Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WW1 is mighty depressing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I started to watch it, but it seems mighty depressing.   I researched the plot (never read the book) and decided the whole story wasn't something I wanted to watch.   War is hell.
WW1 is mighty depressing.

The military leadership should have been tossed onto the barbed wire right after the first couple of times they ordered a mass storming of MG and accurate artillery defended lines. Old men using the last centuries tactics against modern weapons and refusing to change the tactics.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I started to watch it, but it seems mighty depressing.   I researched the plot (never read the book) and decided the whole story wasn't something I wanted to watch.   War is hell.
View Quote

Your doing yourself a disservice by never reading or watching AQoTWF.    Probably one of the best war stories ever told.  

It’s really an anti-war story and that is why it’s important.

Personally the book was influential in my decision not to join the military back in the day.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Your doing yourself a disservice by never reading or watching AQoTWF.    Probably one of the best war stories ever told.  

It’s really an anti-war story and that is why it’s important.

Personally the book was influential in my decision not to join the military back in the day.
View Quote

Luckily Democrat politics saved the day.

Just finished watching it. Thought it was ok, definitely better than 1917
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I made it about 90 seconds, the subtitles telling me "animal noises" and "rain drops" was more than I could handle.

Is there settings that can be changed for that?
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]
It was better than 1917, but otherwise 'meh'.  Sorry I wasted over 2 hours on it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
No spoilers please.  I don't want to know who wins the war.

Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I made it about 90 seconds, the subtitles telling me "animal noises" and "rain drops" was more than I could handle.

Is there settings that can be changed for that?
View Quote

@Tanren37 It has English voiceover available.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I watched it last night and thought it was really good. They did a great job showing the Hell on earth no mans land of WW1 that was an insane war.

The scene where the hungry German soldiers steal the goose and cook it made me think that's exactly whats going on with the Russians in Ukraine today.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#9]
This movie should not have been associated with All Quiet On The Western Front...it would be better as a standalone movie.  Call it "1918" or something.

I was expecting a more vivid depiction of the original novel, and I was very disappointed.  

As it was, I found it slow and boring, but mesmerizing but I had to watch it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Watching it now. Have around 30-40 minutes left. Really good movie.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I watched the first 45 min of it or so on Netflix this afternoon, before I got stopped and had to take care of a few things around the house.  It may have just been my settings, but it was overdubbed in English and the speakers had British accents.  I would've much rather had it been in (what I assume was the original) German with subtitles.  

I'll have to finish tomorrow or some other time when I have time to.
View Quote

I believe German is an option.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This movie should not have been associated with All Quiet On The Western Front...it would be better as a standalone movie.  Call it "1918" or something.

I was expecting a more vivid depiction of the original novel, and I was very disappointed.  

As it was, I found it slow and boring, but mesmerizing but I had to watch it.
View Quote

Mostly this.  It depicts the horrors of trench warfare and is gritty.  I read the book and watched the 70's film with Jon Boy.  Those are better, IMHO.

I think the ending of this was not as good.  Many lives wasted for nothing at the end of the movie is fine.
But the other versions had it not only wasted at the end, but entirely random, which I felt was important.
I have never seen the 1930's version
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I watched an hour and 45 min the war had ended.
That music was weird it reminds me of the Tom Cruise movie war or the worlds.
Would of been better with actual time period music.
Inky dinky parley vue.
View Quote

Yeah the music was weird and hurt the movie.

Still definitely worth watching.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Damn good movie.

I'm surprised there wasn't a full on revolt right there at the end.
View Quote

The French almost did.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I liked it a lot. The tanks and flamethrowers were hardcore.
View Quote

Liked seeing the French tanks. I never saw those in a movie before. The flamethrower scene seemed fake.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#16]
It was a good film.

I swear some of GD would poopoo the movie if Gal Gadot and Kendall Jenner were in it and making out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a German war movie. Spoiler alert: they all die.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Great movie. Watched it the other night.

Being a German speaker, another interesting thing about the movie was how many of the soldiers had different dialects giving the watcher a insight on their background.
I am going to purchase it for my collection.
View Quote

I, too, watched the film in its original dialogue
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Watched it last night.  Pretty 'dark' and intense. Reminded me of parts of Saving Private Ryan, like the scene in SPR where the German slowly thrust the dagger into the chest of the American kid. That kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Production wise it seems pretty good just started watching it. The music though completely out of place and not very good
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#21]
As a stand alone WWI flick, I liked it. I was disappointed in it though as it really doesn't have a lot in common with the book other than the main characters. I understand certain liberties are taken for film, but big moments of the book are Paul's furlough and him sneaking away to spend time at the catholic hospital. While an accurate depiction of WWI, it should have had a different title.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damn good movie.

I'm surprised there wasn't a full on revolt right there at the end.[

[Quoted:

The French almost did.
View Quote

French Army mutinies of 1917 shook the French high command and lead to changes in the high command.   The "reforms" and the introduction of US Doughboys helped buck up the French to continue in the fight.

The German Navy did mutiny in late 1918. Basically told they were going to steam out to have a Final Battle with the British Fleet that they'd die in, just so the Kriegsmarine could say  "They All Died with Valor in Battle for the Kaiser"...   Sailors said "Fuck THAT!!"  which started the German Revolution that overthrew the Kaiser & ended the war.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I found it long and boring. YMMV.
View Quote

Me too.  Wife and I got bored and ended up turning it off.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As the Kaiser began to run out of able bodied men late into the war soft drafts began in schools.  There was an infamous offensive where tens of thousands of 17-20 year old kids died for no real military objective.  seeing the next generation slaughtered turned public sentiment against the war.  I believe that loss of life and corresponding will essentially stopped German offensive operations.

