Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/3/2014 2:08:38 AM EDT
You know, these State Troopers up in Alaska have a legitimately dangerous job, arguably far wost than any LEO in the lower 48 - yet they still don't intimidate the citizens with Special Forces gear and loadouts like many of these large cities do.  

These Alaska State Troopers still look professional, sharp all while still wearing protective gear.  This is how LEO should carry themselves.

In my opinion, I will actually respect a LEO much more if they present themselves like this - oppose to the traffic-ticket-writing city cop with MARPAT BDU's, boonie hat and desert boots.

When Law Enforcement dress conservative, professional like these guys, to me - they are showing the citizen respect by not trying to intimidate them, and in turn I am certain it will result in more return respect for the LEO's.  

As for the 2 state troopers who just lost their lives, RIP.  I have respect for these guys, they have a dangerous job up there.  It doesn't look like alot of slapdicks slip through the cracks in a work environment like Alaska State Troopers...these guys all seem squared away and professional from what I gather....

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:13:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Troopers have earth colored utilities too.

I have to say, I have never encountered an agency that I was more impressed by.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:16:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Agreed, very professional, respectable group. Can't say that about most in the lower 48.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:19:37 AM EDT
[#3]
AST's are LEO in what is arguably the wild wild west. They have a different mentality and respect for the job that anyone in the lower 49 could never have without actually living it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:23:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I was watching an episode last night where they were at a call of a man with a gun. They arrived on scene and proceeded to talk to the guy that was shooting off rounds from his AR15 from inside his house.

They managed to wait him out until he sobered up, and he walked out of his house and they calmly walked him to one of their cruisers and took him to jail.

No SWAT teams, no burning down his house, no shots fired by the Troopers, no dog pile and ripping his arms out of socket trying to cuff him, no "STOP RESISTING" while they are beating his head in.  It was refreshing to watch really.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:27:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Watched one episode where the guy flew in to some Podunk village to arrest a dude for some felony warrant. Flies in, talks to the guy, tells him he won't cuff him til they get in the plane so he doesn't have to march through the village like that, but he has to "come in" and get the matter taken care of. Dude went peacefully.

Lower 49 would have had a dozen guys smashing down the door (of the wrong house, since they wouldn't have asked a local dude to point the house out), and I don't even want to think about how many sled dogs would have been killed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:29:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I do like the show, try to watch when I can.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:33:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Foxhound308, right on!
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I worked some of the deadliest highways around with a dozen different troopers over the years.  I've been on many scenes where we are swimming in chaos and blood and AST has shown the meaning of professionalism.  

AST rides solo and they are true cowboys in their no back up style of policing.  Balls of steel.

I am sick for my brothers in the pain they are going through right now. Never Forget.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Haven't seen much militarization here in Delaware and know many state and local cops.

They will use every dirty trick to incriminate to get a result for traffic stops.

My police friends all seem OK, but experiences of friends and family can be quite negative. Professional? Only a few IMO.

I would get police involved in something unless it was absolutely necessary.

Helpful for auto accidents maybe but very little else.

Crimes are actually seldom reported in the local "News Journal".

One former state police commander friend told me, "crime would fill the newspapers every day if reported"

Thinks like home invasions,  and fugitive felons, very common, very rarely get coverage.

Numerous murders don't get coverage, especially in the lower bits of society.

We have been getting some fleets of black SUV's kept in the county lots and have seen some armored trucks, but seldom in action.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:00:30 AM EDT
[#10]
there are few professionals left anywhere, including leos
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:12:01 AM EDT
[#11]
If the laws of your society requires an army of heavily armed men kicking in doors, shooting dogs, and throwing your ass in a MRAP, your society fucked up the creation and implementation of laws.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:16:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats one of the reasons I continue to watch  the show.  No "Cops" mentality, no show of force for the camera, just down to earth troopers who do their job.  As one of the posters above stated "Balls of steel" is apt especially for the female troopers.  

"I apologize for nothing."
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:23:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You know, these State Troopers up in Alaska have a legitimately dangerous job, arguably far wost than any LEO in the lower 48 - yet they still don't intimidate the citizens with Special Forces gear and loadouts like many of these large cities do.  

