Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2022 9:17:36 PM EDT
I want to buy a drone. I have no idea what I want to do with it. Pretty much screwing around, maybe take some vid or pics for Instagram, but mostly fucking about.

Last time I kicked the idea around, there were no FAA regs, everything was $1000+, and I want to say the DJI Phantom was the cats pajamas, and there really wasn’t any first person consumer options.

Knowledge boys, point me in a reasonable direction where I can have some fun for under $500. The credit card is ready, and if Amazon can get it to me this weekend, that’s a plus (but I could wait for a better option)
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I want to buy a drone. I have no idea what I want to do with it. Pretty much screwing around, maybe take some vid or pics for Instagram, but mostly fucking about.

Last time I kicked the idea around, there were no FAA regs, everything was $1000+, and I want to say the DJI Phantom was the cats pajamas, and there really wasn’t any first person consumer options.

Knowledge boys, point me in a reasonable direction where I can have some fun for under $500. The credit card is ready, and if Amazon can get it to me tomorrow, that’s a plus.
View Quote

For 400 or so you can get a dji mini2 refurb, controller and three batteries and multicharger.
For another 75 or so you can the replacement warranty if you wreck it, which is not easy to do as long as you pay attention and don't get carried away.

ETA
499 with warranty

Official Refurb by DJI 469
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For 400 or so you can get a dji mini2 refurb, controller and three batteries and multicharger.
For another 75 or so you can the replacement warranty if you wreck it, which is not easy to do as long as you pay attention and don't get carried away.

ETA
499 with warranty
$411 Amazon Warehouse

View Quote

Thoughts on the FPV headsets?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA
499 with warranty
$411 Amazon Warehouse

Never tried one. Looks pretty cool and I could see their use. For me as a novice, I like to be able to see my drone alot of the time. I like to fly it sideways to get people doing stuff from a side view and with fpv, you would not be able to see what it coming up and so are more likely to run it into trees or a building.

Eta if I am flying it over 200 feet or so I am not likely to be able to see it, but also not likely to hit a 200 foot tall tree. I am talking flying 30 or 40 feet off the ground.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
DJI Mini 2 from costco.

Completely foolproof no license required.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
DJI Mini 2 from costco.

View Quote

+1 on the Mini 2. I got one 3 weeks ago and like it. A bit of a learning curve with the app but not too bad. Total greenhorn here on using my first smart phone. Just double check for phone compatibility before buying.

I get a solid 23-24 minutes with 15-18% left on battery.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Costco has the Mini 3 now. It's ~$800. That's what I'm going to upgrade to
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Kinda liking the idea of the Costco mini, could pick one up in the morning…
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Advantage of the 3 vs 2?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't buy this one.

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Advantage of the 3 vs 2?
View Quote

Many, the big ones for me are 4k video recording and collision avoidance.

https://www.techradar.com/versus/dji-mini-3-pro-vs-dji-mini-2-which-is-the-best-small-drone-for-you
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#11]
$338 at Amazon.  That's how I bought mine.  Looked like someone opened it and sent it back.  Buy the DJI Refresh Care also for $79 for two extra years.  Takes the anxiety out of flying.  

https://theforklift.net/items/171994158

If you end up buying from Costco, be sure to activate the refresh care before 48 hours.  You can still do it after but it's a little more involved.  You have to take a video showing all the things work.  If you buy used from Amazon, you'll have to make the video.  No big deal, I had to do it.

Here's the link with instructions

The Mini 2 takes fantastic pics/vids.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:16:18 AM EDT
[#12]
The Mini-3 has front, rear up, down avoidance.  Camera can rotate 90 degrees, better resolution/camera than mini 2.  Both can do 4K,  Cost is almost 2X  over the -2

I have a Costco Mini 2 pkg.  Bought it when they had a $100 rebate (June) sale.  First "real" drone.

Last month I crashed it unto a powerline (Mini3 would have avoided it).  Broke the gimbal camera bracket, glued  it in place but it would not calibrate.  Submitted an RMA to DJI, shipper was provided.  Two weeks later and $103  I had a brand new Mini-2.  Good communications.

In the past 3 months I logged ~42 flights; over 54 miles.  Longest flight 1 1/2 miles.  I like the automated Return to Home feature when the battery runs low or loses connection to the controller.  Fastest flight ~33 mph

I am using it with a Galaxy S22 Ultra.  In direct sunlight after a while the display dims, first flight this became a mega panic mode when I could not see where the drone was.  Press Return to Home and could still could not see it.  It was ~100' above me and could not be heard.  

