Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing - Helen Keller

ETA:

The full quote - Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no
safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
View Quote
Lol, that quote is total bullshit. Risk is always present, but many risks can be mitigated. Many, many dangers should absolutely be avoided because it is much safer than any exposure. This quote is basically Helen Keller old-school YOLO. Being too risk-averse is a negative, but so is taking risks without any consideration or estimation of the potential outcomes and the odds of their occurrence. This Alex Honnold guy is not taking uncalculated risks, he isn't doing any of these dangerous solo climbs without making sure he is prepared for them. He works every single day to be the man he needs to be in order to not fall.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Lol, that quote is total bullshit. Risk is always present, but many risks can be mitigated. Many, many dangers should absolutely be avoided because it is much safer than any exposure. This quote is basically Helen Keller old-school YOLO. Being too risk-averse is a negative, but so is taking risks without any consideration or estimation of the potential outcomes and the odds of their occurrence. This Alex Honnold guy is not taking uncalculated risks, he isn't doing any of these dangerous solo climbs without making sure he is prepared for them. He works every single day to be the man he needs to be in order to not fall.
View Quote
You think he's going on a climb when he's on the verge of getting a cold or there is a slight chance of wind gusts? Having said that, there is still a great risk of semething happening beyond his control even on a perfect day (cramp, falling rock, something crazy like a bird, etc) The part that Alex has mastered that most other climbers couldn't do is eliminate doubt during his climb. When he gets in a tough spot where he has to make a quick decision (with only two possible outcomes), he decides what the best route is quickly without any doubt. Doubt in your mind at any point on a rock with no rope is a killer.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

at about 4:45
"Yeah, I have pretty big fingers, it's hard to get them in a small crack"
HER reaction is priceless....
View Quote
That's Lara Logan, the reporter that was brutally gang raped by an Egyptian crowd during the arab spring.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#4]
There is no doubt that he is an amazing climber.  I would wager on him in damned near any chun-up contest.
Unfortunately, unless he stops now, he will probably be dead within a couple of years.  Odds like those that he risks, enevitably catch up with him.

Just like my friend's brother who used to be one of the top BASE jumpers in the world....focus on the "used to be" part.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
yeah that's The one... Damn that's just a crazy pace. Wow
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dan Osman was also free solo speed climber. Simply insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX7p3jfr0mA
yeah that's The one... Damn that's just a crazy pace. Wow
I was just going to post that he wasn't long for this world and then I searched his name and found out I was about 20 years too late....link.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just looking at those photos makes my palms sweat lol.
View Quote
Me too. I need a chalk bag just to scroll through this thread.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll expect to read his obituary in a year or two.
View Quote
exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Amazing.

There's a good doc on Netflix called Valley Uprising about the generations of climbers in Yosemite. There's a bit on Honnold.
View Quote
I came to post this. It's a really good movie.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was a rescue/medevac pilot in California for many years. These types of people kept me in business...

They don't ever think about those of us who risk our lives to save them from their stupid decisions.
View Quote
Were you ever forced to rescue someone? I bet you made the choice to go in and get them. I'm sure he won't mind if you leave him laying in the woods. 
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Were you ever forced to rescue someone? I bet you made the choice to go in and get them. I'm sure he won't mind if you leave him laying in the woods. 
View Quote
I have never been forced to do anything. It certainly was my sworn duty and choice, but I have risked my life at times to ultimately perform a body recovery. Life is full of tough choices, but some people make it harder than it has to be.

He may not mind being left in the woods, but your government frowns against it in their park...
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Bet he would love to climb Verona Rupes. A sheer rock face cliff on Miranda, a moon of Uranus. Its 33,000 ft straight up.
Tallest known cliff in our solar system

Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He used to be in commercials, haven't seen anything in some time. I figured he'd dropped out of sight, so to speak.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60489/ah-222630.JPG

has he ever had a psychiatric exam?
View Quote
It's funny you should ask that.......