Horribly sad.  Movie made my stomach churn.  In all human history there's never been such a singular place where men went to die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can someone give me some context? Were these kids from an ROTC highschool or was this a last ditch draft?

As the Kaiser began to run out of able bodied men late into the war soft drafts began in schools.  There was an infamous offensive where tens of thousands of 17-20 year old kids died for no real military objective.  seeing the next generation slaughtered turned public sentiment against the war.  I believe that loss of life and corresponding will essentially stopped German offensive operations.

Horribly sad.  Movie made my stomach churn.  In all human history there's never been such a singular place where men went to die.
Sounds Familiar
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Good movie. Depressing
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Liked seeing the French tanks. I never saw those in a movie before. The flamethrower scene seemed fake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I liked it a lot. The tanks and flamethrowers were hardcore.

Ya, I wish they had toasted some krauts for real
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought it was a good movie with a high realism factor introducing elements I hadn't seen in previous WW1 movies. Very depressing, but any war movie that isn't depressing is a fairytale.  

What I gathered from reading this thread:
-- A lot of ADD and inability to comprehend a storyline.  "Need non-stop action!"
-- "It wasn't EXACTLY like the 94 year old book Ive never read. Fuck this garbage!"
-- "The ominous background sounds [not music] aren't period correct for 1917 Silent Films. Needs more Player Piano!"

Link Posted: 10/31/2022 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#28]
The ninja farm boy was fucking bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oh man!  The dying French soldier.
View Quote

Yeah…

Link Posted: 10/31/2022 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#30]
What fork doing
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

For some reason, they think that flamethrowers are just oversized blowtorches with like an eight foot range.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#32]
The book is very well written and a favorite, this adaptation, not so much. There were some interesting elements for sure, but overall it strayed too far from the original story line and we felt let down. We sat through it, shouted at the TV and decided that we were one and done. Very sad.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What fork doing
View Quote

That scene was brutal.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#34]
This just proves it's impossible to please some people. If they had done a remake you'd hear the usual bitching about how Hollywood doesn't have an original idea, etc. So instead they take themes and elements from the story but try to do so in a new way instead of copying the previous movies, and people bitch about how it's not like them...

Having read the book and seen all three movie interpretations, I think they did a great job keeping it fresh while staying true to the underlying subject material.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just figured flamethrowers were shitty back then.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I really enjoyed it, although it shares little with the book and original movie. It could have been called something else.

I always wanted to see a movie showing the sheer amount of brutality and deaths of WWI like I read in books and this is the closest to what I imagined.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Basically a family dispute that cost the lives of millions and then set the ground work for a second war that resulted in the loss of even more people.

The USA should have never been involved, Woodrow Wilson was basically the Devil incarnate.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Rebels win, with the help of some Vietcong Teddy Bears
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try and catch a feral kid in their own back 40.  A motivated small human is a fox.  Not sure if the kid could move swiftly with a 10lb rifle though
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought so at the time. Now I’m more team farm boy (they were kinda raiding the farm, you get shot for that stuff). I picture him becoming a major player in the WW2 underground resistance, still mad about his breakfast.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I believe German is an option.
View Quote

Like “Das Boot” watching it in German is a must.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I just figured flamethrowers were shitty back then.
View Quote

I wasn't so much referring to that, but people screaming/running after taking a direct blast of flame. It would suck the air out of you, you would be DRT.

Most killed by flamethrowers were killed by carbon monoxide, basically go to sleep without any burns at all.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Too bad its on Netflix. I would have liked to have watched it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2022 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

French Army mutinies of 1917 shook the French high command and lead to changes in the high command.   The "reforms" and the introduction of US Doughboys helped buck up the French to continue in the fight.

The German Navy did mutiny in late 1918. Basically told they were going to steam out to have a Final Battle with the British Fleet that they'd die in, just so the Kriegsmarine could say  "They All Died with Valor in Battle for the Kaiser"...   Sailors said "Fuck THAT!!"  which started the German Revolution that overthrew the Kaiser & ended the war.

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

And in Russia the result was the USSR.

German sailors in WW1 showed great courage, mutiny suggests they had built up a lot of resentment.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Watched it last night.  Better than 1917 in my opinion.  Read the book in high school, circa 1970, but don't remember much. 17 million dead?  That's a lot of bodies and minds wasted.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I’ll watch it. WW1 combat is incomprehensible to me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

And it’s rather good.   Could hardly tell it was dubbed unless I looked closely at the lips moving.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Production wise it seems pretty good just started watching it. The music though completely out of place and not very good
View Quote

I also thought the synthesized soundtrack choice was odd at times.   But other times it was brutally on point when making sounds like industrial mechanization (hammers pinging away) when troops were being slaughtered in a factory-like nightmare.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Ya, I wish they had toasted some krauts for real
View Quote

Please explain?
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And it’s rather good.   Could hardly tell it was dubbed unless I looked closely at the lips moving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how I'm watching it with the English voiceover and actually it's very hard unless you're really paying attention to see that it's off just slightly
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top