Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2019 12:14:49 AM EDT
You're being shipped off tomorrow and you can only choose one.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
G19
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#2]
AR18
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:19:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Vz58.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Shipped of where? STANAG mags and ammo readily available? Or a sand pit with lots ak type weapons floating around?
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve shot AKs for years and have never even held an AR18, so...
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:31:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll go with the one based on a Saint Stoner design.

AR18 for me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

AR18 for me.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:43:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

AR18 for me.
View Quote
If I remember right he wasn't all that thrilled with it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:54:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR18 for me.
Irrelevant, it is still awesome.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:01:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Shipped of where? STANAG mags and ammo readily available? Or a sand pit with lots ak type weapons floating around?
View Quote
STANAG mags will not work in an AR-18. They have to be modified, the mag latch is on the other side of the receiver and the mags must have slot cut for for it to fit in.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:03:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
STANAG mags will not work in an AR-18. They have to be modified, the mag latch is on the other side of the receiver and the mags must have slot cut for for it to fit in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which is pretty easy to do.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:04:37 AM EDT
[#13]
AR-18, runs circles around the AK.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’ve shot AKs for years and have never even held an AR18, so...
View Quote
Ditto. Not to mention spare mags, ammo, field gear, etc for an AK are extremely common in many parts of the world.

Would depend on what the other people I am with are carrying. Carrying a weapon associated with the enemy could lead to friendly fire.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:13:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Chances are it won't be Germanstan or Limeystan so it's a pretty good bet AK mags plentifully and cheap.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:22:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I voted for the AR-18 assuming I could get magazines.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR18 for me.
Would you be, if all your patents were stripped from you due to sale of the platform to a rival company and then having your own tell you to "do it again". This time though, you have to start from scratch and either compete against your perfect design (AR10/15) internal piston system or find a way to not compete directly with it.

Stoner himself wasn't pleased/happy with the AR15 either, in the sense that it shot 5.56. He was a 7.62 man, proving that even Saints have faults.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#18]
welp both will be ultra reliable because they have pistons herpderp

I voted AR18 because it's not an outdated trashcan. And can be modernised easily for tacticool cosplay.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#19]
The rifle that was produced in numbers circa 100,000,000 and battle proven worldwide under all conditions.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Would you be, if all your patents were stripped from you due to sale of the platform to a rival company and then having your own tell you to "do it again". This time though, you have to start from scratch and either compete against your perfect design (AR10/15) internal piston system or find a way to not compete directly with it.

Stoner himself wasn't pleased/happy with the AR15 either, in the sense that it shot 5.56. He was a 7.62 man, proving that even Saints have faults.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR18 for me.

The fault was not Eugene's. It is just us lesser mortals can't 7.62
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Poll needs more "Gun from Heat" options.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#22]
The AR-18!was designed to be built as a low cost easy to make alternative to the M-16
Stamping.  Supposed to be built with a Screw machine and stamping machines
I would pick it easily over the AK.  I like the quick attach and detach optics.  
Improvements that where needed were the folding stock (Easy to damage and the hammer/receiver problem
Also make it accept AR16 magazines
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#23]
44% 46.15% are vicitms of commie propaganda

gross

@RustedAce

Quoted:
The rifle that was produced in numbers circa 100,000,000 and battle proven worldwide under all conditions.
View Quote
And damn near every post-AR15 design uses some variation of the AR18 operating system...
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

gross

@RustedAce

And damn near every post-AR15 design uses some variation of the AR18 operating system...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

gross

@RustedAce

Quoted:
Regurgitate what you've read on the internet much?

Got any pics of your own AKs and want to tell us how many rounds you run through them every week ?
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Better than regurgitating what you've read in commie propaganda.
View Quote
If the AR18 has been as widely produced, adopted, and battle proven,  for over a generation on the scale of the AK;  I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I own 2 AKs and an AR180 B

I would take the AR180 B easily
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#31]
AK because the AR18s are all collectors items now and I doubt I could even find magazines for them. I am not a big fan of the AK 47 but I know it works.

