Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/9/2018 1:52:09 PM EDT
I'm working on a story right now, the scene in question is the introduction of two characters who wouldn't have met under any other circumstances. It would take a long time to explain what they are but they met in a firefight in Afghanistan where one saved the other.

One of the characters is a US Army sergeant. Everyone else on his side is dead and his position is about to be overrun by Taliban when he calls in an air strike on his own coordinates.

The bomb bursts very close to him, he survives the initial blast, the Taliban fighters don't. The "other character" arrives and keeps him alive long enough for rescue to arrive.

I'm imagining this scenario, but there's two things that I can't quite see on my minds eye. What would he be shouting into the radio before the bombs fall and where in Afghanistan could such a thing conceivably happen.

Any other thoughts and stories are welcome.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Danger close.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I doubt he would be screaming into the radio. Just call in or designate where you want it to hit and get down...
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a lead farmer, Motherfucker!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Army Sgt calling in air strikes? What MOS is that? I'm sure there are some SF guys with the training but I thought that's why JTACs usually were attached to Army.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#5]
They drew first blood!!!! Arahragjraarr(fwiw that's my Stallone noise)
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Either MGTD or adjust fire I would assume.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Make it rain up in heah!
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Army Sgt calling in air strikes? What MOS is that? I'm sure there are some SF guys with the training but I thought that's why JTACs usually were attached to Army.
View Quote
JTAC was dead.

I'm imagining a relatively short and very bloody battle.

That said, my knowledge of such things doesn't go beyond public sector knowledge and the occasional conversation.

You know, Wikipedia level stuff.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#9]
You need to do some research to get your characterizations, their jobs, and the situational conditions right.

I suggest you visit your local VFW, explain what you are trying to do, and ask if anyone there might consult with you to make your story believable to someone who has actually served in Asscrackistan.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Bad news, he wouldn't get the drop.

What you are looking for is an arty dump.  Maybe a 120mm mortar dump.

Not that your scenario would happen but it would be more like this,

"Dump all HE on UA72941387"

"Confirm Danger Close"

"Not even Danger Close.  Thats my grid.  Fuck it all.  Send what you can to pick up the pieces later"
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

"Confirm Danger Close"

"Not even Danger Close.  Thats my grid.  Fuck it all.  Send what you can to pick up the pieces later"
View Quote
Thank you.

I was hoping you might show up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#12]
“Don’t cry for me, Argentina!”
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You need to do some research to get your characterizations, their jobs, and the situational conditions right.

I suggest you visit your local VFW, explain what you are trying to do, and ask if anyone there might consult with you to make your story believable to someone who has actually served in Asscrackistan.
View Quote
Think I might do just that, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"Confirm Danger Close"

View Quote
CAS without a qualified JTAC is something we actually practice. You better believe I would try to take a shot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
JFO. 13F
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

CAS without a qualified JTAC is something we actually practice. You better believe I would try to take a shot.
View Quote
But you aren't going to monkey stomp a grid with a friendly on it.  Pilots won't underwrite that risk.  This is the whole Platoon scene where they are being over run.

by the time the pilot did the dick dance to cover his ass to ensure his deliberately dropping on blue wasn't going to fuck him, he'd be bingo anyway.

However, if you are working with your company chucks, they do it for you.

Sandy is dead and buried.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
What if he’s the last one alive in the squad/platoon/whatever and they were already coming for the strike. He grabs the radio and tells whoever is on the other end to drop on the smoke that originally was intended to designate their position as friendly?

Edit: @Sylvan dick punched my scenario.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I’d do it for you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

"Confirm Danger Close"

View Quote
“Make the rubble bounce”?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#20]
He would only get the bomb if he didn't tell the aircrew that was his coordinates/position, it would kill him and since its only one dude, they would not drop.

W/O a JTAC it used to be called "emergency CAS" and there are techniques for it., Basically you use plain language instead of a 9 line to see where the bombs need to go, and you start with the smallest and work up..

The only way he would get it if asked, was if he was in a hole of somekind but it would still get offset a few meters and have a delay to reduce the frag, vs a airburst.

You can drop bombs real close to people if they have cover. I've dropped w/n 30 meters (super fucking danger close), but it was on the other side of a ridge and mult had already been killed-complete shitshow
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I was walking down the road thinking the same thing. Afghanistan. Then some dickhead sheriff picked me up for vagrancy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But you aren't going to monkey stomp a grid with a friendly on it.  Pilots won't underwrite that risk.  This is the whole Platoon scene where they are being over run.

by the time the pilot did the dick dance to cover his ass to ensure his deliberately dropping on blue wasn't going to fuck him, he'd be bingo anyway.

However, if you are working with your company chucks, they do it for you.

Sandy is dead and buried.
View Quote
I had a shot recently that took 3 minutes and 30 seconds from initial PID of a bad guy, to him being cut in half from a hellfire. That included a legal sign off, TEA callsign, and a 9L.  And this was an offensive shot, not defensive ROE. Shit can happen quickly when it needs to.

