Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#1]
For a nice roundup of today's activities, check out Doomsday Watch.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe this is it.  

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Romania-Iran-Shooting.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

In response to world pressure to end its nuclear activities...Iran attacks Romania!

Romanian Oil Rig Comes Under Iranian Fire

Article Tools Sponsored By
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 22, 2006

Filed at 6:42 a.m. ET

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) -- A Romanian oil rig off the coast of Iran came under fire Tuesday from an Iranian military warship and was later occupied by Iranian troops, a company spokesman said.

The Iranians first fired into the air and then fired at the Orizont rig, said GSP spokesman Radu Petrescu. Half an hour later, troops from the ship boarded and occupied the rig and the company lost contact with the 26 crew members shortly afterward.

Petrescu said he had no information about any injuries or deaths. The Orizont rig has been moored near Kish island in the Persian Gulf since October 2005, he told the Associated Press.

Eugen Chira, the political consul at the Romanian Embassy in Tehran, confirmed the incident, but provided few details. ''Some forces opened fire. That an incident has happened is true. We have no details or the reason yet,'' he said.

GSP, also known as the Oil Services Group, is a private Romanian company established in 2004 which operates six offshore rigs that it bought from Romania's largest oil company, Petrom.

Two of its rigs are operating near the Iranian coast in the Persian Gulf as part of a deal signed between Petrom, GSP and Dubai-based Oriental Oil Co.

The Romanian company was in Iranian courts earlier this year over a dispute involving another one of its oil rigs, Fortuna, the financial weekly Saptamana Financiara has reported. It was unclear whether Tuesday's incident was related to legal issues.

The Orizont rig was built in 1987 and weighs 13,000 tons.

Kish, in the southern end of the Persian Gulf, houses the offices of about 100 Iranian and foreign oil companies.

------
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#3]
maybe this will end the northern Commie's help to the shitstains?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, dpmmn was just made a moderator, so I'd say the end is near...
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#5]
OMG, its happening! Iran figured out how to catch us totally off guard...

'Urban' Raccoons Kill 10 Cats, Terrorize Washington State Neighborhood

OLYMPIA, Wash. — A fierce group of raccoons in a west end neighborhood has killed 10 cats, attacked a small dog and bitten at least one pet owner who had to get rabies shots, area residents say.

Some have taken to carrying pepper spray to ward off the masked marauders and the woman who was bitten now carries an iron pipe when she goes outside at night.

"It's a new breed," said Tamara Keeton, who with Kari Hall started a raccoon watch after an emotional neighborhood meeting drew 40 people. "They're urban raccoons, and they're not afraid."

Tony Benjamins, whose family lost two cats, said he got a big dog — a German shepherd-Rottweiler mix — to keep the raccoons away.

One goal of the patrol is to get residents to stop feeding raccoons and to keep pets and pet food indoors. Keeton and Pam Corwin also have installed cat coops so their pets can spend some time outdoors.

One raccoon is especially large, "the biggest raccoon I've ever seen," Benjamins said. "He was a monster."

Lisann Rolle says began carrying an iron pipe when she goes outside at night after being bitten by raccoons when she tried to pull three of them off her cat Lucy. She obtained rabies shots afterward as a precaution.

"I was watching her like a hawk, but she snuck out," Rolle said. "Then I heard this hideous sound — a coyote-type high pitch ... It was vicious. They were focused on ripping her apart."

The attacks have been especially shocking because raccoons came within five feet of cats without any problem in previous years, Benjamins said.

"We used to love the raccoons. They'd have their babies this time of year, and they were so cute. Even though we lived in the city, it was neat to have wildlife around," he said, "but this year... things changed. They went nuts."

In one case five raccoons tried to carry off a small dog, which managed to survive. Some residents also have managed to get to their cats in time to save them.

The attacks, all within a three-block area near the Garfield Nature Trail, are highly unusual, said Sean O. Carrell, a problem wildlife coordinator with the state Department of Fish and Wildlife, adding that trappers may be summoned from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to remove problem animals.

"I've never heard a report of 10 cats being killed. It's something were going to have to monitor," Carrell said.

Meanwhile, residents have hired Tom Brown, a nuisance wildlife control operator from Rochester, to set traps, but in six weeks he has caught only one raccoon. He and Carrell said raccoons teach their young — and each other — to avoid traps.

Brown said he had seen packs of raccoons this big but none so into killing.

"They are in command up there," he said.

Its been nice knowing your guys. I'm heading for the safehouse...

No amount of planning could have prepared us for this, god help us all...
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, today is... the day after my birthday.  I went to the capital grille, and I have a meat overload hangover!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
'Urban' Raccoons Kill 10 Cats, Terrorize Washington State Neighborhood

Zombies?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, I'm home with a stupid cold today.  The Iranians did it!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Reporting in from an undisclosed, secure location............I NEED A SITREP !!!
Anyone still alive ??
I need to hand crank my computer generator so if I fade out.........
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top