Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh. You’re in ND. Well...  keep the doors closed and you can probably keep the interior above frostbite level.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I picked up this decently optioned LS 6.0 powered 2006 Chevy Express 3/4 ton van for a pretty good price.  I have been wanting to do this project for a while,  but have been looking for a while for the right deal on a van. I wanted to have a van with traditional doors on the side rather than a slider,  but this is what came available.

It is a completely gutted cargo van,  with a divider installed.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0407192015_jpg-912062.JPG

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the gutted interior.  But you can imagine a bare van.

This is after insulating the van and adding 1x3 strips to work off of.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0409191812_jpg-912067.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0407192016a_jpg-912072.JPG

At this point I decided against sheeting it with plywood as I had originally planned.  I went with a layer of Reflectix thermal barrier.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0413191439_jpg-912073.JPG

Followed by vertical strips to accommodate the wall material.  
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0413191618_jpg-912074.JPG

Wall material is Pine T&G.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0413191750a_jpg-912076.JPG

Process is the same on the other side...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0413192023_jpg-912077.JPG

The bulkhead and floor will be insulated and sheeted in cedar.

The area in the rear that is nott sheeted is where the bed frame will be built.

I am still trying to plan out the ceiling,  I have it furred and bowed, The final product is being thought out as I go.

Power will be a combination of 200 watt solar and a couple inverters with a bank of two 12v batteries.

The inverters.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0314191857a_jpg-912080.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0319191905_jpg-912082.JPG

More pics to come.

ETA:  The van was 3000 dollars and as of this post 400 in materials.  
View Quote

Goddamn
You are in my head.
I’ve always wanted to build something like this:
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:55:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your bed looks designed for the sleeper's body to be orthogonal to the long axis of the van. That will be cramped.
View Quote
I'm just assuming that unless he's 5'3" he's probably going to put a collapsible platform towards the front of the van and use an air mattress. I'm 6'3" so I kind of make some assumptions.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#5]
"Free Candy" van
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a fun thread.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Your bed looks designed for the sleeper's body to be orthogonal to the long axis of the van. That will be cramped.
View Quote
Yeah, looks more like a “Fucking Nook”.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A bit of small work today.  Sanding, installing door and drawer hardware,  installing cabinet floors and drawer bottoms, lighting and more insulation on the floors in the storage areas.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0421191826_jpg-920703.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0421191442_jpg-920707.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0421191918_jpg-920708.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0421191846_jpg-920709.JPG
View Quote
Gold hardware?

I hope it was free.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#9]
what is the total width of the back once you added the insulation and the panels?
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 5:36:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm just assuming that unless he's 5'3" he's probably going to put a collapsible platform towards the front of the van and use an air mattress. I'm 6'3" so I kind of make some assumptions.
View Quote
I have been thinking about possibly doing something like that.

But I know I wont have too much issue if I don't.  I am only 5'5''.  The bed measures 5'9''.  Not a lot of wiggle room,  but it is longer than the 5.5 pickup bed I usually sleep in on the trips this is aimed for. Had I found an extended van for a reasonable price,  I would have put in a full size bed.

Maybe in another build in the future.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 5:37:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gold hardware?

I hope it was free.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A bit of small work today.  Sanding, installing door and drawer hardware,  installing cabinet floors and drawer bottoms, lighting and more insulation on the floors in the storage areas.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0421191826_jpg-920703.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0421191442_jpg-920707.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0421191918_jpg-920708.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0421191846_jpg-920709.JPG
Gold hardware?

I hope it was free.
It is brass and was cheap.  I don't think it looks that terrible.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 5:39:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
what is the total width of the back once you added the insulation and the panels?
View Quote
Usable is 5'9''.

ETA:  bed width.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oh. You’re in ND. Well...  keep the doors closed and you can probably keep the interior above frostbite level.
View Quote
I will likely never use it in the winter.  But if I need to, a Little propane heater will keep it plenty warm.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But I know I wont have too much issue if I don't.  I am only 5'5''.  The bed measures 5'9''.  Not a lot of wiggle room,  but it is longer than the 5.5 pickup bed I usually sleep in on the trips this is aimed for. Had I found an extended van for a reasonable price,  I would have put in a full size bed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It appears my eye needs calibration then. Is it 5'9" front to back or side to side?
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It appears my eye needs calibration then. Is it 5'9" front to back or side to side?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Driver side to passenger side. Measured it this morning again just for the questions in this last few posts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#16]
That's wider than I expected.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's wider than I expected.
View Quote
Iirc the mfr specs show darn near 8 ft outside at the vans widest.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I thought this picture looks neat.

