User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 12:59:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well...

In Oregon you have exactly the same dangerous animals we have in AZ, so...

You knockout the math.
View Quote
Size matters. A decent black bear in AZ, will get you hours of derision in NC for shooting a cub.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:00:47 AM EDT
[#2]
.357 mag with moderate barrel and silver bullets.
Pop any melon out there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:02:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Size matters. A decent black bear in AZ, will get you hours of derision in NC for shooting a cub.
View Quote
It’s not the old fat black bears you need to worry about.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It’s not the old fat black bears you need to worry about.
View Quote
I've seen what a 25 pound bob-cat can do to a hunter with a turkey call.
A lot of damage.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You have moose and wolves?
View Quote
Interestingly, both states surveyed about the same number of wolves this year.  About 130, often considered a gross undercount here.

We also have a handful of jaguars so I count that as a win in the predator category.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:08:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is the only time a Taurus judge is the answer.
Snakes are far the greatest threat,
View Quote
No they're not.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have a 10mm use it. A 9mm will work too. A healthy cat wants nothing to do with you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:34:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Consensus is 10mm

I agree. I have a G20.  Carried the same gun for the 2 legged predators when I worked on the border
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:37:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Although very rare theres jaguars in SE Az
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:39:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some dipshit killed the only known one here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:44:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I carry a .45 in Timberwolf country. I’d feel fine with a 9mm and a few more rounds as well.

(Shrug)
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:59:58 AM EDT
[#12]
For fucks sake.  It's AZ.  Carry what you want.  So why aren't you toting a slung 300 blackout suppressed "pistol" with a SBA3 brace?
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 2:02:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Southern AZ? That pistol better be in 5.56 or 300 blackout.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 2:28:05 AM EDT
[#14]
My biggest concerns in Arizona backcountry are angry bulls (several encounters) and snakes, esp. when in Mojave Green Rattlesnake range (Google them--they are one of the world's most venomous).

I did a lot of experiments in the 90s with snakeshot from rifled pistol barrels and came to the conclusion that the bigger the bore the less disruptive effect the rifling has on patterns.  .454 is significantly better than .429 which is dramatically better than .357.

I often carry a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan with 45 Colt snake shot in the first two cylinders and Buffalo Bore 454 Casull hardened lead penetrators in the rest.

Mike

PS. Killing a snake for species identification after a bite is important.  It's a much more likely scenario.  So far, I've always been able to spot them and move back--no reason to shoot.  Might be different if I had my dogs with me.  I've seen several snakes near my cabin but always when I was there alone not with family.  I'm sure Jesus would have walked around the serpent in the Garden of Gethsemane had the apostles not been sleeping nearby.

PPS. 10mm is an excellent choice as well and that's what I carry in the field when I'm not carrying the revolver.  For those mentioning The Harold Fish case our self-defence laws have changed dramatically since those days partially in response to that case.  Self defense is no longer the responsibility of the defendant to prove by preponderance of the evidence (as it was when Fish was first comvicted).  If you raise a plausible self-defense argument the prosecutor must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was not self defense.  His defense attorney also did a poor job not rebutting the prosecutor's grandstanding about the 10 mm cartridge.  It was the top choice of law enforcement in those days and also Fish's primary concern was defense against animals not humans.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 2:43:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Just walk around the snake when you are in back country. I always see them, they are not aggressive.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 2:45:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LOL.

Mountain lions are thin skinned medium game.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They have mountain lions so, something like a .44.
LOL.

Have you ever crossed paths with a mountain lion?

Would you be willing to go mano a gato with a mountain lion armed with a small caliber handgun?
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 2:52:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Uh.. if you're in the northern half of the state don't forget about Skinwalkers
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 3:32:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Carry whatever legal firearm you want to carry, be it as Davis Derringer in 38 with snake shot, or an AR pistol in 7.62x39mm, or whatever. However, for "woods walking" in AZ during summer time a FAR better investment would be Turtle Skins for leg protection, or the cheap plastic leg armor, plus a Taurus Judge with snake shot carried crossdraw from your regular sidearm.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 3:53:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Pussies.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 3:55:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
The bears that aren't knocking your garbage can over look like sick big dogs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 3:56:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I carry a 9mm. I'm most worried about people.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 3:59:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Kinda what i was thinking a 10mm for the mointains and 9mm for the rest.

Thanks, good read at the link too.... damn.
View Quote
There are things creeping around the desert that will fuck up anything you can find the mountains.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 4:00:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And big elk.
View Quote
Hell.. I wish the bulls were aggressive. That would make my job a lot easier in the fall.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#24]
.22lr is fine, and that assumes you’d rather kill rattlesnakes than step around them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 5:13:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Glock 19.  Honestly I'd be more worried about 1)  people and 2)  snakes.
View Quote
This.  I have a vacation home near Yuma.  I carry a G19 with a X300 and two spare mags.  Depending on where I'm at, I'll have a rifle too
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What caliber would one like that will kill any and all animals in AZ?

Usually go with 10mm over here, wondering of I even need that in AZ?
View Quote

Go 10 or stay at home.
In before someone says 9mmis all you need.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 5:15:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
LOL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL.

Made me lol too.

