Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2022 7:37:33 AM EDT
A recent trend I've seen both on the jobsite and just around town is Carhartt vests.

I see their utility in shoulder season, they are a good way to stay warm without overheating.

It's been cold as hell though and guys are putting them over their heavy sweatshirts or jackets.

I've always considered a vest a mid layer. It goes under your jacket to act as core insulation, and if you heat up you shed your shell while retaining your vest.

I don't have one of the cool kid vests, just a el-cheapo synthetic that goes under my jacket.

Am I the one doing it wrong, or am I just witnessing the latest trend in men's rural fashion?
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A recent trend I've seen both on the jobsite and just around town is Carhartt vests.

I see their utility in shoulder season, they are a good way to stay warm without overheating.

It's been cold as hell though and guys are putting them over their heavy sweatshirts or jackets.

I've always considered a vest a mid layer. It goes under your jacket to act as core insulation, and if you heat up you shed your shell while retaining your vest.

I don't have one of the cool kid vests, just a el-cheapo synthetic that goes under my jacket.

Am I the one doing it wrong, or am I just witnessing the latest trend in men's rural fashion?
View Quote

Been wearing mine over a hoodie for years
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Idk? I use a Milwaukee Heated M12 vest, and M12 Hoodie and M12 coat.
I'm always hot.
The heated vest over a nice wool shirt is all I need, down to about 20 degrees. Colder than 20, I reach for the coat.
If you wanna get yourself a real work vest OP, look at the M12 vest.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it even get cold there?
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm always hot.
The heated vest over a nice wool shirt is all I need, down to about 20 degrees. Colder than 20, I reach for the coat.
View Quote

I have a heated jacket, I wore it to work one time....it's too much.

It's good for ice fishing or watching a game on cold bleachers, but I don't like it for moving around.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Fashion: it happens over & over.

Boomer checking in when vests—especially down vests—over a denim jacket or sweatshirt started in the 1970s, along with gym shorts on the outside of sweatpants.  Tube socks & Adidas, FTW, too.

In the 1960s, you wore a vest under a coat, then the puffy down vest took off into the 1970-1980s, likely because all the rich/cool kids skied, I guess.

I never understood the fashion of either, but have never owned a down vest.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's good for ice fishing or watching a game on cold bleachers, but I don't like it for moving around.
View Quote

The heated coat is a bit much. It has to be downright nasty, for me to reach for it, but you may enjoy the heated vest over a flannel. It works for me most of the winter.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Boomer checking in when vests especially down vests over a denim jacket or sweatshirt started in the 1970s, along with gym shorts on the outside of sweatpants.  Tube socks & Adidas, FTW, too.

In the 1960s, you wore a vest under a coat, then the puffy down vest took off into the 1970-1980s, likely because all the rich/cool kids skied, I guess.

View Quote

Down vests are really warm. I had one in the seventies. It went under a coat if you needed one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Down vests are really warm. I had one in the seventies. It went under a coat if you needed one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boomer checking in when vests especially down vests over a denim jacket or sweatshirt started in the 1970s, along with gym shorts on the outside of sweatpants.  Tube socks & Adidas, FTW, too.

Not if you were a fashionable cool kid….

Do you even Marty McFly, bruh?

Attachment Attached File

Yes, that was the 1980s, but I lived though the fashion….without the “cool” because, poor parents at the time.  When I started working, I really couldn’t justify fashion over function.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I don’t think it matters.  It is just personal preference.

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too. I always put it over my hoodie until winter (since 1980, when I moved to Buffalo). In winter, I usually wore a filled jacket over a hoodie along with thermal underwear.

When I moved back to L.A., I usually wore a filled vest over my dress shirt (the air conditioned offices are brutally cold). The first year dental students all wore filled vests to class one day (and took photos) to make fun of my choice in style.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked with a guy that had one and one day it ripped, every time he moved feathers poofed out all over the place.

I don't doubt that they are super warm though, I have a down sleeping back that is a furnace to sleep in.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't compare a sweatshirt to a coat.
There are many types of vests.
I guess I'd break it down to materials.
If I had a vest made out of sweatshirt fabric I'd wear it under.
A vest made the same as a coat, like youre talking about I'd wear over a sweatshirt.
I have a fleece vest and jacket. I wear the vest under.
Consider the fit of the sweatshirt. A vest might be to bulky to wear under.
I buy my sweatshirt with the notion that I'll put something over it rather than under.

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I wear a vest over a heavy flannel, hoodie, or sweatshirt.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wouldn't compare a sweatshirt to a coat.

View Quote

You should get some Arborwear sweatshirts, they are better than coats.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I want to like vests but find them mostly useless.  The only one I wear is blaze orange for deer hunting so I can wear layers that actually do what I want under it.

Eta posting from my deer blind
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I’ve never really had any use for vests.

If you’re cold, they’re cold too. Bring them inside.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m not sure about the fashion, but I like the function of my down vest over a long sleeve shirt.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A recent trend I've seen both on the jobsite and just around town is Carhartt vests...

...Am I the one doing it wrong, or am I just witnessing the latest trend in men's rural fashion?
View Quote
Carhartt vests definitely are designed to be worn on the outside of a long-sleeve shirt or jacket/hoodie.

I submit the photographic evidence from the manufacturers website below to back up my claim, which should be common sense to begin with.

https://www.carhartt.com/c/men-vests
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Whatever works for you. But I wear mine on the outside.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm always hot.

That’s what’s great about the m12 heated hoodie
Turn it on when sitting, off when moving, always the right temp
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I have vests that go under jackets and vests as outerwear.

