Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need more antibiotics.  I got cellulitis from a simple bug bite on the back of my knee. It took two rounds of intravenous doxycycline and a month of two different oral antibiotics to clear mine up. At the largest, my red area went from mid thigh to mid calf.

ETA: Oh, and that mofo needs lanced too.
View Quote

Got cellulitis from mine too.  Mine was near the ankle.  A few days in the hospital.

It was from a Yellow Sac Spider (small, pale yellow spider).

Be careful of them.

They are dangerous and most people don't know it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#2]
OP should be thankful he didn't use VA medical care otherwise this would be a memorial thread.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#3]

No it isn’t

Looks like an orb weaver of some type off of its web.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#4]
comprehension issues?

is this a recluse is a question
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 6:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No it isn't

Looks like an orb weaver of some type off of its web.
View Quote
thank you
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 6:41:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
comprehension issues?

is this a recluse is a question
View Quote
Yeah, I misread the question. Sorry.

Sitting here at work trying desperately to stay awake.  12-hour graveyard shifts suck.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Jesus. Did you just sleep with al that Benadryl On board?
View Quote
I'd have looked like one of those comatose veggie guys with that much. Just
one takes me out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bot fly larva?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like was stated a bit earlier, listen to your patient. No matter how bizarre it may sound. This patient saw 2 other doctors for a “spider bite” on the left cheek. They covered them for staph,strep, mrsa etc, but the redness got bigger about the size of a quarter. The patient had been camping and living in northern Ohio. The patient noted itching and a feeling of “something moving” in the abscess.
Well, I thought no way could it be a larval infestation, that doesn’t happen in northern Ohio.  I put some bacitracin over the wound, to try and suffocate out the potential little bugger. 10 minutes later I was called to see this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/307202/113A222B-0BE8-40FC-86FF-A88B1A87450F_jpe-2565878.JPG

Well hell’s bells, You got a larvae!

I made a small incision, and took out this 3mm bugger

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/307202/8901D594-BD0D-4A34-8773-E55B2E4F85CE_jpe-2565879.JPG

Listen to your patient, and have an appropriate differential no matter how unlikely

Bot fly larva?

Yes, the lab didn’t give the exact species
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Got cellulitis from mine too.  Mine was near the ankle.  A few days in the hospital.

Be careful of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need more antibiotics.  I got cellulitis from a simple bug bite on the back of my knee. It took two rounds of intravenous doxycycline and a month of two different oral antibiotics to clear mine up. At the largest, my red area went from mid thigh to mid calf.

Be careful of them.

Fuck you

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/17/2022 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#10]
MRSA is nasty. My 3 yo son spent 10 days in the hospital with a MRSA UTI. Turns out he had kidney reflux which was causing infections. After surgery his condition went away.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be careful of them.

Fuck you

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/427921/Screenshot_20221017-070305_png-2565957.JPG

Those damn things like to get into mod and trailer furnace main burner orifices [there is just one] and weave a web that blocks about 50% of the gas [3.5 IWC]. The blower will kick on/off if using a snap disc for blower operation, or blow cool air if controlled by a board. I get around 10-12 a year.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#12]
6 pages late and didn't read it all, but that is a classic brown recluse bite.

OP, did you leave the jeans on the floor or touching the ground over night before putting them on?
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 7:50:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Took some left over antibiotics and it cleared up.
View Quote

Not to pick on you specifically, but there should never be such a thing as 'left over antibiotics'.  When you get put on antibiotics you should finish the entire course.

People not finishing their antibiotic courses is why we have antibiotic resistant organisms like MRSA in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Make sure they do not discharge you until everything in under control.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Like was stated a bit earlier, listen to your patient. No matter how bizarre it may sound. This patient saw 2 other doctors for a “spider bite” on the left cheek. They covered them for staph,strep, mrsa etc, but the redness got bigger about the size of a quarter. The patient had been camping and living in northern Ohio. The patient noted itching and a feeling of “something moving” in the abscess.
Well, I thought no way could it be a larval infestation, that doesn’t happen in northern Ohio.  I put some bacitracin over the wound, to try and suffocate out the potential little bugger. 10 minutes later I was called to see this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/307202/113A222B-0BE8-40FC-86FF-A88B1A87450F_jpe-2565878.JPG

Well hell’s bells, You got a larvae!

