Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/25/2019 1:33:34 PM EDT
Russian state television has listed U.S. military facilities that Moscow would target in the event of a nuclear strike, and said that a hypersonic missile Russia is developing would be able to hit them in less than five minutes.
The targets included the Pentagon and the presidential retreat in Camp David, Maryland.  
The report, unusual even by the sometimes bellicose standards of Russian state TV, was broadcast on Sunday evening, days after President Vladimir Putin said Moscow was militarily ready for a "Cuban Missile"-style crisis if the United States wanted one.  
With tensions rising over Russian fears that the United States might deploy intermediate-range nuclear missiles in Europe as a Cold War-era arms-control treaty unravels, Putin has said Russia would be forced to respond by placing hypersonic nuclear missiles on submarines near U.S. waters.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-nuclear-russia/after-putins-warning-russian-tv-lists-nuclear-targets-in-u-s-idUSKCN1QE1DM
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Orange Man again?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Russian state television has listed U.S. military facilities that Moscow would target in the event of a nuclear strike, and said that a hypersonic missile Russia is developing would be able to hit them in less than five minutes.
The targets included the Pentagon and the presidential retreat in Camp David, Maryland.  
The report, unusual even by the sometimes bellicose standards of Russian state TV, was broadcast on Sunday evening, days after President Vladimir Putin said Moscow was militarily ready for a "Cuban Missile"-style crisis if the United States wanted one.  
With tensions rising over Russian fears that the United States might deploy intermediate-range nuclear missiles in Europe as a Cold War-era arms-control treaty unravels, Putin has said Russia would be forced to respond by placing hypersonic nuclear missiles on submarines near U.S. waters.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-nuclear-russia/after-putins-warning-russian-tv-lists-nuclear-targets-in-u-s-idUSKCN1QE1DM
View Quote
It would be a shame if they listed all of the targets instead of two of the most obvious ones.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]
How is their aircraft carrier doing these days?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, where is the list?

Modern journalism sucks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Eh, as long as they hit NYC, NJ, most of the New England and California, I'm actually okay with it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Say when. We'll be there in 30 minutes or less or it's free.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Woah, woah, you mean in case of a nuclear war they'd hit important military, C2, and political sites?

I'm shocked.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I would be really curious to know how many missiles the Russians have that are actually capable of making it off the ground.

Their recent naval and air issues leads me to think they have an equal chance of nuking themselves versus nuking us.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not saying we won't get our hair mussed, but... 30 million dead Democrats tops.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#10]
So long as the ruskies have Minneapolis/St Paul targeted I don't mind. They'd be doin us a favor to wipe these places off the map. Maybe we could talk them into targeting Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, NYC, Chicago, and a few other places as well.

Eta: unknownhavoc beat me like a gay black man in Maga country.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Woah, woah, you mean in case of a nuclear war they'd hit important military, C2, and political sites?

I'm shocked.
View Quote
I'm failing to see whyou they think we should be shaking over this. I am willing to bet our subs are constantly in their waters. Do they think we would not retaliate?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Be a shame if those Russian subs started having "technical issues" and randomly started sinking

Its all flexing of course, but any Russian sub near US waters is likely actively being tracked and tailed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Eh, as long as they hit NYC, NJ, most of the New England and California, I'm actually okay with it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh, not to mention we have the largest Naval Base in the world on the east coast with a number of Aegis ships.

Whats the speed of an SM3 again?

ETA: Looks like the BMD SM3 Block 1a is roughly Mach 15
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Im sorry but Putin is a paper tiger like those big mouths in the Middle East
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

My point stands.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm failing to see whyou they think we should be shaking over this. I am willing to bet our subs are constantly in their waters. Do they think we would not retaliate?
View Quote
The news story serves two purposes. 1. Showing down for the domestic mouth breathers in Putin's shit hole country. 2. Is supposed to ruffle feathers in our neck of the woods.

Straight out of the cold war playbook. For those too young to remember the cold war, this kind of rhetoric was a weekly occurrence.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol, in drydock.  Permanently.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ok, where is the list?