The Strange Brain of the World’s Greatest Solo Climber
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I was just reading on BBC that in 2015, people were in awe that two guys partnered to "speed climb," did it without climbing aids but WITH safety harness ropes to prevent fatal falls. The big news was the did in 19 days, which was WOW just two years ago.
Now, I want to put in perspective of Alex's true feat, sure it nuts that he had no climbing aids, no safety harness, no safety ropes, and no "sped climbing partner"... what's CRAZY, he friggin did it in 4 hours... No make that under 4 hours!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was just reading on BBC that in 2015, people were in awe that two guys partnered to "speed climb," did it without climbing aids but WITH safety harness ropes to prevent fatal falls. The big news was the did in 19 days, which was WOW just two years ago.
Now, I want to put in perspective of Alex's true feat, sure it nuts that he had no climbing aids, no safety harness, no safety ropes, and no "sped climbing partner"... what's CRAZY, he friggin did it in 4 hours... No make that under 4 hours!!!!!
View Quote
Unfortunately you've either misread or misunderstood that which you'd read.

19 days is not a speed record on El Cap.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He used to be in commercials, haven't seen anything in some time. I figured he'd dropped out of sight, so to speak.

Very interesting.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
@buoux I did not misquote the article. I never said it was the fastest ascent, it was the first for no climbing aids including the fastest for no climbing aids. Please read the article and watch the video, it really put into perspective what Alex did.
BBC article 2015. 19 days for team ascent of El Capitan with no climbing aids only safety ropes and harness.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Eureka Wall w/ Hazel and Alex

Super Sketchy E9 On UK Sea Cliff - Hazel Findlay
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks good read.
" Honnold completed that climb, known as Moonlight Buttress, in Utah’s Zion National Park"
Just reading that I noticed my heart beat kick up a click or two and my palms moistened. I love Zion crack

I am torn between feeling sorry for or envies about the "No Fear " type of person.
Palms still slightly moist.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bet he would love to climb Verona Rupes. A sheer rock face cliff on Miranda, a moon of Uranus. Its 33,000 ft straight up.
Tallest known cliff in our solar system

https://desdelespolondeorion.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/verona-rupes_01.png
View Quote
Almost no gravity though, he could fart to the top.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@buoux I did not misquote the article. I never said it was the fastest ascent, it was the first for no climbing aids including the fastest for no climbing aids. Please read the article and watch the video, it really put into perspective what Alex did.
BBC article 2015. 19 days for team ascent of El Capitan with no climbing aids only safety ropes and harness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

same cliff, different route. Honnold did not free solo the dawn wall, he free solo'd freerider on the other side of the nose. The dawn wall is a significantly harder route, which as superhuman as he is, alex honnold is not capable of free soloing.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#22]
He sounds like a great guy to "hang out" with.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I've climbed in the past, with the peak (pun intended) of my career leading a summit of Seneca Rocks, WV.  A few years back I went to Yosemite and make a point to climb the scree pile up to the Alcove, just so I could touch the face of El Cap.  What Honnold did is mind boggling.

Some pics from my trip.

Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Weaponized Autism.  

It's not just for Politics.

Dudes an inspiration.         It's going to be a sad day, when he dies.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#25]
First footage is released showing daredevil climber make history by becoming the first to scale Yosemite's famed 3,000-ft El
Capitan mountain without a single piece of safety gear or ropes

Link
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Again, watch the documentary.

It's like us climbing a ladder.

He knows he's not going to fall.
View Quote
We all make mistakes though...I know I'm not going to fall walking across a room, but do trip every now and then.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was a rescue/medevac pilot in California for many years. These types of people kept me in business...

They don't ever think about those of us who risk our lives to save them from their stupid decisions.
View Quote
If it weren't for people like this you'd be an unemployed rescue pilot.....
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

First footage is released showing daredevil climber make history by becoming the first to scale Yosemite's famed 3,000-ft El
Capitan mountain without a single piece of safety gear or ropes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HoUDDetAg0

Link
View Quote
He's impressive but that clip, although showing how high he was, sucked
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I listened to Honnold's appearance on the Joe Rogan podcast.  He came across a lot like a lot of other sports prodigies we've seen.  Almost....nerdy.....about his craft.  

And not thrill-seeking, per se.  More calculated than that.  He said the big free solo climbs are 4-5 times per year, for the cameras and the remainder of the year he's mostly climbing with ropes (99% of the time is what he said).

Very smart guy.  Very thoughtful.  Doesn't drink much, doesn't party much, doesn't chase girls like you'd expect.  He said the climbing itself is already taking a back seat to just traveling and seeing places.  

Something else is going on with his head, and with his climbing in general.  I don't think we'll see him go while attempting something outrageous.  He might even live to be an old man.  We'll see.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Free climbing Yosemite's El Capitan without ropes or safety gear | 1st solo climb to top
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Much better video
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top