Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the lawyer going to tell you RFN on scene that you don't already know?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the lawyer going to tell you RFN on scene that you don't already know?
View Quote

It's not what the lawyer will tell you. It's what the lawyer will tell the cops.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Nobody gave you a hard time over your comments about 24/7 legal counsel availability.

Your backup plan is the fact that the police have to stop questioning you once you ask for a lawyer. It doesn't matter if the lawyer takes 4 days to get there, just asking for him is all you need to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I don't know if it will work for me.  Extreme stress is a game changer.

But I know I've made some progress over the years in how I respond to conflict and provocation, so that's somewhat reassuring.

And, what guys like Branca and Ayoob say on this matter make a lot of sense to me, especially Branca, a real pro.

I won't cut and paste them but there are many here (who appear to be professionals) who reinforce the idea that "sometimes offering a brief synopsis" (instead of clamming up) can help your case.

If only one person who's read through this thread keeps their freedom after a self defense event, I think this discussion is more than worth it.
My first brief synopsis will either be the 911 phone call, or through my legal counsel.  That is what my legal counsel wants.  They do not want me wrecking it for them before they ever get started.  They will talk to me on the phone from the scene.

Really!!?? As I posted earlier, and got beat up for it, expecting legal counsel to be available 24/7 is not a realistic scenario. What's your backup plan when said legal counsel doesn't answer the phone at 2am?

Nobody gave you a hard time over your comments about 24/7 legal counsel availability.

Your backup plan is the fact that the police have to stop questioning you once you ask for a lawyer. It doesn't matter if the lawyer takes 4 days to get there, just asking for him is all you need to do.

Much more realistic than expecting immediate access to legal counsel.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I know I've made some progress over the years in how I respond to conflict and provocation, so that's somewhat reassuring.

And, what guys like Branca and Ayoob say on this matter make a lot of sense to me, especially Branca, a real pro.

I won't cut and paste them but there are many here (who appear to be professionals) who reinforce the idea that "sometimes offering a brief synopsis" (instead of clamming up) can help your case.

If only one person who's read through this thread keeps their freedom after a self defense event, I think this discussion is more than worth it.
My first brief synopsis will either be the 911 phone call, or through my legal counsel.  That is what my legal counsel wants.  They do not want me wrecking it for them before they ever get started.  They will talk to me on the phone from the scene.

Really!!?? As I posted earlier, and got beat up for it, expecting legal counsel to be available 24/7 is not a realistic scenario. What's your backup plan when said legal counsel doesn't answer the phone at 2am?

Immediate access to legal counsel doesn't matter. Invoking your 6th Amendment right brings the interrogation to a close, which is goal number one. After that you're just lounging around, waiting for counsel to show up, at which point he will ask you if you have said anything. You will say no, I haven't, and he will thank you. Then you proceed from there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Immediate access to legal counsel doesn't matter. Invoking your 6th Amendment right brings the interrogation to a close, which is goal number one. After that you're just lounging around, waiting for counsel to show up, at which point he will ask you if you have said anything. You will say no, I haven't, and he will thank you. Then you proceed from there.
View Quote

See? This discussion is just full of good advice.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

expecting legal counsel to be available 24/7 is not a realistic scenario.
View Quote

False.   Someone picks up the phone and provides legal advice.   It may not be the same person who comes to the police station or (god forbid) winds up defending you in court, but there are people available 24/7/365 with the emergency number on my card.   If the group you use doesn't provide that, you should shop for another.

When I shopped around all the ones I looked at provided 24/7/365 access.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:27:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's Duane's advice for post-arrest. Pre-arrest he says to say you'll be happy to answer all their questions as long as you get them in writing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's Duane's advice for post-arrest. Pre-arrest he says to say you'll be happy to answer all their questions as long as you get them in writing.
View Quote

Member ab15 here also suggests:

"Retired patrol lieutenant here.  The problem with talking is most folks absolutely babble after a violent or use of force incident.  Even cops.

If you have sufficient self control to give a very brief synopsis to responding officers, do so...."

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"Retired patrol lieutenant here.  The problem with talking is most folks absolutely babble after a violent or use of force incident.  Even cops.

If you have sufficient self control to give a very brief synopsis to responding officers, do so...."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Anyone with a lick of common sense knows under most circumstances and IF YOU DON'T HAVE SELF CONTROL not talking can help preserve your rights and your freedom.