I made a small incision, and took out this 3mm bugger

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/307202/8901D594-BD0D-4A34-8773-E55B2E4F85CE_jpe-2565879.JPG

Listen to your patient, and have an appropriate differential no matter how unlikely
View Quote

Come on, Doc!

You can't listen to your patient!  That's crazy talk!  They are just drug seekers and uneducated rabble.  With insurance money to be had.

All patients are nowadays, to most large healthcare businesses, is money flowing in.  The more you make them come back, the more you push off treatment by sharging them the sweet, sweet comebacks, the more money the administrators of the healthcare business make!!!

Not to mention, the more you listen to them, the less time you have in your alloted 20 minutes to put information into EPIC so the giant national database can be updated on its citizens.

Healthcare is not about healing people!  It's about making money!

Please get with the program or your priveleges will be revoked.

On a more serious note, I agree with you Doc.  Doctors need to listen more.  The constraints placed on most American Doctors by their healthcare business bosses are making a mockery of why Doctors become Doctors in the first place.

Hence the huge influx of foreign born Doctors, especially at the family practice level.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

"When You Hear Hooves, Think Horse, Not Zebra" - But don't discount the Zebras completely....
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Update time: my RN told me this morning that preliminary reports are showing that the infection is in my bloodstream.

The Nurse also just told me that the preliminary wound culture site is showing Staph but if it forms MRSA then we’ll have a different conversation……

Well this morning I also got my original wound culture back from Hospital A and it’s positive for Rare Staphylococcus aureus Methicillin resistant (MRSA).

I’m going to guess that means my stay at the Holiday Inn is going to be prolonged.

My leg actually feels better and has been draining so hopefully that’s good news as long as it doesn’t kill me first.

Not really sure what all this means but it’s got me a pretty nervous and the anxiety is running a little high.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Jesus. Did you just sleep with al that Benadryl On board?
View Quote

Oddly no, i was awake. It made a massive difference. Other antibiotics didnt shift it. Got bit in a rural area in a hotel in Georgia near south west area. Problems lasted a few months. Glad I took the benadryl treatment.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Look for violin pattern on head like pic above.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Get well Dude!
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Positive thoughts for you @twolabs.  What a crazy turn of events.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Update time: my RN told me this morning that preliminary reports are showing that the infection is in my bloodstream.

The Nurse also just told me that the preliminary wound culture site is showing Staph but if it forms MRSA then we’ll have a different conversation……

Well this morning I also got my original wound culture back from Alton Memorial (Barnes did the finalization) and it’s positive for Rare Staphylococcus aureus Methicillin resistant (MRSA).

I’m going to guess that means my stay at the Holiday Inn is going to be prolonged.

My leg actually feels better and has been draining so hopefully that’s good news as long as it doesn’t kill me first.

Not really sure what all this means but it’s got me a pretty nervous and the anxiety is running a little high.
View Quote

Rest

Eat

Follow doc’s orders

The current care sounds like it is the correct care.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I cut, stack and Split firewood regularly. We have northern black widows (the red dots) as well as southern (hour glass).

Attachment Attached File

Have never seen a recluse here but we have these bros.

Attachment Attached File

and these

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well this morning I also got my original wound culture back from Alton Memorial (Barnes did the finalization) and it’s positive for Rare Staphylococcus aureus Methicillin resistant (MRSA).

View Quote

Tell them about your anxiety. They kept me well sedated and happy during my 7 night stay. My infection was on the front of my  knee. They were concerned about the infection eating the knee joint.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not to pick on you specifically, but there should never be such a thing as 'left over antibiotics'.  When you get put on antibiotics you should finish the entire course.