Flown it over a lake a few times ~150' above, no one notices it.

One day I may get the Mini 3, for now the 2 is good enough for a newbie.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:49:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Get the Mini 3 if you are most interested in capturing video.

Get the FPV if you care about the experience.

My BIL has the Air 2S, my FIL has 2 of the mini 2, and I have the FPV.

Glad I went with the FPV but the video quality it records is not nearly as good as the others due to the lack of stabilization.

FPV also requires FAA registration which is a nothing burger.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:50:55 AM EDT
[#14]
The Mini 2 is a great all around drone. I've been using it, but I'm somewhat wishing I had went with a Mini 3 for the better camera. I try to do sunset/sunrise stuff which really taxes a camera. Also, when doing pictures for HDR use I like the mini 3 iso changes a bit more.

If you intend to really try to get into doing drone video and picture work I'd go right to the mini 3.

Edit: Also worth pointing out soon to be implemented changes will cause the drones to now broadcast your info. I'd buy sooner rather than later and not let it do any updates. Its the FAA Remote ID requirement.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:22:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I like my Mavic 2 a lot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:23:54 AM EDT
[#16]
A lot depends on what you want to do with it.  If you just want to fly around and take some pictures, some of the smaller DJI drones are pretty sweet.  If you want to use 3rd party software, then you are somewhat more limited.  I do mapping, so I was more limited - Mavic or Phantom.  If you want to carry stuff (like shark bait), then there are heavier hitters (payload drones, not DJI camera drones), but their camera are not as good - plus sometimes their flight control software is not as good.

If I won a lotto or two - I would probably order a Gannet Mako.  10kg payload.  Controller to handle a crap load of sensors.  Money is about all that limits the camera pod.  With the large battery, I think it has an hour and a half flight time.  Hell, maybe I would also get a drone with a thermal sensor - but I think I could add that to the Mako as well.  I think budget thermal drones are probably hard to find under 10k.  Mako is a bit more than that.  I have not looked at the current MSRP - as I think they only went into production this month, but they were targeting 20k.  It's much smaller little brother is the Gannet Black - and I think they are close to $4k, then you need spare batteries.  The high capacity battery for the Mako alone is over 1k.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m off to Costco with the intent of getting the Mini 3.

I found this video this morning, and loved the dude’s honesty/candor.

Ultimate Drone Buying Guide for Total Beginners 2022
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Is there a commercial drone that allows multiple people to “livestream” the camera footage to their phone? If so what kind of distance limitation to the video stream? And is there a way to increase the distance to as far as the drone operator can receive a signal?
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Advantage of the 3 vs 2?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Advantage of the 3 vs 2?
As I understand it, the newest Mini 3 is super light.

https://www.dji.com/mini-3-pro?site=brandsite&from=nav

I flew a buddys Mini 3 last weekend. Very easy and forgiving.

The other thing he said he liked is the 3 comes with a controller, vs having to use a phone. He said the newer phone (apple) is a PITA to use as the holder blocks both ends, making it difficult to use.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Costco sold out. 17 at distribution center waiting to be shipped out to stores.
Best Buy is nearby, gonna scope out their stock and pricing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I plan on getting the Autel nano+
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Let me help make your life easier.  

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/consumer/ci/40227
View Quote

I got it in my head that I’m dead set on playing with it this weekend.

So, I am the proud owner of a Mini 3 with the screen on the controller.

Don’t tell my wife. I’m gonna go unbox it and fly it in my garage.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Love my Mini 2 but wished I waited for the Mini 3 Pro. Biggest gripe is having to fully commit your phone to the Mini 2's controller whereas the Pro has the onboard screen. And it's not a smooth process to out stretch the spring loaded bracket while squeezing in your phone with the other hand, then having to wrap the wire around to plug it in.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#27]
With your user name and avatar, you're going to be bored with a picture taking drone in no time at all.  I have one, a DJI Inspire 1 V2, that was given to me.  I rarely fly it.  I do enjoy my fpv drones though.  

I flew this one around the neighborhood this morning.  Iflight XL10 I built earlier this year.  It has an ExpressLRS rx/tx control link, so your only boundaries are your batteries.  I had this out 1.6 miles in early testing, and it flies in acro mode most of the time, so you can do stunts with it.  

Attachment Attached File

Not knockin' the Dji mini, still might pick one up for scenic stuff, but fpv is alot more fun IMHO.  Look into whoops for good cheap starter fpv fun.  One advantage to the sub-250g class is, no Remote ID, which is coming next year.  Not saying it'll affect me much, as I fly in the open desert anyway, but it will affect park flyers and professionals who work with drones.  