These Alaska State Troopers still look professional, sharp all while still wearing protective gear.  This is how LEO should carry themselves.

In my opinion, I will actually respect a LEO much more if they present themselves like this - oppose to the traffic-ticket-writing city cop with MARPAT BDU's, boonie hat and desert boots.

When Law Enforcement dress conservative, professional like these guys, to me - they are showing the citizen respect by not trying to intimidate them, and in turn I am certain it will result in more return respect for the LEO's.  

As for the 2 state troopers who just lost their lives, RIP.  I have respect for these guys, they have a dangerous job up there.  It doesn't look like alot of slapdicks slip through the cracks in a work environment like Alaska State Troopers...these guys all seem squared away and professional from what I gather....

http://media.adn.com/smedia/2011/02/12/22/5824358.100716.original.aurora_standalone.prod_affiliate.7.jpg
View Quote

Yup I agree they look very professional, not like storm troopers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:23:23 AM EDT
[#14]
If I had to take a wild ass guess as to why AST are so professional and community driven (besides the fact that they are professionals and community driven), I would say it is because they need the communities support if things go bad. LEOs a lot of the lower 48 have backup available within minutes, their backup is hours or even days away. You would really not want to piss off the people who will be rushing to your aid when shit gets out of hand.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:34:54 AM EDT
[#15]
From the local paper it sounds like the 2 who died Wednesday were arresting a guy at his house(threatening people with a shotgun), there was a struggle and during the struggle the guy's 19 year old son showed up with a semi auto long gun opened up from the rear. I doubt they knew what happened.

The troopers that I have had contact with are very professional, matter of fact, and no BS on the clock. The one that I have hung out with OFF the clock is a riot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:41:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I saw an episode wherein a woman had turned in her boyfriend/husband because he was "drunk and angry with lots of guns"

They showed up and talked to him from the road....he said something like "Yep, I'm drunk and there are guns in here, just leave me alone"

They let him be, saying he had not committed a crime. Imagine that scenario in Chicago...
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:49:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haven't seen much militarization here in Delaware and know many state and local cops.

They will use every dirty trick to incriminate to get a result for traffic stops.

My police friends all seem OK, but experiences of friends and family can be quite negative. Professional? Only a few IMO.

I would get police involved in something unless it was absolutely necessary.

Helpful for auto accidents maybe but very little else.

Crimes are actually seldom reported in the local "News Journal".

One former state police commander friend told me, "crime would fill the newspapers every day if reported"

Thinks like home invasions,  and fugitive felons, very common, very rarely get coverage.

Numerous murders don't get coverage, especially in the lower bits of society.

We have been getting some fleets of black SUV's kept in the county lots and have seen some armored trucks, but seldom in action.

View Quote

The bolded part is very true, I see it every day. where I work holds 1542 (when maxed at capacity) inmates. all but 336 of those beds are for maximum/ med custody inmates ( murder, rape, ), there are 3 other facilities who hold the "nicer " inmates and this is for one county
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:26:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't know if it's SOP but I don't agree with the disarming of people who are legally carrying in order to run the gun's serial number that they've showed on the program.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:42:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Extremely squared away department, they have a good SWAT element as well.  I chuckle at your "Special Forces Intimidation" description of other agencies, though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Same to be said for Conservation Officers/Game Wardens.  Here in Mi, they look like storm troopers(bloused pants, green BDU type uniform).  I like the Wardens show in Wy/Mt.  They wear blue jeans, carhart type vests, regular hunter type gun belts(usually with colt type 1911s!), and their attitude is similar, kind of like, Lets see if we can do this legally vs I gotcha!
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Same to be said for Conservation Officers/Game Wardens.  Here in Mi, they look like storm troopers(bloused pants, green BDU type uniform).  I like the Wardens show in Wy/Mt.  They wear blue jeans, carhart type vests, regular hunter type gun belts(usually with colt type 1911s!), and their attitude is similar, kind of like, Lets see if we can do this legally vs I gotcha!
View Quote

In some places wardens and deputies get into a lot of gunfights with drug growers. One agency averaged one a week.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:48:03 AM EDT
[#22]
So, I'm just going to assume you didn't see the pictures of the 20+ troopers that showed up to Tanana in full assault gear, with suppressed SBR ARs and all?
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:16:52 AM EDT
[#23]
The first Alaska State Trooper I ever encountered picked me up hitch-hiking.
He secured my pack, knife and rifle in the trunk and I got to meet a true Alaskan professional.