To answer the op, whatever handgun you shoot most accurately. 9mm, 10mm, .45 acp, .357 would all serve the purpose.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#28]
My son carried a g29 when he wandered around Northern Alaska and carries out when wandering around the Arizona backcountry. I grew up hiking and working in AZ and CA and see absolutely no reason to kill snakes, unless your hungry..
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 5:31:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Macho-B!  Like Haram-B!  Never forget.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
PS. Killing a snake for species identification after a bite is important.  
View Quote
It is of no importance what so ever. In fact, you risk a second bite by doing so.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Knights sr25 in southern az. Illegal activity I hear.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I carry 10mm because reasons. Probably overkill, but I don't care.
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Heavybreathing.jpg

Link Posted: 4/19/2019 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Son in law carries a 1911 in 10mm while hunting.
Last year while hunting the north rim he was charged by a black bear.
He held his ground and the bear stopped just shy of a 100yrds.
He said he had unslung his 300 winmag and had it at the ready.
So much for the 10mm?
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#35]
The 10mm is okay early on but you will want to find the Mysterious Magnum or a Ranger Sequoia for max damage later on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#36]
357mag!
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I wish more people understood this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snakes aren’t much of an issue. If they become an issue out in the desert it’s usually too late because you stepped on snek. Otherwise they go about their way and most leave them be.
The vast majority of people are totally ignorant about snakes and feel you need a firearm to protect themselves from the snake.

The only thing in AZ I worry about when hiking are two-legged critters.  The bears, the cats, and anything else with claws pretty much will avoid me long before I see them.  The humans, not so much.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#39]
if I'm thinking about critters, I will carry a S & W 25-5 in .45 colt (not ACP)
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You have moose and wolves?
View Quote
Wolves, lions, coyotes, in at least one area a jaguar has been spotted.

Snakes, badgers, skunks, porcupines, the usual stuff.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

But, snakes are more prevalent so something in a shotgun caliber.

This may be the perfect use for a Judge, 50/50 loadout.
View Quote
We also have black bears.

I would go the 10mm route.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#42]
We've had like 2 mountain lion attacks that I can recall where an armed person defended themselves.  Both missed a lot.  Mountain lion ran off at least.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Where in AZ?  Wouldn't you be more worried about the 2 legged predators lurking about?
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#44]
I do 7 to 10 miles a day in the AZ deserts, every day.  I carry a Ruger LCR in .38

First two rounds are snake shot.  Remaining rounds are .38

So far I have survived every encounter.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The vast majority of people are totally ignorant about snakes and feel you need a firearm to protect themselves from the snake.

The only thing in AZ I worry about when hiking are two-legged critters.  The bears, the cats, and anything else with claws pretty much will avoid me long before I see them.  The humans, not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snakes aren’t much of an issue. If they become an issue out in the desert it’s usually too late because you stepped on snek. Otherwise they go about their way and most leave them be.

This bears repeating.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Where in AZ?  Wouldn't you be more worried about the 2 legged predators lurking about?
View Quote
All of AZ.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, several times. I live and play in prime mountain lion habitat. Its been illegal to hunt them for decades where i live so they have little fear of humans. They frequently get hit by cars and hang out around horse stables. The local cops have to kill them occasionally when they start hanging out a preschools or go after a jogger or mountain biker.

Took this pic of my back yard on Saturday.

Attachment Attached File

Would you be willing to go mano a gato with a mountain lion armed with a small caliber handgun?
Like a 25ACP, no thanks. But a .35 caliber handgun (.38Spec, .357Mag, 9mm), sure.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Running into a mountain lion armed with a small caliber handgun would be cause for concern.
View Quote
A common method of hunting mountain lions, where legal, is to tree them with dogs then shoot them with a .22LR handgun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This bears repeating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This bears repeating.
I do a lot of rock climbing/scrambling.  I do wear heavy leather gloves and have had any number of snake strikes into those gloves.  The only time I actually kill a snake is if I am climbing full on, and need that perch to move forward.   Usually my dog will alert on a viper and we can simply go around it.  But when I am climbing, she is off finding her own way up.

Other wildlife?  Coyotes mostly.  They scatter almost 99% of the time, the 1% who hang around get a couple of rounds of snake shot shot at them, and if that doesn't move them along, .38 comes next.

We had a mountain lion following behind us once, Molly my dog was acting fucky, but her gut is something I listen to.   So we backtrack, see the paw prints in the sand.  I didn't see the cat, but every hair on my body was standing at attention and I was squeezing the grip on that LCR like it was a piece of carbon I was turning into a diamond.

Nothing came of it.  But it was sporty in my mind for a few minutes.

I got a sig sauer copperhead that I want to strap on my back, but have yet to find a decent sling/system for that, I need to have my hands free most of the time.  I want to be able to take some coyotes at farther than LCR distance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Arizona wilderness?  The Arizona "Wilderness" is probably 4/5  desert wasteland. There's some high country with water and forested areas, but you won't be running into bears, crocodiles, 30' long snakes and ROUS's.

Your biggest threat in Arizona are snakes. Depending on where, I'd personally go with a 357/9mm or 22 pistol, but the chances of you even seeing a black bear or mountain lion, much less a Gila Monster are incredibly low.

It's the snake that doesn't rattle that'll get you.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top