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck you GD!

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Fuckin’ thing doesn’t come with a charger? Seriously?

Like we all have 30w USB-C wall chargers on every outlet….

Gonna have to go to the house and try to hook it up to the wife’s laptop dock. See if it catches on fire. In the meantime, I ordered one off Amazon that should be here by 5.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
With your user name and avatar, you're going to be bored with a picture taking drone in no time at all.  I have one, a DJI Inspire 1 V2, that was given to me.  I rarely fly it.  I do enjoy my fpv drones though.  

I flew this one around the neighborhood this morning.  Iflight XL10 I built earlier this year.  It has an ExpressLRS rx/tx control link, so your only boundaries are your batteries.  I had this out 1.6 miles in early testing, and it flies in acro mode most of the time, so you can do stunts with it.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/319951/20221001_080954_jpg-2546406.JPG

Not knockin' the Dji mini, still might pick one up for scenic stuff, but fpv is alot more fun IMHO.  Look into whoops for good cheap starter fpv fun.  One advantage to the sub-250g class is, no Remote ID, which is coming next year.  Not saying it'll affect me much, as I fly in the open desert anyway, but it will affect park flyers and professionals who work with drones.  

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id

View Quote

You are probably correct, but I think Ineed to go through this intro stage to figure it out. FPV does look badass.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#31]
what ones can drop ordinance? asking for a friend of course
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Gonna have to go to the house and try to hook it up to the wife’s laptop dock. See if it catches on fire. In the meantime, I ordered one off Amazon that should be here by 5.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122080/image_jpg-2546443.JPG
View Quote

You need the fly more combo.

Buy it now. Seriously. You'll want it by the end of today lol.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
what ones can drop ordinance ordnance? asking for a friend of course
View Quote

I also have a friend who is curious about this.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Likely. I’ll suffer through the weekend to figure out what I don’t know, then I can order whatever I figure out I want by next weekend.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not this one. LOL You might be able to rig one of these to drop a black cat or smoke ball.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#36]
DJI mini or Mini SE is one of the best starter drones.

If I can fly one anyone can.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what ones can drop ordinance ordnance? asking for a friend of course

Need some input from the Ukrainian guys.

I know I would love to setup some targets in my backyard to drop some dummy grenades on.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Damnit, now I want one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Used up my first battery charge, just kinda messed around flying it inside my garage a little bit, then outside and around the area. I was able to take some pictures using the drone’s internal memory. I’ve got some micro sd cards coming later this afternoon. I’ll share some later.

I did not pay attention to my actual flight time. Fly more pack would def be nice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Don't try to hover it in your house if you don't have a stable GPS connection
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Don't try to hover it in your house if you don't have a stable GPS connection
View Quote

I don't know about the Mini 3 but my FPV will use a downward facing camera below 30' to maintain hover, which doesn't require GPS.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I’ve been interested in a drone, but I live too close to an airport so I can’t fly it without traveling. That’s enough to keep me from committing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Fuck you GD!

View Quote

This. Now I feel the need to upgrade my Mavic Air.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#44]
What's the prop noise like on these?

I had a larger one years ago and it was quite loud.  You'd be hard pressed to sneak up on anyone with it

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
DJI Mini 2 from costco.

View Quote

+1

If you budget was higher the Air 2s.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What's the prop noise like on these?

I had a larger one years ago and it was quite loud.  You'd be hard pressed to sneak up on anyone with it

View Quote

Watch the video I posted above, the dude hovers all of them in his house while he talks, gives a good sense.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Watch the video I posted above, the dude hovers all of them in his house while he talks, gives a good sense.
View Quote

you crash it yet?
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122080/image_jpg-2546443.JPG

Tried to tell him. A Mini 2 with three batteries and rapid charger is way better than a Mini 3 with 1 battery and slow ass in drone charging.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Many do with the addition of a $50-$100 rig. The one below is mine. The drop jig has a light sensor that looks for the navigational light of the Air 2S which the user can control with a dedicated button. Figuring out how to best drop the crossbow bolts was a bit of fun. Dropping them from height even the plastic ones bury themselves 4" deep into the hard soil and will chip the asphalt. I'm personally not ready for the broadhead drops.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Tried to tell him. A Mini 2 with three batteries and rapid charger is way better than a Mini 3 with 1 battery and slow ass in drone charging.
View Quote

But a Mini 3 + Fly More Combo = Mo Betta.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top