I rode for him for well over an hour and he was an immense supply of good, practical, down to earth knowledge.

Samples:

"You can camp at Ft. Abercrombie in Kodiak for 2 weeks at a time but the last I heard is the way they are enforcing it is that they let you move your tent to another site and let it slide and start the two weeks over again. You might find someone in the Fort to trade sites every two weeks if it's crowded." (proved to be 100% true)

"I don't know when the season officially starts but a lot of the canneries have bunk houses you can stay in for little or nothing if you work there. Check out the B&B cannery. My neighbor's kid says they're pretty good to work for." (again proved to be 100% true)

"Your chances of getting on a fish boat are slim. You'd be better off trying to find shore side work" Spot on.

"There's a lot stuff they enforce in the Lower 48 that we can't be bothered with unless we're specifically called for it. If you have a lick of common sense you will know what is and isn't important." True story. That shocked me to hear a LEO say that to say the least.

"Most people that move here are either running from something or looking for something. If someone is trying to escape a serious crime we'll eventually catch up with him. If it's something minor he can generally get a fresh start here if he behaves himself."  QFT

Much of this has likely changed but you have to remember this was in the later part of the 70s when I met this officer.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I worked some of the deadliest highways around with a dozen different troopers over the years.  I've been on many scenes where we are swimming in chaos and blood and AST has shown the meaning of professionalism.  

AST rides solo and they are true cowboys in their no back up style of policing.  Balls of steel.

I am sick for my brothers in the pain they are going through right now. Never Forget.

View Quote
What happened in Tanana? I just saw my Aunts FB post offering condolences, but no explanation. I know two troopers got killed but no ideas what happened.

ETA: Got it. Bad deal. Feel awful for the Troopers, and their families.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#25]
All the AST footage I've seen indicates that they're well received and respected by the populace, even those they're arresting.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All the AST footage I've seen indicates that they're well received and respected by the populace, even those they're arresting.
View Quote

You may want to watch it again.

Some of the morons they stop sound like some people here. They routinely are cussed out too, as they are oppressors and the white man.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If I had to take a wild ass guess as to why AST are so professional and community driven (besides the fact that they are professionals and community driven), I would say it is because they need the communities support if things go bad. LEOs a lot of the lower 48 have backup available within minutes, their backup is hours or even days away. You would really not want to piss off the people who will be rushing to your aid when shit gets out of hand.
View Quote

Alaskans are a funny breed.

If you are a good cop making a legitimate bust even some of the druggies and thugs will back you up.

OTOH if you are just being a jerk making life miserable for someone for no good reason and you find your hands full. You will find that some enterprising soul has set up bleachers and a popcorn stand so everyone can be entertained.

The AST are VERY community driven.

Fairweather Day, 1985. Yukatat, AK. On the beach at the party. Several guys with fireworks acting somewhat irresponsibly. This includes some of the most serious cherry bombs I have ever seen.

Enter the trooper.

"Hey, guys. How about if you just take those things down the beach about fifty yards or so and give the rest of us a show."

"We can do that."

"Thanks. Got any mortars?"

These people are trained in public safety and are given a lot of latitude in using common sense.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Some of the morons they stop sound like some people here. They routinely are cussed out too, as they are oppressors and the white man.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a lot of belligerent natives there. Instant belligerency, just add alcohol.

The belligerency isn't limited only toward the troopers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:38:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I've watched the show, and they are not trying to impose their will on the people they come in contact with. They are going by the law, and not by how they personally "feel" about the individuals they come in contact with. Love their badges too!