You’re right, I won’t drop a GBU-12 on friendly grid just because he calls for it. But our cameras are pretty awesome, and our hellfires are pretty precise. PID of friendlies and enemies can happen quickly, and defensive ROE is forgiving.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
Its regularly trained on, and done, for lots of Army folks outside of SOCOM.  There are just nowhere near enough JTACs to go around.  "Chariot directs" and such...

I'm with Sylvan though- even if the SGT called everything right and cleared them hot, I doubt an AF pilot would drop on the known friendly position- especially since no bluesuiter was calling it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was walking down the road thinking the same thing. Afghanistan. Then some dickhead sheriff picked me up for vagrancy.
View Quote
Did you explain later how they drew first blood?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#25]
There is a video interviewing these guys somewhere too...

DANGER CLOSE: The Rescue of ODA-525

Combat Zone "Deep Trouble" The Military Channel

Alpha 525 Gulf War Incident
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends on the situation,
Some spc and sgt have had the training, some have familiarized in a sim,
If the tic was a big enough deal to get air and the guy is the last man left and he has coms he would be making the “call” (suggestions to the pilot)
If it was fixed wing,
With rotary wing it’s a little different, as they can asses the situation a little easier,

It could be as complicated as him talking an a10 in on a target using his gps, compass, and the simple cas brief form from the back of a right in the rain note book. Or using actual training he received,
Or it could be as simple as him talking into the radio to an Apache  and saying “you see here that red smoke grenade I just shot out of my m320 went off? Blast the fuck us of that, that’s where the bad guys are”

Or any combination in between

Either way he would be talking into the radio, probably in a fairly calm sounding manner, talking fast,  pscreaming, or worse, both at the same time, do not make for coherent radio communication

I’ve talked apaches onto target using a combination of terrain features and smoke, and once got an a10 lined up using a grid and azimuths,
I wasn’t officially trained for either, and I’m sure a real tacp would have laughed his ass off at me, but the pilots want to help and they want to kill,bad guys too, and if the shit is hitting the fan and you aren’t a fucking moron they are willing to work with you

Also, I was a sgt when both of those happened
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He would only get the bomb if he didn't tell the aircrew that was his coordinates/position, it would kill him and since its only one dude, they would not drop.

W/O a JTAC it used to be called "emergency CAS" and there are techniques for it., Basically you use plain language instead of a 9 line to see where the bombs need to go, and you start with the smallest and work up..

The only way he would get it if asked, was if he was in a hole of somekind but it would still get offset a few meters and have a delay to reduce the frag, vs a airburst.

You can drop bombs real close to people if they have cover. I've dropped w/n 30 meters (super fucking danger close), but it was on the other side of a ridge and mult had already been killed-complete shitshow
View Quote
I think that’s kind of  what I was trying to stress/say
Cas can and has been called for using “plain language”
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Thank you for all the responses so far. Looks like I'm going to have to do a bit of rewriting.

I try to write about what I know, but in this case it could have wound up looking like a, "and then the protagonist cocked his Glock before charging into the building." Sort of situation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Cleared hot! Fuck fuck fuck fuck
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#30]
"Reaper11, you're cleared hot, you're cleared hot, you're cleared hot, any altitude, any direction! You're cleared hot now!"

Fond memory of mine in Afghanistan of a JTAC desperate to kill a Taliban commander we found carrying a recoil-less rifle. Needless to say we got him much to the relief of everyone involved

Emergency CAS is definitely something US forces train to so really not out of the realm of possibility. If I remember correctly in the book Viper Pilot by Dan Hampton, he ended up doing strafing runs doing OIF for a convoy pinned down during a sand storm without a qual'd JTAC?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah my old unit commander got involved. It was a big mess.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Danger close.
View Quote
Danger close? What's that?

danger close (and incorrect) fire mission Generation Kill
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Flight of the Intruder
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Since the character isn't a JTAC he would probably just do a talk-on onto his position  and let the pilot do the rest assuming he is FAC(A) qualified which basically means he can exercise control from within the aircraft to blow shit up.

Grid 12345678 I'm in a canal. Do you see the long North south running wall
"Contact"
I'm where the wall meets the canal in the water
Contact
Ask a question here to make sure the pilot is looking at right area.
Bad dudes in pajamas to 50m East
Tally
Cleared hot

I'm am rusty as all hell but Google "TACP TACSOP"
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9uXLzZyucI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Danger close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9uXLzZyucI
Ah, I Love that scene. I remember when I first saw it, think I was still a teenager.

"Bitch, how can you not know what danger close means!? It's Exactly what it says on the tin!!"
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Title yet?

How about Brokeback Noshaq ?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

"Confirm Danger Close"

View Quote
Pretty much this.

The Army SGT could have been a JFO (Joint Fires Observer) and gotten the drop, but now you’re presuming that the only or maybe one of two JFOs in a battalion was your soul survivor and he’s going to be in your weapons company versus one of the line companies...so a bit of a stretch.

