Quoted:

Andrew Branca, "The Law of Self Defense"

Chapter 9

"Tell the responding officers exactly what you told 911:
1. Your name
2. Your location
3. Three specific sentences about what happened and why:
a. I was attacked
b. I was in fear for my life (my family, etc).
c. I had to defend myself.

4. Identify exculpatory evidence and witnesses.

Remember, the jury is only going to arrive at their verdict based on the evidence.  If a piece of evidence goes missing, it does not exist for legal purposes. It becomes speculation.

Good cases of self defense do not suffer from too much evidence.  The suffer from too little evidence.  More evidence is good for the good guys.

So what kind of evidence should you make when you interact with responding officers?

Evidence that will help your narrative.  What the law refers to as exculpatory evidence.  And for the most part exculpatory evidence comes on the form of objects and witnesses.  And you need exculpatory evidence secured.  If it isn't, part of your story becomes speculation, which doesn't exist for legal purposes.

If a thug attacks you with a knife, and as you shoot him that knife goes flying into a bush, tell the responding officers to go look in that bush.  If you don't and the knife isn't recovered, it doesn't exist for legal purposes.  Given the knife justifies your actions, failing to recover it would be devastating to your legal defense.

If all you say is "I want my lawyer" you let that exculpatory evidence disappear. I can assure you that your lawyer is not going to think you are a legal genius for following the advice of a Youtube video to "never talk to the police".

Written by a professional, experienced, self defense criminal attorney.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Branca said that in his book because he is a rep for concealed Cary insurance. If you watch any of his coverage of the Rittenhouse trial, I stopped counting how many times he said “the reason the trial is not going well for the DA is because Rittenhouse STFU and lawyered up.”

Chapter 9

1. Your name
2. Your location
a. I was attacked

Remember, the jury is only going to arrive at their verdict based on the evidence.  If a piece of evidence goes missing, it does not exist for legal purposes. It becomes speculation.

Good cases of self defense do not suffer from too much evidence.  The suffer from too little evidence.  More evidence is good for the good guys.

So what kind of evidence should you make when you interact with responding officers?

Evidence that will help your narrative.  What the law refers to as exculpatory evidence.  And for the most part exculpatory evidence comes on the form of objects and witnesses.  And you need exculpatory evidence secured.  If it isn't, part of your story becomes speculation, which doesn't exist for legal purposes.

If a thug attacks you with a knife, and as you shoot him that knife goes flying into a bush, tell the responding officers to go look in that bush.  If you don't and the knife isn't recovered, it doesn't exist for legal purposes.  Given the knife justifies your actions, failing to recover it would be devastating to your legal defense.

If all you say is "I want my lawyer" you let that exculpatory evidence disappear. I can assure you that your lawyer is not going to think you are a legal genius for following the advice of a Youtube video to "never talk to the police".

Written by a professional, experienced, self defense criminal attorney.

But you're not an attorney and will end up f'ing it up. Don't say anything
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You are being completely absurd, how dare you suggest any topic have any nuance whatsoever in the black and white world of GD

I think "never talk to the police" is good advice to my fudd dad, new to guns neighbor or johnny public,
who on the worst day of their life is more likely than not to say something dumb, especially in this day and age.

That being said it is easy to dream up a hundred different things worth mentioning to the police.

Also there is a big difference between dealing with a major metropolitan JBT and the sheriff's deputy who lives down the street and goes to the same church as me
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You are being completely absurd, how dare you suggest any topic have any nuance whatsoever in the black and white world of GD

I think "never talk to the police" is good advice to my fudd dad, new to guns neighbor or johnny public,
who on the worst day of their life is more likely than not to say something dumb, especially in this day and age.

That being said it is easy to dream up a hundred different things worth mentioning to the police.

Also there is a big difference between dealing with a major metropolitan JBT and the sheriff's deputy who lives down the street and goes to the same church as me
View Quote

Everyone is going to talk to the police even if it's "yessir" as they put their hands where they can be seen.

I love the old Richard Pryor skit:  "I'M REACHING INTO MY POCKET FOR MY LICENSE...."
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Local Wa lawyer

Bullet Points. What to Do Immediately Following a Self-Defense Shooting
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Chapter 9

1. Your name
2. Your location
a. I was attacked

Massad Ayoob
"Conventional wisdom — and many a concealed-carry instructor — says that you should clam up when police arrive at the scene and refuse to say anything without your attorney present, because “police are not your friends” in that situation.

Defensive shooting expert Massad Ayoob disagrees.

Massad Ayoob offers a five-point checklist of things to cover with the police instead of just clamming up:

Establish the active dynamic. This means letting the investigators know what the bad guy did to force you to use your firearm against him. This establishes you as the victim.
Reinforce that by stating you will testify against the bad guy — and Ayoob says the wording of that may be “a little bit tricky.” Don’t say “I’ll press charges,” because in some areas only prosecuting attorneys can press charges. Instead, say “I will testify against him/them.” This strengthens your position as victim.
Point out the evidence. Preserve it if possible; which can be difficult when medical and other personnel are running around disturbing the scene.
Point out the witnesses. I know from experience that witnesses don’t always get interviewed or even have a statement taken at the scene; do your best to make it easy for officers, so the witnesses can back up your story.
Shut up. Tell the officer he or she can expect your full cooperation after you’ve spoken with an attorney."

Also, "if you were attacked by multiple bad guys and one or more of them get away — and you say nothing to the police so they don’t know that 1) you were facing multiple threats when you used your firearm for self defense and 2) there are some bad guys at large — that doesn’t help your case in the least."

Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top