Yeah wish i hadn’t sold mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
zastava m92

The older Zastava M92s were not heat treated properly, resulting in a soft receiver.   The recoil would cause the trigger/hammer pins to eggshell out their holes in a relatively short time.   Jim Fuller made a video about this and I think RegularGuyTraining did as well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah, you definitely want the version that shoots a round that loses massive amounts of performance from a short barrel.
View Quote

Bro. Its an AK. Its an AK pistol. If he wanted a practical gun we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm just here for the ghetto Draco pictures.
View Quote
My co pilot anytime I went into Philly during the summer of love

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
zastava m92
View Quote

This.  I call it my money to noise converter.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My co pilot anytime I went into Philly during the summer of love

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/104619/20200622_165445_jpg-2535116.JPG
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Damn they are beautiful. I don’t know what it is about AKs they just have a feel to them that not many others have.
Thank you everyone
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh awesome, does it also suppress well? I know regular sized AKs usually don’t suppress great
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

7.62x39 performs very well out of short barrels. Much better than 5.56

Oh awesome, does it also suppress well? I know regular sized AKs usually don’t suppress great

Shorter barrel AK will not suppress well.   It also doesnt help that there are usually issues with thread concentricity and overseas models.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Atlantic Firearms has several flavors in stock right now. The biggest issue is going to be how you attach a stock once you SBR it. Some are threaded for a buffer tube, the Jack has an underfolder trunnion installed but not drilled, etc... That's what I'd be looking at.
View Quote

In my full sized Draco, I had the factory blank/pistol rear trunion swapped out for a std  AKM fixed stock rear trunion. This has allowed me to swap between wood/poly fixed stocks, Rom/Pol/EG wire folders, and Magpul Zhukov side folders. Not to my style but, there are adapter that would allow installation of AR style tele-stocks.

No the fanciest option but, offers a lot of flexibility.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In my full sized Draco, I had the factory blank/pistol rear trunion swapped out for a std  AKM fixed stock rear trinion. This has allowed me to swap between wood/poly fixed stocks, Rom/Pol/EG wire folders, and Magpul Zhukov side folders. Not to my style but, there are adapter that would allow installation of AR style tele-stocks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Atlantic Firearms has several flavors in stock right now. The biggest issue is going to be how you attach a stock once you SBR it. Some are threaded for a buffer tube, the Jack has an underfolder trunnion installed but not drilled, etc... That's what I'd be looking at.

In my full sized Draco, I had the factory blank/pistol rear trunion swapped out for a std  AKM fixed stock rear trinion. This has allowed me to swap between wood/poly fixed stocks, Rom/Pol/EG wire folders, and Magpul Zhukov side folders. Not to my style but, there are adapter that would allow installation of AR style tele-stocks.

In my pic above of my pap I used a bolt on stock adapter for the US Machinegun stock. It was easy to install and had been absolutely rock solid. I have been made fun of for using a bolt on adapter. But it was easy and works very very well. So I don't care.

Draco
https://www.usmachinegun.com/proddetail.php?prod=AKU-DRFS

PAP
https://www.usmachinegun.com/proddetail.php?prod=M92-BFA92
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#11]

This.

Thread.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I'm kind of partial to the Polish AK pistols.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
zastava m92

Me too :(

My biggest gun regret.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in the Draco (Romy, Polish WBP Jack, or PSA) or VZ-58 camp, they're more accurate than the Zastava IME. Mostly I just prefer the ~12" look and performance (velocity only has a tiny drop from 16") tho

If you go for a century Draco make sure it's a true Romanian. Century started marketing some of their shitty US made AK pistols under the same name. The WBP has a *very* good build quality + finish and also has a factory side rail optic mount.

Oh and if you end up going Draco it is required to get a dong for it
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had an 'older' Zastava M92 from a few years ago (not anything that is currently made/imported as far as I know), the top cover was a wobbly piece of shit that made aiming worthless and the front trunnion (where the top cover hinge connected into) was so crooked to the point that the gas piston heavily grinded into it every time it moved.  

Soured my opinion on those forever.
View Quote

Sucks. I think you got an outlier. I have a pic rail installed on the top cover of mine with a PA micro and it holds zero fine. This is a common setup on the M92s and most people don't have any problem.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#16]

What brace is that? Does it require an adapter?

Can it be fired folded? Thx.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What brace is that? Does it require an adapter?

Can it be fired folded? Thx.
View Quote

Both are CNC Warrior braces.  No adapter needed, but a hole needed to be drilled in the rear trunnion.  Both fold left and will fire folded.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you everyone
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there someone you all could recommend to change the rear trunnion out?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Always wanted a mini Draco but I felt dirty enough for paying what I did for my saigas.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

better than 5.45 by far in my opinion.

little bullets are very reliant on speed to do the job and when the barrel is short you lose too much speed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So 7.62x 39? How does it perform out of such a short barrel?

better than 5.45 by far in my opinion.

little bullets are very reliant on speed to do the job and when the barrel is short you lose too much speed.

Ayup.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#24]
SBRd my PAP92 with a triangle sidefolder. One of my favorite guns.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I love my Draco, light, accurate and all commie built, no dremel monkeys from Century have touched it..
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you everyone sounds like 7.62 is the best bet for now. Ill hopefully be able to pick one up this weekend if they left me leave salt lake haha
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#27]
where da dracos at?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is there someone you all could recommend to change the rear trunnion out?
View Quote

Matt Yeamans( MY guns NW/ Turbothis) was my favorite a la carte ak gunsmith. He offered just about anything except refinishing. Looks like he may be rebuilding his operation at the moment. My experience with him was 100% over about 6 firearm projects.