Since my first post I have NEVER contended that not talking to the responding officers is always a foolish tactic.

What I have and still contend that under certain circumstances, as member ab15 states, "giving a brief synopsis" might help prove you are the victim and might help your case.

And I've given two examples to support that.

NOT TALKING might be the smart and right thing to do.

But not for every person and not in every circumstance.

If you can't keep from running your mouth, clam up and let the chips fall.

If you are able to maintain enough measure of self control and the circumstances merit it, give a brief synopsis.

It's foolish to demand every person do and say the same thing regardless of their abilities and the circumstances - one size (method) does not fit all.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's foolish to demand every person do and say the same thing regardless of their abilities and the circumstances - one size (method) does not fit all.

View Quote

noone is demanding anything.   You started a thread calling "never talk to police" absurd advice.

First that isn't the advice.  The advice is "never talk to police without the benefit of counsel"
Second, it isn't absurd, it is the same advice a cop would give to another cop in a uof situation.  

"Don't talk to police without the benefit of counsel" works for everyone.  Innocent, guilty, black, white, talkative, laconic;  it doesn't matter.  

The advice you've been pasting from your preferred experts DEFINITELY is not one size fits all.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll do a little follow up here.  Most folks go thru life and never have a traumatic incident.  They don't think about it.  They have a car accident or get in a fight and the urge to yammer about the biggest incident in their lives is unstoppable.  So they say too much, or stupid stuff.

Over the years I saw freshly caught repeat offenders give voluntarily statements that put them in prison.  Police interrogators are very, very good.

Many of the cops I knew who had use of force incidents, not just shootings, were masterful during the incident.  Afterwards the adrenaline kicks in and they babble.  You, the shooters of Arfcom may be able to control yourselves after a shooting.  I know my limitations and will shut up. YMMV.

As an FTO, I would tell new recruits first day before leaving the parking lot that if involved in a shooting, shut up.  I'm not your friend, the Sgt is not your friend, the detective is really not your friend.  Your attorney is your friend.

Again, do as you like.  You may have a mind that allows you more self control.  For me, I'll take the ride downtown in absolute fucking silence.  The criminal justice system frightens me more than divorce lawyers and democrats put together.  It is a manufactured hell.

All this being said, my final advice is to avoid lethal confrontations or situations as much as possible.  You cannot imagine the clusterfuck that awaits.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll do a little follow up here.  Most folks go thru life and never have a traumatic incident.  They don't think about it.  They have a car accident or get in a fight and the urge to yammer about the biggest incident in their lives is unstoppable.  So they say too much, or stupid stuff.

Over the years I saw freshly caught repeat offenders give voluntarily statements that put them in prison.  Police interrogators are very, very good.

Many of the cops I knew who had use of force incidents, not just shootings, were masterful during the incident.  Afterwards the adrenaline kicks in and they babble.  You, the shooters of Arfcom may be able to control yourselves after a shooting.  I know my limitations and will shut up. YMMV.

As an FTO, I would tell new recruits first day before leaving the parking lot that if involved in a shooting, shut up.  I'm not your friend, the Sgt is not your friend, the detective is really not your friend.  Your attorney is your friend.

Again, do as you like.  You may have a mind that allows you more self control.  For me, I'll take the ride downtown in absolute fucking silence.  The criminal justice system frightens me more than divorce lawyers and democrats put together.  It is a manufactured hell.

All this being said, my final advice is to avoid lethal confrontations or situations as much as possible.  You cannot imagine the clusterfuck that awaits.
View Quote

Again, there it is.  "know your limitations" and YOU may have a mind that allows you more self control"

Some people may work to improve their mental "self control" in high stress situations just as they work to improve their physical fighting skills under high stress.

And there are many sources and techniques for improving both.  Why wouldn't anyone want to get better at both?

I've given three, real world examples, which are obvious exceptions, of personal friends that used deadly force to defend themselves and only said enough to set the stage that they were, indeed, victims of an armed attacker, and made a very few statements like pointing out the direction their attacker fled, what weapon they used, and where they saw their attacker throw the weapon.

None of the three had to spend a dime on legal fees, none of them got cuffed, none of them took a ride downtown.

So, there are exceptions to the blanket rule, "call 911 and say nothing to the responding officers".