Now, if someone made a modernized AR18 that was proven to be reliable and durable in the field then I would happily choose that... assuming I could get magazines. That new Brownells AR/AR18 upper for example. If it works good I would much rather have that than an AK.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There are many AR18s that have been widely produced, adopted and battle proven. They are all encased in plastic carps however.

AKs should be encased in garbage cans.
View Quote
The improved rifles that utilize  variations of the AR18 system aren't actually AR 18s.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Got any pics of your own AKs and want to tell us how many rounds you run through them every week ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

gross

@RustedAce

Quoted:

I don't need to eat a shit sammich to know that it's shit; similarily I don't need to own an AK to know that it's an overrated outdated rifle.

It was decent during the days of the early Cold War, while NATO was fucking around with battle rifles. That changed as soon as the M16 was adopted

FWIW, the closest Snow Mexican equivalent to the AK is the M+M 10X, and I'm not about to spend 2000CAD on a tarted up turd world rifle.
If I wanted to buy something AKesque, I'd own an SG55x rifle again...it's like an AK but not shitty.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yep, but you gotta put a carp shaped body on it to get people to want it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, but you gotta put a carp shaped body on it to get people to want it.
eurofags are weird
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't need to eat a shit sammich to know that it's shit; similarily I don't need to own an AK to know that it's an overrated outdated rifle.

It was decent during the days of the early Cold War, while NATO was fucking around with battle rifles. That changed as soon as the M16 was adopted

FWIW, the closest Snow Mexican equivalent to the AK is the M+M 10X, and I'm not about to spend 2000CAD on a tarted up turd world rifle.
If I wanted to buy something AKesque, I'd own an SG55x rifle again...it's like an AK but not shitty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

gross

@RustedAce

Quoted:

So yeah; you're just regurgitating what others have said.

I'm so old, that I remember the pre - internet days when posers used to regurgitate  "knowledge" of the sort they gleaned from reading the various gun magazines and passed it off as their own wisdom.

Damn; how time flies but some things always remain the same.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm so old, that I remember the pre - internet days when posers used to regurgitate  "knowledge" of the sort they gleaned from reading the various gun magazines and passed it off as their own wisdom.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

gross

@RustedAce

Quoted:

Clues from #currentyear:
the optics mount which dates back to literally Nazis
overgassed as fuck
heavy, especially once rails are added
outdated operating mechanism design
outdated manufacturing methods
outdated human interface

etc.

This isn't AKfiles lol

muh thurdycal, muh steel and wood
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

gross

@RustedAce

Quoted:

@RustedAce, and numerous others are SMEs. They're not fond of the AK.
I trust their reasoning and opinions.

At least I'm not regurgitating "knowledge" based on Commie propaganda.

Enjoy your third world rifles!
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Between the two and given no other choice the AR18.  But reality I'd go next gen variation of small arms as AK offers little in any reliable mounting, rock in mags that weigh twice as much, and generally out dated design that is no longer a cheap alternative to build anymore.

Before a AK lover says anything, well yeah, we also had millions of Mosins and K98 mousers that were reliable and went boom too.

If your thing is AK's are best, do you also daily drive a vehicle that has a carburetor, watch analog TV that still has vacuum tubes, top loading VCR, Commodore 64 computer, well rock on my retro friend.  I also saw the original Red Dawn in a movie theater and bought and sold off many AK's to include Norinco and Poytech.

But even the Russians and Chinese are going next gen AR18 based and if you haven't tracked the small arms market CZ sold rights to the Bren to Pakistan, Beretta builds ARX in Hungary, and IWI is selling their small arms all over the place, pretty much exclusively the Tavor/X95 to every former AK carrying forces.  Basically your best AK makers have stopped making AK's for something else some time ago, like almost going 20 years.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Between the two and given no other choice the AR18.  But reality I'd go next gen variation of small arms as AK offers little in any reliable mounting, rock in mags that weigh twice as much, and generally out dated design that is no longer a cheap alternative to build anymore.

Before a AK lover says anything, well yeah, we also had millions of Mosins and K98 mousers that were reliable and went boom too.

If your thing is AK's are best, do you also daily drive a vehicle that has a carburetor, watch TV that still has vacuum tubes, Commodore 64 computer, well rock on my retro friend.  I also saw the original Red Dawn in a movie theater and bought and sold off many AK's to include Norinco and Poytech.

