Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]
My house has signs and stickers all over it.

Got broken into anyways.

Alarm did help catch the guy, so that was nice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:18:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suggest having a real system, but using signs from another company. It makes it more difficult to try and gameplan your security if a criminal is so inclined.
View Quote

Wow. You have thought this out.

Never had an issue with burglaries or home invasions. I don't know if I am lucky or the bad guys are scared of my dogs who are quite fierce when a window seperates them from the bad guy.

Back to the OP question: If I was a criminal, I would tend to not choose houses with signs, but bad guys do tend to be more stupid.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:19:40 AM EDT
[#3]
DPD takes like an hour to respond on 911 calls.  I could kick in the door, and take everything of value.  Go to the pawn shop, and the cops would still be down the street eating donuts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In college I worked doing construction demolition in the summers.  I worked with a guy who had done time for B&E and burglary.  He said that the signs just told him which type of security system he had to study and learn how to bypass and disable.  Other than that, they weren't a deterrent at all.
View Quote

That does take time. While he is messing with my system the popo are on the way and the neighbors are looking outside
to see what is going on.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I was about 13 when our neighbor across the street came over because she'd accidentally locked herself out of the house. My mom sent me over to help.

It took less than 5 minutes to get into the house and open the front door.

IMO, one of the best strategys is to observe your neighbor's homes, then do everything you can to make your house look like a less inviting target than theirs.

Pros are going to hit the house they want. Kids and junkies are going to hit the house that looks the easiest.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:21:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I encourage wasps to nest in my bushes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd rather not give a heads up to my security situation.  Let the fuckers be surprised.
View Quote

+1.......those signs just give them a heads up to cut the phone line on the way in....course, we have wireless monitoring to circumvent that, but still...
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sounds like he should have spent less time playing Ocean's 11 and more time breaking into houses without ADT...

Seriously though, I would think most lowlifes are going to go for the easy mark - not the house that automatically notifies the owner and calls the police in the event of a break-in.  If you really want to drive the point home you could leave a bunch of spent casings on your window sill, get a big dog, and dig a couple 6' deep holes in the front lawn with a sign that says "Space available, inquire within".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In college I worked doing construction demolition in the summers.  I worked with a guy who had done time for B&E and burglary.  He said that the signs just told him which type of security system he had to study and learn how to bypass and disable.  Other than that, they weren't a deterrent at all.

Sounds like he should have spent less time playing Ocean's 11 and more time breaking into houses without ADT...

Seriously though, I would think most lowlifes are going to go for the easy mark - not the house that automatically notifies the owner and calls the police in the event of a break-in.  If you really want to drive the point home you could leave a bunch of spent casings on your window sill, get a big dog, and dig a couple 6' deep holes in the front lawn with a sign that says "Space available, inquire within".

How about some crime scene tape and a blood stain?

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:24:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does it help?  Maybe.

Does it hurt? No.

A normal dumb thief would see that sign and probably hit another house.  

A pro will know that the best response time by police will be around 10 minutes from the time an alarm is tripped.  They can be in and out in under 5.
View Quote

ADT pulse....instant notification to owner who can view video.

Then owner can call 911.....trust me, the cavalry is coming if you can confirm it is a legit burglary. In my jurisdiction alarms are 99.97% false....yes, that's a real stat compiled from responses.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I put up a camera system and made no attempts to conceal them.  You'll see a camera as you approach the house, by then you're being recorded.  The camera at the front door always gets good face shots.  People that come to the front door always stare right into the camera with the "Hmmm...what's this?" look.  Wires are all hidden, run to a hidden DVR.  The dvr is connected to a remote AV relay so I can then connect a reciever to any TV within 150ft and watch and control the cameras/dvr.

I find it somewhat disturbing how my random people come to the door, ring the door bell...wait.  Then start peeking in the window on the door.  They seem to straighten up and be more polite once they see the camera.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:28:56 AM EDT
[#12]
We have a sign and a system too.  I know some people put up just the sign as a deterrent but with the cost of systems these days, it really is worth while to go the whole way.  We have been through two burglaries (two different homes) before the security system.   I won't go without one now.  

The system we have now has alarms on every point of entry, which chime whenever anything opens and announces exactly where (I.e front door, bathroom window, basement door, etc).

One feature, which I was not too keen on but am starting to appreciate is the listening ability.  