Modern journalism sucks.
View Quote
No shit. Article says but doesn't include a list. What kind of half assed reporting is that?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Orange Man again?
View Quote
Can’t be. He and Putin are best buds
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh the times they are a changin'

We need you Dr. Manhattan
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what real Russian interference in our elections would look like.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm torn, should I invest in a bigger desk so I can start practicing duck and cover again.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I know russia say's they've launched these things "up to mach 8"

but is there even any proof of this?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So long as the ruskies have Minneapolis/St Paul targeted I don't mind. They'd be doin us a favor to wipe these places off the map. Maybe we could talk them into targeting Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, NYC, Chicago, and a few other places as well.

Eta: unknownhavoc beat me like a gay black man in Maga country.
I know yer havin' fun guys, but I gotta say, don't wish for a nuclear exchange.  I have a nuclear emergency response kit, and most do not. So I can identify and avoid areas of radioactive contamination, which often spreads far, far from the blast zone.  Everybody else gets to wander around lost and vomiting like a bad scene from The Day After (TV Movie 1983)
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would be really curious to know how many missiles the Russians have that are actually capable of making it off the ground.

Their recent naval and air issues leads me to think they have an equal chance of nuking themselves versus nuking us.
View Quote
And, yet, we trust and use their missiles to ferry our astronauts to the international space station.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I know yer havin' fun guys, but I gotta say, don't wish for a nuclear exchange.  I have a nuclear emergency response kit, and most do not. So I can identify and avoid areas of radioactive contamination, which often spreads far, far from the blast zone.  Everybody else gets to wander around lost and vomiting like a bad scene from The Day After (TV Movie 1983)
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/76/full/1532357695_1.gif
View Quote
In all honesty, that's probably a better death than we'd get if the Democrats got their way.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#29]
New York, Boston, Denver and Los Angels aren't included. See map at link:

https://www.businessinsider.com/likely-us-nuclear-targets-2017-5

I join FNBrowning in not wanting a nuclear war.  Does anyone seriously believe that the missile defense system would be used to protect the general population?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm shocked.
View Quote
I'm sure people smarter than me have discussed this, but I wonder how/if targets have changed to cause large disruptions to modern commerce.

Tech company data centers, the Hoover dam, major airports, NYSE, etc.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
And, yet, we trust and use their missiles to ferry our astronauts to the international space station.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How often are the nuclear missiles checked versus the missiles used to launch into space? I assume anything mechanical needs periodic upkeep including the warheads?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#32]
At one point they were targeting a structure at the center of the Pentagon, because is was clearly important. People were always going in and out of it.

it is a hotdog stand.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Yawn. The Russians aren't that stupid.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#34]
DUCK AND COVER!  DUCK AND COVER!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm not saying we won't get our hair mussed, but... 30 million dead Democrats tops.
View Quote
gee, I wish we had a missile that could target that many Democrats....
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Im sorry but Putin is a paper tiger like those big mouths in the Middle East
View Quote
True. He has been around long enough to know any such attack would be met with a devastating response. He is just trying to look big and bad in front of his people.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Came to see if I'm on the list. Left disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#38]
@FNBrowning

You really have a nuclear emergency response kit? What does that entail?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I hope Pennington Gap, VA didn't make the list. Our two stoplights are vital to the country not to mention our large standing FSA.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Anybody that doesn't have SPF 1,000,000 sunblock is gonna have a real bad day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm shocked.
Sarcasm.

An 11 year old with an interest in military stuff could pick a likely nuke target list.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Come back when you understand how a nuclear war actually works.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#46]
The Russkies have exponentially more than 4 US sites on their nuwep target lists.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#47]
That word "Hypersonic"... I don't think it means what you think it means (Putin)!

It really bugs me that people don't seem to know that an ICBM is by definition "hypersonic". 16,000 MPH bro... do you even math?!?

We should send some to him. Arm them with MIRDs... Multiple Independent Reentry Dildos.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
New York, Boston, Denver and Los Angels aren't included. See map at link:

https://www.businessinsider.com/likely-us-nuclear-targets-2017-5

I join FNBrowning in not wanting a nuclear war.  Does anyone seriously believe that the missile defense system would be used to protect the general population?
View Quote
The general population isn't the target.  It's our strategic and tactical nuclear arms and conventional armed forces.

With current weapon inventories, nuclear war between two nations is borderline winnable by one of those nations.  It's not MAD anymore.  It's the paradox of arms reduction.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
DUCK AND COVER!  DUCK AND COVER!!
View Quote
Which is, to this very day, excellent advise.  The men who promoted that stuff all those years ago understood the use and effects of nuclear weapons.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Let's see...  looks like business as usual.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top