In spite of what people tend to believe, there haven’t been many large scale “battles”/firefights in Iraq or Afghanistan (that I’m aware of) so your premise is flawed IMO.

Better would be a Lone Survivor scenario where a small team gets compromised but then you’d have to make your protagonists SEALS (because Army guys would have handled that situation completely differently) and that story has been told.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

"Confirm Danger Close"

View Quote
SHOT, OUT
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Danger close.
View Quote
That and I am located by the red/violet smoke.

Might not have poped smoke if the enemy was very close though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like an above-average episode of NCIS.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.

The Army SGT could have been a JFO (Joint Fires Observer) and gotten the drop, but now you’re presuming that the only or maybe one of two JFOs in a battalion was your soul survivor and he’s going to be in your weapons company versus one of the line companies...so a bit of a stretch.

In spite of what people tend to believe, there haven’t been many large scale “battles”/firefights in Iraq or Afghanistan (that I’m aware of) so your premise is flawed IMO.

Better would be a Lone Survivor scenario where a small team gets compromised but then you’d have to make your protagonists SEALS (because Army guys would have handled that situation completely differently) and that story has been told.
View Quote
Ah, there have already been enough stories told about the SEALS for my taste. As I said, I'm going to have to do some rewriting.

I believe that I was talking to a good friend about the Lone Survivor movie (he is ex Air Force) and when I described what those guys walked into he said, "that small a force? In where? Doing what!? Oh yeah, pull the other one."

Perhaps we should have a movie night?

That said.

Attachment Attached File

These are two of my more valued possessions. I got the SR71 coin from Brian Schul and the Red Wings coin from the Axelson family shop.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
A company in our BN (Bco 3/504) in April 2003 lost its JTAC in the begging of the firefight. RIP Airman Lazono

Anyone who can send a grid, designate his and the enemies position can call a air strike.

Shit is not rocket science.

Now getting the pilots to do it is another story
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#45]
to heck with bombs make it arty
HE on the deck and pour it on fire for effect repeat
then walk it back chasing them down the mountain
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ah, I Love that scene. I remember when I first saw it, think I was still a teenager.

"Bitch, how can you not know what danger close means!? It's Exactly what it says on the tin!!"
View Quote
First time I saw that scene I literally spit out part of my drink. Then I thought... holy shit this is based off of a real book. I'm sure it was liberal with the truth, but if he was seriously that incompetent...
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
First time I saw that scene I literally spit out part of my drink. Then I thought... holy shit this is based off of a real book. I'm sure it was liberal with the truth, but if he was seriously that incompetent...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Doesn't have the proper grid coordinates."

"For once our asses are going to be saved by incompetence...?"
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thank you for all the responses so far. Looks like I'm going to have to do a bit of rewriting.

I try to write about what I know, but in this case it could have wound up looking like a, "and then the protagonist cocked his Glock before charging into the building." Sort of situation.
View Quote
In your hypothetical situation, the dead JTAC was most likely already up on comms with any players in his stack. A likely stack would be a scan eagle, a 2-ship of F-16s, and an MQ-9. Possibly an Apache, possibly a 2-ship of A-10s.

I imagine that this scenario would not pop up out of the blue. Most likely, all air assets would be watching/monitoring/engaging in the developing situation. They would be talking to the JTAC, providing whatever he needed. Whether that was scans in advance of friendly forces, or kinetic support of a TIC, the guys in the air would have a pretty good idea of what was going on, where the good guys were, and where the bad guys were.  When blue forces are on the move in proximity with the enemy, they try and be very good about updating their position. It would either be in MGRS or via a numbered building system.

If an emergency CAS situation developed, you would expect the air asset with the most situational awareness to take control. It is most likely going to be an MQ-9 if you have one. Sorry. The information I would need would be the specific location of the lone friendly, followed by some confirmatory comms. The soldier may have a 10 digit grid to pass, or he may only know he is in the house on the southwest corner of an intersection with a white pickup out front. Regardless, I’m going to try and get eyes on his location, and then verify it is a friendly location.

Then I need to know estimated bearing and distance of enemy fire, and I’m going to find them, and I’m going to kill them. Muzzle flashes stand out really well in IR.

This literally could take 60 sec, or it might not happen at all before the last friendly is killed. But for me to take a shot in this situation I would need 3 things: PID of friendlies, PID of enemies, and a call for fires.

Don’t listen to the guys who say the AF is too worried about covering their ass to take this shot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#49]
"Don’t listen to the guys who say the AF is too worried about covering their ass to take this shot."

This is actually the major theme of both characters respective story arcs.

Thank you. Since there is no hug emoji I suppose I'm going to have to use this one. No homo.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Me: Hi Pilot. How is your day. Mine could be better. "Taking contact from a building, 600m, 2400mils from my last FLOT"
Pilot: What's that heading in degrees?
Me: Fuck man, you're the one sitting in the multi million dollar flying computer. Figure it out or clear the fuck out of the air space and we'll shoot the mission ourselves.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top