I took it last night after a good bit of sanding and Gettin all the lighting in and lit.

Plenty of light in there.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#19]
<-- RV, trailer, custom camper tech in a past life..
I've worked on many van conversions, RVs, assorted trailers of all descriptions, as well as built campers from the ground up starting with a bare frame on a new vehicle..
A few comments I hope will help.
I noticed magnetic catches on the doors below the bunk...
One good bump or a hard braking and they'll pop open.
Go for something that positively latches / locks..
I had a Ford extended van years ago.
I insulated much like you did but added the following.
I cut the styro a bit small...1/2 inch +/-
Used spray foam to install and seal the edges to metal.
Otherwise it will squeak due to the vehicle flexing.
Make sure ALL wiring is well secured and protected.
Again, flex & vibration will cause chafing and short circuits.
Use the weakest possible fuse on all DC circuits.
Ain't nothing funny about smellin' smoke at 80+ MPH on the interstate
...and the nearest on-ramp / exit is 50 miles away...
One of the best "hiding in plain sight" places I've found..
Hotel parking lot.....
Have a paint job / decals for a commercial contracting business.
Walk right in and tell the clerk you need to meet an associate in the lounge.
Have a couple cold ones...go to van & snooze away..
If ya want to push ya luck ya might get a free continental breakfast.
+++A warm place to take a crap & clean up a bit.
Ya might even find a lounge lizard to keep ya warm..
Looks good OP.. Keep the fotos coming!!
And yes... I lived in a van for awhile..
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted: My buddy took one look at the van and scratched his chin while saying....."We could twin turbo that".  
View Quote
YES!
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sleeping platform in my offroad truck is about 5'7 or so, truck bed is 6' but I wanted to leave some full height space towards the tailgate for gas/water cans and other taller things. I am a hair under 6' but I pretty much always sleep in a fetal position anyway so it has never proven to be much of an issue. Has worked fine even with a second person (5'2 wife) in there. There is even just enough room for "activities".
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Sweet baby Jesus, quote is not edit....
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:34:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I really like how the light has turned out in there.  I'm impressed with the woodwork.

I have to ask, though...are you going to leave the edges of the cabinet doors square cut like that?

I'll loan you a router bit.

It's really looking fantastic!  Given your insulation, a small propane heater will be more than enough for that space on all but the coldest days, I would think.  I'd be more worried about keeping the interior cool enough to sleep in comfortably on warmer nights.

Please keep updating the thread!
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I thought this picture looks neat.

I took it last night after a good bit of sanding and Gettin all the lighting in and lit.

Plenty of light in there.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0421192021_jpg-921211.JPG
View Quote
I've been following this thread, looks really good, nice work. I'm a bit jealous.

What's your plan for the floor?
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#25]
This dude is cool as hell. Hopefully my link works.

Bug Out Moto Van Tour | Camp in Van With Motorcycle
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've been following this thread, looks really good, nice work. I'm a bit jealous.

What's your plan for the floor?
View Quote
Not 100 percent sure yet.  It will get boxed with stringers and  insulated.  After that...  I want to go with cedar.  But I'm kinda up in the air on it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I really like how the light has turned out in there.  I'm impressed with the woodwork.

I have to ask, though...are you going to leave the edges of the cabinet doors square cut like that?

It's really looking fantastic!  Given your insulation, a small propane heater will be more than enough for that space on all but the coldest days, I would think.  I'd be more worried about keeping the interior cool enough to sleep in comfortably on warmer nights.

View Quote
I dont own a router so I just kinda went with it.

I think I will just go with sanding the sharp edges rounded. And go with it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I will likely never use it in the winter.  But if I need to, a Little propane heater will keep it plenty warm.
View Quote
If you do this get a carbon monoxide checker. I was at the creek the year a father and son were killed by carbon monoxide from a small propane heater in their tent.  Be safe we like your builds.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Very cool project OP.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ventilation looks like it might be a real problem.

It doesn't like you have any windows that open in the rear of that van. Unless you're planning on sleeping with doors open, that's not going to work too well.

The easiest option might be to try replacing entire doors with those from a passenger van with windows. Hopefully, those will have the style of windows my Astro had. Those pop outward at the bottom so you can have them open, even when it's raining.