I know that to be a fact, and to make good common sense.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Obsessively practicing how you plan to talk to the police after a shooting still seems creepy to me.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

ETA: I'd really like to hear from some LE people that have responded to SD shootings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: I'd really like to hear from some LE people that have responded to SD shootings.
My contract says they will answer at 2am.  

I guess I will learn the hard way if they don't.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Obsessively practicing how you plan to talk to the police after a shooting still seems creepy to me.

View Quote

Good observation.

What about obsessively (ever how you measure that) practicing how to shoot to defend yourself?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good observation.

What about obsessively (ever how you measure that) practicing how to shoot to defend yourself?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good observation.

When taken to the levels of obsession you've shown in this thread, yup. Still creepy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When taken to the levels of obsession you've shown in this thread, yup. Still creepy.
View Quote

I'm good with that.

Hope to keep learning and honing my skills.

Didn't even really get serious about my state's use of force laws until about 5 or 6 years ago.

Been carrying around 40 years now.

Just curious - in your state if someone is standing stationary 50 yards away, brandishing a knife and screaming "I'm going to kill you!", is it legal for you to shoot them?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just curious - in your state if someone is standing stationary 50 yards away, brandishing a knife and screaming "I'm going to kill you!", is it legal for you to shoot them?
View Quote

Sure. Brandishing a bayonet attached to a rifle would definitely justify the use of lethal force, even at 50 yards.

Any other bizarre or ridiculous hypothetical scenarios you want to throw out there?

(Hint: That's a rhetorical question. )
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sure. Brandishing a bayonet attached to a rifle would definitely justify the use of lethal force, even at 50 yards.

Any other bizarre or ridiculous hypothetical scenarios you want to throw out there?

(Hint: That's a rhetorical question. )
View Quote

What's ridiculous about your state's laws regarding "avoidance", one of the five essentials of being able to claim self defense?

Or do you even care or study your state's particular use of force laws?

Common sense says we should study them, but not obsessively.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#23]
N/M
Wrong thread
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:02:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good observation.

I don't know what you have against OP. He practices his skills daily and a man that knows his limitations. Here is a photo of the OP and his lawyer Branca in the early morning hours as he practices his daily ritual of self control techniques for talking with police after incident

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:17:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well said.
View Quote

agreed

needed clarification
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Received this email reply from Ayoob today:

" Hi Doc,

"Sorry for the late response. Just got home from 5 weeks on the road: two shooting trials and 4 classes.  Getting caught up now.

Our most recent case such as you describe came in through ACLDN.  The Network attorney killed it in hearing and our guy is now free and won't be charged.

After the hearing, the lead investigator came up to him in the courthouse hall and told him, "You know, if you had just told me then what you testified to today, I never would have even arrested you."

It still amazes me that people who see reality sufficiently to carry a gun somehow think they're going to kill a human being, tell the police "I'm not saying anything to you," and expect the cop to say "Oh, OK, never mind."

Sorry that you have to deal with the question, as I do.

Best,
Mas"
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Received this email reply from Ayoob today:

" Hi Doc,

"Sorry for the late response. Just got home from 5 weeks on the road: two shooting trials and 4 classes.  Getting caught up now.

Our most recent case such as you describe came in through ACLDN.  The Network attorney killed it in hearing and our guy is now free and won't be charged.

After the hearing, the lead investigator came up to him in the courthouse hall and told him, "You know, if you had just told me then what you testified to today, I never would have even arrested you."

It still amazes me that people who see reality sufficiently to carry a gun somehow think they're going to kill a human being, tell the police "I'm not saying anything to you," and expect the cop to say "Oh, OK, never mind."

Sorry that you have to deal with the question, as I do.

Best,
Mas"
View Quote

I'm not seeing the case name where a guy shut the fuck up and it got him convicted.

Was that appended as an attachment or something? Maybe a different email you forgot to copy and paste?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I was a Cop. I will never talk to the Cops without an Atty.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm not seeing the case name where a guy shut the fuck up and it got him convicted.

Was that appended as an attachment or something? Maybe a different email you forgot to copy and paste?
View Quote

That was exactly the question Ayoob just answered.

"There are certain situations where giving some information to the responding officer can help your case if you're able to control the urge to blurt."
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was a Cop. I will never talk to the Cops without an Atty.
View Quote

A wise man knows his limitations.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

"There are certain situations where giving some information to the responding officer can help your case if you're able to control the urge to blurt."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surely there's one single instance. Just one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Of course, there's more than one, but that's a question for an attorney or LEO since they would have personal experience.

