Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/16/2019 2:24:15 AM EDT
That is all you need  to combine to light yourself on fire...

I was finishing up de-greasing a gun to Cerakote and spilled a good bit of acetone on the floor I was cleaning up for the night and putting the acetone into its container.  I always keep it dry in garage so no moisture lingers into the booth and just so happen to also have some those impact resistant foam mats on the floor (those jig saw floor mats you see everywhere).  Well the acetone started to get under the mats so I went and started to pull them up and WHOOSH!  I didn't even know what happened, but I got the fire put out, but shit could got real bad quick if all those mats would have caught on fire (thank you fire extinguisher!).  Thank god this is all I got, but I did just notice my eyelashes and what hair I have left on my head have singe marks and stink.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#1]
1st!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:28:54 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have not already, get to a burn clinic immediately. Preferably, have someone else drive you. That's likely to put you in shock and you need professional treatment.

Good luck OP, that's gonna suck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:29:27 AM EDT
[#3]
That hand needs medical treatment.  Do it now.  Do not waste time.  I don't care if it's 2 in the morning, you need to be in the ER or on the way to it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:29:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy fuck dude! Static?

Glad you're (mostly) ok.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:30:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Holy shit. I didn’t know that happened. I use Acetone over my foam jigsaw mats all the time.

I think you should go to the ER man.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:30:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Fucking ouch!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:32:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Static Electricity... my blasting cabinet (on the other side of the room) was shocking me a good bit tonight and this this happened.  It happened almost the moment the started to lay them over on the others
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:32:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn son... I recommend ER

If in a bad spot financially (no insurance etc) go to family Dr in the morning.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:33:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Get to the ER buddy. You will regret it if you don't.

Everything about that burn is going to get worse. Give us an update after you've been treated.

GO NOW!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:34:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have not already, get to a burn clinic immediately. Preferably, have someone else drive you. That's likely to put you in shock and you need professional treatment.

Good luck OP, that's gonna suck.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:34:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Holy fuck dude! Static?

Glad you're (mostly) ok.
View Quote
Static for sure. I saw a garage burn once from static. A guy had a siphon hose running to a plastic jug sitting on his running board. He gets it going  goes inside for a sandwich while it drains. He hears a whoosh and his cans on fire, melts apart and the gas goes spreads and he lost the whole garage.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:35:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I bet that hurts.  They like to treat hand burns asap so, you know what to do.

eta Do it now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:35:50 AM EDT
[#13]
That's more serious than you think it is.  Dial 911 and get the ambulance to come get you if that's what it takes.

NOW.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:36:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Go to the ER please
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:37:10 AM EDT
[#15]
It would be prudent to get that checked out. Burns have a nasty habit of being way, way, way worse than they look.

ETA: I see some folks beat me to the punch. It seems to be a fairly universal sentiment. Don't be proud, OP, get some medical attention.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:37:32 AM EDT
[#16]
This happened like 4 hours ago... I put the fire out and then proceeded to unfuck everything that was coated in fire extinguisher dust.

ETA: I am going in the morning.  I appreciate all the advice and take it to heart, but I'm typing with that hand as we speak (and yes it is sore).
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:38:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This happened like 4 hours ago... I put the fire out and then proceeded to unfuck everything that was coated in fire extinguisher dust
View Quote
What have you done to treat yourself?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:39:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This happened like 4 hours ago... I put the fire out and then proceeded to unfuck everything that was coated in fire extinguisher dust
View Quote
Get that checked out, dude. Burns are no shit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Reminds me a lot of a chick I dated a couple years ago.

Managed to burn both arms, upper chest (missed the boobs!) and lower face with rubbing alcohol while making tea.

http://lunchmeatneck.blogspot.com/2015/11/burn-victim-burn-survivor-day-of.html
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:39:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn. Glad you were able to extinguish the fire and minimize the damage, but that looks bad enough to possibly cause permanent issues if you don't have your hand checked by a pro.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:41:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I had similar burns many years ago.  they will keep burning and deteriorating with time.  Get ice on it while someone drives you to the ER.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:42:09 AM EDT
[#22]
That hand needs some Medical attention.
Looks like 2nd degree burns and gets infected fast.
Also your in for a world of pain tommorow.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:42:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This happened like 4 hours ago... I put the fire out and then proceeded to unfuck everything that was coated in fire extinguisher dust.

ETA: I am going in the morning.  I appreciate all the advice and take it to heart, but I'm typing with that hand as we speak (and yes it is sore).
View Quote
GO TO THE ER RIGHT NOW!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:43:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What have you done to treat yourself?
View Quote
Cleaned the wound, applied antibiotics, non-stick sterile pads, loose sport gauze wrap
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:43:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Holy fuck. I wouldn't be waiting for the ER trip.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:43:51 AM EDT
[#26]
People don't think electrons be like they is, but they do.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:44:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Seriously dude, it was bad enough to cook the epidermis and cause it slough off. You need to get treated right the fuck now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That hand needs some Medical attention.
Looks like 2nd degree burns and gets infected fast.
Also your in for a world of pain tommorow.
View Quote
Yeah, most likely 2nd...I'll let yall know how it goes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:46:40 AM EDT
[#29]
IN like hand infection!!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:50:15 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm no expert in Burns.. what will happen if op doesn't go to doctor soon?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:52:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm no expert in Burns.. what will happen if op doesn't go to doctor soon?
View Quote
Recovery will be harder and slower. Worse case, he gets a blood infection and it kills him. This will prevent him from running against the Democrat Flavor of the Week in 2024, and the Republic will fall.

