Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
For a period of several months during the Clinton regime, we COULDN'T have ordered a nuclear strike even if we wanted to.  He lost the nuclear codes.  Back then, the codes were replaced every 4 months, but inspected every month.  DOD (or whoever) sent a guy over to the WH to inspect the codes, and a Clinton staffer took the guy aside and told him the president was very busy, the codes are fine, and go back to the Pentagon.  The same thing happened the next month.  Then they replaced the codes.

The procedure was changed after that.  The DOD rep has to see the codes, or wait at the WH until they become available.

If you want an example of true incompetence, here it is.  And we survived 8 years of him.  Zippy was arguably much worse, and we survived 8 years of him, too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of bad information here.  They call it "the football," but it's actually a football phone:

They carry it in a briefcase and, until the advent of the MagicJack, it could never be more than 100 feet from any wall jack so that it could be plugged in at a moment's notice.  The president today has freedom of movement that his predecessors could never have imagined.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What authority does the President have over the aircraft commander on AF1?  Because if he does then it's two steps from the President to the staff sergeant flight attendant.  
View Quote
That's...a pretty fair point.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]
What's the general thought on which nuke to use?

(ICBM vs SLBM? I imagine bombers are more deterrents than strike, right? )
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
"It depends"
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I read a book by a former top brass that mentioned the boomers were intended for a limited first strike against a peer/near-peer threat or for a massive retaliatory strike.

lx can comment on the veracity of the information.

I would think the SLBMs would be kept in reserve in case the ground assets were disabled, but I generally suck at guessing this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Biden is trying to figure if the nuke is in the football or if one targets the spot the football landed
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86713/1066FCEA-473D-4850-83BE-E01C21520E7F-410433.JPG
View Quote
"Don't worry football.  You and me got dis.  We'll be ready when the time comes.  Daddy would be so proud."
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
#obligatory

Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Nuclear biscuits sound tasty.

Load those bitches up with fallout gravy and DIG IN.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nuclear biscuits sound tasty.

Load those bitches up with fallout gravy and DIG IN.
View Quote
Nuclear biscuits is also a good band name.

I'm thinking punk.  Maybe humorous thrash metal (think Dropkick Murphys with longer hair and more guitar)
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I read a book by a former top brass that mentioned the boomers were intended for a limited first strike against a peer/near-peer threat or for a massive retaliatory strike.

lx can comment on the veracity of the information.

I would think the SLBMs would be kept in reserve in case the ground assets were disabled, but I generally suck at guessing this stuff.
View Quote
It depends.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Name another military field where the distance between a 2Lt and the President is four people.
View Quote
Impressive. In our world, the drone pilot -> White House may only be 6 or 7 people if extremely important things are happening.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Okay. Give me a step by step of how it works and some reason to believe you are "in the know" more than the guy consulted for that article.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys should stop blindly trusting stories contrived by the press to sell newspapapers.
Okay. Give me a step by step of how it works and some reason to believe you are "in the know" more than the guy consulted for that article.
I'd trust CWO on this one. He has probably been closer to the actual football then anyone else on this message board. Same goes for limaxray.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
POTUS --> Command Director of the National Military Command Center --> Command Director of the Strategic Command Command Center --> 1 and 2Lts sitting on alert in the missile field.  Or CPT/MAJ sitting in the left seat of the jet.  Or LCDR as God Emperor/Supreme Dictator of his boomer.

Name another military field where the distance between a 2Lt and the President is four people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@limaxray described the nuclear order process here a couple months ago.  Said something like it was the shortest military Chain of Command in the world.

Rather than me trying to repeat it from memory, let's see if we can get him to come in here and describe it.
POTUS --> Command Director of the National Military Command Center --> Command Director of the Strategic Command Command Center --> 1 and 2Lts sitting on alert in the missile field.  Or CPT/MAJ sitting in the left seat of the jet.  Or LCDR as God Emperor/Supreme Dictator of his boomer.

I believe all boomer COs are Captains. I’m not sure if that’s always been the case.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:32:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I believe all boomer COs are Captains. I’m not sure if that’s always been the case.
View Quote
I think SSGN skippers are post Boomer command CAPTs while SSBN COs are post XO tour CDRs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:38:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think SSGN skippers are post Boomer command CAPTs while SSBN COs are post XO tour CDRs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe that's it...  I know for a fact they're not LCDRs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:47:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Maybe that's it...  I know for a fact they're not LCDRs.
View Quote
I think Weaps, Nav, CHENG and the XO are LCDRs on a SSBN.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top