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Agreed, very professional, respectable group. Can't say that about most in the lower 48.
View Quote

Well, if you have encountered "most" in the lower 48 and can actually speak to that fact - you are doing something wrong.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#31]
You do realize that 99% of LEOs in the lower 48 in daily duty also dress this way right?  Some of you spend way too much time on the internet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don't know if it's SOP but I don't agree with the disarming of people who are legally carrying in order to run the gun's serial number that they've showed on the program.
View Quote

I do not agree with it at all. I would be pretty pissed. Do not know how often it happens, but I recall someone here saying it happened to him so it isn't just the show.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
State game wardens in Wy. are generally decent guys. Fed. fish and snitch are fuck heads.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

They have 10mm Glocks, they need no other weapons!!!!!!!
, I really respect them! Just about everyone that I know respects/thinks highly of the Alaska State Troopers!!!! Everyone that that took (couple of years ago) the missions trip to Alaska told me that they hoped to meet a Alaska state trooper. That says a lot, IMHO!
I really hate that they lost two of their own this last week.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What happened in Tanana? I just saw my Aunts FB post offering condolences, but no explanation. I know two troopers got killed but no ideas what happened.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

guy was threatening people with a shotgun, threatened the unarmed village safety officer(more like a councilor/renta  cop), guy calls the troopers, troopers send 2. Guys show up at guys door at about 1 pm via chopper(town is 250 people), begin arresting the gentleman struggle,  and guys kid(19 years old) shows up with a rifle and opens fire from the rear. Kid runs and barricades himself in another building, VSO calls state trooper HQ and says we got 1 maybe 2 dead troopers, kid barricade himself in another house, get here NOW!!! State Swat shows up. talked him out alive about 11 pm that night.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not agree with it at all. I would be pretty pissed. Do not know how often it happens, but I recall someone here saying it happened to him so it isn't just the show.

I got in a wreck back in 2005(roll over) truck was toast but trooper responded, and since I was carrying I legaly had to inform her(no pics, didn't have camera, but she was CUTE(and married)), she secured it, secured me in the rear of her rig(it was -20 outside, I WANTED to be in there), ran the gun, threw it in a ziplock in her pocket with the magazine separate. I got it back after the tow truck showed up to take me away.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Neither do I.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:09:52 AM EDT
[#38]
It is a tragedy about the two dead troopers.

That being said I have had very few positive interactions with AK state troopers.  I could care less what police wear.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Our Troopers are awesome!!

one encounter I had trooper pulled me over for no seat belt he asked for my current registration

conversation as follows

mdw: well I can not do that i'm sure you noticed it's expired

AST: yes I did is there a reason for that?

mdw: nope I have no excuse I know it's expired, due to lazy procrastination I just didnt renew

AST: ok well expired tags carry a $115.00 fine and 2 points on your license, no seat belt is a $15.00 fine no points

mdw: ok fair enough

AST: this is what I'm gonna do, if you go get your tags I;ll just give you a verbal warning, but I am gonna issue you a citation for no seat belt

mdw: wow! seriously! Thanks!!!

trooper prints out the ticket comes back hands it to me, says have a nice day I say likewise and be safe, and thanks again on the tag warning

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Our Troopers are awesome!!

one encounter I had trooper pulled me over for no seat belt he asked for my current registration

conversation as follows

mdw: well I can not do that i'm sure you noticed it's expired

AST: yes I did is there a reason for that?

mdw: nope I have no excuse I know it's expired, due to lazy procrastination I just didnt renew

AST: ok well expired tags carry a $115.00 fine and 2 points on your license, no seat belt is a $15.00 fine no points

mdw: ok fair enough

AST: this is what I'm gonna do, if you go get your tags I;ll just give you a verbal warning, but I am gonna issue you a citation for no seat belt

mdw: wow! seriously! Thanks!!!

trooper prints out the ticket comes back hands it to me, says have a nice day I say likewise and be safe, and thanks again on the tag warning

View Quote

I think self deprecation and honesty goes pretty far with most decent LEO's.  People are sometimes just assholes, though.  On both sides of the equation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You do realize that 99% of LEOs in the lower 48 in daily duty also dress this way right?  Some of you spend way too much time on the internet.
View Quote

No no no, cops all wear special forces uniforms (whatever those are).
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#42]
I spent a few years living on Kodiak island. Has a few run ins with troopers. One I was out at a fishing spot just watching how people fished salmon and he check my license and told me where the better fishing spots were.