All I can factually cite are the prior instances where giving a responding officer a "brief synopsis" not only "helped their case" but prevented them from being arrested or having to pay any legal fees and during which they maintained self control and didn't run their mouth.

Both of them had spent considerable time working on their mental skills in addition to their physical skills.

Smart move.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Of course, there's more than one, but that's a question for an attorney or LEO since they would have personal experience.

All I can factually cite are the prior instances where giving a responding officer a "brief synopsis" not only "helped their case" but prevented them from being arrested or having to pay any legal fees and during which they maintained self control and didn't run their mouth.

Both of them had spent considerable time working on their mental skills in addition to their physical skills.

Smart move.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smart move.

Of course there's more than one, despite nobody ever being able to name one.

Seriously. ONE.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Name one, and I'll drop it forever, and give you an apology.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Name one, and I'll drop it forever, and give you an apology.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This example makes it sound like the man didn't say anything until his hearing, which is not something anyone in this thread has ever suggested.

Wouldn't having his lawyer immediately relay the information to the investigator long before the hearing have also satisfied the investigator, and negated the need for the hearing?

Nobody is saying to have your lawyer wait until the trial before speaking.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not everyone “has a lawyer”. If you’re on a scene and need one better call Saul?  Seriously most people wouldn’t know where to start finding a good lawyer quickly
View Quote

Consider it a lesson in modern-day, 1984-esque prepping.

Have a lawyer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Hey y'all. It's shut the fuck up Thursday, reminding you to shut the fuck up when the police ask you questions.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hey y'all. It's shut the fuck up Thursday, reminding you to shut the fuck up when the police ask you questions.
View Quote

Especially when you have a good description of your attacker and their vehicle and in which direction they fled.

STFU, get cuffed, take the ride, and help your attacker escape prosecution.

But only on STFU Thursdays.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Depends on if you are in one of the communist anti-gun states/cities the shooting occurred in. If it is in one of the commie locations, say NOTHING without a lawyer. That is your RIGHT under the Constitution. Whatever statement you think might be benign or won't infer that you are guilty of something can be twisted by the police, communist anti-gun prosecution to make you look guilty. Certainly not all police are tools of the corrupt, communist prosecutors, but enough are to make it extremely risky to say anything without YOUR lawyer present.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Depends on if you are in one of the communist anti-gun states/cities the shooting occurred in. If it is in one of the commie locations, say NOTHING without a lawyer. That is your RIGHT under the Constitution. Whatever statement you think might be benign or won't infer that you are guilty of something can be twisted by the police, communist anti-gun prosecution to make you look guilty. Certainly not all police are tools of the corrupt, communist prosecutors, but enough are to make it extremely risky to say anything without YOUR lawyer present.
View Quote

P15
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 4:16:10 AM EDT
[#44]
This is Bill. This is how Bill responds when the police want to ask him questions.

Be like Bill.

Billions - Bill Stearns Arrested - Lawyer!
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 4:37:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nope, I will tell my lawyer and HE will tell the po-po where it is
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your attacker tossed their weapon, but you're not going to tell the first-on-scene patrol officers where it's located?

Nope, I will tell my lawyer and HE will tell the po-po where it is
Do you have your lawyers personal cell number, that he will 100% answer at all times of the day and night?  Have you already placed a retainer?  Have you talked to your attorney about what his response is going to be to your SD shooting?

Because if the answer to any of those questions is "No" then the crime scene is going to be cleared up and released before you ever even talk to your attorney.  Meaning that weapon no longer exists.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:06:54 AM EDT
[#46]
This card was included with a pocket holster I ordered a few weeks ago.

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:15:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Never talk to the police.  Be able to prove your story.

Quoted:
In a situation where one has had to use deadly force to defend themselves (shot at someone who was attacking you)....

When the first PATROL officers arrive in response to the 911 call what kind of a fool would refuse to talk to them if:

1. the perp had tossed their weapon but you know exactly where it's located

2. you are certain who else witnessed the attack on you

3. you know the exact location of security cameras that have recorded the attack on you

4. the perp flees and you have a description of the vehicle, the license number, and the direction in which it left

5. you have a description of the perp

6. you have evidence (like a phone video) that can prove to the first arriving officers that you were the victim and acted in self defense

Really?  You're going to clam up and say nothing until you consult with an attorney?