My Draco SBR kitted out in mostly East German trim.
" />
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Matt Yeamans( MY guns NW/ Turbothis) was my favorite a la carte ak gunsmith. He offered just about anything except refinishing. Looks like he may be rebuilding his operation at the moment. My experience with him was 100% over about 6 firearm projects.

My Draco SBR kitted out in mostly East German trim.
https://i.imgur.com/zYmwGbS.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/zYmwGbS.jpg
View Quote

Awesome thank you and that thing is beautiful!
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I love my Draco, light, accurate and all commie built, no dremel monkeys from Century have touched it..
View Quote

This. IIRC they are basically an unfinished AIM R.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I built my own on a NoDak receiver, back when this was the only way to get an AK pistol. I used a Romy G parts kit. Cut down the barrel, gas piston, and gas tube. 10.5" barrel. I put a '74 brake (real, not a cheap 922r copy) on it, bored out for the 7.62 projectiles and was amazed at how effective it is. Easily my most favorite AK.

Beware, firing an AK pistol with a brake, without ear pro WILL rupture eardrums. Just ask my dumbass ex wife...
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#32]
PSA akp is a blaster

Add an echo trigger
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Shorter barrel AK will not suppress well.   It also doesnt help that there are usually issues with thread concentricity and overseas models.
View Quote

No issues with my Zastava. Recent manufacture. Had to buy a $45 adapter,  but works fine. Still quieter without suppressor. Little gassy, but there are some cheap tricks for that too
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No issues with my Zastava. Recent manufacture. Had to buy a $45 adapter,  but works fine. Still quieter without suppressor. Little gassy, but there are some cheap tricks for that too
View Quote

Like what?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Same here. I can’t even remember why I sold it, but it was a dumb decision.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58346/0C19CC3B-380E-472B-913D-782F72E5D32E_jpe-2534963.JPG
View Quote

Same here. I regret selling my M92. It was a great pistol, but it did fund my VZ58 junk. Should have just kept the M92 and bought the VZ a month later when my next fun funds hit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:44:57 PM EDT
[#36]

I missed out on one of those for $950. Why did I wait a day? Oh well, I picked up my Valmet M71S for $800 instead.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#37]
545 master race!!!

I have a 762 12" barreled kit coming I'm excited to build a pistol out of. I have a 12.5" AR in 762x39 and it's not all that bad but I also only run it suppressed. Looking forward to eventually doing a 762 AR SBR. Should be handy.

My 8" 545 krink blows flames out an 8" long suppressor. With a brake it rattles your fillings and lights everything on fire. Legit 4 foot wide fireball. I love that little thing!

I like the VZ idea folks have mentioned  recently built a VZ58  it's a neat gun, shoot very nice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#39]
x39 is definitely the better choice for a barrel that short.  

The closest thing I have is a Galil with an 8.3 inch barrel. It’s a hell of a gun but I’m under no illusion that it’s as potent as a full length rifle.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
x39 is definitely the better choice for a barrel that short.  

The closest thing I have is a Galil with an 8.3 inch barrel. It’s a hell of a gun but I’m under no illusion that it’s as potent as a full length rifle.

https://i.ibb.co/zPFTK3p/829-E7703-7-F98-48-F9-A825-14-A404-E24-ADE.jpg
View Quote

I’ve thought many times about getting a galil
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Thank you everyone I have it narrowed down to an m92 or a Draco I’m trying to see if I can find any locally to look at
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#42]
M92 all day
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Damn sexy as hell, I can’t wait
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yeah, you definitely want the version that shoots a round that loses massive amounts of performance from a short barrel.
View Quote

I went with the ZPAP M85 due to ammo availability. I own tons of excellent quality 5.56 ammo but with the X39, you are stuck with shitty Russian import FMJ.

I'm shooting sub 2MOA groups with my M85 (5 shots at 100 yards) using only a red dot. Meanwhile, my SAM7SF (7.62X39) with a Nightforce 1X8, using the best ammo I can find will be lucky to beat 4MOA.

I do admit that if stuck with FMJ, the X39 will keep more oooomph than the 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Galils are great. The ACE is nice, but I like the older ones. I'm really enamored by the smol Galil below.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Galils are great. The ACE is nice, but I like the older ones. I'm really enamored by the smol Galil below.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395225/20220905_175448-2536617.jpg
View Quote

I thought going with the ace was the only way to get a small galil
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#47]
@finslayer83 has (or had) the sexiest draco SBR I have ever seen.  I wanted to build one just like it but they're so expensive now
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:10:15 AM EDT
[#48]
AK Pistols the SBR’d are great.
I think I’ve SBR’s almost all the ones out there.
Here are a some of them

AK’s suppress well. Don’t believe the horseshit you read out putting a can on them. Been doing it for over a decade.

They make great machine guns too.
Run and run and run.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Don't have the pistol version but I do have a VZ-58 and a bunch of other AKs.

I really enjoy my AKs, but I will freely admit the VZ-58 is what the AK should have been. More accurate, reliable, lighter mags, and lighter despite having a milled receiver.
View Quote

This right here. VZ’s are rad.

Only issue is a limited aftermarket.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
zastava m92
View Quote

I like mine so much that I bought an M85 to go along with it and SBR'd both
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top