Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Built like a tank..........and sails like one too.

I worked in a boat yard back in the early 90s.  We pulled a Westsail 32 once.  It was the heaviest 32' boat I'd ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The one that goes to Whore island.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cape Dory 45! Only 3 made so good luck! Add the Swedish Bikini team and profit!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/DriftPunch/cape_dory_45_photo.jpg

Man, those are sweet boats. I've wanted a Cape Dory 330 or 36 since I was a kid. I had a dream of bluewater cruising and that seemed like the perfect boat at the time.

My best friend's dad has a 330 up in Maine.  He's older, and is no longer able to use it properly so I imagine it'll hit the market shortly.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1-2 Mil? Dude, you need "Fuck You Money" to really do what you're thinking about. I wouldn't even do it until I had "Fuck You & Your Entire Family" money.

If I did? US Submarines Phoenix 1000. 65 Meter luxury submarine.

http://www.ussubmarines.com/images/subs/phoenix.jpg

http://www.ussubmarines.com/images/subs/phoenix_interior.jpg

I figure it'd pay for itself after making a few runs to Columbia and back anyway

Now that's badass. If I'd won that $500 million lottery I'd definitely have gotten one of those. I'd love to have my own sub. Out on the ocean and in rough seas? DIVE! Pirates? No need to repel a boarding party, just dive. I've played too much Silent Hunter 3.

That thing is making me wonder if torpedo tubes would be considered destructive devices under the NFA (obviously live torpedoes would be considered such).
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1-2 Mil? Dude, you need "Fuck You Money" to really do what you're thinking about. I wouldn't even do it until I had "Fuck You & Your Entire Family" money.

I figure it'd pay for itself after making a few runs to Colombia and back anyway

Now that's badass. If I'd won that $500 million lottery I'd definitely have gotten one of those. I'd love to have my own sub. Out on the ocean and in rough seas? DIVE! Pirates? No need to repel a boarding party, just dive. I've played too much Silent Hunter 3.

That thing is making me wonder if torpedo tubes would be considered destructive devices under the NFA (obviously live torpedoes would be considered such).

It's all fun and games until you flood the tubes while playing tag with a USN fast attack.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I figure it'd pay for itself after making a few runs to Colombia and back anyway

It's all fun and games until you flood the tubes while playing tag with a USN fast attack.

I'm thinking merchantmen more than attack subs.  It'd be sweet to buy a derelict merchant ship just to torpedo it with your luxury submarine.  If I'm paying $80 million I want it to be worthwhile.  I bet a pirate would have a really bad day getting a torpedo in the side of his mothership, too.  A luxury privateer submarine would be badass.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you had a somewhat limited budget of $1-2M (give or take a little) total and you wanted to retire to the ocean and do island hopping outside the U.S., what boat would you choose?

What islands would (or could) you safely visit and resupply at for extended visits?

What logistics problems do you foresee?

Keep in mind that with the given budget, you can't spend it all on the boat. You need money to buy food, fuel, and basic necessities.

The boat needs to be highly reliable and very seaworthy for long blue water voyages.

It must be manageable by a crew of 2-3 people.

Is the boat for Mid Latitudes or High Latitudes?

IF it's Mid Latitudes...I would seriously consider an Atlantic 48 Catamaran.
Advantages of a CAT with a Reinforced Bottom
FAST
STABLE
You can Beach it at Low Tide and do your maintence on the Hull
The Shallow Draft opens up a lot of lagoons at a lot of Atolls

Disadvantages
CATS don't self right..so if a large rogue wave hits you...you are toast.

IF it's HIGH Latitudes I would consider a Westsail 42 or 43
Cost to acquire would be about 150K
and about 80K to refit

IF you have a LOT of Money...a custom made Colin Archer

IF you are Poor and want a Go Anywhere Boat and that you can also single hand - a Westsail 32 rigged for solo sailing.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:02:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay OP, the Hemisphere Cat was a bit large anyway. To be serious, I'd find a Gemini Cat in the 30'-40' range. They can be had for $150K on the used market. My dream boat actually and I'm not waiting until I find $1-2mil in my pocket.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:19:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Okay OP, the Hemisphere Cat was a bit large anyway. To be serious, I'd find a Gemini Cat in the 30'-40' range. They can be had for $150K on the used market. My dream boat actually and I'm not waiting until I find $1-2mil in my pocket.
http://www.yachtcouncil.com/media/yacht_images/108956/Catamaran-Other-108956-Exterior.jpg
http://www.sednasystem.com/MassMail/gall/O196/gemini2/gemini2.jpg
http://www.gemini105mc.com/gemini/images/Layout.jpg

The 7th pic in your second pic doesn't look planned.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:58:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Oyster 46.

