Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/5/2018 1:00:54 PM EDT
One of my cards I use specifically for firearm related purchases was compromised today. Used it at the following this past week.

Optics planet.
Midwest industries.
Brownells.
Stag.

Could be random, but heads up.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Over the past six months all four of our credit cards have been replaced because of suspicions activity
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#2]
you might check out privacy dot com and put a 'virtual condom' on your cards
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought from all of those places and many others.  Shit happens.

A heads up is no more necessary for anyone than a regular day.

You should be checking your accounts regularly, regardless of random arfcom posts.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
No big deal. thats why i use credit cards not a debit card.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I turned on the alerts so it texts my phone for anything over 10bucks.  Feel like that helps me catch it quicker, but it still happens.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Great, bought from 2 of those on your list
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Was the card compromised the past week, or was it compromised weeks or even months earlier and now being put to the test.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I turned on the alerts so it texts my phone for anything over 10bucks.  Feel like that helps me catch it quicker, but it still happens.
View Quote
If you own a credit card this is one of the best things you can do to protect yourself. Mine are set at $5 and many times I have the text alerts before I even leave the store.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
This!

a) If you're not using a virtual credit card (Citibank Secure Online Account Number or BofA Shopsafe or the like) then you're taking needless risks!

b) Coming online to badmouth a bunch of reputable vendors for a card compromise is poor form at best.  If your card were only used one place, that's one thing, but given you apparently have no real idea where the compromise happened...
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I just hung up with Chase, someone opened an Amazon card in my name.

I fucking hate scammers.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]
No reason to think that the problem was with those companies. It could've been compromised a while ago.
Stayed at any Marriot Hotels by chance?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Two of mine. Both times my CC co. were on it!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#13]
The last time my CC got compromised, it was from LAPG.. I mean it was like 10 mins after I placed an order
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One of my cards I use specifically for firearm related purchases was compromised today. Used it at the following this past week.

Optics planet.
Midwest industries.
Brownells.
Stag.

View Quote

Credit card fraud may not necessarily have occurred with an online retailer.
Your card may have been compromised if you used it at a business where you lose sight of it, i.e. restaurant, and the card gets swiped secretly through a card reader that retains data from the magnetic strip. Later, days, weeks or months, the swiped credit card numbers are then used for a transaction.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Optics planet.
Midwest industries.
Brownells.
Stag.

View Quote
I'm thinking it's Brownells; it is the retailer I have in common with you. Citi Card compromised last night. 2 unauthorized purchases (1 at Urban Outfitters and the other at Zumiez). Possible it's a coincidence though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Was the card compromised the past week, or was it compromised weeks or even months earlier and now being put to the test.
View Quote
This.  No way to know when it was stolen.

Or it could even have been a lucky random card number generator that hit it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The last time my CC got compromised, it was from LAPG.. I mean it was like 10 mins after I placed an order
View Quote
Someone else wanted a mystery bag as well
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Optics planet.
Midwest industries.
Brownells.
Stag.

View Quote
OP...thousand of people have their card info stolen every day.

So your warning is about as useful as a weather forecaster telling people that it's raining, when everyone can look outside outside and see that it is raining.

_
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#19]
My PayPal debit card has been stolen and used three times. Once they said it was physically swiped at a hotel in Amsterdam....while it was in my wallet in Alabama, another time it was physically swiped at a grocery store in Chicago buying candy...while it was in my wallet in Alabama. Paypal always refunds the money but never tells me if anyone was caught or if anything was done other than issuing me a new card. 2 of the times was shortly after going through a toll so I suspect the toll had a skimmer and I did not notice it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you own a credit card this is one of the best things you can do to protect yourself. Mine are set at $5 and many times I have the text alerts before I even leave the store.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine's set for a $1.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I put my alert threshold at $.01 as very low charges are often the initial test that’ll be followed by the big whammy. Had this happen last year and contact with my credit card fraud detection team confirmed the practice.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#22]
First world problems...
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Cash is king, OP. Go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wifi?  Did your neighbor's LAPG order arrive in time?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Cash is king, OP. Go be poor somewhere else.
View Quote
My experience shows that cash back is king.  Cash has become a drag queen.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#26]
So was my card, same day as a Stag order.