I don’t like the outerwear as much, when it is cold enough for that, sleeves are better.

The fleece mid level ones are great with a light jacket, remove jacket, still have something warmer than a shirt and easy to conceal a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54270/22C732AE-7ECF-402D-A2B7-75CFFED5294B_jpe-2605744.JPG

Yes, that was the 1980s, but I lived though the fashion….without the “cool” because, poor parents at the time.  When I started working, I really couldn’t justify fashion over function.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54270/22C732AE-7ECF-402D-A2B7-75CFFED5294B_jpe-2605744.JPG

I did that for Halloween recently.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Carhartt vest are an outer layer for me. It's for when it's not quite cold enough for a coat.

I also like that their rugged and don't tear as easily as a flannel or hoodie
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#24]
If you are layering, a hoodie will not be an outer layer.   It would take the place of a fleece or light insulation layer.  

- base layer (thermal t shirt)
- long sleeve shirt
- fleece/hoodie
- insulated vest
- weather proof shell

If it’s not wet or windy, the shell comes off.
Getting too warm?  Vest comes off.
Sun comes out and it gets even warmer? Hoodie comes off.

So you see, you actually would be wearing the vest properly this way - under the shell or over coat (the outer most layer).
Easy and functional.  Don’t be retarded.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Boomer checking in when vests—especially down vests—over a denim jacket or sweatshirt started in the 1970s, along with gym shorts on the outside of sweatpants.  Tube socks & Adidas, FTW, too.

View Quote

I remember this. In HS the cool kids all wore a down vest over a Levi jacket. I was more of a fashion statement than functional.

I worked outdoors on a dairy farm. Once vests became a thing, we all wore them UNDER our Carhart coats. Much warmer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I wear a vest over a heavy flannel, hoodie, or sweatshirt.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I've tried wearing vests a few times and just feel silly wearing one.  They seem pointless to me.  Cold enough to wear one then it's cold enough to wear a jacket or coat.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#28]
It is not vest related but I was surprised to learn that Carhartt has become a fashion brand.

My daughters friends started showing up with knit Carhartt hats this fall and now they are everywhere.

Good for Carhartt and maybe my old work clothes have become cool.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had one on and had my back too close to the fire.

That plastic melts pretty quick.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I wear mine over the top of hooded sweatshirts. I wear one almost everyday and only put the big coat on when we are out in the snow storms.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I wear mine over a fleece long sleeve shirt in cold weather.
Cold weather here is anything below +15 degrees.

It has been there for the last 10 days.
Currently it is -1 in west central Idaho.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I've never heard of "shoulder season" in my entire life & have no idea what that means.

Btw, did you get in on the recent terrible concrete job thread? I @'ed the concrete guy in New Yawk with the Calvin avatar and wasn't sure if it took.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here.

35 years of year-round concrete construction in Minnesota.

A couple years ago I invested in a couple of those ArborWear double sweatshirts, 1 with a zipper, one without. I use the zipper as a thermostat, same with the hood. Leg and chest zippers on my Walls insulated bibs serve the same function.

The only thing that ever got cold was my fingers, probably from years of handling ice cold rebar and scaffolding to just shy of frostbite.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Vests are perfect for jacket weather where it's not cold enough for a coat.  And for just running around town, I can wear a long sleeve shirt and a vest nearly all winter long.   Much more comfortable than a coat.

In full blown coat weather, I can see wearing them as additional layer under your coat.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you are layering, a hoodie will not be an outer layer.   It would take the place of a fleece or light insulation layer.  

- base layer (thermal t shirt)
- long sleeve shirt
- fleece/hoodie
- insulated vest
- weather proof shell

If it’s not wet or windy, the shell comes off.
Getting too warm?  Vest comes off.
Sun comes out and it gets even warmer? Hoodie comes off.

So you see, you actually would be wearing the vest properly this way - under the shell or over coat (the outer most layer).
Easy and functional.  Don’t be retarded.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Carhart FR vest as outer layer while at work.

Down vest under jacket while hunting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Vests go over long sleeves in cold weather
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Hoodie with a vest over it. If it's brutally cold I'll put a real jacket on top of that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've never heard of "shoulder season" in my entire life & have no idea what that means.

Btw, did you get in on the recent terrible concrete job thread? I @'ed the concrete guy in New Yawk with the Calvin avatar and wasn't sure if it took.
View Quote

I didn't, send me a link.

Shoulder season is fall and spring when it jumps between too cold and just right while out camping or whatever.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be crazy to wear a Down Vest under a jacket.  I have been wearing vests since the 70s and always wore and still wear one on the outside of a flannel. sweater, or a light jacket.
My current vest is a Carhartt with the sheep wool.   It's about not restricting my arms that makes it work for me, not fashion.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#41]
I was rocking the “management fleece vest over button down shirt” option yesterday.

The guys broke my balls.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Another instance when vests are good are when you need to wash your hands a lot or are working where thick sleeves to the wrist are a problem.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#43]
They're going to work better as a midlayer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#44]
I operate Sitka vests in their camo pattern and in a brown suede pattern.

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#45]
A work vest takes the wear and tear of work and keeps shirts and jackets cleaner and newer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
"Shoulder Season" would be the transition from fall into winter and winter into spring.

I think the most relevant context is how it relates to ground conditions
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#47]
If it's under your shirt you can't use the pockets and you need a larger size shirt. Most vests are made of exterior-grade abrasion/tough fabric and not engineered for undershirt wear.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Never owned or worn a vest.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#49]
@sitdwnandhngon

Right Up Your Alley
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#50]
I wear it as a top layer, as it is the first thing I want to shed if i get too warm.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top