At camp sites with power, I used to hang a box fan over the driver's side 2nd row window to move more air through the vehicle. It worked brilliantly.

If you're really adventurous, you could install one of those low voltage mini attic fan things some RVs have.
View Quote
Rear pop out windows and a side pop out window, square roof hatch vent and front pop up sun roof were BARELY enough ventilation  for sleeping 2. You breath out a GALLON (2 qts each) during the night. I have had a few of these and a school bus conversion. Great insulation but moisture is gonna be an issue.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I went with no divider and swivel seats and enjoyed access to sound system and the rest up front. Natural light went desired. Used a curtain for privacy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you do this get a carbon monoxide checker. I was at the creek the year a father and son were killed by carbon monoxide from a small propane heater in their tent.  Be safe we like your builds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have always chickened out when it comes to sleeping with a propane heater on, even though it has a Carbon Monoxide detector on it.  I'd rather sleep cold than that thing fail and I die.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I always love your project threads OP

I've always thought these were cool ideas. But being of the 6'1 variety, after insulation and all, it's too narrow to do it like that for me.

And having the bed lengthwise down the van kind of kills the layout, imo
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have always chickened out when it comes to sleeping with a propane heater on, even though it has a Carbon Monoxide detector on it.  I'd rather sleep cold than that thing fail and I die.
View Quote
Me too. Could never fall asleep when I've done it.

I would think a nice sleeping bag would be plenty warm with all the additional insulation put in the van. Like somebody else said, ventilation/fans/AC would probably be more of my concern.

Do those vans run the AC/heat to the back? Or could you add it? It may not be ideal to run the van for heat/AC but would work in a pinch of you think 99% of the time you wont need either.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I always love your project threads OP

I've always thought these were cool ideas. But being of the 6'1 variety, after insulation and all, it's too narrow to do it like that for me.

And having the bed lengthwise down the van kind of kills the layout, imo
View Quote
Do a fold down like a lot of campers and rvs use. If you watch the moto bug out vid posted above it’s what he did. His van came out pretty nice too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can loan you a router, too...if you want to try.  IM me your address if you want to.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This dude is cool as hell. Hopefully my link works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmruWX5hDNo
View Quote
That's a neat build - he's got a lot of the bells and whistles.

For a guy posting videos on YouTube,  though, he seems oddly inhibited by a desire to stay under the radar.  I wanted to see what his vent fans and cameras looked like from the outside but he won't show them because he's trying to "stay stealth", like somebody's gonna recognize the van.  Kinda shooting his YouTube endeavor in the foot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Holy moly.  I am short about 3 feet on the cedar.

Booooooo.

I have to do mucho sanding on the floor.  But I think Ittl look good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I can loan you a router, too...if you want to try.  IM me your address if you want to.
View Quote
Wow..

Thank you for the offer!

I think I may just go with it the way it is for now.

@Sixtigers
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Got a van/pop up awning and a new roof vent that was removed to install an a.c. unit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Very cool build.  The cedar looks great IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Thats bad ass.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Did a little more goofing around today.

Got a 3.5 inch thick full memory foam roll and a 1.5 inch topper and cut and wrapped it up into a mattress.

Finished the bed frame and did some poly filling and felt covering on one of the pillars.  Covered nicely.

Attachment Attached File

In the process of covering and trimming.
Attachment Attached File

Final trim work.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Is there a plan for the door?

I imagine since it's a sliding door you can't do much but it sure looks out of place.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Is there a plan for the door?

I imagine since it's a sliding door you can't do much but it sure looks out of place.
View Quote
Oh yeah. There is a plan for it.

Surprisingly there is a ton of room for materials.  I could tongue and groove it like the rest of the van too if I wanted.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#46]
do it!
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Awesome Project & Work!

Keep it Going!!!

Being in Texas, I'd be trying to figure out a cooling system for the 9 months of summer we "enjoy" in our hot & humid region
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Oh yeah. There is a plan for it.

Surprisingly there is a ton of room for materials.  I could tongue and groove it like the rest of the van too if I wanted.
View Quote
Awesome! If there wasn't room for anything I'm sure it wouldn't have been a big deal, but it's even better that you can do something with it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Are you keeping the bulkhead to conceal the fact that it's a camper from folks looking in through the windshield?

Enjoying the build and pictures.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Are you keeping the bulkhead to conceal the fact that it's a camper from folks looking in through the windshield?

Enjoying the build and pictures.
View Quote
Yep.

For the most part...  Yes.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top