BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do any other countries have/had a plane set up for the same role?
View Quote
The C-47 version was obviosly the original. Then the AC-119 held on in Viet Nam. But Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton had some guys named Col. Ron Terry and Col Jim Krause who were instrumental in getting the platform pulled together. Original one had Simger-Kearfott INS with regular gyros for navigation and target marking. They could mark a target, fly for an hour and come back and fire without powering up sensors, in 1970. Pretty amazing stuff. Heroes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My uncle was a 130 pilot.  When I was about 15, I got to watch a firepower demonstration.  It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
View Quote
The coolest thing to me, is that upon launch... That's a lot of hate.

We're still upgrading these guys.

New hate will be way more effective.

I realize a lot of these birds get deducted to SF operations or defensive operations. Not things that will make the papers.

But they're out there. They're being used, and they are wrecking fucking shop
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
MC-27J Praetorian is the only one I know of. I don't think it's in operation yet.

https://www.airforce-technology.com/news/newsitalys-mc-27j-aircraft-completes-first-phase-of-ground-and-flight-testing-4319964/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I get a raging freedom boner when I think of gunships.

It becomes a diamond cutter when I imagine what a hypothetical AC-17 gunship, built on a C-17, might be capable of if outfitted by someone who is adequately deranged.

I want to see that made!

Boeing's concept of the 747 based Cruise Missile Carrier Aircraft makes me positively light headed.

Now expand on that concept with plenty of air-to-air missile capability for various offensive and defensive requirements,  plus an airborne version of the CIWS point defense system, and things get VERY interesting.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The left handed middle finger of death!
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We should make an AC5.
View Quote
The c5 can do something far more destructive.

C-5 Galaxy Minuteman ICBM Drop Test
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Subscribed so I can read when I get a chance, OP.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I sleep well at night with the sounds of Spectre night gunnery in the background.

The sounds of FREEEEDOMMMMMM!
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:54:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I miss nose art...

https://i.imgur.com/ZIzRmHwl.jpg
View Quote
I liked this one.lol

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Colombia has some ancient airframes doing gunship things.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Puff The Magic Dragon,
Bird of days long gone.
Came to fly in the evening skies
In the land called Vietnam.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:33:03 AM EDT
[#13]
No doubt. The in laws live near Hurlburt Field and we got out on the boat in the sound adjacent to the strip and watch them do touch and go landings right above us. And at night you can hear them flying over low and the range is not far because the ground shakes in Fort Walton when they are obviously dropping ordnance.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I like this thread.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:46:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seems we may have run into each other back then.  Do you remember how many times they spotted two suspicious heat signatures just inside the wire?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're especially awesome when you're the assistant brigade fire support NCO, in charge of the night shift, at Kandahar Airfield in March 2002 and they're flying overhead, providing cover for the base because you're under constant threat of rocket attack and the vast majority of your organic fire support assets are up in the Shah-I-Kot Valley for Operation Anaconda.
Seems we may have run into each other back then.  Do you remember how many times they spotted two suspicious heat signatures just inside the wire?
@Twitchy

I remember walking out of my tent one night, en route to the BDE TOC, and seeing the QRF drive past me in a rush. When I got to the TOC, I asked WTF was going on. I was told the AC-130 had spotted a couple of odd heat signatures down by the ammo dump and QRF went to investigate. It turned out to be the dude on guard duty had convinced his girlfriend that they could bump uglies during his shift and nobody would catch them. Well, someone caught them. As I understood it, there was an interesting video from the Spectre being passed around Camp Doha.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@Twitchy

I remember walking out of my tent one night, en route to the BDE TOC, and seeing the QRF drive past me in a rush. When I got to the TOC, I asked WTF was going on. I was told the AC-130 had spotted a couple of odd heat signatures down by the ammo dump and QRF went to investigate. It turned out to be the dude on guard duty had convinced his girlfriend that they could bump uglies during his shift and nobody would catch them. Well, someone caught them. As I understood it, there was an interesting video from the Spectre being passed around Camp Doha.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#18]
One of my favorite planes. It's huge and kicks asses.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I was just looking at the Jordanian Air Force's wiki page and found this. I had no idea that there was an AC-235 too

SOFEX 2014 ATK AC-235 Light Gunship
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I still want to know if the Greyhound could haul enough side-mounted guns to make the AC-2 Hellhound carrier-borne gunship viable.

The C-2 is getting pushed out of the COD mission by V-22 anyway, isn’t it?

SOCOM CAS and vessel-in-port defense seems a good mission for a Mini-Specter.
View Quote
just looked this up... what a neat plane/capability to have on a carrier... do they still manufacture these things?

why not both?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was just looking at the Jordanian Air Force's wiki page and found this. I had no idea that there was an AC-235 too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyNfkdWzqA0
View Quote
Lol, I'm digging the little helicopter wings.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top