Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:01:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive had 2 350Z's and one 370Z.

I think the late model 350 with the HR was the best of the bunch personally.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is wife's 67 SPL311 that her dad bought new.  He drove the shit out of it for years, then we restored it after it had been sitting for 20ish years.  It's a fun little car, but I hate the fucking SU carbs.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz41/rnewell_2009/IMG_1271.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/262156/IMG-1255-110996.JPG

This is what it looked like when we got it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/262156/IMG-0839-111003.JPG
View Quote
The better half wants one.   I've tried to convince her she won't like an old carbed manual transmission car with no creature comforts.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:22:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Had a beautiful 1977 280z in high school.  Was tuned, and had BBS wheels with Pirelli rubber.....loved that car.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, the Z is in need of a redesign but that doesn't mean it is underwhelming when you look at its similarly priced and equipped competitors. It has a better horsepower to weight ratio than the others and I would venture to say it can also handle corners better than all of them as well (stock and drivers being equal).

It is also to Fords credit that you can get that much capability that cheap (and yes I will probably own one of the current crop of GTs some day), but when viewed through the "you can just get a GT mustang for about that much instead" lens then pretty much every other car out there in this price range is underwhelming. That said, the Z also wasn't designed to be a direct competitor to a V8 American muscle car which is why I listed the ecoboost version.

I bought my low mileage 2003 350z used because it was and still is the best reliable performance per dollar I could find on the used market. I love the hell out of the thing and it has the right combination of horsepower, handling and reasonable fuel economy for a daily commute and as a bonus it is easy to work on.
View Quote
my point regarding GTs being available for same price is that most performance minded ppl aren't buying Zs. The demographic isn't the same. Most ppl by 370zs for a sporty, higher end two seater that's nice to look at but isn't a Miata. The 350zs however had a great niche they fell into in the mid 2000s were a Z with a few mods was keeping up with the then current pony cars. It changed things. That made guys turn to 350s, instead of going with new stangs, camaro, or used performance cars that may fall into that price range. The 350z when it came out was a great car.

The newer designed 370z is already outdated and even the Z guys that race/track them whine about it. I know at least 5 ppl that have got them only to turn around resell them, --and go to another platform altogether.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had two brushes with Z cars in my life.
My dad owned a 79 280zx in the early 80s. It was supposed to be my first car but the NY saltmonster ruined that whole deal.
Almost bought a $500 240z in the early 90s. Unfortunately it needed more work then I was equipped for so I passed on it.

If I had the money and the space, I would be snapping up every clean 240z I could get my hands on and squirreling them away. I see big numbers on the horizon for those cars.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have had two brushes with Z cars in my life.
My dad owned a 79 280zx in the early 80s. It was supposed to be my first car but the NY saltmonster ruined that whole deal.
Almost bought a $500 240z in the early 90s. Unfortunately it needed more work then I was equipped for so I passed on it.

If I had the money and the space, I would be snapping up every clean 240z I could get my hands on and squirreling them away. I see big numbers on the horizon for those cars.
View Quote
Nissan actually did that in the mid 90's.

http://jalopnik.com/what-happened-to-all-the-datsun-240zs-nissan-restored-i-1583370936
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Spring of 1987.  Driving home from work in my 1984 Camaro Z28 H.O.  My first new car.  Had become absolutely sick of the crap build quality on the Camaro, and American cars in general at that time.  That car was slowly disintegrating around me.  Dealership and service experience was awful.  Anyway, fairly new Nissan dealership located on my commute route.  This day, I pulled off the freeway and in to the Nissan dealer.  A couple hours later drove out in my brand new 1987 light blue, base model 5-speed 300ZX.  Drove straight to my folks place for show and tell.  Completely different experience.  Loved the car.  My only Jap car, ever.  Got married a year later and in 1991 ex-wife totaled the Z car.  Moved on, One Jeep Cherokee then back to GM and several Caddy's, a couple of trucks and a couple of Corvettes later, all is good.  The Z car came around at just the right time and filled a gap for me.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top