BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Elena, designed by Nathanael Herreshoff. One of the most beautiful man made objects, if you ask me. I think this is about $12 million, but I wouldn't care. I have a thing for sailboats. I really have a thing for wooden sailboats. Traditional styling like this gives me wood as well. I can't think of one Herreshoff  design that  I don't love.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj255/LanceKilkenny/Elena-03-big.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj255/LanceKilkenny/Elena2.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj255/LanceKilkenny/yacht-elena1.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj255/LanceKilkenny/Elena.jpg

you sir, have excellent taste. as for me: I'll take the 88 foot 100 year old schooner I currently work on. finest sailing boat I've ever been on. and easy on the eyes to boot.

PS. fuck modern motoryachts. see enough of em and they all eventually start to look the same. a classic sailing yacht on the other hand.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Pfff chump change. Let me break my piggy bank

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you had a somewhat limited budget of $1-2M (give or take a little) total and you wanted to retire to the ocean and do island hopping outside the U.S., what boat would you choose?

What islands would (or could) you safely visit and resupply at for extended visits?

What logistics problems do you foresee?

Keep in mind that with the given budget, you can't spend it all on the boat. You need money to buy food, fuel, and basic necessities.

The boat needs to be highly reliable and very seaworthy for long blue water voyages.

It must be manageable by a crew of 2-3 people.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989/Custom-Patrol-2448059/Japan

okay, it's probably a tad radioactive....
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Grew up on a 25 catalina with the pop-top and shoal keel. Great, reliable boat. Had outboard engine which had a really poorly designed mount and could be "exciting" around docks in bad weather. Parent's had to leave me on a dock in Canada during bad weather when a large ferry came in at same time we were trying to check in to customs. Always wanted a 27 or 30 footer with the atomic 4 inboard.

Quoted:
And here I have been drooling over 25' Catalina's on Craigslist for the past two years trying to find that diamond in the rough...some of these boats are insane!

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Grew up on a 25 catalina with the pop-top and shoal keel. Great, reliable boat. Had outboard engine which had a really poorly designed mount and could be "exciting" around docks in bad weather. Parent's had to leave me on a dock in Canada during bad weather when a large ferry came in at same time we were trying to check in to customs. Always wanted a 27 or 30 footer with the atomic 4 inboard.

Quoted:
And here I have been drooling over 25' Catalina's on Craigslist for the past two years trying to find that diamond in the rough...some of these boats are insane!

YES! I read about that inboard diesel being amazingly fuel efficient and way better than the kicker motors. The sacrifice is the keel though, and no more shallow water playtime. I think it would be a great way to spend the weekend since we are on a big lake (Oneida) which connects to Ontario by way of canal. That is a lot of area to sail and we have plenty of wind. The only problem is that I have never sailed! That might be what is holding me back. I spent a lot of time on the water, but always with a motor. Except for my kayak of course. Sailing just seems like the way to go if you will be away from shore for any length of time. If you are island hopping then maybe a motor vessel is the way to go. I am far from an expert, but I do have dreams!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#8]

I like the 62 better. Looks more "merchant" like. Read somewhere that they're getting rid of it in favor of the 63.

I think it's also because the 62 has that long passageway where the staterooms are. ETA: I see the 63 featured has that long passage forward that I like, unlike the plans on their website. Still like the 62's lines better.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 6:23:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I like the 62 better. Looks more "merchant" like. Read somewhere that they're getting rid of it in favor of the 63.

I think it's also because the 62 has that long passageway where the staterooms are.

That's a beauty. Unfortunately, too far out of my range unless something drastically changes.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top