If the alarm goes off, the monitoring system can listen to what is going on, which ultimately could be important if anything were to go to trial.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:29:03 AM EDT
[#13]
It couldn't hurt, and might help. Yes, some criminals might not care, but most are just looking for the path of least resistance.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#14]
i steal ADT signs..
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:34:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I noticed a couple houses on the way to work this morning that had the familiar blue ADT signs up by their front doors and windows. I can't help but think that a pretty good percentage of these homes don't actually have ADT protection, outside of the protection that the signs alone might provide.

Curious to hear ARfcom's thoughts on doing this sort of thing.
View Quote

Can't hurt, can it?

And the signs are the most effective part of an ADT system, says a long time ADT customer who now uses cameras/VPN to verify false alarms before allowing ADT to contact the po-po.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:36:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was about 13 when our neighbor across the street came over because she'd accidentally locked herself out of the house. My mom sent me over to help.

It took less than 5 minutes to get into the house and open the front door.

IMO, one of the best strategys is to observe your neighbor's homes, then do everything you can to make your house look like a less inviting target than theirs.

Pros are going to hit the house they want. Kids and junkies are going to hit the house that looks the easiest.
View Quote

Yup. We had some amateur kids (17-19-year-olds) kicking in the back doors in my neighborhood a couple years ago. Cheap builder grade locks and strike plates made that an easy chore. I never found any evidence that they tried mine (maybe because of the 90 pound dog barking at them) but ... heavier plates screwed all the way into the framing are a good, basic step.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Never had an issue with burglaries or home invasions. I don't know if I am lucky or the bad guys are scared of my dogs who are quite fierce when a window seperates them from the bad guy.

Back to the OP question: If I was a criminal, I would tend to not choose houses with signs, but bad guys do tend to be more stupid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suggest having a real system, but using signs from another company. It makes it more difficult to try and gameplan your security if a criminal is so inclined.

Never had a problem personally, but considering my profession is information security, all sorts of security things do interest me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Does it help?  Maybe.

Does it hurt? No.

A pro will know that the best response time by police will be around 10 minutes from the time an alarm is tripped.  They can be in and out in under 5.
View Quote

They aren't getting in my safe in 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#19]
The power of suggestion can be successful. Put yourself in the thiefs shoes. You want it to be easy, quick and safe for YOU. You see the signs. You move along to a more easily accessible opportunity!
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I have ADT.

I put out the signs and have not had any incidents.

My house was being cased by somebody who placed 3 gravels on top of each dear tire of a truck I didnt drive often

3 one each tire, in a row.  They were not stuck in the tread.. the were placed neatly in a row.

I replaced the stones with 3 AK rounds.

Called ADT, and advised all the folks in my hood wht was going on.

No trouble since.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Those knuckleheads were going door to door selling the systems a while back.  When I told him my alarm system was 120+ combined pounds of fur and teeth coupled with a pissed off wife with a .357 he knew it was a no sale.  I would think the patrol car in the driveway might be a deterrent to.  He then wanted to give me a couple of signs to put in the yard to help them "advertise" their system.  I gladly declined since I knew he would use that to sell to others in the neighborhood and I didn't want to be his puppet.  Looking back it couldn't have hurt to take them just in case.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For 500$ you can install your own, with your own sensors, and monitor it yourself.

I have added 4 cameras and have signs from 3 different alarm systems and three dogs.
Two who would attack and make someone suffer.

Good luck getting in and out.
View Quote

my neighbor is an alarm/security installer guy...and he's told me this as well....
he's got his house rigged up, and *when i have the $500* will be getting mine done as well.....right now, i've got a couple cameras hooked into an old vhs recorder...

his advice was, install as many HD cameras as you want - wireless even, if you want.
he has them all set up on his home pc, with some sort of software for viewing...then he has a third party monitoring system similar to an ADT type place, but he also has an app on his phone that lets him see all the cameras, view the security panel codes, arm/disarm the system - all from his phone...
he says it's $30/mo for the monitoring
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I noticed a couple houses on the way to work this morning that had the familiar blue ADT signs up by their front doors and windows. I can't help but think that a pretty good percentage of these homes don't actually have ADT protection, outside of the protection that the signs alone might provide.

View Quote

I have ADT signs.  I have an alarm.  It pages me and I respond faster than the cops.    Assumption is the mother of fail.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have ADT.

My house was being cased by somebody who placed 3 gravels on top of each dear tire of a truck I didnt drive often

3 one each tire, in a row.  They were not stuck in the tread.. the were placed neatly in a row.

