Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:09:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who makes the 7.5 A1 upper?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
No one (that I know of) unfortunately.

The reciever is Brownells retro slick side A1, Doublestar pistol tube, and Faxon barrel.

ADCO pinned the FSB for me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:17:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The various lighter CCI gold dots are pretty good out of short barrels. I'd start with the 55gr.
View Quote
That.

The Gold Dot 75 grain performs poorly  from 7.5" barrel -

223 Spear Gold Dot 75 gr from a 7.5 inch AR pistol

but GD 55 did well -

.223 Speer Gold Dot 55g from 7.5in barrel (velocity, penetration)
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's like asking "I'm buying a Corvette and swapping in a 2.0L 4-cyl engine. How do I make it go fast in a 1/4 mile?" Sorry, but at that barrel length you're severely compromising the performance of that caliber. If you want to go that short, at least move up to something bigger in diameter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry about that. 5.56
That's like asking "I'm buying a Corvette and swapping in a 2.0L 4-cyl engine. How do I make it go fast in a 1/4 mile?" Sorry, but at that barrel length you're severely compromising the performance of that caliber. If you want to go that short, at least move up to something bigger in diameter.
Lol if you’re building a 7.5”, most sane people aren’t looking to reach out and touch someone. I’d assume he’s building a CQB pistol. Throw on a can and it still compact, and the bullets still have enough energy at close range to do serious damage.

Your comparison to the Vette is silly. He’s not trying to build a Vette. He wants a Smart Car with some ass to it. A 7.5” build in 5.56 covers that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:38:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a 7.5" AR pistol and most of the hate spewed here is incorrect.  Was NOT loud as fuck, nor did it spew a massive fireball, nor did it have uncontrollable recoil, unreliability or poor accuracy.  The barrel was a no name (probably Bear Creek Arsenal I would guess) stainless .223 Wylde and was accurate as fuck.  Never once, in hundreds of rounds, did I ever have any sort of malfunction.  I used a KAK flash can and it was no louder, at my end, than a regular AR.  Downrange is a different story but I'm not downrange.  With a Holosun red dot, LaRue MBT trigger and a SBA3 brace it was awesome to shoot.  Used a Mlok 10" rail with flip up Magpul sights along with the Holosun and a standard carbine spring with an H2 buffer.  I did run a heavy duty extractor spring but it worked fine with the standard spring too.  I ended up trading it and a rifle for a Colt 6920 that I built into a SOPMOD Block 1 clone.  I still have another pistol, a 10.5" Commando style on a machined out 80% ghost gun lower.  With the A2 flash hider the 10.5" is much louder than the 7.5" with flash can ever was.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:42:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Reminds me of a small town PD (five officers) back in North Carolina. The chief had left so the acting chief went on a spending spree.  He didn't want to drive the sedan the previous chief drove so he got a new SUV.  He got himself a loaded 14.5" ar15 with optic and light.

He didn't forget the patrol officers, so he got them 7.5" 5.56s complete with happy switch (no lights, no optics)  He neglected to order them spare magazines so my friend on the department asked if he could borrow some so they could qualify.  The ban had recently ended while I didn't have an AR yet, I did have some mags.

They were issued ball (green tip IIRC) and I never saw my mags again
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:55:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
110 grain 300 blackout round
View Quote
This is what I run.

110 grain vmax or Barnes with 7.5 blackout.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 3:37:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Kind of surprised nobody makes .223 or 5.56 optimized for an SBR.   Or do they?
View Quote
They do. It's called .22 LR.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 3:43:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Just use 55 grain soft points.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 4:23:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry about that. 5.56
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a 7.5" 5.56 pistol years ago (before braces were a thing) and I sold it fairly fast. It was too loud and the fireballs got old. I currently have a 7.5" 300blk and I love that thing. It's definitely a great length for hunting hogs from a truck cab. Ammo is twice as expensive, but if you're buying premium 5.56 it's not as big a leap in cost to decent .300. uppers and barrels are so cheap right now, get both?
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
that fireball is your powder burning outside the barrel, between that and the muzzle blast you will be blind and deaf after two rounds. I’ll take the pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never had any mechanical issues with my 7.5. It feeds and shoots anything. Just don't get that delicious accuracy. I'm probably not the best shooter here though, I'm just a dude. Accuracy aside, that projectile is hauling ass when it leaves the barrel. A hell of a lot more effective than a pistol round.
that fireball is your powder burning outside the barrel, between that and the muzzle blast you will be blind and deaf after two rounds. I’ll take the pistol.
Don't let them scare you OP, the fireball isn't that bad especially if you're using a light with it. I don't know why you would take a shot without using a light. And wouldn't you rather be deaf than dead?

That said, anything more then 20 yards and during daylight and the AR is going to beat the pistol every time. You can kiss your soft armor goodbye.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sorry about that. 5.56
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What caliber?
Sorry about that. 5.56
Best to go with a 22lr conversation kit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What caliber?
Sorry about that. 5.56

M193 coming out of a 7.5 inch barrel at 2500 fps still has 750+ ft-lb of energy.

CCi Stinger (one of the fastest 22 rounds out there) per their website is only 191 ft-lb at the muzzle (32 grain at 1640 ft/s).

9mm +P ammo is in the 400-450 ft-lb range.

Even with only 7.5 inches, you are still better off with the 5.56.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

M193 coming out of a 7.5 inch barrel at 2500 fps still has 750+ ft-lb of energy.

CCi Stinger (one of the fastest 22 rounds out there) per their website is only 191 ft-lb at the muzzle (32 grain at 1640 ft/s).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What caliber?
Sorry about that. 5.56

the .25-20 killed the biggest racked deer ever killed by a man, and out of a rifle it has 150 foot pounds less energy than m193 from a 7.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone have experience with the 55 grain Hornady TAP 223 REM ammunition out of a 7.5 inch barrel? Label gives the muzzle velocity of 3240 FPS, I'm guessing that is out of a 20 inch barrel.  I say guessing since they don't list the barrel length of the test rifle.  My question is if the TAP ammo expands out of a 7.5 inch barrel AR15 pistol.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#19]
At 7.5", I'd go .300BO. Wait, I did.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top