The second time my divo managed to crash her Tacoma in to a ditch on the side of the highway facing the wrong way. The trooper was there first stopped traffic for me while set up to snatch her truck out of the ditch. Let me borrow the received hitch from his ride because the tacoma had no where to hook to in the rear. Had the taco out and turned around the right direction in five minutes, he thanked me for the help and we went to work.

Worked out good for me because I had an excuse being late that day... woke up a bit late.

Word got around the ship I knew how to un-stick trucks so that got a bit annoying.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Obviously officer safety and a show of force is required after someone murders two troopers...
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
there are few professionals left anywhere, including leos
View Quote

Amen brother.

From all walks of life from Government, to private business (although I will say private "professional" being better than most) is all suffering from lack of professionalism.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#47]

One thing, the State of Alaska has money. So that they don't force their State Troopers to conduct armed robbery, in form of traffic tickets, on their citizens on a daily base.

The local city cops are less impressive. There seems to be too many pension seekers from the lower 48 have moved up there and bring along the usual thuggery with them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Having lived in AK, I also have a positive view in general of AK State Troopers.

On the TV show I saw one trooper comment, off hand, that "we are often out here in ones or twos, we're a far ways out, everyone has guns, so we get a lot further with words and talking things out than threats."  I'm paraphrasing but in person I saw a similar mentality oriented towards de-escalation rather than calling in overwhelming force as the first resort.

Certainly seems to be fodder for the idea that when the police are relatively few and equally armed with the people then they are more likely to behave like a part of civil society rather than as a separate warrior sub-culture.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Having lived in AK, I also have a positive view in general of AK State Troopers.

On the TV show I saw one trooper comment, off hand, that "we are often out here in ones or twos, we're a far ways out, everyone has guns, so we get a lot further with words and talking things out than threats."  I'm paraphrasing but in person I saw a similar mentality oriented towards de-escalation rather than calling in overwhelming force as the first resort.

Certainly seems to be fodder for the idea that when the police are relatively few and equally armed with the people then they are more likely to behave like a part of civil society rather than as a separate warrior sub-culture.
View Quote

I am one of the most anti militarization, no knock, dog shooting people on this site.  That being said as a former resident of AK, there are no finer State Troopers anywhere in the nation.  Period.  I know several of the guys on the TV Show Alaska State Troopers, and you don't see them running around shooting dogs because they are barking. Class acts Period.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The first Alaska State Trooper I ever encountered picked me up hitch-hiking.
He secured my pack, knife and rifle in the trunk and I got to meet a true Alaskan professional.

I rode for him for well over an hour and he was an immense supply of good, practical, down to earth knowledge.

Samples:

"You can camp at Ft. Abercrombie in Kodiak for 2 weeks at a time but the last I heard is the way they are enforcing it is that they let you move your tent to another site and let it slide and start the two weeks over again. You might find someone in the Fort to trade sites every two weeks if it's crowded." (proved to be 100% true)

"I don't know when the season officially starts but a lot of the canneries have bunk houses you can stay in for little or nothing if you work there. Check out the B&B cannery. My neighbor's kid says they're pretty good to work for." (again proved to be 100% true)

"Your chances of getting on a fish boat are slim. You'd be better off trying to find shore side work" Spot on.

"There's a lot stuff they enforce in the Lower 48 that we can't be bothered with unless we're specifically called for it. If you have a lick of common sense you will know what is and isn't important." True story. That shocked me to hear a LEO say that to say the least.

"Most people that move here are either running from something or looking for something. If someone is trying to escape a serious crime we'll eventually catch up with him. If it's something minor he can generally get a fresh start here if he behaves himself."  QFT

Much of this has likely changed but you have to remember this was in the later part of the 70s when I met this officer.

View Quote

The further you get away from the cities the more that is still true. I grew up in Juneau and there is plenty of stuid in town but the closer you get to the outlying communities a lot of things change.

The comparison to the old west is spot on in many ways. You are kind of expected to handle your own shit and there isnt much tolerance for a lot of the behaviour that is common down here in the "real world"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top