Was on one at Annapolis.  Beautiful.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The minute you say used Sea Ray, I'm thinking you need to do more homework on boat quality.

I looooove sportfisherman type boats! A used Hatteras 60 fter is my dream boat and is about as bulletproof as it gets. Also look into 80's Bertram, Egg Harbor, Viking, are also great choices they sleep many people. Look for a boat that has been refitted and the diesels have been overhauled. Paying for a survey and engine compression testing is worth its weight in gold. On a budget an 80s Bertram with a complete overhaul and overhauled engines is probably your best bet! Good luck man I hope it works out!

I killed the Sea Ray already. At the moment, the only two on my list (I would be happy to add and compare others, so please keep sharing!!) are the Swift Trawler 52, the Nordic Tug 54, and the Great Harbour GH47.  The Nordic Tug 54 is currently the front-runner.

I'm definitely more interested in motor than sail.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:18:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I think I'm basically settled on a Nordhavn 47. Thanks to everyone for the valuable input!

Now I need to understand what I would be sacrificing if I bought, say... a 10 year old model vs a 2 year old model. The difference in price is literally hundreds of thousands of dollars. Are electronics or other amenities very different?
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:29:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The design looks like it was based, in drawing, on a Type XXI.
Ie,

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:36:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
M y buddy's $300K boat sank last week or maybe 2 weeks when those storms blew through Ft Walton Beach. Apparently a few boats were sunk in that storm.

I'm not sure I would want all my possessions on a boat.

YMMV

Bad weekend to loan him all your guns huh?

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok, the decision has been made (tentatively). It's going to be a Nordhavn 47.

The ship seems to have the right size, the capability to cross oceans (if you're brave enough), and the reasonable comfort levels that I'm looking for.

Next comes the self-education part. I have a lot of learning and preparation to do. As one seasoned fella has already told me, you can only have your ass handed to you once on the open sea.

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The ship seems to have the right size, the capability to cross oceans (if you're brave enough), and the reasonable comfort levels that I'm looking for.

Next comes the self-education part. I have a lot of learning and preparation to do. As one seasoned fella has already told me, you can only have your ass handed to you once on the open sea.

Just out of curiosity, what level of Mariner experience do you currently posses?

Buy and memorize "Chapman's".

Get your captains license through one of the schools.  (and I don't mean your 6pack license)

Get as much time on the water as you can.  Nothing, and I mean NOTHING replaces 1st hand experience.  Once you do acquire your vessel, spend a year getting to know it in coastal waters before you go globe trotting.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 6:22:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, what level of Mariner experience do you currently posses?

Buy and memorize "Chapman's".

Get your captains license through one of the schools.  (and I don't mean your 6pack license)

Get as much time on the water as you can.  Nothing, and I mean NOTHING replaces 1st hand experience.  Once you do acquire your vessel, spend a year getting to know it in coastal waters before you go globe trotting.

None.

But let me be clear, I'm realistic about such things and I have a history of taking on big challenges with success.

My plan to acquire the boat is several years down the road, not just for financial reasons but moreso because I expect to spend much of that time learning. Once I acquire the boat, I will not point it immediately towards open sea and haul ass, with my fingers crossed. I would take things slow, talk to experienced blue water folks, and gradually increase my skills and experience until I felt I was ready for such a challenge.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 6:28:06 AM EDT
[#20]
From experience of going deep sea fishing all most every weekend for 3 years.   I can't tell what type of boat to buy.   But my  suggestion is get the biggest damn boat you can afford.   I got less sea sick on the larger boats and when you are miles from shore...............you/ I felt/feel  a tad more secure.  And the larger boats sure handle the waves better.

If you can afford an aircraft carrier than get it.