But even the Russians and Chinese are going next gen AR18 based and if you haven't tracked the small arms market CZ sold rights to the Bren to Pakistan, Beretta builds ARX in Hungary, and IWI is selling their small arms all over the place, pretty much exclusively the Tavor/X95 to every former AK carrying forces.  Basically your best AK makers have stopped making AK's for something else.
View Quote
FUCK YOU AND YOUR REGURGITATED OPINION YOU GODDAMN POSER MILIENIALIAL, VACUUM TUBES AND CARBURETORS ARE SUPERIOR
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Clues from #currentyear:
overgassed as fuck
outdated human interface

etc.

This isn't AKfiles lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

gross

@RustedAce

Quoted:

Clues from #currentyear:
overgassed as fuck
outdated human interface

etc.

This isn't AKfiles lol

So more of that same sort of regurgitated stuff from you:

"I know how to appear more knowledgeable than I rally am.

I repeat what others have save said, but then I reword it to sound more wise
"
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
FUCK YOU AND YOUR REGURGITATED OPINION YOU GODDAMN POSER MILIENIALIAL, VACUUM TUBES AND CARBURETORS ARE SUPERIOR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your thing is AK's are best, do you also daily drive a vehicle that has a carburetor, watch TV that still has vacuum tubes, Commodore 64 computer, well rock on my retro friend.  I also saw the original Red Dawn in a movie theater and bought and sold off many AK's to include Norinco and Poytech.

But even the Russians and Chinese are going next gen AR18 based and if you haven't tracked the small arms market CZ sold rights to the Bren to Pakistan, Beretta builds ARX in Hungary, and IWI is selling their small arms all over the place, pretty much exclusively the Tavor/X95 to every former AK carrying forces.  Basically your best AK makers have stopped making AK's for something else.
LOL,  I barely made the gen X cut.  But I do enjoy the boomer vs millennial "I hate you dad" and "my son the snowflake" fights here.  Seriously, I did see Red Dawn in a theater.  Hah.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
LOL,  I barely made the gen X cut.  But I do enjoy the boomer vs millennial "I hate you dad" and "my son the snowflake" fights here.  Seriously, I did see Red Dawn in a theater.  Hah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

borderline boomer Generation thurdycalsteelnwood
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

gross

@RustedAce

Quoted:

Clues from #currentyear:
overgassed as fuck
outdated human interface

etc.

This isn't AKfiles lol

"
better than regurgitating urban myths based on Commie propaganda

you're right, I should be narrow minded and unwilling (and/or unable) to re-evaluate my opinions!
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey I saw that Costco sold a retro mini video game that looks like the ones at the old video game places that had Asteroids.  I took a pic of it and sent it to my son and laughed as I resumed my retro tank game on my iPhone.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is my rifle third world?
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hey I saw that Costco sold a retro mini video game that looks like the ones at the old video game places that had Asteroids.  I took a pic of it and sent it to my son and laughed as I resumed my retro tank game on my iPhone.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smartphone?
Video games?

According to 87% of Boomers, you're a goddamn Millennial
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is my rifle third world?
https://i.imgur.com/LBIZZEw.jpg?2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is my rifle third world?
https://i.imgur.com/LBIZZEw.jpg?2
Third world Tier One. Unfortunate!
But better than Turd World
If I had one, I'd slather it with ZentiCo parts

Do you use a trashcan as a case to transport it?
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Third world Tier One. Unfortunate!
But better than Turd World
If I had one, I'd slather it with ZentiCo parts

Do you use a trashcan as a case to transport it?
View Quote
Woohoo! tier 1 baby!
Zenitco B-10M and B-33. Optic is a PO 4x17.
In all seriousness, this 104FR is in another class to most other AKs. OP needs to pick an AK variant to make the comparison fair.
Oh, and I transport mine in this, with the stock folded.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#49]
AK... Yuck

AR18 please. Or a stick. A rock or something maybe.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Russian made AK.  It works.

One good thing about the AR-18 design is that many of the internal parts are easily fabricated by hand.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top