Quoted:

Nope. GD IS the spectrum.

View Quote

Reeeeeeeeeeeee!
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Aspie son likes collecting MilSurp arms.  As an Aspie he is adamant about following the rules. He one of the safest gun owners you will meet.
View Quote

Mom?
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is there anyone on GD who isn't on the spectrum?
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#4]
@deeJ86

Oh wait.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#5]
It hasn't slowed me down in the slightest when waiting on NICS.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This. With that said many/most of these folks have impulse control issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A medical diagnosis like that has no impact on your gun rights
This. With that said many/most of these folks have impulse control issues.

While this is true, in my experience people with Asperger’s in particular and autism in general are at worst “lawful neutral” (in D&D terms). They are absolutely rule followers and see the world around them through that rationalist lens.

Note that “lawful” does not mean “legal” in this context; it means that they tend to rigidly adhere to their understanding of the world and rarely if ever deviate from that. As a result, assuming that they are knowledgeable of the rules of both safety and legal use of force - and I can’t imagine an Aspie person being interested in firearms who was not also one of the most knowledgeable people I knew in those areas - I would actually go so far as to say that I would trust them more fully than I would a “normal” (i.e., “neurotypical”) person with all else being equal.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

While this is true, in my experience people with Asperger’s in particular and autism in general are at worst “lawful neutral” (in D&D terms). They are absolutely rule followers and see the world around them through that rationalist lens.

Note that “lawful” does not mean “legal” in this context; it means that they tend to rigidly adhere to their understanding of the world and rarely if ever deviate from that. As a result, assuming that they are knowledgeable of the rules of both safety and legal use of force - and I can’t imagine an Aspie person being interested in firearms who was not also one of the most knowledgeable people I knew in those areas - I would actually go so far as to say that I would trust them more fully than I would a “normal” (i.e., “neurotypical”) person with all else being equal.
View Quote

Well said
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would you want Deej86 to carry a gun?
View Quote
That would most likely require him to own guns.

He can just about operate a motor vehicle without killing the general public, so I think we're safe there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got Asperger's and I've had no problems buying anything I wanted from suppressors to any other guns. Like some previous posters said the medical diagnosis has no bearing on exercising your rights. I also stopped taking medication for it when I turned 18 and am glad I did since I have other friends with autism and they now have high blood pressure problems, but that's a topic for another day. Did I mention I've got the ADHD to?  
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Careful, if the gov decides to mess with a guy like Ben Affleck’s character in The Accountant, you never know what might happen.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So it's not a former member who account suicided then...
View Quote
Is he still around on that other site?

I seem to remember that they chased him away.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top