GD
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
From experience of going deep sea fishing all most every weekend for 3 years.   I can't tell what type of boat to buy.   But my  suggestion is get the biggest damn boat you can afford.   I got less sea sick on the larger boats and when you are miles from shore...............you/ I felt/feel  a tad more secure.  And the larger boats sure handle the waves better.

GD

I can't but I would think a 47-footer wouldn't be too bad.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The one with bitches on it.

Don't all boats come with said bitches????
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GD

Without stabilizers, it'll be horrible in the ocean.  On a bay or river, its size will be good enough outside of a real blow.  In the ocean, you'll end up turning into or with the waves to stop it when its bad.  I imagine a yacht like you are looking at would have a couple of big ones as options.  

This is why sailboats are hugely popular, even among those who aren't real 'sailors'.  The keel, be it full or just a dagger with a torpedo, is there to provide hydrodynamic lift AND for simple ballast.  While this provides a few cons like weight and draft, a huge pro is rock solid stability.  Power boats, especially planing hulls are much more prone to rolling, hence the fact that stabilizers are common.

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Cape Dory 45! Only 3 made so good luck! Add the Swedish Bikini team and profit!

Man, those are sweet boats. I've wanted a Cape Dory 330 or 36 since I was a kid. I had a dream of bluewater cruising and that seemed like the perfect boat at the time.

My best friend's dad has a 330 up in Maine.  He's older, and is no longer able to use it properly so I imagine it'll hit the market shortly.

Too bad I live 200 miles inland now. My bluewater cruising dreams died years ago, and I'd never waste a fine open water boat like that by confining it to a lake. I'll have to stick to my bass boat for now.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd buy the HMCS Fraser. She was sold for $1.00. I'm not sure how sea worthy $2 million would make her. Sadly she was towed away to be scrapped a few years ago..
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

GD

Without stabilizers, it'll be horrible in the ocean.  On a bay or river, its size will be good enough outside of a real blow.  In the ocean, you'll end up turning into or with the waves to stop it when its bad.  I imagine a yacht like you are looking at would have a couple of big ones as options.  

This is why sailboats are hugely popular, even among those who aren't real 'sailors'.  The keel, be it full or just a dagger with a torpedo, is there to provide hydrodynamic lift AND for simple ballast.  While this provides a few cons like weight and draft, a huge pro is rock solid stability.  Power boats, especially planing hulls are much more prone to rolling, hence the fact that stabilizers are common.

While not sailboat stable the Nordhavn 47 is a heavy, stable craft. There is a bunch of weight below the water line and a good deep V hull. No need for stabilizers on a boat that size.

If the swells are large any craft will need to turn into the seas. The only time I can remember having to was in huge seas off Mexico. On a 44' sportfisher in 33' seas. We fished in the trough in 10-15' seas no problem.

The large cruzer design like he is looking at are made to handle rough seas while plowing along at slow speeds. Heading into the swell a sailboat will give you a better ride, anything else and it is equal.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
While not sailboat stable the Nordhavn 47 is a heavy, stable craft. There is a bunch of weight below the water line and a good deep V hull. No need for stabilizers on a boat that size.

If the swells are large any craft will need to turn into the seas. The only time I can remember having to was in huge seas off Mexico. On a 44' sportfisher in 33' seas. We fished in the trough in 10-15' seas no problem.

The large cruzer design like he is looking at are made to handle rough seas while plowing along at slow speeds. Heading into the swell a sailboat will give you a better ride, anything else and it is equal.

From what I have been reading, the Nordhavn 47 is pretty good at handling it. I would try very hard to avoid any huge swells but with a slow boat, you can't always avoid it.

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I have been reading, the Nordhavn 47 is pretty good at handling it. I would try very hard to avoid any huge swells but with a slow boat, you can't always avoid it.

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Bah. I can't figure out how to embed.

This is what scares me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#30]
The one Hulk Hogan had in Thunder in Paradise!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

This is what scares me.

If you're ponying up for a 47 foot trawler, pony up for a membership!

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#32]
my old halberg rassy-had to sell it....in this economy it was on the market for 7 days and a guy from chile bought it...itll go around the world
me and the wife in a nice windy race

boat i use now for 2 or 3 weeks a year in maine-my dads pearson-not the build qual of a halberg rassy but it has refrig, shower, propane heater, raymarine goodies

when I retire, wife and I are going halberg rassy 38 or pacific seacraft 37 of if we could ever find one a Fast Passage 39: not a  better around the world boat in the world for 2 people at less than 150k

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#33]
A Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37 would do me quite nicely  eta...lol at the post above

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is what scares me.