People not finishing their antibiotic courses is why we have antibiotic resistant organisms like MRSA in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Took some left over antibiotics and it cleared up.

By strange coincidence, I'm reading a science fiction short story about this.  It's called The Native Soil, by Alan E. Nourse.

Here's the part I find interesting:

The story was first published in 1957.

Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well this morning I also got my original wound culture back from Hospital A and it’s positive for Rare Staphylococcus aureus Methicillin resistant (MRSA).

View Quote

MRSA doesn't seem that rare.  I've had it several times.  Didn't go to the hospital for any of them, just went to my GP and got antibiotics and monitoring.  Obviously go the hospital if your doc says to or if you think it's bad enough to warrant.  But I wouldn't worry at all if it's starting to shrink.  Just keep on the stuff they put you on for the entire course, even if it looks like it's healed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Tell them about your anxiety. They kept me well sedated and happy during my 7 night stay. My infection was on the front of my  knee. They were concerned about the infection eating the knee joint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. They’ll give you something. Body doesn’t heal so good when you’re stressed.

I am SO glad you went in and pressed the issue. You don’t fuck around with infections.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what aggravates me about “Urgent” or “Emergency” care: They misdiagnosed you originally & the initial window for clearing this up quickly passed & now it seems you are way more down the rabbit hole than you should have been.

I’ll keep you in my thoughts & prayers.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

MRSA doesn't seem that rare.  I've had it several times.  Didn't go to the hospital for any of them, just went to my GP and got antibiotics and monitoring.  Obviously go the hospital if your doc says to or if you think it's bad enough to warrant.  But I wouldn't worry at all if it's starting to shrink.  Just keep on the stuff they put you on for the entire course, even if it looks like it's healed.
View Quote

MRSA is a group of different strains of bacteria which share the trait of being resistant to multiple drugs in the beta-lactam family of antibiotics.  Some are more common than others.  The strains may be susceptible to different antibiotics.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Recluse or close relative bite. Had the same thing happen except it got me on the neck from hiding in a hoodie. The redness extended down into my chest before I went to MD. Mr. MD takes one look and says "My, oh my !!" and ran out of the room. Sent me to a surgeon close by to have a look and he sent me back with orders for a whole gram of Rocephin to put in my hip, plus 500mg tabs. Started clearing up immediately but the actual site of the bite ended up sloughing off skin and would scab over, repeating like 5 times before it healed. Left a nice scar.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can expect a 7 to 10 day course of IV antibiotics, depending on what the cultures show.  Part of the process is exposing your specific bacteria sample to various antibiotics to see which antibiotics kill the little bastards.  That way they know what specific drug or drugs to give you.  In the meantime, they're giving broad-spectrum antibiotics to slow / stop the infection.

They will also have to do other sets of blood cultures to evaluate the effectiveness of the treatment and fine tune the dosage of the antibiotics.

Let the nurses know that you are anxious, and they can get one of the docs to prescribe something to help.  

Hang in there and feel better.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#34]
This was the result of the MRSA infection in my shoulder.

I posted about it earlier in this thread. I was told by the surgeon who cut it out of me that the hole was deep enough for me to stick my entire thumb in it.

MRSA ain’t a joke. Glad you’re in the hospital where you should be. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks everyone!

So if I get the option to go home (tomorrow or Wednesday) with a picc line and iv meds with a home health nurse coming to my house) or stay in the hospital what should I do?

I mean of course the normal answer is I want to get out of this place but I don’t have a whole lot of trust right now in the docs and what to do what’s best for this crap. I’ve never dealt with it or know anyone who has so it’s all new to me and throw in the broken trust thing right now equals my anxiety high lol.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is what aggravates me about “Urgent” or “Emergency” care: They misdiagnosed you originally & the initial window for clearing this up quickly passed & now it seems you are way more down the rabbit hole than you should have been.