There are TWO times when you typically "speak with law enforcement".

The first is "first on the scene patrol officers".  Know what to say and talk to them.

The second is the "investigation officers", and that's the time to lawyer up.

Why is this fundamental concept so difficult for people to understand?

Edited by request:

Andrew Branca, "The Law of Self Defense"

Chapter 9

"Tell the responding officers exactly what you told 911:
1. Your name
2. Your location
3. Three specific sentences about what happened and why:
a. I was attacked
b. I was in fear for my life (my family, etc).
c. I had to defend myself.

4. Identify exculpatory evidence and witnesses.

Remember, the jury is only going to arrive at their verdict based on the evidence.  If a piece of evidence goes missing, it does not exist for legal purposes. It becomes speculation.

Good cases of self defense do not suffer from too much evidence.  The suffer from too little evidence.  More evidence is good for the good guys.

So what kind of evidence should you make when you interact with responding officers?

Evidence that will help your narrative.  What the law refers to as exculpatory evidence.  And for the most part exculpatory evidence comes on the form of objects and witnesses.  And you need exculpatory evidence secured.  If it isn't, part of your story becomes speculation, which doesn't exist for legal purposes.

If a thug attacks you with a knife, and as you shoot him that knife goes flying into a bush, tell the responding officers to go look in that bush.  If you don't and the knife isn't recovered, it doesn't exist for legal purposes.  Given the knife justifies your actions, failing to recover it would be devastating to your legal defense.

If all you say is "I want my lawyer" you let that exculpatory evidence disappear. I can assure you that your lawyer is not going to think you are a legal genius for following the advice of a Youtube video to "never talk to the police".

Massad Ayoob
"Conventional wisdom — and many a concealed-carry instructor — says that you should clam up when police arrive at the scene and refuse to say anything without your attorney present, because “police are not your friends” in that situation.

Defensive shooting expert Massad Ayoob disagrees.

Massad Ayoob offers a five-point checklist of things to cover with the police instead of just clamming up:

Establish the active dynamic. This means letting the investigators know what the bad guy did to force you to use your firearm against him. This establishes you as the victim.
Reinforce that by stating you will testify against the bad guy — and Ayoob says the wording of that may be “a little bit tricky.” Don’t say “I’ll press charges,” because in some areas only prosecuting attorneys can press charges. Instead, say “I will testify against him/them.” This strengthens your position as victim.
Point out the evidence. Preserve it if possible; which can be difficult when medical and other personnel are running around disturbing the scene.
Point out the witnesses. I know from experience that witnesses don’t always get interviewed or even have a statement taken at the scene; do your best to make it easy for officers, so the witnesses can back up your story.
Shut up. Tell the officer he or she can expect your full cooperation after you’ve spoken with an attorney."

Also, "if you were attacked by multiple bad guys and one or more of them get away — and you say nothing to the police so they don’t know that 1) you were facing multiple threats when you used your firearm for self defense and 2) there are some bad guys at large — that doesn’t help your case in the least."

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Do you have your lawyers personal cell number, that he will 100% answer at all times of the day and night?  Have you already placed a retainer?  Have you talked to your attorney about what his response is going to be to your SD shooting?

Because if the answer to any of those questions is "No" then the crime scene is going to be cleared up and released before you ever even talk to your attorney.  Meaning that weapon no longer exists.
View Quote

Easy there, Mr. Common Sense

GD don't talk to no POlice even if it means prison and bankruptcy.

The question is not whether or not to talk to the police, but what to say and how much.

Call 911, responding officer arrives (that you asked for), but you don't speak a word to him.

Not a single word.

That's "not talking to the police".

See how that works out for you.

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#49]
depending on where, good chance you getting cuffed and going to station no matter what you tell them. maybe telling them something prevents that, maybe not.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Anyone with a lick of common sense knows under most circumstances and IF YOU DON'T HAVE SELF CONTROL not talking can help preserve your rights and your freedom.

Since my first post I have NEVER contended that not talking to the responding officers is always a foolish tactic.

What I have and still contend that under certain circumstances, as member ab15 states, "giving a brief synopsis" might help prove you are the victim and might help your case.

If you are able to maintain enough measure of self control and the circumstances merit it, give a brief synopsis.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why do the best defense attorneys in the USA disagree with everything you just wrote?  

It’s simple “don’t talk to police”. What is so hard about that?
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top