I'll pass on that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
my old halberg rassy-had to sell it....in this economy it was on the market for 7 days and a guy from chile bought it...itll go around the world
me and the wife in a nice windy race

[email=mailto:http://www.flickr.com/photos/74918254@N08/7415467744/]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5316/7415467744_e3e028da56_z.jpg[/email]

boat i use now for 2 or 3 weeks a year in maine-my dads pearson-not the build qual of a halberg rassy but it has refrig, shower, propane heater, raymarine goodies
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m296/raizer_02/boatbunker.jpg

when I retire, wife and I are going halberg rassy 38 or pacific seacraft 37 of if we could ever find one a Fast Passage 39: not a  better around the world boat in the world for 2 people at less than 150k
[email=mailto:http://www.flickr.com/photos/74918254@N08/7415566680/]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8009/7415566680_99f9ae0d48.jpg[/email]

Beautiful boats but I'm not sure a sail is right for me. It's always possible that I'll change my mind as I learn more.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#36]
If you can afford the fuel, I'd look at some custom Carolina boats.  This is a Spencer, but there are a few companies that make some really awesome boats, Jarett Bay, Bayliss Boatworks, Sculley, etc....

It will get you where you want to go quickly too.  Most of the higher end Carolina boats cruise at about 35kt.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#37]
At this point, I think it has to be a full displacement hull trawler.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
At this point, I think it has to be a full displacement hull trawler.

I agree.

I'll stick with the boat I own.

DeFever PassageMaker 40 trawler. Gone about 12,000 miles in the last 4 years.

Unlike most trawlers, this one was built in the USA.

Cummins 6bt5.9
Northern Lights 8kw gen
22 hp Yanmar wing engine
400 gal fuel
1500 mile range
20 g/hr watermaker

I want active fin stabilization, but can't justify the 30 grand.

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#39]
A Pershing 115, but there is no way that would fit your budget.  Rough estimate is $20K to fuel it and without the turbine option it is 273 feet (yes feet) per gallon.

Pershing Yachts
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#40]
OP, can you net one of these up and troll for your own shrimp and stuff?
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#42]

I totally concur.  When I read the story about the 32' Westsail Satori and how fantastically she weathered the storm that became the basis of the book "A Perfect Storm", I was amazed and told myself that if I ever bought I boat for serious cruising it would be that one.

story is here -> http://www.westsail.org/satoristorm

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The design looks like it was based, in drawing, on a Type XXI.
Ie,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/2004-Bremerhaven_U-Boot-Museum-Sicherlich_retouched.jpg

I thought the same thing when I saw the the drawing.  Eberhard Rossler's book The U-Boat is the definitive book to have on the subject.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#44]
This is an awesome question and thread.
I have some sailing experience (I have a 21-foot sloop I christened The Argo), but in the $1-2M range (in my dreams), I would probably buy an old small- to medium-sized tanker and fix it up to be wholly self-sufficient.
In short, I'd start my own little, floating island micro-nation in the Pacific.  
It would, naturally, be crewed with beautiful females and rough men carrying a ridiculous arsenal of the nicest firearms.  I can dream...

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#46]
right now we're looking at a 32' morgan. dream boat would be a 52 Vagabond ketch, although a 52 footer isa little large for single or dual handling.

To go crusing on a stinkpot you do need money to burn
Boats cost by the foot and that includes operating moaring and repair

BOAT= Bring Out Another Thousand
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Cape Dory 45!  Only 3 made so good luck!  Add the Swedish Bikini team and profit!

WE almost bought a CD 30 foot when we were shopping for sail boats but settled on a Bayfield 29. If I were on the lookout for a blue water sailor I'd look at a Gozzard, Tayana or similar full keel cutter/yawl rigged sail boat preferably with an enclosed pilot house in the 36-40 foot range.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#48]

bin there done that,  43' gulfstar durning hurican Ike.  20 foot waves and 30knt winds coming out of block island sound.  Man what a ride. not much to windward though
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Wetsnail! I wanted one of those for the longest time, hull blisters and all.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top