Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#1]
theres more to worry about from the 'Deliverance' extras than the bears.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heading to Flathead NF in July. I'm carrying a 12 gauge for around camp,for hikes I'm buying a 10mm Glock (torn between a 20 and 40) with Buffalo Bore hardcast , the wife will carry her Sig 9mm but with LeHigh Penetrators. We will also carry bear spray. Currently looking at bear fences for stringing around our tent.
View Quote
Buy the Glock 40 MOS.  Install some steel sights on it and load it with Underwood or Buffalo Bore ammo.  That is the exact setup I take whenever we go into bear country.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I lived in the NC mountains for years and never had any problems with bears. If you feel like you need something, carry bear spray and whatever your EDC is now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Black bears are basically big dogs.

Stamp your foot and yell, they'll take off.
View Quote
This.

My father has a few stories about chasing them out of camp in the middle of the night in his underware with a flashlight and a .22 pistol.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer a 10 mm.

There's a book by a man named Greene who was the company commander of Idi Amin in Tanzania.  Anyway, one soldier emptied his Sten gun magazine into a Rhino and killed it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

QFT.  

The bears in the Smokies aren't dangerous.  Worry more about the rattlesnakes.
View Quote
That's not entirely true, there have been attacks in the park.  A couple years ago a kid was snatched from his hammock and mauled by a bear.  Luckily his dad was able to fend him off and get him out of there to get help.  But having said that I think bear spray would be more than adequate protection.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
10mm is winning. Guess I have to go out and buy a gun that will shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#8]
The book where the askari kills a rhino with a 9mm Sten gun is Maj. Iain Grahame's Jambo Effendi: Seven Years With the King's African Rifles.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#9]
.41 mag - plenty of energy with a good sectional density for penetration
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Once you walk among the grizzlies, you laugh at black bears.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Triple Ought Buck Shot  
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Once you walk among the grizzlies, you laugh at black bears.
View Quote
I have- in Alaska. I ain't gonna laugh at any black bear.

The old curl up in a ball trick will get your ass kicked by a griz and maybe dead;  it ain't a maybe with a blackie.

Bear spray and big-bore caliber handgun with hardcast lead bullets for a back-up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I prefer a 10 mm.

There's a book by a man named Greene who was the company commander of Idi Amin in Tanzania.  Anyway, one soldier emptied his Sten gun magazine into a Rhino and killed it.
View Quote
Good info right there

except we don't have no Rhinos here

We used to have these a million years ago, except this asshat kilt them all away last year

OH by the way...if you see some black kittahs that are bigger than what you have at home don't pet them either

and small black and white kittahs, don't smell good
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455681/yotsuba-323036.JPG

The correct answer is 10mm 180gr JHP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bear spray 45 ACP with FMJ
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455681/yotsuba-323036.JPG

The correct answer is 10mm 180gr JHP.
HP for bear defense...... WRONG /trump
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm going to be staying about 3 miles outside of the Smoky Mountains at the end of this month with my immediate family and grandmother. We will be visiting the park at least once I'm sure and I see it's legal to cc in the park with the exception of federally "occupied" buildings.

I'm not interested in bringing an ar with me as I will not be carrying it around the park so with my only options as of right now being a 9mm and .45, the question is: am I going to die by insufficient stopping power or insufficient mag capacity?

FWIW, I'm sure a family member will have bear spray with them so there's that.
View Quote

Eh, just black bears.

Just take some bear spray and don't leave food out.  You'll be fine.

If you want to take a firearm, neither 9 or 45 are really all that good for black bear, but I suspect 9mm will penetrate better.  Those more knowledgeable may correct me on this.  If I was choosing for this situation, I'd choose 9mm FMJ, assuming that's compliant with all applicable laws.

As long as you don't give them a reason to come around (leaving food out) and you don't intentionally dick with them, they won't bother you.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top