View Quote

The initial antibiotics would have covered for the possibility of MRSA.  I do not see anything to suggest medical negligence or harm
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#37]
This past summer, I got cellulitis from some sort of bite on my lower thighs by my knee.  Looked like when your’s started out. The red grew overnight so I went to urgent care.  Luckily, a round of antibiotic ointment and steroid ointment got it.  Don’t know if spider or mosquito.  Or what it was.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

By strange coincidence, I'm reading a science fiction short story about this.  It's called The Native Soil, by Alan E. Nourse.

Here's the part I find interesting:
https://i.imgur.com/S5GLmm8l.jpg

The story was first published in 1957.

View Quote
What's old is new again...
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The initial antibiotics would have covered for the possibility of MRSA.  I do not see anything to suggest medical negligence or harm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would it not have been more prudent to I&D the area then, which still hasn’t been done?
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

So if I get the option to go home (tomorrow or Wednesday) with a picc line and iv meds with a home health nurse coming to my house) or stay in the hospital what should I do?

I mean of course the normal answer is I want to get out of this place but I don’t have a whole lot of trust right now in the docs and what to do what’s best for this crap. I’ve never dealt with it or know anyone who has so it’s all new to me and throw in the broken trust thing right now equals my anxiety high lol.
View Quote

If you can go home, do it.  My wife is a nurse and recommends to always limit how long you stay in a hospital--as long as you are stable.

Make sure you stay clean, care for the picc line--they should help explain how to take care of it and yourself.  Do you have someone at home that can care for you (cook, help, etc?)

You will get better rest at home, and your chance of getting sick(er) by staying in the hospital will lower.  

What does your insurance cover?
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If you can go home, do it.  My wife is a nurse and recommends to always limit how long you stay in a hospital--as long as you are stable.

Make sure you stay clean, care for the picc line--they should help explain how to take care of it and yourself.  Do you have someone at home that can care for you (cook, help, etc?)

You will get better rest at home, and your chance of getting sick(er) by staying in the hospital will lower.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

@billpete

Thanks for the information. No idea what they cover yet. I’m retired .Mil so I have Tricare. It’s always been good for me and my family but have never really had a long term stay. I’d love to sit around and boss my wife around haha.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Would it not have been more prudent to I&D the area then, which still hasn’t been done?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the beginning, there was likely no consolidation of purulence that would have been amenable to I&D
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know it's difficult but try not to stress out, that won't help anything.

Hang in there, they'll get it worked out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

View Quote

Get out if you can.

Lost a good friend to a superbug. He had a kidney infection and they wanted to keep him for a couple of days. Superbug got spread on the floor and he is 1 of 4 people that died from it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

View Quote

Going home with meds is a nice option.

When I had a PICC line I had to go back to the hospital ever other day for a month.

I quit after two weeks, got frustrated and pulled out my PICC line at home.

Don't do that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

View Quote

It sounds like the docs where you are have a grip on things.  Going home on home IV antibiotics via PICC line is a pretty common thing in managing infections where the bug is responding well to the antibiotics.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2022 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol.
Big hospital emergency departments are every bit as qualified to misdiagnose you and f you up as the little places. Arguably more so.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File
This is a recluse and it’s off spring.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Bingo.

Here's what can happen if you don't get it treated right away.
My sister had a POS doctor who told her he'd check it out at her next appointment in a week.
She waited three days, couldn't take it anymore, and went to the ER, where they found this (pic is post-debridement)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31267/FullSizeRender-2100246.jpg
View Quote

My mouth dropped open and I made a sound that I've never made before.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

View Quote
Go home if you can and are comfortable with it.

I recently had an extended stay in the hospital, ultimately made myself enough of a pain in the ass to get discharged, and the difference in how fast I started improving was  pretty dramatic.  Spent a hundred bucks on a walker that I used for a grand total of one day after getting home.  
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top