No trouble since.
View Quote

AWESOME!!! I bet the thief was like "Oh fuck that shit!" when he saw those rounds sitting there lol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Path of least resistance.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a few cameras that are hard to miss, I think they have helped the most. Not that a camera will stop someone but I think most thiefs would want to avoid them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

AWESOME!!! I bet the thief was like "Oh fuck that shit!" when he saw those rounds sitting there lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have ADT.

No trouble since.

I saw some guy casing my house when I was growing up, sneaking around the back along the wall in very cliche fashion at night. I was probably 12 or 13, but this was back in the days when toy guns looked REAL and had functioning magazines and slides.

I picked out a very nice, full scale replica of a Beretta M9, backlit myself in a window above the guy, and racked the slide. He got a deer in the headlights look and vaulted over the small patio wall in my backyard and took off like a lightning bolt. If you've ever seen the movie "A Christmas Story," it was like the scene where Ralphie was dreaming about shooting Black Bart's posse, and they vaulted over the fence to escape.

Cops showed up, looked around, and laughed when I told them what I did. Good times.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Around here they used to shoot your window out with a BB gun from a hidden place then wait to see if an alarm went off or anyone responded if you had the signs in your yard and they really wanted to rob your house.

Also, not sure this is still applicable, but tapping on an alarmed window in a certain way used to set off the alarm.  After about 12 false alarms over the course of a night or two most homeowners will shut them off after the wife complains enough.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Put on gates. Make sure at least one outdoor ball camera is visible when they look up from that.
View Quote

I have one at the end of my 500+ foot driveway.  Gives anyone a long time to think about it before they get to the house.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I leave the light on in the living room, the front door wide open, and $500.00 cash on the coffee table. The only problem I've had was when the game warden fined me for hunting a baited field.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Saw and AMA with a guy who was a burglar for many years.  

He claimed the signs worked.  It was better to just pass the houses by and go to one that didn't have them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed here. I've read the other "burglarized" threads that pop up on ARFCOM from time to time.

Basically, the rough summary is:

No Alarm System: Burglar, whether he's pro or amateur can have the run of your house for up to several HOURS, meaning your house will be trashed if they make a serious, systematic search for valuables. Even secured valuables are prone to theft -- they can just rip a wall safe out and take it with them to pick apart at their leisure. Plus, all that time can be used to take recon -- oh hey, this guy has a gun safe, a good quality one bolted to the floor in the basement! Make a note of that for the next visit, or maybe I can sell that information to a break-in crew I know...

Alarm System: A lot of inexperienced amateurs will bypass your house for a easier one to hit. The more experienced burglars will simply kick in your door, grab the first thing that's easily pocketable or grabbable with a high enough cash value and make a run for it, so they can be out of the target area before the cops show up -- basically, you'd come home to find your TV or laptop missing, but they wouldn't have had the time to systematically search your house for valuables or reconnoiter it.

There's a third grade of thief -- the professional break-in crew who can disable alarms and other stuff -- but generally these guys only hit the houses where they can ascertain that the risk/reward ratio is better than unity - e.g. they won't hit the ADT alarmed house with a mud spattered Toyota Tundra outside, but they'll hit the ADT alarmed house with a fairly new model Jaguar outside.

How well did I do, ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Once the claymores go off, I don't think the ADT signs will be of much use.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

APBT works better
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#38]
I worried about security and then got 2 dogs. Now the yutes run when they see my older Aussie out front. He won't leave the yard, but sounds like a hell hound.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There's no sign on my property for exactly that reason.

And besides, what those signs actually say is " cut my phone line".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rather not give a heads up to my security situation.  Let the fuckers be surprised.

Cell backup.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Cell backup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cell backup.

On my system it will be cell primary.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I have them because the whole block has them, I don't want to be the one without them
View Quote
Yup.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Signs? Alarms? Meh. That's old school. We new school. I just arranged my house to funnel home invaders into a kill-zone with water-resistant & stain-proof wall paint, and plastic stain-resistant flooring and a drain.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#43]
The county that I live in requires you to display a security permit sticker if you have an alarm.  So if a criminal were questioning the validity of the sign they just look at the window nearest the door for the permit sticker.  Just another way for the gubment to make money off of us...
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Maybe I'm the only one here, but my monitored system runs over air via repeater. No wires, no phone needed. It's a pretty cool setup.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top