Some one was trying to place big orders from Nike site, CC deny-ed them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm thinking it's Brownells; it is the retailer I have in common with you. Citi Card compromised last night. 2 unauthorized purchases (1 at Urban Outfitters and the other at Zumiez). Possible it's a coincidence though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Optics planet.
Midwest industries.
Brownells.
Stag.

I had my CC compromised after a Brownells purchase on Black Friday.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't forget it's entirely possible that the compromise is happening with the CC processor, and not the store.

I've had a brand new card, little-used card compromised after a single purchase, and in that instance it was
obvious that the card processor had been hacked and not the merchant.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Still waiting on replacement card, sucks not having one.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Still waiting on replacement card, sucks not having one.
View Quote
Have multiple accounts/cards...one is none and what not
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I also had a hack after buying from Stag.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe the hack came from the country that made the charging handles?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Uhm. Weird. Same here.

I think Stag needs to explain their security well before their charging handles.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Processed through their website. I canceled the CH.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Going to cancel my order now!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You should be checking your accounts regularly, regardless of random arfcom posts.
View Quote
/this

I try to use my cards through Samsung Pay as much as I can.  Your transaction gets run under a generic CC number.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hard to say, it was a $0.00 charge today.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I put my alert threshold at $.01 as very low charges are often the initial test that’ll be followed by the big whammy. Had this happen last year and contact with my credit card fraud detection team confirmed the practice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're doing $0.00 charges now.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#39]
My CC company cancelled half of my Black Friday purchases thinking my card was stolen

I was pissed because they were all legit and I lost quite a few great deals
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So your warning is about as useful as a weather forecaster telling people that it's raining, when everyone can look outside outside and see that it is raining.

_
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Optics planet.
Midwest industries.
Brownells.
Stag.

_
I seem to only have issues after I use my card at firearm web retailers. I seldom make online purchases anymore but it's looking like a coincidence especially with the retailers that opt to store your card for future checkouts.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Happened to us. Some dick ordered a $678 blender. Paypal caught it, relayed it to our bank, drove two miles- got a new card. Paypal did press charges- had to give a statement to the Police.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Had a couple fraud charges yesterday on my CC.  Used at Stag Arms and Brownells over the black friday sales.
Might be with them.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#43]
For the first time ever, I had my card number stolen a few weeks ago.  I had used it at a Walmart a day before so I don't know if that was where it got stolen, but I had also bought some parts from an AR manufacturer (won't name them as unsure if that's where it happened) about a week before.  They must have made a fake card with the number as someone tried to use it at a gas station in Los Angeles (refused) and to buy some $6 item online in New York somewhere (also refused).  My card company is pretty good about shutting my card down if a purchase is all of a sudden attempted way far away from my address.  Pissed me off being without a card for a week waiting for the replacement.

Pro-tip: if you travel or go on vacation notify your card company generally where you are going to avoid a shut down card.  My wife recently went to the Philippines and I notified the CC before she went so she had no problems using it there.  Amazingly her card number never got stolen.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Each of my cards is comprised about once a year.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
A.W.D.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No big deal. thats why i use credit cards not a debit card.
View Quote
This, and is why it blows my mind that so many folks use debit cards for everything and follow the no credit card advice (like Ramsey cult followers) to make online and other purchases.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My CC company cancelled half of my Black Friday purchases thinking my card was stolen

I was pissed because they were all legit and I lost quite a few great deals
View Quote
Which one?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
yeah Chase said that they denied a purchase yesterday to Rebock.  So wouldn't surprise me if it was Stag related now.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Interesting development my card was with Chase also.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Mine was on the 5th ordered from Brownells and Optics Planet
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top