BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Before World War 2 the numbers were reversed- Colt owned the police market. After the war S&W had a new president who aggressively went after the police market and by the 70's dominated it.
View Quote
S&W had pretty aggressive discounts and preferences for police sales. I got a 50% discount from a police distributor with a police ID back in the late 70’s. Colt probably had 15% on what were more expensive guns at the time.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We made $8400 a year and had to buy everything except the three short sleeve shirts, 3 pair of pants and a bus driver hat the city issued us.  If you wanted long sleeve shirts, a coat, a raincoat you bought that shit yourself.
Back then a Python NIB cost a helluva lot more than a Model 19.  A Python cost more than a months salary.  We coveted Pythons, but I RARELY saw one in a duty holster.   A couple of the guys had Diamondbacks, but if they had a Colt it was likely a Trooper.
View Quote
Or a Colt Lawman, which was a lower production cost Trooper.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Such wonderful worls of art.

Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a MKIII Trooper that has seen an estimated 100K rounds of basically hot .38 special loads shooting metal silho.   Never missed a beat.  The trigger has been adjusted so that it will not function as a DA, but that results in a super sweet SA trigger pull.  Far better trigger than my Dan W.

And, I have matching Troopers in 22lr and 22 mag (although the 22 mag is in electo. nickle.)  The 22lr. version of the Trooper with a long barrel is simply a joy to shoot in metal silho.

WTF happened to deep blue? I love that finish, but so many of the modern blued guns just pale in comparison.  Mfger's need to bring back the deep blue.
View Quote
Never going to happen, that deep dark beautiful blue was the finishing and polishing of the steel before they ever saw a bluing tank. That took time and years of training to NOT round off flats and make wavy lines on frames and barrels while finishing off the firearm exactly.

Few people are willing to spend an extra couple hundred bucks for that finishing expertise anymore.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What did you prefer in the 19 over the 686?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree with pretty much OPs post, having worked deputy reserve in the late 70s to the very early 90s.  
Having said that, my personal preference (having owned and shot both) is for the 4" versions.  Model 19 4" NIB was my first .357 Magum, bought for the princely sum of $104 and change in `74 IIRC.  Wish I still had it.  I carried a Model 28 and later a 686 while on the department, though.
The 19 is, for the lack of better words, more svelte than the 686.  The 28 is a tank.  The 686 is a little of both.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The 19 is, for the lack of better words, more svelte than the 686.  The 28 is a tank.  The 686 is a little of both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree with pretty much OPs post, having worked deputy reserve in the late 70s to the very early 90s.  
Having said that, my personal preference (having owned and shot both) is for the 4" versions.  Model 19 4" NIB was my first .357 Magum, bought for the princely sum of $104 and change in `74 IIRC.  Wish I still had it.  I carried a Model 28 and later a 686 while on the department, though.
Pretty good description.   The L frame to me is the K frame grip and near K frame trigger reach with a bigger beefier frame opening.  And they share the same grips so that part is the same indeed.

I like the N frame and registered magnum but they’re just too big for my hand.   An old coworker has a papered registered magnum.  Cool looking gun.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#7]
To me, the K Frame is the perfect size duty revolver. The L Frame while a stronger gun. It just a tad heavier and bulky. I like the L Frames and N Frames. But they have different roles.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
To me, the K Frame is the perfect size duty revolver. The L Frame while a stronger gun. It just a tad heavier and bulky. I like the L Frames and N Frames. But they have different roles.
View Quote
I keep looking to pick up a m28-2. I have an Elpasso saddlery Threepersons N frame holster that needs filling.

Or maybe a Mountain gun. There's something about large frame, tapered barrel guns for woods bumming, sitting around fires, etc.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I keep looking to pick up a m28-2. I have an Elpasso saddlery Threepersons N frame holster that needs filling.

Or maybe a Mountain gun. There's something about large frame, tapered barrel guns for woods bumming, sitting around fires, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

N Frames are fun, especially six inchers.... my 25-3 in .45 Colt screams Open Range, camping under the stars, and keeping highwaymen at bay.

