imgur.com/mrM3nYk.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/14294/MuttCutts-13-1_jpg-912398.JPG

Started on the ceiling.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Murder van?
View Quote
I went to school with a guy that had an old plumbing van like that, but without the nice interior. We all called it the "Stabbin' Cabin."

Neat project OP.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Cool. I have a 1979 Dodge box van (it's actually called a Kary Van..lol) that I've been wanting to do something like this to for 15 years.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#30]
When are you walking it off with 6, 18”s and 24,000 watts?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My buddy took one look at the van and scratched his chin while saying....."We could twin turbo that".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gonna be a hell of a camper.  
Needs a turbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKj5pAZTuVc
My buddy took one look at the van and scratched his chin while saying....."We could twin turbo that".  
I automatically assumed that you would be adding a turbo or 2 to it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol!

I guess I kinda have that reputation huh?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Murder van?
View Quote
I was going to go with rape but yea
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but are you keeping the cage? I think I'd get rid of it. Makes it feel just a little too creepy to me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Ha.  Came to post "Rape Van" but got beat bad.  You live in Philly?

And oh yeah soundtrack music.

Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Shagging Waggin
View Quote
Last year I was getting gas when this lady looked in the window of mine, saw the bed, and said "Nice shaggin' wagon."
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but are you keeping the cage? I think I'd get rid of it. Makes it feel just a little too creepy to me.
View Quote
It will stay. It will be lined/covered with cedar slats.

The door will stay operational.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Lol!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol!

Yes you do.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes you do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol!

Yes you do.
I guess there is worse things to have a reputation for.  

Anyways..  Ceiling is done.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Needs GMC badges and a paint job

Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I like it . My company truck is a 6.0 with  4l80. It averages 12.3 mpg mainly stop and go.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#44]
dang, you are rockin' and rollin' on the walls and ceiling.

Mine had the same metal bulkhead, with all of the high end metal shelving in the rear.  The amount of rattle was unbearable.  Hopefully your bulkhead is not to rattly.  Note sure whether you have spent much time in vans like this, but the overall feeling of roominess  from pulling the bulkhead is night and day.  I picked up a high end cargo net that I put in place the keep gear to the far back.  My big mutt gets all the area from about the bulkhead to the front of the fender wells, when we travel.

OK, forums and such.  The SMB is the Sportsmobile official forum.  All day everyday, van stuff.  great for ideas, how too's and even repairs.  It's mostly SMB specific, but there is a lot of crossover.  Expedition portal is a general road/offroad adventure site, covering all make and shape off offroad stuff.  They have a sportsmobile subsection that is pretty much a wasteland due to there being an actual sportsmobile forum of its own.  There is a van section on Expedition Portal that covers everything van related, that is not SMB specific.  And the 12 Volt subforum is fantastic for all things 12 volt, including solar.

As to youtube and Van Life proper, you will find a ton of videos to watch.  You have to watch past all of the vegan hippie type stuff (unless that is your gig), and if you watch enough you will see lots of little tips and tricks.  These folks are living full time, so much does not apply, but pretty much any van scenario that you can think of has been attempted and ironed out.  If you watch a lot of these, you will soon understand why it is impossible to find good used vans, at reasonable prices.  We are living in Peak Van, right now.

I took mine elk hunting for the first time last fall.  I got snowed out for the last night and day, and bugged out at about 1:00 in the morning, in a blizzard. It was sweet being able to toss everything in the back, and roll out quickly.  I made it to a small town grocery store, and crawled into my sleeping bag to let the sun come up, for the rest of the trek home. Having my bed already to go was so nice.  In my Jeep, it would have taken me two hours to pack, as every single item had to go exactly in "its" spot.  And I have done the sleeping bag wiggle in the front of a Jeep.  Not fun, and not comfortable in any way.

Welcome to the Peak...., and watch out for the hippy chicks that dig your new pine
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:49:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice build out so far, can’t wait to see more. This is something I would love to do myself slmeday
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:49:45 AM EDT
[#46]
I can't look at that sort of van flooring without thinking about how virtually every rental cargo van in existence smells like leaky garbage bags.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:29:31 AM EDT
[#47]
I've watched a ton of conversion videos on the YouTubes... I'd have considered it someday, but most conversions are just a little too basic. Given I need to piss 2-5 times per night, I'd HAVE to have a head in it. I'd really want a shower as well, but would try to find other places to shower and only use it if I absolutely needed to.

Frankly, I'll probably save up and put a big down payment on a formal van. The Winnebago Travato 69GL is my current target. They're not cheap... but maybe in 3-4 years when I'm ready to buy, I can find a used one and save some moolah.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I hope you're ready for kidnapper jokes. Like it or not you'll be hearing a lot of them.
View Quote
The price you pay for the sweet pleasure of van ownership.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Diffusers for the led strips are finished and put up for the indirect lighting.

The one on the left stops short of the bulkhead because there will be a floor to ceiling cabinet there eventually.  The top 8 inches or so of the cabinet will be the electrical and the controls for the lighting, solar and inverters.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#50]
This is awesome. Looked at a couple Quigleys and bought my excursion instead. For camping and the like it sucks and I wish I had gone the other way.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top