Pretty much if OP doesn't get this treated properly, we can blame him for everything.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:56:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
You are might regret this decision.  There is no difference between going now and in the morning, except bad things.  There is zero reason to wait. Go right now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:59:42 AM EDT
[#33]
In this thread we see how stupid OP really is.

GO TO THE FUCKING ER NOW.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:02:29 AM EDT
[#34]
After he says he is on his way (get off the computer and go to the ER, right now):

What could have been done to prevent this, given the spill already happened?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:02:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Get the fuck to the fucking ER right fucking now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:05:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Fitting avatar.

That looks like it hurts a little.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:05:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Not a Doc, but if this many people are telling you to get to the ER now, I’d probably heed the advice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:09:21 AM EDT
[#38]
edit never mind

for any concerns seek advice from professional medical personnel
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:09:26 AM EDT
[#39]
It's gonna take 6 hours to get seen in the ER so you might as well go now and sleep after checking in.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:11:17 AM EDT
[#40]
I sense a future staph infection.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:13:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
After he says he is on his way (get off the computer and go to the ER, right now):

View Quote
MSDS info
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Step One would be to not spill acetone all over the place.
With an Lower explosive limit of 2%, acetone is EXTREMELY easy to ignite.
If you are going to do so, don't do it on absorbent foam mats.
Once the fire ignited, sounds like he did the right thing in using a ABC extinguisher to put it out, water would have just spread it around and made it worse (like gasoline)

Once burned, you're pretty well fucked. Sounds like he did alright on immediate first aid, but any burn that breaches the epidermis and covers more than a 1" diameter circle needs professional attention. I wouldn't be surprised if this burn ends up with skin grafts, though it may look worse than it is in that pic.

I gotta head to bed, but I hope to see an update from OP with news from a doc when I open this back up in the morning.

While we're on the topic, most people have no fucking idea just how many extremely flammable liquids they have in their home. High proof alcohol, virtually all rubbing alcohol, acetone (nail polish remover), not to mention your usual fuels. Gotta be fire smart, yo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:19:03 AM EDT
[#42]
The faux-macho thing guys do when we get legitimately fucked up but try to pass it off as something trivial, is so fucking stupid.

<——— tried to claim I could evac myself from the Tetons backcountry after falling (cartwheeling) 400’ down the side of a mountain going interstate driving speeds. I told the filmers I was “ok” as I tried to laugh it off while my arm dangled by my side and I struggled to speak. As soon as the urge hit me to strip off my outer layers to cool off (it was 14°) and my arm went numb, I realized shock was setting in and that I was completely fucked...the rescue team who helo’d me out thanked me for not being a dipshit and turning it into a body recovery.

Go to the fucking ER.

I came very close to losing a friend to burns a year and a half ago. While he’s not the one typing this, I guarantee he would beg you to go, so you don’t have to deal with a fraction of the living hell he lived for most of a year.

Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:27:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Recovery will be harder and slower. Worse case, he gets a blood infection and it kills him. This will prevent him from running against the Democrat Flavor of the Week in 2024, and the Republic will fall.

Pretty much if OP doesn't get this treated properly, we can blame him for everything.
View Quote
This!  I will forever blame OP for the fall of the Republic!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:28:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
A grounding of equipment perhaps?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:39:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The faux-macho thing guys do when we get legitimately fucked up but try to pass it off as something trivial, is so fucking stupid.

<——— tried to claim I could evac myself from the Tetons backcountry after falling (cartwheeling) 400’ down the side of a mountain going interstate driving speeds. I told the filmers I was “ok” as I tried to laugh it off while my arm dangled by my side and I struggled to speak. As soon as the urge hit me to strip off my outer layers to cool off (it was 14°) and my arm went numb, I realized shock was setting in and that I was completely fucked...the rescue team who helo’d me out thanked me for not being a dipshit and turning it into a body recovery.

Go to the fucking ER.

I came very close to losing a friend to burns a year and a half ago. While he’s not the one typing this, I guarantee he would beg you to go, so you don’t have to deal with a fraction of the living hell he lived for most of a year.

http://a64.tinypic.com/j998ap.jpg

http://a67.tinypic.com/qwyt77.jpg
View Quote
wow that’s horrible. What happened?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:45:50 AM EDT
[#46]
OP dead yet?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:47:41 AM EDT
[#47]
OP do yourself and your loved ones a favor and go to an ER now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:55:05 AM EDT
[#48]
There's no way I wouldn't have gone to the hospital, and I would recommend doing so now, even if it has been 4/4.5 hours.

As others have said, burns are no joke. Serious infection are a thing. I'm glad your garage is okay, and you can use your hand. Still, please don't think you can always just put these things off until, "in the morning."
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:00:52 AM EDT
[#49]
That sucks, I would still go to the ER.

But what do I know though, ive only burned off all 10 finger tips, cuticals, nail beds, and prints. Also burned off all the skin from the back of both hands. By the Grace of God, I survived. Having survived the burns on my hands and losing 50% of the hair on my head and both eye brows.  I went to the ER and came home after a few hours.

Black charred skin, hair and every other element of a human being that gets burned never gets out of your senses. You smell it again in the future and it will still turn your stomach.

I healed after 2 years (leopard prints on both hands), I had to relearn how to do basic stuff with my hands including shooting. Can not go outside without gloves on because my hands turn blood red. I have very litte grip without gloves.

Paper cuts are easy to slice open the skin on my hands.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:01:21 AM EDT
[#50]
I had 2nd degree burns that got infected and it smelled so bad.... just follow advice and see a doc...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top