(Not my picture, but mine is just like it)
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:07:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Make mine a 686

I really like my 19, but the 686 was my first love.

Link Posted: 7/18/2019 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Might be getting a 6" 66-1
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nice, robbing another little ole lady?
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I proudly own Colt .357 #50xx in 4".  Its a neat .357 you don't see very often.  It is noticeably smaller and lighter than my S&W mod 28 and has an even better trigger.  I wanted a snake gun, but when I stumbled over the .357 at a really good price I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:34:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I proudly own Colt .357 #50xx in 4".  Its a neat .357 you don't see very often.  It is noticeably smaller and lighter than my S&W mod 28 and has an even better trigger.  I wanted a snake gun, but when I stumbled over the .357 at a really good price I couldn't resist.
View Quote
Damn good gun. Cheaper Than Dirt did a good article on them.

Range Report: The Colt .357
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:22:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://media.giphy.com/media/y7kvOYLzas6Ag/giphy.gif

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/media/tnYri4n2Frnig/giphy.gif
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Not much to add but a pic. Old school M&P duty gun of a relative that worked Pittsburgh PD. I have an identical one with 6" barrel too. Apparently the chroming was a thing for awhile

http://imgur.com/a/J0OHYTO
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn good gun. Cheaper Than Dirt did a good article on them.

https://i2.wp.com/blog.cheaperthandirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/c357-2.jpg?w=1350&ssl=1

Range Report: The Colt .357
I passed on a trooper 10 years ago. I don't remember why but I do regret that decision
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a 13-1.  I believe it was the issue gun for the FBI for a time.  Simple, smooth, and plenty accurate.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a 13-1.  I believe it was the issue gun for the FBI for a time.  Simple, smooth, and plenty accurate.
View Quote
@Taboot, get it papered from Roy Jinks if it is a legit FBI gun. They've rare as hell.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File
"an elegant weapon of a more civilized age."
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@Taboot, get it papered from Roy Jinks if it is a legit FBI gun. They've rare as hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think it is.  Square butt and 4 or 5" barrel.   I believe the FBI guns were round butt and 3" barrel.   Thanks though!
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't think it is.  Square butt and 4 or 5" barrel.   I believe the FBI guns were round butt and 3" barrel.   Thanks though!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, they were 3" RB guns.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Love those big wood target stocks on the Python and S&W revolvers.  I always hated those skinny ones.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
I wish mine was a 6" barrel but it was the first one I had ever seen for a reasonable price so I jumped on the 4".  It balances really nicely so the 6" may have been a little muzzle heavy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I wish mine was a 6" barrel but it was the first one I had ever seen for a reasonable price so I jumped on the 4".  It balances really nicely so the 6" may have been a little muzzle heavy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'd like a 4" Colt .357. Good guns and that's what led to the development of the Python.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I've had this old Model 29 for thirty odd years. Shoot it regularly in competition with .44 Special loads. I'll be carrying it, with 305 gr. hard cast flat point handloads, on a backpack trip into the Thorofare in a couple weeks. I love it, although my main competition revolver is a 686. You can do wonderful things with a S&W trigger:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd like a 4" Colt .357. Good guns and that's what led to the development of the Python.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt .357

I've been hankering for this since it was posted but just can't justify it right now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed.

Duty or carry gun K FRAME!

Game gun for maximum round count, L frame.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read his post as he was saying same as issued but not necessarily FBI carry provenance
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Colt .357

I've been hankering for this since it was posted but just can't justify it right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt .357

Too rich for my blood. I don't have discretionary funds at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt .357

Same here. Just gave my son a $250 M64 for his first birthday the other day.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Colt .357

View Quote
Here's mine:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Target grips and hammer.  Some finish wear at the muzzle and on the cylinder.  I was lucky enough to get it for less than the one you posted.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#35]
While we're on the subject of barrel length and revolvers of another age, perhaps somebody could explain the three-inch Detective Special to me.  I like the gun a lot, but don't understand who the intended market was.  Kind of big for concealment and hardly a snub nose, but rather small for a belt gun.

Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Let's not forget the Colt and S&W revolvers that served in WW-2 and afterwards both stateside and overseas.....Many of the Colt Commando (Official Police) and Victory Model (pre-model 10 M&P) revolvers saw use in PDs when they were surplused-off.

1943 Colt Commando with issue holster.

Attachment Attached File

1943 US Navy marked/issued Victory Model w/named USN Boyt '43 M3 holster.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Old School Lawman......S&W 1917 45acp

Link Posted: 7/19/2019 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
While we're on the subject of barrel length and revolvers of another age, perhaps somebody could explain the three-inch Detective Special to me.  I like the gun a lot, but don't understand who the intended market was.  Kind of big for concealment and hardly a snub nose, but rather small for a belt gun.

https://i.imgur.com/vTSU4RUh.jpg
View Quote
Plainclothes cops. A 3" gun is the magic sweet spot for a duty wheel gunthat can be concealed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Let's not forget the Colt and S&W revolvers that served in WW-2 and afterwards both stateside and overseas.....Many of the Colt Commando (Official Police) and Victory Model (pre-model 10 M&P) revolvers saw use in PDs when they were surplused-off.

1943 Colt Commando with issue holster.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/DSCN9024__2__JPG-1022111.JPG

1943 US Navy marked/issued Victory Model w/named USN Boyt '43 M3 holster.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/DSCN9025__2__JPG-1022115.JPG
View Quote
Oh yeah, after WWII. A TON of those guns went into police holsters across the US and S&W especially saw service up to the early 90s in a number of circles in the US Military.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Old School Lawman......S&W 1917 45acp

https://i.imgur.com/NsY0B9R.jpg
View Quote
I can smell the camp smoke and hear the yotes from that pic.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I started carrying a Model 66 I wasn't old enough to buy, my Daddy had to buy my first duty gun.
I worked with guys that carried Colts and guys who carried Smiths.  Smith guys loved their Smiths, the Colt guys always loved their Colts.  
People on the internet talk about them like a K frame would shatter into a million pieces if you fired a dozen or so 357 mag loads in them, simply not true.  I shot K frame magnums with handloads, factory loads, both 38 and 357 and never ever shot one loose.
Back in the day we had to buy our own ammo, and we all carried some form of Super Vels 125 grn or similar magnum load.  Winchester developed Black Talon and most of the guys I worked with switched to those.
Most of us carried a J frame backup, I never saw a Colt Cobra or similar as a backup gun.  They were J frames or sometimes PPKs or similar type small autoloader.  
Long guns were Ithaca and Remington shotguns, M1 Carbines and clones and lever action 30-30s.  
KTW came out with their "armor piercing" ammo and a lot of us carried it either in a speed loader or in the handgun itself in case we had to shoot through a car door (a more popular occurrence then than it is now, shooting at cars didn't really "count" back then)...
L frame guns were heavier and at least around here never as popular as K frames.....

Just some random thoughts on police revolvers "back in the day'
View Quote
This was my experience too, but I did carry a Colt Cobra with a bobbed hammer in my support side pocket. My first police job we had an M1 carbine with 30 round mags and my second job we always had a 12 ga 870 in the car. My duty carry gun was a model 66 no dash with 158 grain .357 loads.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Here's mine:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/464752/357_left_resized_-_Copy_jpg-1022050.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/464752/357_right_resized_-_Copy_jpg-1022051.JPG

Target grips and hammer.  Some finish wear at the muzzle and on the cylinder.  I was lucky enough to get it for less than the one you posted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt .357

Here's mine:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/464752/357_left_resized_-_Copy_jpg-1022050.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/464752/357_right_resized_-_Copy_jpg-1022051.JPG

Love thoughs lines
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Here's mine:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt .357

Here's mine:

That's sexy!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top